Audience Behaviour - Thread 2

42 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I've been asked quite a few times and the requests have always been courteous. Most recently it was for a group of visitors from Africa who wanted a photograph in front of Charles Wesley's statue. I'd have felt very churlish refusing, but that's not because they'd have set out to make me feel that way.

It's good to be in a position to do something nice for people, especially strangers!

Yes - my only fear is that I will take a rubbish photo of their big moment!

• Like 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a phone box (remember them?) opposite the Houses of Parliament, towards Whitehall, and I have often seen entire bus loads of tourists queuing up for the chance each to have their own individual selfie with phone box and Big Ben in the background.

I now try and avoid that section of the square if I can, not because I don’t want to help (it is a well-organised activity, they don’t need help) but because it can be hard to get past. 

Edited by Geoff

3 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I cannot STAND those people. If I see people like that in London, as a Londoner I make a point of walking in the background of their photos accidentally on purpose

I try to keep out of people's photos but it can be tricky to do so. In the past if you saw someone taking a photo you would walk behind them to keep out of the way but now at least half the time you actually have to walk in front of them to avoid their photos. As for taking photos, given most people who ask will be holding phones rather than cameras nowadays I politely explain that I have OCD so I'm not prepared to remove my gloves to use their phone. (One of the reasons I mostly use my camera rather than my phone for photos is that I can work my camera with gloves on.)

Getting back onto audience behaviour rather than tourist behaviour, in Act I of today's Giselle two women in a box seemed to think that their box was sound-proofed given the number of audible comments they made during the act. At the start of the interval while I was dithering over whether to try to say anything to them a man sat a couple of rows back stood up & spoke to them. They were evidently audible for some distance! They were quiet in Act II. Other than that the audience in my vicinity today were pretty good, apart from the girl next to me checking her phone a number of times. I didn't say anything, as she was foreign so I wasn't sure if she'd understand. Also frankly I was so grateful to have got through 2 performances without any popcorn within smelling distance!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know audience behaviour at the ROH cinecasts cannot be hoped to be as good as that at the ROH itself, but yesterday's Manon encore screening had probably the worst audience I've suffered at a cinecast. It started with more people than usual not turning up until the pre-show interviews were well underway, most of whom decided that it was fine to talk at normal volume while finding their seats. People likewise began to talk loudly as soon as each act ended so Darcey Bussell & Petroc Trelawney were virtually inaudible & for once I was glad of the subtitles. Then several times during Act I someone sitting near the front got out their phone & was taking photos of the screen. Eventually a woman, in the voice of someone goaded beyond endurance, snapped out "Put your phone away!". While I completely agreed with her sentiments, I wish she could have chosen a more suitable time to voice them than in the middle of Des Grieux's first solo. A few minutes into Act II a phone rang on 3 occasions in a short space of time and then later in the act a phone rang again, whether the same or another I couldn't tell. The owner of the latter phone finding it necessary to accompany silencing of said phone with some inane comment along the lines of "Oh, is that MY phone". All I can say is it's a good thing that, apart from the usual coughings, rustlings & whisperings, there weren't any extra interruptions in Act III or I might now be in jail for murder! The cinema capped it off by cutting the film as soon as the bows finished so there were no credits.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

I know audience behaviour at the ROH cinecasts cannot be hoped to be as good as that at the ROH itself, but yesterday's Manon encore screening had probably the worst audience I've suffered at a cinecast. It started with more people than usual not turning up until the pre-show interviews were well underway, most of whom decided that it was fine to talk at normal volume while finding their seats. People likewise began to talk loudly as soon as each act ended so Darcey Bussell & Petroc Trelawney were virtually inaudible & for once I was glad of the subtitles. Then several times during Act I someone sitting near the front got out their phone & was taking photos of the screen. Eventually a woman, in the voice of someone goaded beyond endurance, snapped out "Put your phone away!". While I completely agreed with her sentiments, I wish she could have chosen a more suitable time to voice them than in the middle of Des Grieux's first solo. A few minutes into Act II a phone rang on 3 occasions in a short space of time and then later in the act a phone rang again, whether the same or another I couldn't tell. The owner of the latter phone finding it necessary to accompany silencing of said phone with some inane comment along the lines of "Oh, is that MY phone". All I can say is it's a good thing that, apart from the usual coughings, rustlings & whisperings, there weren't any extra interruptions in Act III or I might now be in jail for murder! The cinema capped it off by cutting the film as soon as the bows finished so there were no credits.

Oh. dear.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I feel bad for you, Dawnstar- wish you could come to one of our local cinemas that does the cinema relays (unfortunately we are in the wrong direction for you- we are south of London). as it is usually quite empty and you'll never get disturbed by other patrons. Tends to be only older residents who can't travel in to London who watch them. The only time it was full was for Carlos Acosta's official RB farewell (Viscera/Tchaikovsky pas de deux/Carmen etc) and everyone was very well behaved. Never had any disruptions or technical/sound/lighting issues either (I hope I haven't jinxed them by saying the word "never"!) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I feel bad for you, Dawnstar- wish you could come to one of our local cinemas that does the cinema relays (unfortunately we are in the wrong direction for you- we are south of London). as it is usually quite empty and you'll never get disturbed by other patrons. Tends to be only older residents who can't travel in to London who watch them. The only time it was full was for Carlos Acosta's official RB farewell (Viscera/Tchaikovsky pas de deux/Carmen etc) and everyone was very well behaved. Never had any disruptions or technical/sound/lighting issues either (I hope I haven't jinxed them but saying never!) 

The cinecast audiences at my local cinema tend to mostly be older too, but that's evidently no guarantee of good behaviour! It was about half full yesterday. The encores never sell out. Your mention of technical issues reminds me that we also a had a few brief sound glitches & one brief picture glitch yesterday, but compared to the audience annoyances they barely registered with me!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

The cinecast audiences at my local cinema tend to mostly be older too, but that's evidently no guarantee of good behaviour! It was about half full yesterday. The encores never sell out. Your mention of technical issues reminds me that we also a had a few brief sound glitches & one brief picture glitch yesterday, but compared to the audience annoyances they barely registered with me!

I think our cinema doesn't do encores - I've only been when I had time to do a midweek cinema visit but not enough time to do the train journeys as well. (Would much prefer to see it live in person rather than in a cinema though. I even twice booked to see  performances that were cinema relays as I preferred seeing it on stage!) I hope you get luckier with your next one, Dawnstar! I know what you mean- disruptive behaviour can just be so annoying.

I haven't been to the Manon showings, but it is quite usual in Watford for the audience to talk through the interval features and get up to leave as soon as the curtain comes down - they don't even bother to watch the curtain calls, let alone the credits!  I have had people push in front of me to get out when I am obviously waiting to see the whole thing - which, on the whole, the projectionist is willing to show.

Cambridge does not seem to be having a good week with audiences & phones. I was at a matinee at the Arts Theatre today & a few minutes into Act I a phone went off. The person actually answered it & said "I can't talk right now. I'm at the theatre." before hanging up!! (I suppose I can only be grateful that the audience in my vicinity at Manon last night all behaved impeccably.)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FionaM said:

Some of my local cinemas now announce to turn off phones and not to talk during movies so as not to distract others!   Hooray!!

Yes, ours does too.

• Like 2

I'm going to extend this thread into Audience Behaviour in the Floral Hall at the ROH.  I was sat in my quiet corner before the performance minding my own business when the conversation of the couple on the adjoining table could not but help invade my consciousness. I'm sure you've all been told - never discuss your work in a public place (train / cafe etc).  Well, all rules were broken as I found myself listening to a detailed monologue about the ENB and their dancers. Snippets such as "her pointe work is only average" alongside information about who was dancing what (or not), rounding off by a comment that it was very funny to have Kevin announcing that the auditorium was open  and please take your seats. A quick look at the ENB staff on their website has shown me exactly who it was and I can only say that they need a serious conversation with HR.        

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JennyTaylor said:

Well, all rules were broken as I found myself listening to a detailed monologue about the ENB and their dancers. Snippets such as "her pointe work is only average" alongside information about who was dancing what (or not)

I would have been very tempted to lean over & ask if they could let me know the casting for Carmen!

• Like 8

I belong to an on line forum connected with knitting and sewing crafts. It is very well run - I always think of it as the craft version of Ballet Forum! A member recently posted a question complaining that she had been told by she could no longer take her knitting to the theatre! She was horrified by this and couldn't see what was wrong with doing it. Other posters agreed,saying they had taken knitting to ballet performances, the RSC etc. I'm happy to say that the majority responding were totally against it. Hope this lady doesn't put in an appearance at any performances attended by members of Ballet Forum!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

I belong to an on line forum connected with knitting and sewing crafts. It is very well run - I always think of it as the craft version of Ballet Forum! A member recently posted a question complaining that she had been told by she could no longer take her knitting to the theatre! She was horrified by this and couldn't see what was wrong with doing it. Other posters agreed,saying they had taken knitting to ballet performances, the RSC etc. I'm happy to say that the majority responding were totally against it. Hope this lady doesn't put in an appearance at any performances attended by members of Ballet Forum!

The first thing I thought of was the ballet  Sleeping Beauty and the King's mime of being put to death.....lol.

I wouldn't have any objection to her bringing the knitting into the building to while away time during the intervals, as long as she doesn't take it out during the show and knit while the performance is going on! 

• Like 3

I had a frustrating experience watching Sleeping Beauty Dreams last night, where there was a family behind us who had no theatre etiquette at all! There was one child (who, to be fair to them probably wouldn't have chosen to come to a ballet but probably had a relative taking part) who was kicking my companion's seat continously, sucking loudly on sweets, slurping a drink, talking during the dancing and laughing (at, not with, the performance). The adults were no better, as they were talking throughout and rustling sweet packets. We managed to escape and move elsewhere at interval, but it made the first two acts difficult to concentrate on and we both got very irritated. We weren't the only ones who moved either.

• Like 3

On 26/02/2024 at 10:27, academicdancer said:

I had a frustrating experience watching Sleeping Beauty Dreams last night, where there was a family behind us who had no theatre etiquette at all! There was one child (who, to be fair to them probably wouldn't have chosen to come to a ballet but probably had a relative taking part) who was kicking my companion's seat continously, sucking loudly on sweets, slurping a drink, talking during the dancing and laughing (at, not with, the performance). The adults were no better, as they were talking throughout and rustling sweet packets. We managed to escape and move elsewhere at interval, but it made the first two acts difficult to concentrate on and we both got very irritated. We weren't the only ones who moved either.

I wonder if the Sleeping Beauty Dreams shows have a bit more of a Relaxed Performance or Family Performance (like the ones ENB do for Nutcracker where small toddlers under 5 are allowed and you're warned when buying tickets that there may be more restless behaviour or chatter than usual) vibe.  I haven't been to SBD but I suppose if I did I would probably buy a seat somewhere like a box where you can be a bit further away from the more restless/disruptive attendees. 

22 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I wonder if the Sleeping Beauty Dreams shows have a bit more of a Relaxed Performance or Family Performance (like the ones ENB do for Nutcracker where small toddlers under 5 are allowed and you're warned when buying tickets that there may be more restless behaviour or chatter than usual) vibe.  I haven't been to SBD but I suppose if I did I would probably buy a seat somewhere like a box where you can be a bit further away from the more restless/disruptive attendees. 

Sleeping Beauty Dreams is the outreach community performance that was put on after auditions last summer. They only did one performance, so a relaxed performance wasn't on the cards I guess! The disruptive child in question was around 10 years old, so not little. The other kids in the audience were wonderfully behaved, and when another child got scared by Carabosse they were looked after really well by their family.

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday afternoon matinee at "The play that goes wrong", Duchess Theatre.  Never been there before so I checked the details.  Useful information about running times, including that the interval would be short, just 15 minutes and as no food or drink was allowed in the auditorium we'd all have to be quick with our interval refreshments.  Imagine my surprise to see that we were in a tiny minority of patrons without food and drink in the auditorium.  There was a positive hurricane of wrapper-crackling, chomping and slurping during the performance, not least from the young lad next to me with his family-size bag of Wotsits and his plastic bottle of water.  Luckily the gales of laughter at the on-stage antics overwhelmed the "feeding-time-at-the-zoo" cacophony.  (Really enjoyable farce, incidentally, but I wouldn't recommend the theatre for a quiet, contemplative play.)

• Like 1

It's quite instructive to be in audiences and see the growing extent of phone-social media dependency.

The warning given at Sadler's Wells is the best I have experienced, and still it doesn't matter to some. I sat in the stalls side seats last week and, in the corner of my eye, screens popped up regularly everywhere.

It seems to be mostly a female problem, unless there is a football/cricket/rugby match on. And this is middle-aged mums.  Goodness knows what the youngsters will be like when they start coming independently.

Seems to me to be a manifestation of a great societal problem. I don't know why we aren't more shocked by growing dependency, and manipulation by US corporations.

At least there are signs some schools are starting to take actions to protect children.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, postie said:

The warning given at Sadler's Wells is the best I have experienced, and still it doesn't matter to some.

probably too busy reading their screen to pay attention...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, postie said:

It's quite instructive to be in audiences and see the growing extent of phone-social media dependency.

The warning given at Sadler's Wells is the best I have experienced, and still it doesn't matter to some. I sat in the stalls side seats last week and, in the corner of my eye, screens popped up regularly everywhere.

It seems to be mostly a female problem, unless there is a football/cricket/rugby match on. And this is middle-aged mums.  Goodness knows what the youngsters will be like when they start coming independently.

Seems to me to be a manifestation of a great societal problem. I don't know why we aren't more shocked by growing dependency, and manipulation by US corporations.

At least there are signs some schools are starting to take actions to protect children.

Yep, it was happening in the Second Circle, too.  I can understand that there might be the odd worried parent wondering how the babysitter is coping at home, but not that many, surely?

• Like 1