Audience Behaviour - Thread 2

3 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

It's easier to up the cost of buying a token rather than programming a machine to accept cash or cards. Plus they save on bar staff wages. Just the way it is going today. No staff on supermarket checkouts, they try to make customers use self service machines, and the same at rail stations.

Don't get me on the subject of self-service tills!!!

I will no longer frequent the M&S in Lime Street Station.  When I passed through a couple of weeks ago it was to discover that they had got rid of any possibility of a human-operated till by removing those tills.  I know you had to be paying cash to use them but as I'm only usually getting lunch items it's not a problem.

• Like 3

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Sim said:

I guess I'm the odd one out.  I love popcorn!  But only if it's slathered with melted butter and salt.  I only eat it in the house, having made it myself from the kernels.  None of this bagged or microwave stuff for me!  I couldn't possibly imagine eating it in a cinema now (although I did as a teenager), and definitely not in a theatre!

Oh I love popcorn and often get it at the cinema especially the sweet stuff.  I just don't get it during live performances because I don't eat while watching live theatre, concerts or ballet because I want to focus on the live performance before me.  I sometimes get a glass of fizz beforehand or an ice cream in the interval but I don't eat during the show because I want to concentrate on what's going on and not risk spilling anything down me when I've dressed up for a night out.

If I'm at the cinema (especially for a blockbuster film) I often get popcorn but not when there's a live performance.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Typo: break in and steal bags of crisps 

My thoughts exactly! Really? Can people not eat for an hour or so? McDonald's smells so much!  At Les Mis, people were chomping and popping open coke cans etc. I found that annoying enough, but accept the theatre sells the stuff.  if that happened at the ballet? Hmmm. I would not be impressed! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I guess I'm the odd one out.  I love popcorn!  But only if it's slathered with melted butter and salt.  I only eat it in the house, having made it myself from the kernels.  None of this bagged or microwave stuff for me!  I couldn't possibly imagine eating it in a cinema now (although I did as a teenager), and definitely not in a theatre!

I love popcorn and the smell is mouthwatering. I have eaten it in the cinema in the past, when I was younger, but don't now. I have no problem with people eating and drinking in the cinema. I have huge issues with it at the theatre and ballet performances. With the kind of ticket prices I am paying, I expect uninterrupted viewing! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tango Dancer said:

Oh I love popcorn and often get it at the cinema especially the sweet stuff.  I just don't get it during live performances because I don't eat while watching live theatre, concerts or ballet because I want to focus on the live performance before me.  I sometimes get a glass of fizz beforehand or an ice cream in the interval but I don't eat during the show because I want to concentrate on what's going on and not risk spilling anything down me when I've dressed up for a night out.

If I'm at the cinema (especially for a blockbuster film) I often get popcorn but not when there's a live performance.  

I'm the same. I may have an ice cream, occasionally, at the cinema but would never eat anything during live performances - that would be too distracting for me and others. I may have one glass of champagne before a performance, on occasion, but wouldn't want to drink too much as alcohol makes me feel sleepy and I want to have my (albeit relatively small) wits about me! 

• Like 1

It’s not the popcorn itself though…rather like shooting the messenger lol…. …it’s the circumstances where it’s appropriate to eat it. 
For me that’s not in the cinema either unfortunately!!  Could people munch their way through popcorn in a film like Schindler’s List? Thought it might send you rushing for the popcorn afterwards to take the reality away!!! 
I suppose Mamma Mia or a light hearted musical might be acceptable to munch through. 

Personally I like the really unhealthy kind …nice and sweet for me please!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I suppose Mamma Mia or a light hearted musical might be acceptable to munch through.

I find some parts of Mamma Mia (the stage version, not the film) quite moving & would be jolly fed up if they were ruined for me by someone nearby munching popcorn! Actually I don't think the Novello (yet) sells popcorn. Mackintosh seems quite house proud of his theatres so hopefully he won't want popcorn messing up the carpets!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

With the kind of ticket prices I am paying, I expect uninterrupted viewing! 

Exactly.

I was annoyed by people eating popcorn in the cinema when watching Oppenheimer though (this was at the BFI IMAX in Southbank). I wanted to concentrate fully! Luckily it died down as the movie went on.

• Like 1

For me cinema popcorn is the sort of thing I do watching blockbusters, so the latest Star Wars or James Bond film, something with a fairly loud soundtrack and lots of explosions and a fairly thin plot.  I don't eat it if it's something more intellectual or involving subtitles but if I want a loud blockbuster for escapism then I will definitely have popcorn with it.  

• Like 4

Dawnstar my Mamma Mia popcorn post was aimed (and reluctantly) at cinema attendance not in the Theatre!! 
I could never approve of popcorn at a live Theatre show no matter what it was and mostly wish it wasn’t allowed in cinemas too. It’s just unfortunate that the quote out of context might give the impression I’m in favour of it!! 

• Like 3

When I was a child, my local cinema sold hot dogs.  My mother would occasionally allow me to have one if it was a certain time of day and I was hungry.  They were delicious.  I used to have my slathered with mustard and tomato ketchup.  Yummy.

I love popcorn, but I would never buy it at the cinema.  Why?  Because of the size of the portions.  I am sure when it was originally introduced, the serving would be a small paper bag's worth.  Now, see people buying what looks like a bucket full of the stuff, and a gallon of coke or some other soft drink to go with it.  People seem to be crunching and slurping for half an hour.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LinMM said:

Dawnstar my Mamma Mia popcorn post was aimed (and reluctantly) at cinema attendance not in the Theatre!!

I wasn't entirely sure which medium you were referring to, hence specifying the stage version rather than the film in my reply. Although I do hate popcorn in either place, as I find the smell pretty unpleasant.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

Wow a more exciting evening in Salt Lake City than mine!

Last night I went to a concert by the Ukrainian Symphony Orchestra on their national tour.  The audience was excellent, really well behaved and silent during the music and then loudly applauding when appropriate, also some shouts of "Slava Ukraine" at the end of the encore from the Ukrainian attendees which were understandable.  Also nobody appeared to feel compelled to bring popcorn, wine bottles etc, into the concert hall.   

Clearly civilised behaviour still is possible which gives me hope.  

• Like 9

I’ve been caught out once by sharing a seat in a box with other people I didn’t know which initially I wasn’t worried by at all …..but never again!! 
I knew that the seats were being sold “individually” for this box but it turned out I was the only “stranger” in the end and the other three definitely resented me being there …it looked as though they were celebrating a birthday and they didn’t want anyone else at the “party”

At least they were interested in the ballet though….Giselle. 
Anyway the one and only time will probably ever be in a box! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’ve been caught out once by sharing a seat in a box with other people I didn’t know which initially I wasn’t worried by at all …..but never again!! 
I knew that the seats were being sold “individually” for this box but it turned out I was the only “stranger” in the end and the other three definitely resented me being there …it looked as though they were celebrating a birthday and they didn’t want anyone else at the “party”

At least they were interested in the ballet though….Giselle. 
Anyway the one and only time will probably ever be in a box! 

Yeah that's what puts me off individual box seats, you don't know who else will be there.  

I've booked one for Opera North for a special occasion where the seats are sold individually and I bought all of them (even thought it's one more than we need) to avoid being in a position when some poor stranger has to put up with my family celebrating.  

• Like 3

The thing is Tango Dancer their celebrations wouldn’t have worried me that much if there had been the slightest inclination to acknowledge I wasn’t someone who had somehow gatecrashed the box!! A smile with “ hi, never mind us” “can you see okay” etc . 
I wouldn’t have expected to actually join their party!! 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

‘Look at the bloody tip!’: Jason Manford blasts messy theatre audiences

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/dec/05/bloody-tip-jason-manford-blasts-messy-theatre-audiences

The comedian posted a video of the ‘shocking’ amount of litter left behind after his performance in a panto, saying, ‘You wouldn’t treat your own home like that, would you?’

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 15/02/2023 at 22:06, MildConcern said:

I had a rather unfortunate run in last week at the Royal Opera House with an amphitheatre neighbour who proceeded to attempt to eat chicken wings all the way through Act 1. I do wonder if perhaps the security guards should flag a warning that you can’t eat in the auditorium when they perform the bag search and see this gigantic Tupperware. As it is, I eventually took it upon myself to politely tap her on her shoulder and tell her it isn’t allowed. She huffed but did stow them away, but unfortunately I found myself thinking about the interaction for longer than I should’ve. 

She also then proceeded to shoot me dirty looks in every interval, but that is beyond my control really

I had a very similar experience - perhaps same people and chicken wings?! they were two women. I also told them it was not allowed, but they just moved further to their left (!). It is the only time I've witnessed something so blatant, but too much water drinking sometimes...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ondine said:

‘Look at the bloody tip!’: Jason Manford blasts messy theatre audiences

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/dec/05/bloody-tip-jason-manford-blasts-messy-theatre-audiences

The comedian posted a video of the ‘shocking’ amount of litter left behind after his performance in a panto, saying, ‘You wouldn’t treat your own home like that, would you?’

Wait till he sees the mess audiences at The Lion King at the Lyceum leave behind....far worse! I was so appalled that we never returned for a repeat visit even the show and cast were excellent and I  would have been quite happy to see it again. It's as though people feel so entitled that they think walking to a bin to deposit their discarded cups, wrappers and boxes is completely beneath them. I can't remember whether I was more shocked at how much junk people stuffed into their bodies just in the course of a 3 hour show or what disgusting l hygiene/littering habits they had. 

• Like 5

Littering in theatres is something I feel very strongly about and hopefully training the (not so) mini-Blossoms effectively. We take everything out with us if the kids have eaten or drunk anything (in the interval) at our seats. This is one reason why I adore the ROH, if you can't take anything in, then nothing will get left behind.

Astounded by the chicken wing story though!

• Like 4

I'll admit to sometimes leaving my ice cream tub under my seat, but nothing more than that.  I went to see Noises Off last night (a particularly hilarious performance - I've never actually doubled up with laughter before!), and realised that there was a staff member standing at the exit doors with a bin bag, so picked up my tub and put it in there instead.  But if I were eating anything more littering than that I would certainly take it with me when I went, not leave it.

I know this is stretching the 'audience behaviour' subject but you have to smirk a little.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/06/venice-gondola-capsizes-tourists-canal

If only those who can't behave in a theatre or cinema could be tipped into murky water!

A group of tourists fell into a murky, cold canal in Venice when the gondola in which they were travelling capsized after they failed to heed an order to stop taking selfies and sit down.

The gondolier, who had been attempting a tricky manoeuvre as he navigated the vessel under a bridge close to the area of St Mark’s Square, also ended up in the water before scrambling to rescue his passengers

Theatre to the rescue, though!

A post on the Instagram page of Venezia Non è Disneyland (Venice Is Not Disneyland), an account set up by young Venetians to chronicle the mishaps of tourists in the city, said the group was brought to safety and provided with “hospitality and warmth” in the nearby La Fenice theatre.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Instead of ice cream, they should sell cough sweets in theatres.

(Or even hand them out for free, they don't cost that much)

The ROH used to provide free cough sweets. I can't recall when exactly they stopped but I was looking at a programme from 2009 recently & there was an advert for them in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Instead of ice cream, they should sell cough sweets in theatres.

(Or even hand them out for free, they don't cost that much)

If you can find proper cough sweets in noiseless paper, please let us know.