Audience Behaviour - Thread 2

Thank you all for the kind words. It did mar an otherwise lovely evening. 

I was just discussing it with the person I took with me and she said she was worried that he might follow us out. Thankfully I'm not like that really, but I wasn't aware she was conscious of it.

I've just sent off an email explaining what happened. It's probably best they're aware of what can happen after they have spoken to people causing trouble.

I have medical conditions, I can't always go when I want to (I've had to return a lot of bookings due to not being up to it at the time) and so each time I go is quite precious. It also costs me a lot. I've been in pain since and I'm still extremely tired, so to go is a big deal for me, and to have it try to be ruined by others is a lot.

I'd go for a box, but the four seats and the price, and the fact I prefer the views from stalls/stalls circle mean I have to be around more people who at any time are liable to behave like this.

• Like 10

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m very sorry for your unfortunate experience emmarose but on the whole I do think this behaviour is rare at the ROH and you have been very unlucky. I hope this won’t put you off going to much..I’ve had some lovely conversations with neighbours at the ballet. 
I’ve never had an adult kick the back of my seat ( seriously out of order) but it did once happen with a child. It can be so difficult to know exactly how to deal with it when you don’t know the people. 

I try to start out by assuming the person doesn’t realise they are causing a problem and mostly this approach does work!! But once had to ask the parent to have a word (wondering why they hadn’t already!) and had to sort of bite my tongue saying I know how difficult it is for young children to sit still etc. Anyway it did stop! 

But have to say in all the 50 years on and off of ROH attending I’ve been incredibly lucky and had mostly pleasant experiences and hope this turns out for you too emmarose. 

Talking of smells …many years ago now back in early 80’s I took a German friend visiting who also loved ballet to ROH. We had just been to the German shop which used to be in Knightsbridge and she had bought a couple of cheeses there. 
About half way through the performance there was this dreadful smell which we realised was coming from her bag( we were in the Amphi) 

It was very embarrassing but then worse ( and probably unforgivable) we then started to get the giggles about it so not very mature behaviour but it’s the worse thing when you know you shouldn’t be laughing to suppress it! 

• Like 5

Current bugbear is people who are so intent on posting to the virtual world of social media at the end of a performance that they block the stairways and corridors because they are not looking where they are going, are totally unaware of their real time environment and the negative health and safety impact of their behaviour on those around them. As my grandmother used to say “An accident waiting to happen!”

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, emmarose said:

the fact I prefer the views from stalls/stalls circle mean I have to be around more people who at any time are liable to behave like this.

What a horrible experience for you......however as @LinMM had suggested, this sort of aggressive behaviour is likely to be very rare... hopefully next time you will meet a lovely neighbour  who will restore the balance to a degree! Most times I have found people nearby very polite, and often prepared to chat and share ballet gossip and experiences. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

Current bugbear is people who are so intent on posting to the virtual world of social media at the end of a performance that they block the stairways and corridors

Also I have seen several instances, pre performance start or resumption,  of younger fashionably dressed ladies, on their own or with partners, standing in the aisle whilst taking numerous selfies or having someone take shots of them in artful poses. All very entertaining, apart from the problem of the aisle clogging up with people trying to get to their seats.....

• Like 2

It was such a one off, as many of you have said, so many times I've had wonderful chats with people I'm sitting near or even ones who come down and want to take a pic where I'm sitting, I'll offer to take it and they'll chat about where they've travelled from. This was a complete one off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Talking of smells …many years ago now back in early 80’s I took a German friend visiting who also loved ballet to ROH. We had just been to the German shop which used to be in Knightsbridge and she had bought a couple of cheeses there. 
About half way through the performance there was this dreadful smell which we realised was coming from her bag( we were in the Amphi) 

It was very embarrassing but then worse ( and probably unforgivable) we then started to get the giggles about it so not very mature behaviour but it’s the worse thing when you know you shouldn’t be laughing to suppress it! 

Oh dear, @LinMM  I would have had the giggles too.  It puts me mind of the incident in Three Men in a Boat, where one of the characters carries 2 ripe cheeses on to a train and manages to empty the entire carriage!

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

standing in the aisle whilst taking numerous selfies or having someone take shots of them in artful poses. All very entertaining, apart from the problem of the aisle clogging up with people trying to get to their seats.....

Yes they are HUGELY annoying. I’m always having to not so subtly clear my throat to get them to move.

I understand if it is their first time in the ROH, but maybe wait until the interval to do it, not when people are trying to get to their seats. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LinMM said:

I’m very sorry for your unfortunate experience emmarose but on the whole I do think this behaviour is rare at the ROH and you have been very unlucky. I hope this won’t put you off going to much..I’ve had some lovely conversations with neighbours at the ballet. 
I’ve never had an adult kick the back of my seat ( seriously out of order) but it did once happen with a child. It can be so difficult to know exactly how to deal with it when you don’t know the people. 

I try to start out by assuming the person doesn’t realise they are causing a problem and mostly this approach does work!! But once had to ask the parent to have a word (wondering why they hadn’t already!) and had to sort of bite my tongue saying I know how difficult it is for young children to sit still etc. Anyway it did stop! 

But have to say in all the 50 years on and off of ROH attending I’ve been incredibly lucky and had mostly pleasant experiences and hope this turns out for you too emmarose. 

Oh that reminds me of the time that I bought a Stilton cheese as a Christmas present for a friend. Came from the shop in Covent Garden and had a very strong smell. My friend had to take it with her on the train from King’s Cross. I expect she had plenty of empty seats around her!

• Like 4

Entertaining scenes last night before the performance started: a couple in a balcony box were having a really major photo shoot session: he had a small tripod....she was wearing an extravagant dress.  At one stage she perched on the ledge (with her back to the house) sitting quite far out as it were...somewhat noticeable and somewhat alarming....I was glad not to be sitting in the stalls below. .....an usher soon hurried along and told them No ( I presume) but shortly afterwards she was back again- with much posing, twisting about etc etc. There was much hilarious comment from the people around me in the  left amphi who had a great view of it all, - but really it was absurd ( and dangerous.)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mary said:

Entertaining scenes last night before the performance started: a couple in a balcony box were having a really major photo shoot session: he had a small tripod....she was wearing an extravagant dress.  At one stage she perched on the ledge (with her back to the house) sitting quite far out as it were...somewhat noticeable and somewhat alarming....I was glad not to be sitting in the stalls below. .....an usher soon hurried along and told them No ( I presume) but shortly afterwards she was back again- with much posing, twisting about etc etc. There was much hilarious comment from the people around me in the  left amphi who had a great view of it all, - but really it was absurd ( and dangerous.)

Wow. Sounds really dangerous to me. I do not like heights, so can't understand why anyone would do that! 😱

• Like 6

If she had fallen, she is likely to have killed or permanently paralysed whoever she fell on downstairs in the orchestra stalls while she escaped with minor or no injuries (unless the seats and aisles were all vacated). Even a small object like a mobile phone or opera glasses falling from the ledge could cause serious or paralysing injuries if knocked off onto someone below. Another reason why I no longer buy orchestra stalls tickets any more.....and if I have to, it's as far away from all the ledges as possible. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

Wow. Sounds really dangerous to me. I do not like heights, so can't understand why anyone would do that! 😱

Exactly, how bizarre. I’ve seen people put small bags/glasses on the ledge part around the stalls circle and have been told by the usher to remove them. This is a step above that - I feel like they should get an official warning as they are endangering others and themselves.

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 3

I had a good view of this carry on too as was in the Balcony on the same side as this box. There was this moment when both the lady and a gentleman posed right on the edge of the box sort of leaning backwards and it almost gave me an attack of vertigo watching them!!! I didn’t realise an usher had spoken to them. But they were no problem during the performance at least. It was actually all the flashing cameras that drew my attention to the box. I didn’t recognise the lady in the glam dress as being anyone famous but then my distance glasses might need renewing lol ( performance thread) 

Talking of vertigo I just don’t know how anybody stands up in the slips area of the Amphi as you are exposed to the whole auditorium space up there 😳.
Definitely should be free to stand …or even paid danger money!! 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Talking of vertigo I just don’t know how anybody stands up in the slips area of the Amphi as you are exposed to the whole auditorium space up there 😳.
Definitely should be free to stand …or even paid danger money!! 

I tried it once, for Don Quixote back in the Stretton era. Never again! I had to leave after 5 to 10 minutes ☹️

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alison said:

I tried it once, for Don Quixote back in the Stretton era. Never again! I had to leave after 5 to 10 minutes ☹️

The first time was a bit alarming but I adjusted after a few minutes and don't give it a thought now. Having had vertigo temporarily once I do sympathise with those who can't stick it.

Much worse IMO is the front row of the Paris Opera Garnier top tier: I made it through the performance but did NOT adjust to that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Much worse IMO is the front row of the Paris Opera Garnier top tier: I made it through the performance but did NOT adjust to that.

Is it just as bad not in the first row?

I have read views are good and unobstructed but awful leg room and gets very hot. Given I’m not a regular in Paris I’ve therefore avoided that part of the theatre and treated myself to their version of orchestra stalls, as well as the their version of the balcony (one below top tier) and I’ve also been on the stool seats at the back of a box. In fact my worst view was from the middle of the orchestra stalls as the was little rake and the seats aren’t staggered so someone’s head is right in front of you! Overall on average I do think you get better views at the ROH (although I haven’t sat in the orchestra stalls at ROH!)

• 2 weeks later...

"Singer halts Symphony Hall concert and says 'this is distracting' as he attacks new rules"

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/singer-halts-symphony-hall-concert-29017426

As I read this, the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra is OK with phone use for "photographs and short video clips at our concerts," and is "supportive of audiences being able to use their phones at appropriate moments during our concerts."  Has BRB said anything on the matter? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, alison said:

"appropriate moments". That leaves a lot of leeway for interpretation, doesn't it? What happens when there's a difference in interpretation?

In my view no part of Les Illuminations is an appropriate moment for taking pictures or filming, especially when you have the pleasure of Ian Bostridge performing it.  

• Like 5

Quite. I wouldn't want any additional lighting effects on the sunrise from Daphnis and Chloe, for instance, just because someone else deemed it an "appropriate" moment 😀

• Like 2

To me, an 'appropriate moment' is before or after the show, or during the interval!

At the matinee of 'Swan Lake' this afternoon, the couple next to me started humming along during act 2! I shushed them, and the woman looked at me as if to say 'what's the problem? This is jolly isn't it,' and started humming a bit louder. They got another 'shush' from me, which did the trick. Mind you, she was also a finger tapper as well. They behaved a bit better during act 3 thank goodness! I know the conductor was good, but I would rather listen to his interpretation of the Tchaikovsky score, that their off tone humming, personally!

• Like 11

In response to Ian’s article - allowing a short picture or video is a real slippery slope.

It means audience members who call out these behaviours (because ushers don’t notice or are too far away) will receive rude(r) and more emboldened pushback as now they’re “allowed” to do it. A photo becomes a video, a short clip becomes recording a whole scene etc. 

Lunacy from Birmingham I’m afraid, if this were my local venue I’d be writing to tell them I’d no longer be attending performances there until they get rid of that allowance. Why would I spend money to see a unique live performance only risk being distracted by the audience!

I always remain baffled at people who don’t understand why live performances are so exciting. You are physically there, in the moment, watching it with your own eyes not through a screen. Why you want to shove a phone in front of your face to record it, just go home and watch the DVD? If you want social media “bragging” rights taking a photo of the curtain call, or pre curtain up, or in the floral hall etc should suffice. 

Maybe they should make attending a theatre compulsory for all schoolchildren (I know I know unrealistic with current funding etc) with a pre production talk from the company about why it’s so important to be in the moment and how cameras ruin it for everyone. I wonder if they do pre talks for the school matinee performances that could cover this! A pipe dream to build a generation of theatre/dance etc loving children! 

• Like 13

16 hours ago, Rachel H said:

At the matinee of 'Swan Lake' this afternoon, the couple next to me started humming along during act 2! I shushed them, and the woman looked at me as if to say 'what's the problem? This is jolly isn't it,' and started humming a bit louder. They got another 'shush' from me, which did the trick. Mind you, she was also a finger tapper as well. They behaved a bit better during act 3 thank goodness! I know the conductor was good, but I would rather listen to his interpretation of the Tchaikovsky score, that their off tone humming, personally!

How incredibly annoying. I’ve also had the unfortunate experience of sitting near someone who felt the need to bob their head and wave their fingers around as if they were the conductor… Extremely irritating!

• Like 1

On 20/04/2024 at 09:47, Rachel H said:

To me, an 'appropriate moment' is before or after the show, or during the interval!

A number of years ago, I was at a performance of Turandot.  When it came time for Nessun Dorma, which the entire audience was waiting to hear, the woman sitting directly behind me started humming along (and off key, though that is beside the point).  I turned around, looked at her, and, genuinely begging, said, "Pleeeease."  She was surprised and stopped,  but it was too late, the spell of the aria had been broken by her contribution. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Josette said:

A number of years ago, I was at a performance of Turandot.  When it came time for Nessun Dorma, which the entire audience was waiting to hear, the woman sitting directly behind me started humming along (and off key, though that is beside the point).  I turned around, looked at her, and, genuinely begging, said, "Pleeeease."  She was surprised and stopped,  but it was too late, the spell of the aria had been broken by her contribution. 

I hate it when people sing along to opera.  I mean I don't go to these things for audience participation.  It's not the Rocky Horror Show with a call and response script.  I had someone singing along to La donna e mobile when I went to see Rigoletto the other year and my regret was they were too far away to work out who it was and shut them up.  

I mean I went to a Lieder recital last week and I was singing one of the songs very badly on the walk home, but I waited until I was walking back so I only annoyed the people in the street.  

• Like 5