Back to R&J.  The Ballet Boyz film was on BBC4 last night and I watched it for the umpteenth time. So interesting to compare the film versus the stage version so fresh in my mind.  Thrilled and excited that I have a double whammy of R&J on Saturday where I will see all the major participants of the film in one or other of the performances.  I am expecting supreme romance in the matinee followed by fireworks in the evening.   

Edited by JennyTaylor
typo
  • Like 6

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to have look up tonight's cast sheet - just curiosity, I'm not seeing this cast - but the link on the cast sheets page just goes to the main R&J page and then tonight's performance, as it's already started, is no longer on the list of performances. Has anyone managed to find where tonight's cast sheet may be?

I see from his Instagram that Gartside is Tybalt tonight. He's posted a picture of his costume with the label showing his name & another name underneath that looks like Mock, so I wonder if that's an indication of an upcoming Tybalt for the January run? I don't think he's done the role before, has he?

50 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I tried to have look up tonight's cast sheet - just curiosity, I'm not seeing this cast - but the link on the cast sheets page just goes to the main R&J page and then tonight's performance, as it's already started, is no longer on the list of performances. Has anyone managed to find where tonight's cast sheet may be?

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/romeo-and-juliet-by-kenneth-macmillan/cast-list/48941

We’ve got Friar Ponytail tonight. He looks a lot more willing to dispense poison than marry people.

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, Rob S said:

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/romeo-and-juliet-by-kenneth-macmillan/cast-list/48941

We’ve got Friar Ponytail tonight. He looks a lot more willing to dispense poison than marry people.

Unfortunately when I click on that link it just redirects me to the main R&J page at https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/romeo-and-juliet-by-kenneth-macmillan-details I've tried 2 different browsers, in case Firefox was doing something with remembering cookies that was messing it up, but I get the same thing in Chrome & Edge too. Grrrr!

I wonder why they don't give him a period-appropriate wig, if he doesn't want to have a haircut.

• Like 1

A magical evening! Lamb and McRae both in wonderful form - strong connection and great acting from both, and the dancing was magnificent. McRae seemed on fire from the balcony pas de deux onwards. Very long and touching standing ovation for him at the end, during which he was presented with a bottle of bubbly 🙂

• Like 14

Very cheering indeed and Steven McRae's sheer bravery is quite remarkable.

It is also uplifting to reflect on the amazing treatment, care and support injured dancers get nowadays, for such long periods of time- and the whole team who helped Steven deserve a clap too.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Mary said:

Very cheering indeed and Steven McRae's sheer bravery is quite remarkable.

It is also uplifting to reflect on the amazing treatment, care and support injured dancers get nowadays, for such long periods of time- and the whole team who helped Steven deserve a clap too.

I absolutely agree. His courage and tenacity are remarkable and the pictures are both beautiful and very moving.

• Like 8

Having finally been able to view the cast sheet, I see Hay was Mercutio. I seem to be doomed not to get to see him in the role! Last time I saw 5 casts & no luck. This time I see 3 out of the 4 October casts & he's in the only one I don't see. Grrr! I do wish they'd announce Mercutio & Tybalt casting in advance.

• Like 5

You might need to book for McRae's scheduled performances in future, Dawnstar: Hay frequently seems to be cast as support in them - I guess it's probably a height thing.

Hang on, did you say Mercutio?  Is that a debut?  I was thinking Benvolio.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, alison said:

You might need to book for McRae's scheduled performances in future, Dawnstar: Hay frequently seems to be cast as support in them - I guess it's probably a height thing.

Hang on, did you say Mercutio?  Is that a debut?  I was thinking Benvolio.

I've not yet ever seen McRae live! Just after I started seeing the RB he went on leave to do Cats then got injured. Do they cast Mercutios on height though? All the RB Mercutios seem to be on the shorter side. I don't think Hay's that much shorter than Acri or Sambe, is he? I guess Zuchetti's a bit taller. (Is that all the RB Mercutios?)

The cast sheet definitely says Hay as Mercutio, with Ella as Benvolio. I don't think it's a debut though, as I'm sure I remember being disappointed that I didn't manage to see him Mercutio in 2019 so he presumably must have been doing it then.

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Having finally been able to view the cast sheet, I see Hay was Mercutio. I seem to be doomed not to get to see him in the role! Last time I saw 5 casts & no luck. This time I see 3 out of the 4 October casts & he's in the only one I don't see. Grrr! I do wish they'd announce Mercutio & Tybalt casting in advance.

I thought he was very good. 
Re debut,  I’ve seen him at least twice as Mercutio in 2019….22/5 and 1/6 

51610410641_65b14e538c_b.jpg

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 8

Really great to see McRae back again last night - maybe everso slightly tentative at first, but soon full steam ahead. Amazing what his determination and the splendid ministrations of all the support staff at the Opera House have managed!

The House was packed and very enthusiastic, but I have to say I was so disappointed (?angry) that only about 5% in the Stalls and Stalls Circle were masked, despite the repeated encouragements in the announcements. I am afraid I even had to ask the woman sitting next to us to stop coughing with an open mouth...

Meanwhile, at the National Ballet of Canada :

"All patrons, 12 years of age or older, must provide proof of vaccination to attend performances by The National Ballet of Canada .All audience members must wear a mask at all times in the lobby and auditorium, except when eating or drinking. Neck gaiters and bandanas will not be permitted."

• Like 15