I very much hope you will before long Borzoi as the Royal is in very good shape at the moment so definitely worth a trip across the Pond. 
Not that I’m a big Royalist or anything but next year 2022 is the Queens Platinum Jubilee so maybe London will be looking particularly attractive and also Birmingham is hosting Commonwealth Games so quite a bit going on in U.K. so might be a good year to come and even some deals on air fares...though wouldn’t hold my breath for that unfortunately!! 

• Like 1

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I very much hope you will before long Borzoi as the Royal is in very good shape at the moment so definitely worth a trip across the Pond. 
Not that I’m a big Royalist or anything but next year 2022 is the Queens Platinum Jubilee so maybe London will be looking particularly attractive and also Birmingham is hosting Commonwealth Games so quite a bit going on in U.K. so might be a good year to come and even some deals on air fares...though wouldn’t hold my breath for that unfortunately!! 

Well, that will be something to strive for! I might never want to come home...🤣

• Like 3

I’m not seeing R and J this time around- none of the dates of the performances that I really wanted to see worked for me. However, wanted to just add my voice for Muntagirov as Romeo with Sarah Lamb - I was blown away by them both when I saw them three (?) years ago. Thomas Whitehead was Tybalt then and I’m afraid I also thought it was a bit of a one dimensional portrayal. There is nuance in Shakespeare’s presentation of his character and I like to see this nuance portrayed on stage. Slightly off topic but I’m counting the days now until the first of the Giselles that I’ve booked 😊

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, CCL said:

I’m not seeing R and J this time around- none of the dates of the performances that I really wanted to see worked for me. However, wanted to just add my voice for Muntagirov as Romeo with Sarah Lamb - I was blown away by them both when I saw them three (?) years ago.

So was I! One of the highlights of all my years of ballet-going.

• Like 3

On 14/10/2021 at 07:54, oncnp said:

On the emotional front,  I got exactly what I was expecting having seen his R&J and Manon. IMO he doesn't "do" grand expressive emotion. And I thought he had a little trouble getting started, some heavy landings and just didn't look comfortable.  

I think some of Vadim looking uncomfortable, especially when dancing with Benvolio and Mercutio, is that Vadim is a "lefty" but has to dance with "righties" hence not on his strong side.

I remember Rupert Pennefather having the same "trouble".

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Silke H said:

I think some of Vadim looking uncomfortable, especially when dancing with Benvolio and Mercutio, is that Vadim is a "lefty" but has to dance with "righties" hence not on his strong side.

Interesting, Silke H, and something that wouldn’t otherwise have occurred to me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Silke H said:

I did wonder about that each time I watched that scene for all 3 casts. It was be interesting if there was a list somewhere of which dancers prefer right & which prefer left. I remember finding it slightly disconcerting back in December 2019, when I saw the triple bill including Raymonda Act III twice in one day, because at the matinee Bonelli went one way around the stage for the manege & in the evening Muntagirov went the other way around! I found myself wondering which was the "correct" choreography.

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I did wonder about that each time I watched that scene for all 3 casts. It was be interesting if there was a list somewhere of which dancers prefer right & which prefer left. I remember finding it slightly disconcerting back in December 2019, when I saw the triple bill including Raymonda Act III twice in one day, because at the matinee Bonelli went one way around the stage for the manege & in the evening Muntagirov went the other way around! I found myself wondering which was the "correct" choreography.

I think it is accepted practise in the classics these days to do a manege (or even pirouettes and fouettés) whichever is comfortable as long as it fits in with the setting/other dancer placement.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

Off topic, but interestingly (to me, anyway!) as a left turner, it always looks 'wrong' to me to watch people turn right. It looks much more natural and attainable to me when dancers turn left like I do. 

Both left and right look completely unattainable to me!!

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I think it is accepted practise in the classics these days to do a manege (or even pirouettes and fouettés) whichever is comfortable as long as it fits in with the setting/other dancer placement.

I've gathered that but what I meant was that it would be interesting to know which direction was choreographed originally. Though I realise that with the classics the choreography will have been so amended over the years that this issue is probably one of the more minor uncertainties!

Edited by Dawnstar

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

I've gathered that but what I meant was that it would be interesting to know which direction was choreographed originally. Though I realise that with the classics the choreography will have been so amended over the years that this issue is probably one of the more minur uncertainties!

Anthony Dowell was a left turner - I think Oberon in the Dream was choreographed accordingly?

• Like 2

Usually one side does come easier than the other for most dancers but by professional level most can turn either way and they certainly practice this in class!! 
But if you have a big item like 32 fouettes on your plate then no doubt you would choose your best leg!! 
Bridie your comment made me laugh as most professionals turn so fast (especially Osipova) it does all seem highly unattainable to be sure! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

My wife, a former RB dancer, has told me for years that - in general - Russian dancers turn left and Brits to the right.  

That's interesting as it suggests the dominance is taught/learnt - whereas my own experience - of the dominance being apparent both in watching and in doing- suggests that it could be hard-wired into the brain in some way. Is anyone here an occupational therapist?! 

I should add that I am in no way of professional standard- I very doggedly and diligently staggered through to Advanced 2 which syllabus I studied with interest but declined to be examined in for fear of certain failure! 

I read an interview with Francesca Hayward somewhere where she talks about her left-turn dominance which apparently is far less common in female dancers than in male dancers. Like me she is right handed. Alas, there the similarities cease! 

• Like 1

I’ve just received a reminder for R&J performance next Saturday 23rd October. 
In this info it states that the performance starts at 2.30 pm 

I had always thought it was a 1.30 pm start? 

Has anybody else received a reminder with the time 2.30 on it? 
As am now confused 🤔
It’s actually in the part where you can download the actual e ticket so it’s on the e ticket on my personal events page that it says 2.30pm ....not in the general email info which does say 1.30pm still. 

Edited by LinMM

8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’ve just received a reminder for R&J performance next Saturday 23rd October. 
In this info it states that the performance starts at 2.30 pm 

I had always thought it was a 1.30 pm start? 

Has anybody else received a reminder with the time 2.30 on it? 
As am now confused 🤔
It’s actually in the part where you can download the actual e ticket so it’s on the e ticket on my personal events page that it says 2.30pm ....not in the general email info which does say 1.30pm still. 

Although I'm no longer going to it my note in my trip list on my phone says 1.30....and it still says 1.30 on the What's On page of the website and on the My Events page, I can't view the ticket, presumably as I've had it refunded

28 minutes ago, LinMM said:

IIt’s actually in the part where you can download the actual e ticket so it’s on the e ticket on my personal events page that it says 2.30pm ....not in the general email info which does say 1.30pm still. 

The e-ticket on my upcoming events definitely has the start time as 1.30pm.

Edited to add that the error in your reminder might be connected to the current problems on the ROH website.  So far today, I've received twenty-six emails, all of which contain the same October 20 Dante Project e-ticket!

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

I took a piccie of the page but can’t post it here as it’s too big and don’t know how to make it smaller unfortunately but on my e ticket it definitely says 2.30pm! 
Of course I can get there for 1.30 but just hope it won’t make any difference for admittance 😳 

Just now, LinMM said:

I took a piccie of the page but can’t post it here as it’s too big and don’t know how to make it smaller unfortunately but on my e ticket it definitely says 2.30pm! 
Of course I can get there for 1.30 but just hope it won’t make any difference for admittance 😳 

Might it be worth phoning the box office? Others will have had the same perhaps and I'd hate for them to be late as a consequence.

• Like 2

Yes I I’ve been thinking that might be a good idea just in case any problems. 
I bought the ticket some time ago now so perhaps some of the early ones have this mistake though of course Friends would have got their tickets before mine 🤔

Perhaps it’s just an individual mistake on my e ticket. 

Edited by LinMM

I only bought my ticket for the 23rd matinee less than a week ago (haven't had a reminder yet) and it definitely says 1.30 start. I'm going to get there for then just in case.  Would rather be hanging around a bit than miss the first act, especially as its got most of my favourite scenes in it.

Surely any choreography for a solo will allow for either a left or right turn?  With regard to the comments about Muntagirov looking slightly uncomfortable in places, when it comes to  ensemble pieces is it not possible to pick people who all prefer to turn the same way? Or is that not a realistic approach?  I would have thought originally it would have been choreographed for male dancers in that way?

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

This discussion on 'lefties' and 'righties' made me go back and rewatch 'Symphonic Variations' which is available for those who subscribe to Marquee TV.  It is, of course, an ensemble piece but I noticed that when the 3 men (Muntagirov, Hay and Dyer) did a double tour together Muntagirov turned to the right, but when he was doing solo double tours he turned to the left.  

• Like 1

What strange things happening! 
I found that on my “Upcoming Events” page not only does R & J have the incorrect start time of 2.30pm but also the Dante for the 26th has an 8.30 instead of 7.30pm start!! 
I spoke to box office this morning and have now emailed screen shots to them. 
However when I actually go into “access your e ticket “ bit and view the actual ticket it does have the correct starting time on as does the Dante. 
Most people probably do know the correct times anyway but if you were not a frequent goer and just looked at your upcoming events you might get mislead if the wrong time is there as I know many don’t print off their tickets beforehand and imagine turning up say at 2pm for a “2.30” performance accessing your ticket only to find it started half an hour ago 😳 

They are looking into it anyway and hopefully nobody does get caught out. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LinMM said:

What strange things happening! 
I found that on my “Upcoming Events” page not only does R & J have the incorrect start time of 2.30pm but also the Dante for the 26th has an 8.30 instead of 7.30pm start!! 
I spoke to box office this morning and have now emailed screen shots to them. 
However when I actually go into “access your e ticket “ bit and view the actual ticket it does have the correct starting time on as does the Dante. 
Most people probably do know the correct times anyway but if you were not a frequent goer and just looked at your upcoming events you might get mislead if the wrong time is there as I know many don’t print off their tickets beforehand and imagine turning up say at 2pm for a “2.30” performance accessing your ticket only to find it started half an hour ago 😳 

They are looking into it anyway and hopefully nobody does get caught out. 

Perhaps this a glitch in the new "purchase path" mentioned above. Doesn't bode well for the opening of Swan Lake booking on Tuesday.

I had a reply already! From Sandra. 
she said after consulting with the managers they advised her to tell me that my browser may have an automatic time adjustment on it if in a different time zone and to use a different browser. 
Highly ironic as I haven’t left the UK now for over five years ( unfortunately) so certainly nothing to do with my browser! 
However it did occur to me that perhaps whoever sent the info out to my Events Page may have been in a different time zone at the time lol!! 
I did order them in August and an hour ahead suggests European time 🌞🧳🩱🏊🧉👒🏖

Or could just be a glitch on the ROH computer who knows!! 

11 minutes ago, LinMM said:

she said after consulting with the managers they advised her to tell me that my browser may have an automatic time adjustment on it if in a different time zone and to use a different browser. 
Highly ironic as I haven’t left the UK now for over five years ( unfortunately) so certainly nothing to do with my browser! 
However it did occur to me that perhaps whoever sent the info out to my Events Page may have been in a different time zone at the time lol!! 

Maybe but my US  based computer always shows correct UK times for My Upcoming Events. 

Edited by oncnp

13 minutes ago, LinMM said:

There are so many ways to say “we haven’t got a clue as to what has happened!!!”!! 

• Like 9