Audience Behaviour - Thread 2

On 20/04/2024 at 17:47, Rachel H said:

At the matinee of 'Swan Lake' this afternoon, the couple next to me started humming along during act 2! I shushed them, and the woman looked at me as if to say 'what's the problem? This is jolly isn't it,' and started humming a bit louder. They got another 'shush' from me, which did the trick.

Yesterday evening someone near me, though I wasn't certain who, did a bit of humming during Siegfried's solo at the start of Act II & Odette's solo later in the same act. I found myself thinking that there's a distinct advantage to less well-known ballet scores, given some people seem to hum along when they recognise music.

• Like 7

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s certainly fine to hum along to the radio in your car, for example. But in a public place where people have paid to hear live music/a live performance, it does seem bizarre. It should be obvious that opera and ballet don’t require audience participation as maybe pantomimes or musicals do. Maybe they need to start putting that on the cast sheets.

I certainly hope people don’t do it at the Proms (I haven’t been for a while so I don’t know)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

What do people think of conductors who hum along to the music?

I never sit near enough to them to hear them....but if I did, I wouldn't want to hear them anymore than I would want to hear an audience member!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

What do people think of conductors who hum along to the music?

Well, since the chances of my ever watching him conduct again are likely to be around zero, I'm not that bothered.

23 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Is it The Attic Term when Lawrie, a droning singer, volunteers to conduct so she can "be Sir Thomas Beecham and hum"? I don't have access to mine in order to check. IIRC she then suggests André Previn as his hands go like Concorde's nose. 

@Lindsay @DelphiumBlue @CCL?

Haha yes it is! When they are preparing their Form's contribution to the Carol Service.  But after Lawrie has a theatrical attempt at conducting they (correctly) decide that her talents would be better used in a dramatic reading of Kipling's Eddi's Service 

• Thanks 1

I return to a topic that was discussed here some time ago. I visited the Vienna State Opera on Saturday to see the ballet performance of The Lady with the Camellias by John Neumeier. As the weather was very cold, all the audience came in coats or winter jackets. In front of the entrance to the auditorium, all those who did not put their coats in the cloakroom were uncompromisingly detained by the auditorium staff and sent to the dressing room. No one was allowed to enter the auditorium wearing a coat. It should be noted that there is no charge for leaving clothes in the cloakroom, only voluntary. I really liked this procedure.

• Like 4