Royal Ballet: Scènes de ballet / A Month in the Country / Rhapsody (Spring 2022)

21 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Yes - I was there, and I can see that both Scenes and Rhapsody require very high-quality ensemble dancers. My point really was in response to people saying what a marvellous mixed bill this is and that it should be brought back - I wasn’t sure how versatile (in terms of how it fits into a season) such a mixed bill can be, given that it doesn’t use half the company.

I wouldn't have thought that every bill is required to use a large proportion of the company. In fact it could be beneficial when there are a lot of full-lengths (and, one would hope, other triple bills) going on that do involve many of the more junior company members to have a bill that makes fewer demands on them.

• Like 8

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I wouldn't have thought that every bill is required to use a large proportion of the company. In fact it could be beneficial when there are a lot of full-lengths (and, one would hope, other triple bills) going on that do involve many of the more junior company members to have a bill that makes fewer demands on them.

agree - this could make for much more diverse programming. It might be too much do a full Classical production at the same time (something that requires a lot of corps like Giselle or Swan Lake for example). But surely it could work well alongside a MacMillan “big three” where the corps aren’t technically stretched the same way, or even alongside a contemporary bill which has a similarly small selection of dancers so the company could be almost split 50/50? 

there may be other practical considerations I’m not aware of but many years ago they did seem to manage shorter more diverse programming that overlapped a bit? (Before my time though so maybe I’m imagining an idealised scenario!) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

ah right - I'm lucky enough not to have those additional costs, so apologies for the thoughtless comment

No need to apologise Dave. I just think I'm so lucky if one of the trickiest decisions I've got to make is which ballet performance to attend. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, JNC said:

agree - this could make for much more diverse programming. It might be too much do a full Classical production at the same time (something that requires a lot of corps like Giselle or Swan Lake for example). But surely it could work well alongside a MacMillan “big three” where the corps aren’t technically stretched the same way, or even alongside a contemporary bill which has a similarly small selection of dancers so the company could be almost split 50/50? 

there may be other practical considerations I’m not aware of but many years ago they did seem to manage shorter more diverse programming that overlapped a bit? (Before my time though so maybe I’m imagining an idealised scenario!) 

My perception is that they did precisely that in the past.   I agree that with some of the 3 act ballets, much of the company are not required to do a lot more than stand around in costume adding atmosphere to the proceedings.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emmarose said:

Can you give them away for free?

Yes you can return them to the box office for free but I was wondering if I could sell it on the Forum,  possibly at a reduced price as I don't want to capitalise on it, but would that not he allowed? I could see why it would be tricky for the box office to resell but thought it would be OK on the Forum. However if i can't I'll just have to decide what to do with it. 

Have got round to watching the insight - I saw it mentioned on the forum but I don’t recall seeing it advertised in any emails I received from ROH (perhaps I missed something though?). I know attendance is limited so ticket sales wouldn’t have been a problem but given the livestream is free it is an excellent way to entice newbies and and was incredibly informative. I wonder if the livestream was promoted better that would have increased ticket sales?

I think the short run is actually fine as it does appear to be an exhausting bill but I wonder whether the bank holiday weekend is affecting sales as people will be away, or if sunny a dark opera house in the middle of the day isn’t the most enticing prospect even for ballet fans? 

I agree @LinMMthat a variation of this run at another time would have been a perfect opportunity for those who missed a shorter run to see it, and for the rest of us fans to see bits of it again! Agree Month could have been mixed with Symphonic Variations or perhaps Birthday Offering, or perhaps Month could be replaced with Daphnis and Chloe or The Dream and Scenes/Rhapsody remain. Many options of course (appreciate options would be narrowed with sets and casting demands). 

Anyway the Insight was brilliant watching, Christopher Carr is a wonderful coach and I’m very much looking forward to seeing this next week. Keep the reviews coming! I also hope it gets good pickup and reviews in the press to entice more ticket sales. 

• Like 5

jmhopton I don’t see why you cannot try to resell your ticket here on the Forum. I’m pretty sure when people turn up at ROH they are not going to ask for ID and better it’s put to use!! Especially as it’s for such a good cause. I wouldn’t undersell it for that reason (unless a particularly expensive one perhaps). 

• Like 2

Having been forced through circumstances to miss everything at Covent Garden since performances began again, we are sadder not to be able to see this programme than any other so far, especially given the reviews! So we are very much hoping there will be a stream either online or in cinemas. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, oncnp said:

This one too (which reviews both of yesterday's performances):

https://slippedisc.com/2022/04/alastair-macaulay-triple-ashton-returns-to-covent-garden/

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Having been forced through circumstances to miss everything at Covent Garden since performances began again, we are sadder not to be able to see this programme than any other so far, especially given the reviews! So we are very much hoping there will be a stream either online or in cinemas. Fingers crossed!

Yes there will.  Something for you to look forward to!

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Yes you can return them to the box office for free but I was wondering if I could sell it on the Forum,  possibly at a reduced price as I don't want to capitalise on it, but would that not he allowed? I could see why it would be tricky for the box office to resell but thought it would be OK on the Forum. However if i can't I'll just have to decide what to do with it. 

Absolutely fine for you to sell it on the forum.  :)

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Y I could see why it would be tricky for the box office to resell 

I am also thinking about turning my ticket back and the box office told me they will certainly offer for resale - just no credit voucher/refund issued. 

3 hours ago, RuthE said:

Yes - I was there, and I can see that both Scenes and Rhapsody require very high-quality ensemble dancers. My point really was in response to people saying what a marvellous mixed bill this is and that it should be brought back - I wasn’t sure how versatile (in terms of how it fits into a season) such a mixed bill can be, given that it doesn’t use half the company.

I don't think a bill has to use half the company in order for it to be versatile or wonderful.  Scenes and Rhapsody are so complicated and difficult that it would be hard to train the entire company in them.  I was very close friends with the late Angela Cox (later DeMello) who created one of the roles in Rhapsody.  I remember her telling me how hard it was to learn and to get everyone to click at the same time and at the same speed (with Sir Fred constantly shouting 'bend' and 'timing'!).  It was a close group of dancers who had to learn together for hours and hours.  It is not the kind of ballet where everyone can just learn it and step in, as with, say, Giselle or Swan Lake.  Of course you train two or three who aren't scheduled for the performances, in case of injury/illness, but these ballets just aren't ensemble pieces in the usual sense of the word.  Further, I wouldn't expect to see very young company members in these ballets; to dance Ashton in small groups in particular requires quite a bit of experience and stage time, both of which have been lacking due to Covid. I am sure many of the younger dancers will get their chance in the future.  As it is, many of the 'corps' ladies and gentlemen in these ballets are Artists and First Artists.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Perhaps we should get some of the modern choreographers to watch this (and Symphonic Variations) a good few times to clue them in as to the standard required...

Valentino Zucchetti was in the audience at the general 😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ianlond said:

I feel bad saying so after he’s come back from such a serious injury but Stephen McRae seemed to be having a bit of an off night (particularly regarding pirouettes) and was clearly pacing himself. However, Rhapsody certainly did the job of ending the night on a high. 

Interestingly Steven McRae has written on his Instagram about the performance saying his head and body went separate ways at points and he didn’t feel inside his body to be able to fully take control. He has expressed his disappointment but also the joy of sharing the stage with Anna-Rose for her debut. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Fonty said:

I am so sad I am missing all this.  Why oh why was it scheduled for the exact weeks I am away on holiday?  Can we petition Mr O'Hare to bring it back again soon?  

When did you book your holiday, Fonty?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, alison said:

When did you book your holiday, Fonty?

Oh, well after I knew the programme dates.  However, I am actually going away with family, and it was a question of when they could get time off.  Sadly, this was the only time everyone else could manage. 🙁

• Like 1

jmhopton have you already supported one of the many Ukrainian fundraising initiatives? ( Not necessarily ballet ones) If so then I wouldn’t feel too guilty about wanting to see the triple instead!! Don’t know whether that helps. 
However you might still be intrigued by this rather unusual Swan Lake and it’s a special occasion etc. so not an easy decision of course. I do have a feeling though that Swan Lake may come around again sooner than the ballets in this triple so perhaps a decider? 

2 hours ago, Supernoodle said:

Interestingly Steven McRae has written on his Instagram about the performance saying his head and body went separate ways at points and he didn’t feel inside his body to be able to fully take control. He has expressed his disappointment but also the joy of sharing the stage with Anna-Rose for her debut. 

Steven, you ask a heck of a lot of yourself!!

I really enjoyed it and so did the audience, judging from the reaction......Despite a sense of hesitancy at first, (heaven knows understandable enough)  I thought the performance picked up markedly about a third of the way through and there was a real feeling of excitement and the joy of the music as well as the old McRae 'fleetness of foot' and very sharp and precise moments. I didn't see any mistakes. The pairing with Anna-Rose looked very nice and is one I would like to see again.

I  keep watching it all again in my mind's eye and it's a very very joyful experience.

Edited by Mary
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

jmhopton have you already supported one of the many Ukrainian fundraising initiatives? ( Not necessarily ballet ones) If so then I wouldn’t feel too guilty about wanting to see the triple instead!! Don’t know whether that helps. 
However you might still be intrigued by this rather unusual Swan Lake and it’s a special occasion etc. so not an easy decision of course. I do have a feeling though that Swan Lake may come around again sooner than the ballets in this triple so perhaps a decider? 

Yes I've already supported Kiev Ballet in the appeal that was here on the Forum and also sent a couple of separate donations to the DEC. I too have already thought that I'll be seeing Swan Lake a lot sooner than I'll be seeing this triple, or even an individual part of it. It was a lovely idea to do a mix and match Ashton triple, showing part of the current Ashton with different Ashton or something similar in another part of the season, possibly later on. Not to be, alas. Anyway I've put the swan lake ticket on the Tickets for sale if anyone is interested. Bluebird has kindly helped with a seat view photo as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jane S said:

Also at the Insight  Vanessa Palmer, who danced in it herself (and was a nice Ashton dancer), said that it's almost soloist work rather than the usual corps de ballet thing.

Wasn't that about the 4 men, though, rather than the 12 women, or did I misunderstand?

7 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Looking through today's links: there's a very strange review in the Independent - Rhapsody nowhere to be seen. Did the critic have to dash off after Month or did it fall victim to the sub-editor?

It's in the 2nd to last paragraph of the review - the page on the website is kind of split into two with adverts which is annoying! Very positive about Marcelino & Francesca 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EVWS said:

It's in the 2nd to last paragraph of the review - the page on the website is kind of split into two with adverts which is annoying! Very positive about Marcelino & Francesca 

Just checked - it doesn't appear at all for me: the page refuses to load fully! Really, the Independent's website is close to unreadable these days.

Thank you for the summary, though: good to hear.

Good, too, that in addition to heaping praise on the current run, the critics uniformly seem to be acknowledging the range, musicality and glory of Ashton’s works and bemoaning the RB’s reluctance to perform them. Perhaps this will bear some fruit when scheduling future seasons. We can only hope!

• Like 23

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

Looking through today's links: there's a very strange review in the Independent - Rhapsody nowhere to be seen. Did the critic have to dash off after Month or did it fall victim to the sub-editor?

I think I'm reading the same one as you, it ends with 'Ball is alert and spontaneous.' and that's it, it goes to comments and doesn't say there's anything at all continued under a paywall.

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, capybara said:

You have to subscribe now, I think.

You can register and get access to a few articles.