Royal Ballet: Scènes de ballet / A Month in the Country / Rhapsody (Spring 2022)

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

Sadly, the run is so short, I shall miss it as I am away.  I look forward to reading the reviews on here.  

I do wonder if packing 7 performances into 10 days hasn't helped the ticket sales. As well as people being away - which must especially apply as there's the Bank Holiday next weekend - I imagine it may not help with repeat viewing either. Personally I am booked for 2 performances & don't feel I can fit in more than that (it doesn't help that English Touring Opera are at my local theatre this week & I'm seeing them this evening so that makes today's 2 triple bill performances impossible for me). If the run was spread out over, say, 3 weeks then I would have tried to go to at least 1 more performance.

• Like 6

Unfortunately I had to return my tickets for today’s matinee to the box office this morning as I woke up with a streaming cold. I’m very disappointed. I look forward to reading reports of the performance later.

3 minutes ago, CCL said:

Unfortunately I had to return my tickets for today’s matinee to the box office this morning as I woke up with a streaming cold. I’m very disappointed. I look forward to reading reports of the performance later.

Such a pity. 😢.  I hope you can get to another performance.  Get well soon CCL.  💪💪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, capybara said:

Largely by individual dancers. I’ve seen a couple of ROH posts on social media.

I see the ROH have tweeted about it today. Though they've used a photo of Month which features Cuthbertson, which is slightly odd given she's withdrawn! Maybe the cast change email didn't get round to the social media team...

Goodness me - Scènes looks one of the most technically demanding ballets I have seen (certainly a one act ballet). So nice to see Sarah Lamb - Vadim excellent as always.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Candleque said:

Dancers in fine form for sure 👏

BTW: Does anyone know why the Beliaev character has a costume change of trousers midway? A small thing, but puzzling 🤔 

I believe that Anthony Dowell once said that it was to indicate the passage of time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Candleque said:

Dancers in fine form for sure 👏

BTW: Does anyone know why the Beliaev character has a costume change of trousers midway? A small thing, but puzzling 🤔 

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I believe that Anthony Dowell once said that it was to indicate the passage of time.

Yes I tend to change my trousers occasionally for the same reason...

• Like 8

I would urge anyone who hasn’t had a chance to book for the Ashton mixed bill please do - an astonishing example of the genius of Frederick Ashton and the brilliance of the dancers of the Royal Ballet.

Roll on next Saturday for the next instalment.

Edited by MJW
Wording
  • Like 15

Who is this Ashton? Give the man a knighthood! (Oh, sorry...).

What a brilliant bill, literally and figuratively. Colour and light and splendour.

I've normally seen Rhapsody as an opener, but it works superbly as a finale. And I found it fascinating seeing Scènes de Ballet and Rhapsody on the same bill. They share similar qualities but are like two opposite sides of the same coin. Scènes: austere, geometric, sharp, mysterious, guarded, intellectual. Rhapsody: romantic, flowing, lyrical, open, celebratory. Both: beautiful, imaginative, and sculpted in sometimes similar ways by a master choreographer. I find the fact that Scènes is the work of a man in the prime of his life, and Rhapsody the work created near the end of his life, so moving. The earlier work asks questions, is more reserved, more contained - the expression of a mind and a soul on a journey; the later work rejoices, shares and plays - the expression of a heart that has reached its destination. 

In between: the sublime storytelling of Month in the Country.

All three works set to beautiful music, with beautiful sets and costumes. Ashton does beauty like no-one else.

And superb dancing from Lamb, Muntagirov, Nunez, Ball, Hayward, Sambé and all the other remarkable artists in this remarkable company.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Just here to say watching Marcelino today in Rhapsody 😮😮😮😮🔥🔥🔥🔥 had to scoop my jaw up off the floor. Idk what that step is called when he’s doing a handless cartwheel turning in the air in the splits but I literally gasped. He’s amazing.

• Like 9

It was my first time at the ROH, and I left very happy! 

Scenes de ballet was excellent. I enjoyed seeing Ashton’s use of formations. Sarah Lamb and Vadim Munragirov were both brilliant and elegant. The four men (Acri, Donnelly, Richardson and Sissons) were brilliant. At the stage door Sissons said he didn’t think he jumped well, as if! There was a moment where the 6 of them synced up perfectly, and I thought ‘this is heaven’.

Marcelino Sambe was impeccable! His turny-jumps onto the stage received well-deserved applause. Francesca Hayward looked light as a feather, and was flitting across the stage like it was nothing.

And Month in the middle! Nuñez was heavenly, and her and O’Sullivan played off each other well. It was nice to see the difference in their choreography. Matthew Ball was in top form, and Luca Acri as Kolia nearly stole the show!

I must specifically note how this programme made me realise the importance of head movements in Ashton’s choreography. His work is sublime. 

The orchestra was brilliant. Kate Shipway (Month) and Robert Clark (Rhapsody) were incredible. It was funny to think about all the times I’ve watched the streams, and then realising I’m now there! 

There was a good audience today, a range of ages, and all seemed very happy. I wish I could see it again (and more Ashton next season)! 

• Like 22

1 minute ago, MaddieRose said:

It was my first time at the ROH, and I left very happy! 

Scenes de ballet was excellent. I enjoyed seeing Ashton’s use of formations. Sarah Lamb and Vadim Munragirov were both brilliant and elegant. The four men (Acri, Donnelly, Richardson and Sissons) were brilliant. At the stage door Sissons said he didn’t think he jumped well, as if! There was a moment where the 6 of them synced up perfectly, and I thought ‘this is heaven’.

Marcelino Sambe was impeccable! His turny-jumps onto the stage received well-deserved applause. Francesca Hayward looked light as a feather, and was flitting across the stage like it was nothing.

And Month in the middle! Nuñez was heavenly, and her and O’Sullivan played off each other well. It was nice to see the difference in their choreography. Matthew Ball was in top form, and Luca Acri as Kolia nearly stole the show!

I must specifically note how this programme made me realise the importance of head movements in Ashton’s choreography. His work is sublime. 

The orchestra was brilliant. Kate Shipway (Month) and Robert Clark (Rhapsody) were incredible. It was funny to think about all the times I’ve watched the streams, and then realising I’m now there! 

There was a good audience today, a range of ages, and all seemed very happy. I wish I could see it again (and more Ashton next season)! 

Very well said - agree 💯 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Cast sheet for this evening Ashton+CS+23.04.22+7.30pm.pdf (roh.org.uk)

It's interesting that Avis seems to be doing Rakitin with all 3 casts. I wonder if someone else (Whitehead? he did the role in 2019) is ill/injured? It feels as if it would be too risky, especially with covid, to deliberately cast only one dancer for all the casts.

1 hour ago, Angela Essex said:

Just here to say watching Marcelino today in Rhapsody 😮😮😮😮🔥🔥🔥🔥 had to scoop my jaw up off the floor. Idk what that step is called when he’s doing a handless cartwheel turning in the air in the splits but I literally gasped. He’s amazing.

Since the Gala for Ukraine I’ve been calling them Frola rolls 😊

• Like 9