Royal Ballet: Scènes de ballet / A Month in the Country / Rhapsody (Spring 2022)

I've just seen Scenes de Ballet for the first time. Or, more accurately, about a quarter of it as there was far too much going on to see all of it. I felt I needed 3 pairs of eyes and pause & rewind buttons! I was glad I caught up on last week's Insight yesterday or I would have been even more overwhelmed. I've not seen any non-narrative Ashton before, apart from the extracts in the Fonteyn Gala. Are all his abstract works this complicated?

• Like 4

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I've just seen Scenes de Ballet for the first time. Or, more accurately, about a quarter of it as there was far too much going on to see all of it. I felt I needed 3 pairs of eyes and pause & rewind buttons! I was glad I caught up on last week's Insight yesterday or I would have been even more overwhelmed. I've not seen any non-narrative Ashton before, apart from the extracts in the Fonteyn Gala. Are all his abstract works this complicated?

As a complete non-dancer it was certainly the most complex (and frankly hard work for the dancers) pieces I have seen. I mentioned that to one of the dancers who performed on Saturday afternoon and he agreed. 

If I'm honest I preferred Symphonic Variations but then I think most people would agree that is Ashton's masterpiece and I am hoping it will be back on stage sooner rather than later.

Edited by MJW
  • Like 4

Fumi Kaneko positively oozed sophistication, chic and elegance in Scènes de Ballet tonight, and also a kind of nonchalant, breezy pleasure in what she was doing. Wonderful. Reece Clarke was cooler but equally elegant; a lovely couple. I think that dancing this work must be a monumental challenge for all on stage - it requires such precision and accuracy and is so difficult and absolutely exposed. Like the inner workings of a clock, that must all link together correctly for the hands to move on. Ashton seems to be revealing the hidden structure of time, of the universe, of creation in this work. I agree with Dawnstar that it's impossible to take it all in in one go; but what better excuse for repeated viewings... 

Was this Bracewell's début as Beliaev? I thought he was absolutely brilliant - completely engaged and believable, and such beautiful dancing. There were times when he was dancing solo when I felt as if he was in his own world, as if we the audience didn't exist, so absorbed was he in his thoughts and emotions. And such flow and musicality. He made me see things in the choreography that I'd never seen before - e.g. when he's turning in the centre of the stage, it becomes clear that this represents the turmoil he's wreaking in the household around him. Osipova was terrific too - wholly credible and very moving. Liam Boswell was a very impressive Kolia and Leticia Dias a lovely and vivacious Katia.

Rhapsody brought the evening to a rousing close. Corrales was super-showy, verging on brash at times, and (still) some very heavy landings; but he did bring both energy and fireworks, and had a good rapport with Hayward who flitted and floated with great charm. 

• Like 26

Wonderful evening of Ballet! 

Francesca Hayward was just amazing in Rhapsody a real joy to watch and the main pas de deux with Cesar was really moving I thought. 
Anyway just a quickie while on Rhapsody does anybody know who the dancer with the blondest hair was? I think it was Isabel Lubach but not sure but thought she had a lovely stage presence. 
Leticia Dias just delightful as usual …a very busy evening for her!! 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Wonderful evening of Ballet! 

Anyway just a quickie while on Rhapsody does anybody know who the dancer with the blondest hair was? I think it was Isabel Lubach but not sure but thought she had a lovely stage presence. 
Leticia Dias just delightful as usual …a very busy evening for her!! 

It was a lovely evening indeed!

Yes, I think you got Isabel correct

And big yes for Leticia Dias - she does light the stage up, doesn't she! 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great words from @Bridiem, to open tonight’s reviews.

Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke got things off to a great start with Scenes de Ballet. I adore watching them and Fumi is a particular delight. Also the 4 male roles were well cast and well danced - always enjoy seeing Sissens in particular!  

Month in the Country- sad to discover it should have been Isabella Gasparini’s début tonight, but it was pretty wonderful anyway. Gorgeous music, Bracewell has such musicality (but hate that costume!!), he and Osipova together were mesmerising.

Liam Boswell was really the highlight of the evening for me and one to watch. I’ll be looking out for him in future!

Rhapsody really ended a perfect chocolate box of an evening on a high. The role was made for Corrales with all of that virtuosity and a few cheeky moments played to the audience. He absolutely dazzled. Always love watching Hayward, she is such a beautiful classical dancer and makes Ashton really sparkle. This cast - wider cast included including the fab 4 men - would be perfect for a DVD/BluRay release although nothing is quite as electric as live on stage. 

Really feel the need for more regular Ashton short programmes to spark a bit of pure joy - hope it’s not long (at least 18 months though) before we return to more varied ballet seasons.  

• Like 18

18 hours ago, LinMM said:

Have just been looking at the Chopin pieces used in Month and the song will be in the bit that uses:  Fantasia on Polish Airs so am more sure it’s there now. 
Sorry to go on about the music but the blend of dancing and music in this Ballet is just so delicious! 

I've got a lovely CD with the Don Giovanni variations, Andante spianato, and rondo Krakowiak etc and I think I've nearly worn it out I've played it so often! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Thankfully, no :)  I think this one's a bit of an exception.  That's not to say that his other works are uncomplicated, though :)  I do think it's probably appreciated better from on high, really.

You'll have to buy the streaming as well now, won't you, so you can take more of it in.  Bet they aren't using an "on-high" camera, though, more's the pity.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MJW said:

As a complete non-dancer it was certainly the most complex (and frankly hard work for the dancers) pieces I have seen. I mentioned that to one of the dancers who performed on Saturday afternoon and he agreed. 

If I'm honest I preferred Symphonic Variations but then I think most people would agree that is Ashton's masterpiece and I am hoping it will be back on stage sooner rather than later.

Yes! I agree that it would be lovely to have SV back again. I have a fantasy Ashton programme including that and Birthday Offering, another enjoyable plotless ballet with great ballerina roles. Re Scenes de Ballet, the complexity is because the choreography relates so closely to the music, is it not? I love Stravinsky a lot and it’s a great score for dancing to my inexpert ears. I have the dvd of the 2004 performance with Yoshida and Putrov, but never saw the ballet live until Saturday. I like that dvd a lot. 
i enjoyed last night’s performance too, with the exception of Rhapsody, which I thought was better on Saturday, with Sambe. But that’s just a personal opinion, and being very picky. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AnneL said:

Yes! I agree that it would be lovely to have SV back again.

indeed - what we need is the 'Symphony' triple - Symphonic Variations, Symphonic Dances (we nearly had that last year before covid wiped it), and of course, Symphony in C.

Corny theme maybe, but what a bill!

• Like 12

BRB has done short runs of Scènes de Ballet over the years and I fell in love with it the first time I saw it and fell in love with it all over again every time I saw it.

Someone told me that it was Ashton's homage to Sleeping Beauty.

I'm sad that I can't get to see this wonderful triple.

• Like 7

I'd just like to add my praise to everyone else who has delighted in last night's performance. It was a joy.  A Month in the Country was exquisite, just sublime and the other 2 ballets uplifting in the technical ability displayed by all the dancers.  The music , the dancing - what a contrast to the previous triple bill, which I can only say that I sat through and endured. I am going twice more and can't wait! 

• Like 23

What a super evening- last minute decision to attend but so glad I did. Music, dancers, costumes, productions all excellent. Thanks to Forum posts I went for a high up view to better see the patterns.

First time for me to see Scenes and wow- and yes to Sleeping Beauty homage. 

Month - a perfect gem. So much happening but such clarity to this piece.

Rhapsody - yes it was! Terrific piece to close on. 

Everyone around me in the Amphi was so thrilled with this triple bill. More please. Deserves a longer run.

• Like 21

15 hours ago, Blossom said:

Liam Boswell was really the highlight of the evening for me and one to watch. I’ll be looking out for him in future!

I've been looking out for him since he did the Fox in The Cunning Little Vixen in 2019 when he was still a student. Great to see him getting quite a virtuosic solo role.

4 hours ago, alison said:

Thankfully, no :)  I think this one's a bit of an exception.  That's not to say that his other works are uncomplicated, though :)  I do think it's probably appreciated better from on high, really.

You'll have to buy the streaming as well now, won't you, so you can take more of it in.  Bet they aren't using an "on-high" camera, though, more's the pity.

I had intended to do so anyway, that's why I've booked to see live the 2 casts that aren't being filmed.

I've realised I was wrong in saying yesterday that I'd not seen any non-narrative Ashton works before as I saw Les Patineurs in 2018.

• Like 2

It's nice that this time the critics have spread themselves out a bit so all 3 casts have had at least one review, rather than only the first night cast getting reviewed as often happens.

I am rather confused by some of the critics' disagreements though. I know a lot of things are subjective but among the reviews for Saturday afternoon's performance were both praise & criticism of Hayward's footwork. Surely footwork is something that's either right or isn't right? That is to those expert enough to tell, which dance critics should be. (I can't but I'm certainly not an expert.)

• Like 8

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

i have reached my free article limit, without any plagiarism or copyright is there a brief or overarching summary someone could provide in a sentence or two? 

Do we know yet if this will be live streamed all, there is a cast being filmed but nothing on the website to indicate a live or future web stream (I had a similar question re like water for chocolate). 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 1

I thought I'd read somewhere at the beginning of this season that because of possible covid disruption all programmes would be filmed either for cinema broadcast or streaming. Last Saturday's matinee performance was definitely filmed because I was seated quite close to the cameras and I think another performance by the same cast is being filmed for back up. Similarly,  Like Water for Chocolate has camera slots so I assume that will be filmed for streaming. My guess is, streaming dates will be announced when the films have been checked and edited. One of the things I said to Kevin in my email was how pleased I was with the ROH use of technology in response to covid, and how much I hoped the idea of filming all programmes would be continued into next season. 

• Like 8

I can’t read this article without subscribing. I know it’s initially a free trial but don’t read enough of any newspaper to want to pay eventually to be honest. I’m assuming if you accept the free trial they will want you to pay for at least a while? 

Ian and I between us do the links 365 days a year.  It takes time and effort to produce them every day.  We have to publish at some stage and if articles appear after we have published then they go in the following day.

We like to encourage people to read the daily links forum so forgive me if I find it unhelpful and dispiriting if people publish links in threads with comments about them not having been in links.

If anyone thinks we have missed a link they can always DM us with the link to be included.

If anyone has the time and is prepared to put in the effort then we would love to hear from you.

We go to endless trouble to find readable links and one tip, if you have more than one email address then register with that too.  With some articles it works if you Google the name of the newspaper and the title of the article.

• Like 15

Guest oncnp
7 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Ian and I between us do the links 365 days a year.  It takes time and effort to produce them every day.  We have to publish at some stage and if articles appear after we have published then they go in the following day.

We like to encourage people to read the daily links forum so forgive me if I find it unhelpful and dispiriting if people publish links in threads with comments about them not having been in links.

If anyone thinks we have missed a link they can always DM us with the link to be included.

If anyone has the time and is prepared to put in the effort then we would love to hear from you.

We go to endless trouble to find readable links and one tip, if you have more than one email address then register with that too.  With some articles it works if you Google the name of the newspaper and the title of the article.

Apologies - the comment was only meant to indicate that I looked at the links before I posted the Telegraph article as people have been chided in the past for not looking.  I won't post anything else.

Edited by oncnp

Just like to add was not complaining that I can’t read the above Telegraph link!! 
I know this will happen with certain articles for me because of paywalls but am happy for others etc. and understand how hard the Mods work to get as much info out there as possible for all. 

My post was more a statement of fact because I was intrigued by what capybara and Dawnstar said and wondered what the “dislikes” would be! And criticisms of Haywards footwork especially after spending some time yesterday with a friend extolling the virtues of her very fast and flowing runs on pointe across the stage on Tuesday! 
This friend very often helpfully cuts out articles from newspapers connected to ballet including reviews so do get to see some “behind paywall”  articles eventually!! 

• Like 1

Very much looking forward to the remaining Ashton performances and in some ways a ‘thank you’ for the extended engineering works on the railway over the weekend. It means I’m having to stay four nights in London so have booked for all the performances (plus Sunday’s Lohengrin).

I very much enjoyed the General Rehearsal and the opening matinee and it’s been great reading all the posts.
I’m looking forward to seeing again Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke in Scenes. I thought Vadim Muntagirov’s jumps were stronger in the Insight so I’ll be very interested in seeing him a second time. And it will be great to see Yasmine Naghdi for the first time as she helped make that Insight very special (which I must say I found very helpful for seeing Scenes de ballet live for the first time)

Month in the Country is wonderful and I’ll be very keen to see the casts I’ve already seen. But my expectations are sky high for Laura Morera and I won’t be at all surprised if she’ll give the definitive performance despite it being only her second and third. I’m afraid it really begs the question why she has had to wait so long to dance Natalia Petrovo, a role so ideally suited to her.

Rhapsody provides a fabulous finale and I’ll be delighted to see Francesca Hayward’s and Anna-Rose O’Sullivan’s effervescences and fireworks from all the male principals.

• Like 9