Royal Ballet: Scènes de ballet / A Month in the Country / Rhapsody (Spring 2022)

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am there tonight, tomorrow night and Monday night.  I just can't get enough of this triple bill!  Very much looking forward to seeing Nunez/Ball in Month this evening so I can compare this pairing with the other casts.  :)

• Like 10

Sorry to miss Morera and Muntagirov I think it will be an amazing performance from them both in Month. 
Osipova and Bracewell were very good on Tuesday. Bracewell put everything into it and uses his whole body so well so this style really suits him. I’ve seen Osipova before and felt she was more subdued in this performance than last time but this didn’t detract from her overall interpretation just a little less fiery but always believable. 
Some of her duets with Bracewell were very moving. 
Ive already mentioned Liam Boswell as a great new Kolia but thought Meghan Grace Hinkis was also very good as Vera. I can’t remember if she has performed this role before but if not must have learned very quickly so a lovely surprise from her for me and hope she gets another chance at it. 
Leticia as ever excellent in all she does was relaxed and playful as the maid another really natural dancer. 
( The song “Laura and Filon” comes in just after the lively foursome dance of Natalia, Beliaev  Vera and Kolia and Natalia is then alone with Rakitin and confesses her feelings for Beliaev before hubby comes on the scene)

After Scenes with a radiant Kaneko …she really uses her eyes so well when dancing….and a very elegant Clarke and then after a sublime Month could have gone home very happy but there was some delicious icing on this programme cake with Rhapsody following.
Cesar was on great form ….how anybody does those diagonal changes of direction jumps literally from the spot I don’t know ….it requires enormous strength to get them looking so good. There were a few other jumps he did which may have been post Ashton?  ….though I’m never sure as there are quite a few jumps from “times past”  no longer performed that much ( as well as the extraordinary new modern ones) but my favourite bit on Tuesday was the pas de deux with Hayward which I found extremely moving as the dancing was so lovingly and musically performed by both.   As said before Hayward has a natural and beautiful quality ….another dancer who uses her eyes …and upper body and head.. so well just perfect for Ashton. I thought she really shone in this piece but some lovely performances from Cesar and the corps as well. 
I loved all the costumes but do think Ashton settings are slightly strange on the whole but at least the dancers were visible!!  
So a very very satisfying evening of ballet and alas the only performance of this triple I can make though would love to have seen other casts even though this one was pretty much perfection itself!! 
It’s taken a while to comment as when a performance has been so enjoyable I  don’t want to break the magical spell it has cast for a while at least. 
Very envious of those still to see this programme!! 

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Ive already mentioned Liam Boswell as a great new Kolia but thought Meghan Grace Hinkis was also very good as Vera. I can’t remember if she has performed this role before but if not must have learned very quickly so a lovely surprise from her for me and hope she gets another chance at it. 

Meaghan was Vera in the last run too

• Like 2

Somebody mentioned not liking Beliaev’s costume much in Month and it can look a bit over baggy and did not exactly suit Bracewell that wonderfully! 
It kept reminding me of another costume and then today ROH put up a video for International Dance Day (I  always thought that was in September) the Maypole Dance from Fille and there was Beliaev’s costume …well very nearly! I imagine a tutor in a middle class Russian household might be marginally more smartly dressed than the peasants in Fille lol

but the trousers just being less baggy would help a lot. 
Anyway Happy International Dance day! Going to see this programme must be just about the best way of celebrating it!! 

• Like 3

According to Ash Michelle Dean’s Instagram, tonight’s performance is being filmed and will be available to watch at a later date.

Doesn’t say whether streaming, cinema or straight to DVD though but it’s good to know that they will be releasing it at some point! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

But my expectations are sky high for Laura Morera and I won’t be at all surprised if she’ll give the definitive performance despite it being only her second and third. I’m afraid it really begs the question why she has had to wait so long to dance Natalia Petrovo, a role so ideally suited to her.

Same. So suited she is to the role that I was sure I had seen her in it before - a false memory only challenged when I was flicking through this month's Dancing Times and saw her interview!

(As an aside, whilst often lauded as a dance actress in the darker roles, I love Morera's interpretations of the lighter ballets as well - especially her Lise!)

• Like 9

Fantastic evening at the ballet yesterday with standout performances from Marcelino Sambe in Rhapsody, a role that very much plays to his strengths as a charismatic performer and technical powerhouse, Matthew Ball, Marianela Nunez and Anna Rose O’Sullivan in Month with Matthew Ball demonstrating some superbly controlled pirouettes as well as great characterisation and Marianela Nunez putting her heart and sole into the role. 
What to say about Scene de ballet? Truly, it’s a marvel or construction and technical precision with beautiful dancing from all involved (Calvin Richardson looking particularly strong as part of the male quartet). Sarah Lamb brought her icy, intelligent glamour to what, to me, is one of her best roles while it was simply a privilege to watch Vadim Muntagirov dance; such technical precision, beauty of line, musicality and nobility it made each moment sing. 
Looking forward now to this evening’s performance! 

Edited by Ianlond
  • Like 19

Thank you lanlond, you have pretty much summarised my enjoyment of last night.

I would add that all the corps ladies and gentlemen in Scènes and Rhapsody were brilliant. 

And particular praise for Letitia Dias, who had a very busy evening, with roles in all three pieces including a charming Maid in Month. 

A wonderful evening of classy ballet!

More Ashton PLEASE!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ianlond said:

Fantastic evening at the ballet yesterday with standout performances from Marcelino Sambe in Rhapsody, in a role that very much plays to his strengths as a charismatic performer and technical powerhouse, Matthew Ball, Marianela Nunez and Anna Rose O’Sullivan in Month with Matthew Ball demonstrating some superbly controlled pirouettes as well as great characterisation and Marianela Nunez putting her heart and sole into the role. 
What to say about Scene de ballet? Truly, it’s a marvel or construction and technical precision with beautiful dancing from all involved (Calvin Richardson looking particularly strong as part of the male quartet). Sarah Lamb brought her icy, intelligent glamour to what, to me, is one of her best roles while it was simply a privilege to watch Vadim Muntagirov dance; such technical precision, beauty of line, musicality and nobility it made each moment sing. 
Looking forward now to this evening’s performance! 

Absolutely agree Ianlond.  It was a real treat for me, a relative newcomer to ballet, to see three such wonderful ballets.  I had never seen any of them before and I loved them all, different as they are.

I think my favourite was Month in the Country, and I now realise why Vadim Muntagirov used Mozart's 'la ci darem' as background music for his skit on Month on his IG last year. I heard someone behind me describe last nights performance as 'just the most perfect ballet',  and I certainly wouldn't disagree with that.  The ending reminded me of Giselle.  I thought that Ball and particularly Nunez were  both superb and I must mention Anna-Rose O'Sullivan who was excellent in her role.  I look forward to tonight's performance both to see Morera and Muntagirov and to hear that gorgeous music again.  

As for the other ballets, I enjoyed Scenes more that I thought I would - I loved the geometrical precision of it and as Ian says, the wonderful dancing by all involved.  I think I need see it again to fully appreciate it - luckily I'm going to tonight's performance.  I also very much enjoyed Rhapsody especially since it was accompanied by one of my favourite pieces of music. Marci Sambe got just about the biggest cheer of the evening and certainly gave a firecracker of a performance.  

Edited by Nina99
  • Like 16

Agreed on the wonderful performance all round last night.
I’m coming to love Scenes more and more each time I see it and thought that this cast gelled so well together in Month.  

Sambe was as dynamic as expected in Rhapsody. By comparison with other casts, I’ve still to see Steven McRae this time round but I must say that Corrales impressed me at the General - he really seems to be setting in at the RB following injury and lockdown. 
Much to look forward to on Monday evening. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Thank you lanlond, you have pretty much summarised my enjoyment of last night.

I would add that all the corps ladies and gentlemen in Scènes and Rhapsody were brilliant. 

And particular praise for Letitia Dias, who had a very busy evening, with roles in all three pieces including a charming Maid in Month. 

A wonderful evening of classy ballet!

More Ashton PLEASE!

I do agree with you about Leticia Dias, Richard LH - beautiful dancing and real (subtle, not overblown) dramatic clout. Luca Acri also had a busy evening and drew an enormous cheer from my part of the house at the back of the amphi. He is also developing a noticeable and growing charisma on stage. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Scheherezade said:

Luca Acri also had a busy evening and drew an enormous cheer from my part of the house at the back of the amphi. He is also developing a noticeable and growing charisma on stage. 

Absolutely...he is always one to watch for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Absolutely...he is always one to watch for me. 

Really feel like he's had a great season this year, some standout performances and always so steady and sure in any role. Last night he was amazing in two very different roles, but was excellent in both.

• Like 5

What a beautiful evening last night. I was lucky enough to get front row stalls, so had an amazing view for those twisting jumps Marci did! WOW!

Marci was my star of the night, it felt like the role was made for him with his big jumps and star personality, he really was amazing!

All three ballets were lovely in their own way and it's a shame there's not more of this run or more of the like scheduled because they were dreamy!

Month in the Country was so elegant and everyone perfectly pitched in their roles. Anna Rose and her fast little feet and the elegant Marianela who seemed to draw emotion from every tiny movement or gesture, her and Matthew Ball worked so well together it's a shame we don't see them more often.

Scene was just a perfect start to the night, so intricate, you could watch it tens of times and find something new. All dancers right on it throughout, Vadim, marvellous as always, and the corps nailed every role.

A few dancers showed up quite a few times throughout the night, Luca Acri for me was a stand out as he's now got to the point where he's so sure and sturdy in everything he does. I don't think I've gone to the ROH this season and NOT seen Luca!

• Like 14

2 hours ago, emmarose said:

What a beautiful evening last night. I was lucky enough to get front row stalls, so had an amazing view for those twisting jumps Marci did! WOW!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your seat in the front row EmmaRose.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I'm so glad you enjoyed your seat in the front row EmmaRose.

I really did! Luckily I'm tall, so didn't miss much of the feet! But wow, when Marci did those jumps, to see them that close! WOW!

• Like 4

I attended the Saturday Matinee and Tuesday’s Show. Both performances were outstanding. The Corps de Ballet were incredible so full of power and versatility. I refuse to single out the Soloists but at both performances A Month In The Country was as near a perfect performance as anyone could possibly wish to see. 

• Like 11

Tonight was my first time seeing McRae live, as he's been off injured for most of the time since I started seeing the RB live. I would like to congratulate his surgeons! They must have done an incredible reconstruction job for him to be able to do Rhapsody's choreography with apparent ease.

• Like 6

Just got home after tonight’s performance. Very glad I managed to see it after last week’s disappointment at having to miss the matinee (and thank you Sim for your kind message last week when I posted). I’m so grateful that I got to see it and particularly that I got to see Laura Morera - such a beautiful and poignant Natalia Petrovna. But overall a gorgeous evening. I’ll try to post more tomorrow.

• Like 8

Dawnstar I so appreciate your previous comment that you’ve just seen such a wonderful performance that you didn’t want to see anything else! 
A sign that satisfaction has been right down to the soul level!  
But then you saw McRae and were further inspired!  
I think that main male role in Rhapsody is incredibly hard to make it look good. 

• Like 4