8 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I wonder if any of the other Principal men are likely to have a go at the role? Admittedly I'm struggling to think of any suitable, given Sambe does Mercutio & if Corrales were to have a go at another role I see him more as a Mercutio type than a Tybalt type.

I must admit, after he'd given up dancing Romeo I did wonder whether Ed Watson might have had a go at the role.  In fact, I was hoping he might last time round, but he didn't - I later discovered he'd been off in Europe somewhere rehearsing Mayerling.

• Like 2

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I heard Kevin O'Hare's message once audibly and once very faintly during the interval. Mask wearing last night was dismal and I felt uncomfortable at times. 

I agree with the dismal part .... I'm now calling the ROH the 'public transport of UK cultural institutions' certainly in terms of the 'courtesy' that Bridem refers to ... and, without hesitation, public safety, given that it is a place of mass gathering.  They have announcements in the tube too which progressively more and more people ignore - although, to be fair, not as much, say, as last night at the ROH.  Please - PLEASE - may the ROH be this country's nadir in terms of public institutions in this regard.  It is just SO disrespectful.  (I was at the Bridge Theatre but two nights earlier and face coverings were much more prevalent there.)  That ROH house staff member's refrain spoken to me some weeks ago about feeling 'distinctly unsafe' was certainly reverberating in my ear last night.  There is no question but that it detracts from the cultural product.  How could it not?

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 20:48, Sim said:

I just wonder why choreographers and directors don’t want the audience to actually see the results of their hard work.  Not to mention the work put in by the artists to transfer their vision to the stage…all to just be lost in the gloom. 

Whereas, for tonight's premier of The Dante Project....!

"Please note there are bright lights in Paradiso: Poema Sacra"

• Like 3

Back to the Naghdi/Muntagirov reactions, and, oh dear, I've booked to see them next Friday and now I'm wishing I hadn't. Strange, isn't it, that he and Bracewell are both masters of the understated style and yet Bracewell conveys emotion so well. Having said that, I have previously been extremely moved by Muntagirov's Lensky, and he and Nunez certainly tug at the heartstrings in Giselle so perhaps it's just a matter of chemistry - or lack of - between the leads.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Back to the Naghdi/Muntagirov reactions, and, oh dear, I've booked to see them next Friday and now I'm wishing I hadn't. Strange, isn't it, that he and Bracewell are both masters of the understated style and yet Bracewell conveys emotion so well. Having said that, I have previously been extremely moved by Muntagirov's Lensky, and he and Nunez certainly tug at the heartstrings in Giselle so perhaps it's just a matter of chemistry - or lack of - between the leads.

The opinions on the forum are simply individual opinions with which I, for one, happen to disagree in relation to Naghdi/Muntagirov.

I love to know what other people think but also to make up my own mind. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Scheherezade said:

and you may completely love it...I wouldn't let a few less-than-enthusiastic opinions put you off (including mine). I'm also booked to see it again next Friday and it may be a completely different experience.  And I wouldn't judge chemistry on the first performance. 

Edited by oncnp

16 minutes ago, capybara said:

The opinions on the forum are simply individual opinions with which I, for one, happen to disagree in relation to Naghdi/Muntagirov.

I love to know what other people think but also to make up my own mind. 

Absolutely, capybara! Opinions are subjective and influenced by all sorts of things that will differ from person to person. And only a small number of people have posted any doubts here, whereas Naghdi and Muntagirov got a great reception last night and so clearly thrilled the vast majority of the audience.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, oncnp said:

On the emotional front,  I got exactly what I was expecting having seen his R&J and Manon. IMO he doesn't "do" grand expressive emotion. And I thought he had a little trouble getting started, some heavy landings and just didn't look comfortable. 

I'm glad to see someone say this. I too thought some of his technique seemed a bit off to start with, but he's usually so technically brilliant that I wondered if my eyes were deceiving me! He didn't seem to be quite matching Acri & Richardson in some of the side-by-side steps for the 3 men in the pre-ball scene. He seemed to have got into gear later in Act 1 though. Maybe a slight bit of rustiness, as it's his first performance of the season?

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

“We have now strengthened our messaging on this even further with recorded requests from Maestro Pappano from the Royal Opera Company and Kevin O’Hare from The Royal Ballet for our audience to keep wearing masks when attending.”

Here’s hoping Tony Pappano and Kevin O’Hare achieve significant improvements in compliance.

I should say that I don’t know if these are auditorium announcements just before lights out at the start of each act or more general announcements before audiences take their seats. I hope it’s the former as on reflection I rather think I may have heard something when in the foyer before the opening night performance but wasn’t paying much attention.

Last night Kevin O'Hare was heard for the 5 minutes before curtain up announcement. I was in the loos at the time, where I'd say less than half those in the vicinity were masked. Unfortunately his announcement had no visible effect whatsoever.

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

I have yet to see anyone in the auditorium put on a mask after one of the announcers messages 

I've seen a few of people put masks on after announcements in the auditorium. They'd then almost all removed them by the end of the same act.

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

I didn't get a pic that did either him or the ponytail justice I'm afraid, I can only submit this evidence of how being stabbed in the armpit draws blood from the knee

I guess having blood somewhere is better than the usual completely bloodless R&J stabbings!

2 hours ago, alison said:

I must admit, after he'd given up dancing Romeo I did wonder whether Ed Watson might have had a go at the role.  In fact, I was hoping he might last time round, but he didn't - I later discovered he'd been off in Europe somewhere rehearsing Mayerling.

Oh yes, I can imagine Watson doing Tybalt, but presumably too late now. Of course Kish did have a go during the last run but I have a feeling he only did the one performance? So presumably he decided the role wasn't for him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I agree with the dismal part .... I'm now calling the ROH the 'public transport of UK cultural institutions' certainly in terms of the 'courtesy' that Bridem refers to ... and, without hesitation, public safety, given that it is a place of mass gathering.  They have announcements in the tube too which progressively more and more people ignore - although, to be fair, not as much, say, as last night at the ROH.  Please - PLEASE - may the ROH be this country's nadir in terms of public institutions in this regard.  It is just SO disrespectful.  (I was at the Bridge Theatre but two nights earlier and face coverings were much more prevalent there.)  That ROH house staff member's refrain spoken to me some weeks ago about feeling 'distinctly unsafe' was certainly reverberating in my ear last night.  There is no question but that it detracts from the cultural product.  How could it not?

It doesn't distract me from the cultural product at all.  I am at the ballet to watch the ballet, and those wonderful artists are much better than being reduced to second fiddle.  

Can we please keep the threads about ballets pertaining to ballet.  There is another thread about mask wearing somewhere I think;  if not please start one on 'not dance'.  

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Sim said:

It doesn't distract me from the cultural product at all.  I am at the ballet to watch the ballet, and those wonderful artists are much better than being reduced to second fiddle.  

Can we please keep the threads about ballets pertaining to ballet.  There is another thread about mask wearing somewhere I think;  if not please start one on 'not dance'.  

I am sorry, Sim, - and I hope you know how much I respect you - I believe you do - but this DOES affect my comfort/ease - and therefore ability - in being able to appreciate the cultural product (so called).  Certainly it did at this performance - which is why I feel it is right that it should be here.  I appreciate the fact that it didn't for you.  I respect that.  Earnestly I do.  I realise that there are a goodly number of others who will have been with you in that.  Indeed, they were visually present.  That said I cannot feel that I am alone in how I feel - or felt during THAT PERFORMANCE OF ROMEO AND JULIET - and I would hope (perhaps wrongfully) that too could - or at least might - be respected.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I am sorry, Sim, - and I hope you know how much I respect you - I believe you do - but this DOES effect my comfort/ease - and therefore ability - in being able to appreciate the cultural product (so called).  Certainly it did at this performance - which is why I feel it is right that it should be here.  I appreciate the fact that it didn't for you.  I respect that.  Earnestly I do.  I realise that there are a goodly number of others who will have been with you in that.  Indeed, they were visually present.  That said I cannot feel that I alone in how I feel - or felt during THAT PERFORMANCE OF ROMEO AND JULIET - and I would hope (perhaps wrongfully) that too could - or at least might - be respected.  

In turn I respect your feelings Bruce, and can understand if you feel uncomfortable.  However, Covid is not going away any time soon, and what with more vaccinations and now boosters, it is becoming less and less severe, and nor have there been any more variants recently.  People are being asked less and less to wear masks;  many people feel just as uncomfortable wearing a mask as you do not wearing one.  People have been psychologically damaged by the past 18 months and need to recover themselves by feeling that they are living normally again.  It is no longer a legal requirement for people to wear masks;  it is personal choice, even if asked to do so.  I saw quite a few members of the RB staff and backroom people wandering around without a mask yesterday and on Saturday.  You are going to find yourself more and more in the company of other human beings who aren't wearing masks;  please don't make them feel like criminals if they choose not to wear one.

As I mentioned above, I personally do not want threads about artistry and performances to be taken over by what is and has been a very depressing situation.  We are so lucky that we can have full houses once again, and full stages.  Please, please let's concentrate on that.  Anyone who feels the need to discuss mask wearing can either open a thread on Not Dance, or away from this forum.  Thank you.

• Like 10

Back to the ballet and the relative merits of our various Romeo and Juliet casts.  The production is high class, whomever you see, so I would not worry about whether or not you will enjoy one particular performance. You will!  I really enjoyed last night: particular nuances and emotional impact are entirely individual so we will all feel differently.  I think that is what this Forum is all about. I really enjoy reading everyone's different impressions. 

• Like 9

Just a few quick thoughts on last night:

I thought Yasmine was a very convincing Juliet.  I loved her nuances and little touches (such as shrugging her shoulders to Nurse after consideration of the fact that Romeo is a Montague), and the beauty of her dancing complemented her dramatic interpretation. However, she had nothing to feed off with Vadim.  I was so impressed with him in Winter Dreams and Manon that I thought something might spark out of him.  Not yet.  Maybe in the next show.  I would love to see these two beautiful and pure classical dancers do one or all of the 'white' ballets together.  I think that would work a treat.

I must say that I was left cold this time by Hayward and Corrales too, even though I really enjoyed the whole performance.  As I said after the Saturday performance of Bracewell/Kaneko, my heart can only break when there is equal passion and drama (all from deep within the soul) from both dancers;  it is very rare that this happens for me.

I think Tom Whitehead's Tybalt was the most disappointing one I have seen for a long time.  It was one-dimensional;  he came on with an angry face and that was all we got for the rest of the night.  No subtlety, no indication of any thought processes...just emptiness.  And that ponytail has got to go!   Matthew Ball has indeed raised the bar very high indeed for this role and I can't see anyone reaching for that bar anytime soon.  

I loved the three harlots (Calvert, Storm-Jensen and Grennell), and there was a lovely little touch where Claire Calvert was looking for nits in Hannah Grennell's hair!  Always so much going on in the background.

I will be very interested to see how this cast's performance next week goes.  

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Maybe he needs just the right partner to pull it out of him. Wondering why he and Nunez were not cast as R&J?

31 minutes ago, Borzoi said:

Maybe he needs just the right partner to pull it out of him. Wondering why he and Nunez were not cast as R&J?

In the last run Muntagirov danced with Sarah Lamb (as he has in a number of MacMillan ballets). I was lucky enough to be at one of the performances and thought they were wonderful together. Always worth trying other partnerships though of course.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DanJL said:

In the last run Muntagirov danced with Sarah Lamb (as he has in a number of MacMillan ballets). I was lucky enough to be at one of the performances and thought they were wonderful together. Always worth trying other partnerships though of course.

Yes! He and Sarah are wonderful together!

• Like 1

I’m disappointed to hear people seemed not too keen with Muntagirov as Romeo. 
I loved him in Month in the Country and felt he had found new ground for relating to characters rather than just his usually wonderful pure dance roles. I had high hopes for him in this ( though I won’t be seeing him) 

Perhaps you have to have been abjectly in love where existence without the “other” seems impossible ( well at least initially!) before you can appreciate the drama of considering killing yourself for a loved one. It is a highly on the extreme end of a dramatic ( and obviously unadvised ) act. Otherwise it may be difficult to relate to internally so can only then be a “performed” role. 
Im sure he will improve though ....I can’t believe it was really that much to do with the actual pairing itself though. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Borzoi said:

Wondering why he and Nunez were not cast as R&J?

Whilst Nunez/Muntagirov is clearly a great partnership, personally I think it's fine if they  don't dance together in  every production! I would imagine (based on no authority whatsoever) that they may well like a change themselves on occasions. 

Nunez is partnered with Bonelli in the New Year - looking forward  to that!

• Like 8

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere but the latest Friends email or booklet mentioned that the Balletboyz film of Romeo and Juliet : Beyond Words with Hayward/Bracewell has been nominated for an Arts Emmy Award. Hope it wins. It deserves to though I don't know what the competition is.

Also aren't we seeing them partner again in Swan Lake? I bet that's really special though I would have loved to see them do Romeo and Juliet together again. 

Coming back to Vadim I've booked to see him Friday 22nd Oct. I've only seen him once before in the role and it wasn't long after he came to the RB. It was the only role I've ever seen him in where I wasn't totally convinced by his performance.  Strange, as he did it so much with ENB,  including Daria Klimitova's final performance. Perhaps for me and some others, it might be the one role that eludes him. I sincerely hope not. I'll definitely be rooting for him and hoping I'll be as moved by both their performances as I was by the Hayward/Bracewell film which I thought was terrific, totally believable and heartbreaking. I'm also booked to see Kaneko/Bracewell, Hayward/Coralles and Takada/Campbell so plenty of opportunities for comparison. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sim said:

I would love to see these two beautiful and pure classical dancers do one or all of the 'white' ballets together.  I think that would work a treat.

Yes indeed.........................

I am so much looking forward to some 'beautiful'.....'pure' and classical' ballets....which I would much prefer to see at the moment than any amount of powerful, passionate, heart-breaking, anguished, angst-ridden,emotional dramas....

Maybe I am alone in that but still.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’m disappointed to hear people seemed not too keen with Muntagirov as Romeo. 
I loved him in Month in the Country and felt he had found new ground for relating to characters rather than just his usually wonderful pure dance roles. I had high hopes for him in this ( though I won’t be seeing him)

Do Ashton & MacMillan necessarily correlate, in terms of dancers being emotionally good at one also being emotionally good at the other? (Technically suited is another matter, that seems to be more often discussed.) For example personally I've loved Cuthbertson in the Ashton roles I've seen her in, Two Pigeons & Month In The Country, yet her Juliet & Manon failed to move me, and that despite her being partnered in both by Ball, who I thought was incredible as Des Grieux especially.

1 hour ago, DanJL said:

And Steven McRae is finally back, Lamb's usual partner. 

As a Young ROH ticket holder, I was fortunate enough to be sat front row Stalls Circle, where I was able to clearly see facial expressions really well. It was my very first time seeing Vadim, and I for one was definitely moved by his and Yasmine's performance. I'm also sure I wasn't the only one; after the first act, I could hear numerous people in SC singing their praises and saying it was 'phenomenal'.  Its quite hard to explain, but I thought Vadim brought out something in Yasmine that I haven't seen before with her and Matthew Ball. I was actually quite skeptical before the performance, as I only ever saw Yasmine with Matthew, and once in Don Quixote with Marcelino, but I have to say I believe I witnessed the start of another beautiful partnership in Naghdi/Muntagirov. Also, was it just me that found the height difference really satisfiying?! At least in that they compliment each other really well, as well as in their technique. I haven't seen the other Juliets yet (have booked for Kaneko/Bracewell on Sat), but I believe Yasmine may be known for being one of the most dramatic and expressive Juliets, she certainly came across as very 'strong' and 'independent' and even 'fierce' in the 3rd Act, definitely more so than before.

I'm optimistic and very hopeful that the Naghdi/Muntagirov pairing will grow from strength to strength, in the future, if they will get paired up again! 

• Like 17

24 minutes ago, Marie said:

As a Young ROH ticket holder, I was fortunate enough to be sat front row Stalls Circle, where I was able to clearly see facial expressions really well. It was my very first time seeing Vadim, and I for one was definitely moved by his and Yasmine's performance. I'm also sure I wasn't the only one; after the first act, I could hear numerous people in SC singing their praises and saying it was 'phenomenal'.  Its quite hard to explain, but I thought Vadim brought out something in Yasmine that I haven't seen before with her and Matthew Ball. I was actually quite skeptical before the performance, as I only ever saw Yasmine with Matthew, and once in Don Quixote with Marcelino, but I have to say I believe I witnessed the start of another beautiful partnership in Naghdi/Muntagirov. Also, was it just me that found the height difference really satisfiying?! At least in that they compliment each other really well, as well as in their technique. I haven't seen the other Juliets yet (have booked for Kaneko/Bracewell on Sat), but I believe Yasmine may be known for being one of the most dramatic and expressive Juliets, she certainly came across as very 'strong' and 'independent' and even 'fierce' in the 3rd Act, definitely more so than before.

I'm optimistic and very hopeful that the Naghdi/Muntagirov pairing will grow from strength to strength, in the future, if they will get paired up again! 

Brilliant review, Marie and great to have such a positive one for Yasmine and Vadim. Is this the first full length they've done together? I'm looking forward to it even more now. Roll on next Friday!

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Marie said:

Thank you for your review Marie.  I was I the stalls circle too last night and thought that Yasmine and Vadim made a great partnership. I think that this thread has shown that we all have different opinions, and they’re all equally valid.  One only has to read the critics in some newspapers to wonder if they’ve seen the same show!

Anyway, apart from the chemistry question IMO there was plenty to enjoy in Vadim’s performance.  Also, since I haven’t seen this ballet for many years I’d forgotten how absolutely gorgeous the music is!

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Brilliant review, Marie and great to have such a positive one for Yasmine and Vadim. Is this the first full length they've done together? I'm looking forward to it even more now. Roll on next Friday!

Agreed. And thank you Marie (and Nina 99 who has also just posted) for putting forward such positive reactions. Before my earlier post, the total absence of any mention of Yasmine and Vadim was utterly deafening. I shall also look forward to next Friday. And to the reprieve of Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell on Saturday. It will be interesting to compare them within such a short timeframe. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

I only heard Mr O’Hare’s announcement once over my three trips of this season. If they wanted the message strengthened then maybe get some of the dancers to make the announcements. 
I have yet to see anyone in the auditorium put on a mask after one of the announcers messages 

The chap sitting next to me on Saturday put his on, so that's one person! I was in the GT on Saturday and mask wearing seemed pretty good. 

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere but the latest Friends email or booklet mentioned that the Balletboyz film of Romeo and Juliet : Beyond Words with Hayward/Bracewell has been nominated for an Arts Emmy Award. Hope it wins. It deserves to though I don't know what the competition is.

Also aren't we seeing them partner again in Swan Lake? I bet that's really special though I would have loved to see them do Romeo and Juliet together again. 

Coming back to Vadim I've booked to see him Friday 22nd Oct. I've only seen him once before in the role and it wasn't long after he came to the RB. It was the only role I've ever seen him in where I wasn't totally convinced by his performance.  Strange, as he did it so much with ENB,  including Daria Klimitova's final performance. Perhaps for me and some others, it might be the one role that eludes him. I sincerely hope not. I'll definitely be rooting for him and hoping I'll be as moved by both their performances as I was by the Hayward/Bracewell film which I thought was terrific, totally believable and heartbreaking. I'm also booked to see Kaneko/Bracewell, Hayward/Coralles and Takada/Campbell so plenty of opportunities for comparison. 

How wonderful you have the opportunity to see all of these performances! I cherish the memory of seeing the RB live when they toured the U.S. many years ago.  Saw R&J with Sibley/Dowell and it was a life-changing event. My favorite ballet company in the world with the best dancers. The prospect of seeing Muntagirov live is the one thing that might get me on a plane again. (Terrified to fly! LOL!)

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, MJW said:

The chap sitting next to me on Saturday put his on, so that's one person! I was in the GT on Saturday and mask wearing seemed pretty good. 

I am trying very hard to move this thread away from mentions of masks!  

• Like 4