Audience Behaviour - Thread 2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Sim said:

Didn't the ushers do anything about the photography?

Absolutely nothing. Don’t know where the usher on my side went.

42 minutes ago, Sim said:

Ha that would be me....I still don't know how to switch off my phone's torch!!  However, my phone is in my handbag during the performance so I wouldn't know if it were on until the interval.  

Too funny, I guess should never make assumptions then!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

If it's an iphone, you can use your Harry Potter spells with Siri - lumos to turn on the light and nox to turn it off again!

I have never used Siri...I usually switch it off in annoyance as soon as it appears.  What a great piece of learning, BBB....many thanks!  I will try it when I have my daughter next to me in case I mess it up!!  😄

59 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

If it's an iphone, you can use your Harry Potter spells with Siri - lumos to turn on the light and nox to turn it off again!

Thanks BBB.  I actually got a torch app so that I could switch it off!  (At least only the free version with ads!)

3 minutes ago, alison said:

My new phone doesn't appear to have a torch.  Either that, or the command is hiding somewhere.  It has other annoying features like making you sign in before you can take a photograph :( 

surely there is a setting to switch that off?

Torch - is that now the photo-flash unit?

On 05/10/2023 at 11:24, alison said:

My new phone doesn't appear to have a torch.  Either that, or the command is hiding somewhere.  It has other annoying features like making you sign in before you can take a photograph :( 

The signing in - is that because you locked the phone for security? You can unlock it temporarily (go to Settings) on evenings/daytimes that you are going to take photos. But don’t forget to lock it again after the photo taking is finished. 

On 05/10/2023 at 09:10, Sim said:

Yes they did. It’s worrying how these disruptive people are able to get onto London’s stages.  Security needs to be tightened. 

The group seem to be acting like security “spot checks” to show up which theatres have lax security and which stages are too easy to invade. It’s horrendously unpleasant for audiences of course (especially if you’re a tourist or visitor  who hasn’t time to return for another performance to “do over” a ruined show, or a busy worker having a rare night off to relax).

But in this day and age, one does worry about what might have happened if the protesters  had been a group with sinister intentions.

I noticed that after the JSO protestors invaded the Sadler’s Wells stage, SWT subsequently had their security guards hovering in full view of the audience in the Stalls aisles near the stage before curtain up and at the end of every interval, and the ushers also stood nearby while the show was in progress. I hope they have sufficient staffing to keep it up for all future performances. Maybe that’s why everyone was so well behaved for ENB. 😉😂

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

The signing in - is that because you locked the phone for security? You can unlock it temporarily (go to Settings) on evenings/daytimes that you are going to take photos. But don’t forget to lock it again after the photo taking is finished. 

My previous phone has an icon on the front screen which you swipe and which allows you immediate access to the camera to take photos.  You only have to unlock the phone if you want to access the photos afterwards.  And I can't leave the phone unlocked because it has client details on it - GDPR and all that.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2023 at 10:15, bangorballetboy said:

I did not know this! Just tried it and it worked!  Thanks for posting  - it’s so cool! ❤️

On 05/10/2023 at 20:15, bangorballetboy said:

If it's an Android phone, the same thing works too!!

I have three actual lights linked to my phone so when I said "Lumos" it asked me if I was sure I wanted to turn them all on 😂 I said "no, Lumos torch" and it turned on the flashlight built in to the phone aka the light also used by the camera. Thank you @bangorballetboy!

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine went to see Alvin Ailey at Sadler's Wells.  She entered the auditorium behind two girls, who were carrying a pizza box.  The usher told them they could not bring it in.  "We are not going to eat it", they said.  "Too right", she replied.  "You can leave it here and collect it after the performance".

At Rigoletto this week, my wife and her friend went to the ladies in the interval on the right hand side of the amphitheatre as the five minute bell was ringing.  They were very upset to find a "40-year old, stylish" man urinating in one of the toilets, with the cubicle door open.  We were wondering if they were one of the new 57 genders.  I raised it with the house manager, but she thought he was probably in a panic with the interval ending and used the ladies in an emergency.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, li tai po said:

At Rigoletto this week, my wife and her friend went to the ladies in the interval on the right hand side of the amphitheatre as the five minute bell was ringing.  They were very upset to find a "40-year old, stylish" man urinating in one of the toilets, with the cubicle door open.  We were wondering if they were one of the new 57 genders.  I raised it with the house manager, but she thought he was probably in a panic with the interval ending and used the ladies in an emergency.

... and the band played "Believe it if you like" ...

6 hours ago, li tai po said:

A friend of mine went to see Alvin Ailey at Sadler's Wells.  She entered the auditorium behind two girls, who were carrying a pizza box.  The usher told them they could not bring it in.  "We are not going to eat it", they said.  "Too right", she replied.  "You can leave it here and collect it after the performance".

Patrons looking for the Ladies toilets regularly descend the stairs to the Gentlemans toilets. Whilst most retrace their steps when realising where they are, a few do continue onwards and use one of the few cubicles in this area.
I haven’t knowingly seen a woman use the urinals but patrons wearing dresses certainly have done.
I have advocated for better signage since the reopening following the Open Up renovations but to no avail.

in this day and age I guess one just has to go with the flow 😉 

Edited by PeterS

5 hours ago, PeterS said:

Patrons looking for the Ladies toilets regularly descend the stairs to the Gentlemans toilets. Whilst most retrace their steps when realising where they are, a few do continue onwards and use one of the few cubicles in this area.
I haven’t knowingly seen a woman use the urinals but patrons wearing dresses certainly have done.
I have advocated for better signage since the reopening following the Open Up renovations but to no avail.

in this day and age I guess one just has to go with the flow 😉 

Well I would certainly hope that any woman who has mistakenly entered the men's loos and decided to risk staying to use the facilities has the decency to close the cublcle door.

• Like 4

Someone else posted a link on the Don Quixote thread about standing ovations.  I read this in the I News yesterday.  I am not sure if the link below will work.  It did on my phone, but doesn't seem to on my computer.  However, the author went to see the new production of Sunset Boulevard in London a couple of days ago. The lead role is being played by Nicole Scherzinger.   Not only was there a standing ovation at the end, but members of the audience got up during the performance after each of her songs as well.  Now, I am sure Ms Scherzinger is a fine singer, or she wouldn't have got the part in the first place.  But I find it hard to believe that every single song she sings merits a standing ovation.

I find people are standing up at the end of just about everything I go to now.  I have to get up as well, because otherwise I can't see the performers taking their curtain calls.  These responses should be reserved for a performance so truly magnificent the audience can't stay seated. Not an automatic thing.  

https://inews.co.uk/culture/arts/west-end-standing-ovations-out-control-2689939

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Someone else posted a link on the Don Quixote thread about standing ovations.  I read this in the I News yesterday.  I am not sure if the link below will work.  It did on my phone, but doesn't seem to on my computer.  However, the author went to see the new production of Sunset Boulevard in London a couple of days ago. The lead role is being played by Nicole Scherzinger.   Not only was there a standing ovation at the end, but members of the audience got up during the performance after each of her songs as well.  Now, I am sure Ms Scherzinger is a fine singer, or she wouldn't have got the part in the first place.  But I find it hard to believe that every single song she sings merits a standing ovation.

I find people are standing up at the end of just about everything I go to now.  I have to get up as well, because otherwise I can't see the performers taking their curtain calls.  These responses should be reserved for a performance so truly magnificent the audience can't stay seated. Not an automatic thing.  

https://inews.co.uk/culture/arts/west-end-standing-ovations-out-control-2689939

I got into the link but then after reading two sentences the paywall popped up.  There is no little x in the top righthand corner to exit the box (probably hoping for a captive audience) so I had to just leave the whole page.

I do think it's a shame that the standing ovation has, along with so many other things, become meaningless now.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I am not sure if the link below will work.  It did on my phone, but doesn't seem to on my computer.

It works for me.  Thanks.

Yes I posted a link to a Guardian piece about standing ovations on the Don Q thread. 

I do wonder if some audience members now see shows as not only about the performers but also requiring audience participation and so it needs to be also all about them.

I know ballet has always featured applause for solos etc and a bow or curtsey from the performers but really, no-one needs to disrupt the 'flow of the show' by standing and cheering each one.  Some people need to catch trains and tubes and that includes performers and theatre staff, prolonging shows in this way is really not needed is it? Or is it?

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I do get the feeling that some people who jump to their feet almost before the final bars of music have finished are wanting to draw attention to themselves more for some reason 

Yes, we both posted the same thought at the same time!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sim said:

I got into the link but then after reading two sentences the paywall popped up.  There is no little x in the top righthand corner to exit the box (probably hoping for a captive audience) so I had to just leave the whole page.

Yes. When that happens if I'm quick I take  a screenshot.

(Apologies, three posts in a row  I agree is OTT!)

Edited by Ondine

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

Sadly a screenshot would only have given me the first three lines of the article...

Ah. Laptop gave me a page and a refresh gave me the next part.  Doesn't always work. Sometimes I manage to copy.

Here is an extract.

A worrying new strain was spotted last week at the Savoy Theatre on the opening night of the revival of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical Sunset Boulevard, starring former Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger. Not only did the audience leap to their feet at the end of the show, as is now wearingly common, but up they got at the end of each of Scherzinger’s songs. At one point I, resolutely sitting down, feared that the show would still be going on come breakfast the next day.

Just a handful of years ago, a standing ovation in British theatre marked an Olympian feat, a once-in-a-generation achievement. Audiences awarded them so infrequently that when they did happen, they truly meant something. I can still recall with pinpoint clarity the very first preview performance of Alan Bennett’s play The History Boys, which would subsequently go on to award-winning international acclaim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry about that.  I don't know how I managed to read the article, but the paragraphs above from  @Ondine give you everything you need to know.  I can only remember giving a standing ovation about 5 times in my life.  And at least 3 of those were at the final performances of my favourite dancers. 

I have heard audiences roar for an encore many times, which is quite different, and usually for well known show stoppers in musicals and choreographed accordingly.  The last encore I heard was for the "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat" song in Guys and Dolls, which the cast amusingly milked for all it was worth!

I am curious to know how many people on here have given a standing ovation, and what it was for?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

I find people are standing up at the end of just about everything I go to now.  I have to get up as well, because otherwise I can't see the performers taking their curtain calls.

Yes, and isn’t this the most annoying aspect of the current need to stand. I could barely see anything during the Naghdi/Ball curtain calls although, admittedly, from a SCS position, virtually anyone standing is going to totally obliterate my view. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I do get the feeling that some people who jump to their feet almost before the final bars of music have finished are wanting to draw attention to themselves more for some reason 

Perhaps they are desperate to be the first in the queue at the stage door?  

My husband has reminded me that people gave a standing ovation when we went to see La Cage Aux Folles at the Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park.  It was ok, a competent performance, but it certainly didn't merit a standing ovation in my opinion.  

The problem with giving such a reaction to every performance is that what do you do if it is a truly spectacular, out-of-this-world one?  Invade the stage?  

• Like 3

One of the most moving nights I’ve been at ROH was Fonteyns and Nureyev’s last performance there of Marguerite and Armand. 
Not only was it a standing ovation but people thumped their feet on the floor making a real din. The audience just wouldn’t let them go…me included ..though I was already standing!! 
I couldn’t watch that ballet for years and years afterwards. 

In recent years have only given a completely spontaneous standing ovation to Natalia Osipova and Vasiliev in Don Q at the Coli. 

Just received a survey from a research partner of London Coliseum about attendance which includes

’Would you be more likely or less likely to attend if the following was offered DURING the performance’

-Freedom to talk or make noise during the performance

-At seat ordering of drinks/confectionery

- Different seating options eg standing, reclining, cabaret tables, dancing - the list goes on

- The ability to take photographs during a performance

- The ability to take confectionery/drinks into a performance

-The ability to use my phone/social media during a performance 

- Freedom to leave and reenter the performance

Let’s just say I am very much aligned with the views on this specific thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Just received a survey from a research partner of London Coliseum about attendance which includes

’Would you be more likely or less likely to attend if the following was offered DURING the performance’

- Different seating options eg standing, reclining, cabaret tables, dancing - the list goes on

How extremely depressing.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Blossom said:

If any of these are true for audience members, what they should be asking themselves is, what is the point of being here? What is the point of paying for a ticket to a live performance if you're just going to go on your phone? Honestly, they need to be saving their money and staying at home or going to a restaurant/club with friends, instead of ruining other people's experiences. Theatres really need to stop pandering to such stupidity!

Just had to get that rant out!

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Noooooooo!!!!!!

• Like 6