Cancellations in the UK caused by coronavirus

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given my experience of The Stage's habit of blocking my access, I think it's appropriate to post this in full:

"

SOLT and UK Theatre’s statement in full

The safety of our audience and workforce is paramount to us as we navigate this challenging time. We, therefore, regret to announce that as of this evening all SOLT and UK Theatre member venues will close this evening (including tonight’s performances) in light of the most recent official government advice. They will remain closed until further notice and will re-open as soon as possible, following government recommendations.”

If you have bought tickets to a show that has been cancelled, then you are entitled to a refund and your ticket provider will be in touch. Please bear with us during this time.

The magic of theatre lies in its live performances and it is not something that can be experienced in the same way remotely. Its ability to lift people and entertain people even in times of difficulty is unparalleled and so we are extremely grateful to all of our audiences, who have continued to support us for as long as they can. We can’t wait to welcome our audiences back into the UK’s theatres as soon as possible.

We would like to commend the dedicated hard work from everyone in theatres across London and the UK over the last few weeks to continue to entertain and delight people for as long as they safely could. There are over 290,000 individuals working in the theatre industry across the UK, and the closure of theatres and public venues will have a devastating impact.

At this time, we must come together to support each other. Theatre as an industry relies on its audiences entirely to exist. We will rely on you now more than ever.

Many theatres that have been forced to cancel performances are charitable enterprises and have reached out to their audiences and asked for their support by donating their tickets. While ticketholders are all entitled to a refund for cancelled performances, the financial toll that refunding these tickets will have on small, charitably funded theatres is vast. We urge anyone who can afford to donate the cost of their ticket to show their support for our industry by doing so.

If you’re looking for ways to show your support to the theatre industry and all its hardworking professionals, please consider purchasing Theatre Tokens, which you can use once our theatres are back up and running. These can be used at over 260 venues across the country and have no expiration date.

Theatre fans and patrons are the lifeblood of our creative industry and we simply could not open our doors without you. We’re extremely grateful for all the messages of support we have received so far, and we look forward to welcoming you back to come and support our theatres when they re-open.

We will remain in contact over the coming weeks and keep everyone up-to-date as the situation changes. In order to stay informed, safe and healthy, current NHS advice can be found here.

During this period, we as an industry want to play our part in supporting everyone in our communities and will also continue to look for ways to entertain and uplift people across the country, so please follow our social channels and stay in touch."

• Like 1

Just now, Janite said:

given this inevitable news I think it is really important that we all stay in touch through this site, maybe suggesting things we can all watch and comment on?

yes, a new thread with live-streams, recordings, whatever to watch and chat about would be wonderful.   

• Like 2

I watch a lot of ballet,  I attend adult ballet classes in Manchester and Leeds every week.  I even run a small amateur ballet company.   I had been looking forward to Kenneth Tindall's Geisha (which by all accounts is a triumph) and the revival of David Dawson's Swan Lake  (my favourite production) for months as well as lots of other shows.

I am desolate that I may miss those shows and inconsolable that in view of my age I may never grab a barre again..

Nevertheless.   If that is part of the price that I and other members of the public have to pay for the greater good then so be it.   If it flattens demand for NHS services, saves lives or otherwise contributes to overcoming the disease then it is a price well worth paying 

Plagues don't last forever.   Rather than lament what we are about to lose it is important is to look after our artists, companies and theatres and plan for the time when the emergency is over.

• Like 11

The forum is a great consolation in troubled times- thanks once again, moderators.

The thread sounds a great idea, yes please.

May I just make a plea to ban all references to the Second World War.....

• Like 4

From the Sadler's Wells website, a slightly different wording:

"Coronavirus update, Monday 16 March, 19:00 GMT

We are sorry to announce that all Sadler’s Wells performances have been cancelled, effective today.

Our thoughts and sympathy are with all those impacted by the current coronavirus pandemic. We are closely monitoring the situation and following government, NHS and Public Health England guidance. Based on their advice today, performances at all three of our theatres – Sadler's Wells Theatre, Lilian Baylis Studio and Peacock Theatre – are now cancelled for a period of up to 12 weeks.

Based on this calculation, we hope to be able to resume presenting performances on 9 June. However, we are aware this may change depending on developments and as further guidance from the government becomes available.

If you have tickets for any of the cancelled performances, our Ticket Office team will contact you directly to agree on how you would like your account to be credited. You can do any of the following:

• Turn your ticket price into a gift to Sadler’s Wells to support us as we navigate this uncertain time. Sadler’s Wells is a charity and up to 75% of our income each year is generated through ticket sales. This will help us continuing to commission artists, produce new work and deliver our artistic and learning programmes in future.
  • Donate part of your credit to Sadler’s Wells and either use any remaining amount towards tickets for a future performance at any of our venues, or claim a partial refund. 
  • Use your credit to purchase tickets to a future performance at any of our venues. 
  • Claim a full refund to your original method of payment.

We are receiving a high volume of phone calls and emails and we’d appreciate your patience as we contact all ticket holders as quickly as we can in these difficult circumstances.

We are especially grateful for any general donations to Sadler’s Wells at this time.

Thank you for your understanding and support as we all work through this difficult time."

https://www.sadlerswells.com/coronavirus-update/

Francesca Hayward has posted this lovely message on her Instagram account:

'These are very strange and unpredictable times but they really put everything into perspective for me. I realise that the most important thing right now is for us all to stay healthy and I feel all we can do is take each day as it comes and be sensible and diligent as individuals in order to help each other. Whilst this is obviously a serious situation I am enjoying the humorous relief on Instagram and also I feel warmed by the messages of love and support I see from all around the world. Staying healthy physically is obviously a priority but we also need to keep each other’s spirits lifted and our minds motivated! 🖤'

• Like 18

12 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

As others have mentioned, it's not just ROH who will take a financial hit here. It might be worth considering alternative beneficiaries for your refunded money, such as the smaller companies.

We should probably also wait a few days for further announcements about Government help before assuming the hit will be solely borne by the theatres and companies. There's an awful lot going on right now and I don't think it's reasonable to expect it all to be worked out from the off. And I doubt they'll get that much sympathy here, but we should also be wary of sending the insurance companies - already taking big hits from the floods and cancelled travel - into bankruptcy by pushing all liability onto them.

Great post, Lizbie

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bridiem said:

Francesca Hayward has posted this lovely message on her Instagram account:

'These are very strange and unpredictable times but they really put everything into perspective for me. I realise that the most important thing right now is for us all to stay healthy and I feel all we can do is take each day as it comes and be sensible and diligent as individuals in order to help each other. Whilst this is obviously a serious situation I am enjoying the humorous relief on Instagram and also I feel warmed by the messages of love and support I see from all around the world. Staying healthy physically is obviously a priority but we also need to keep each other’s spirits lifted and our minds motivated! 🖤'

This is a very thoughtful and positive message from Francesca Hayward; particularly so as she would be entitled to feel pretty devastated  at the postponement, for who knows how long,  of her long awaited SL debut. Her attitude  will do much, I think, to lift the spirits of us balletomanes at this time. Well done Frankie!  

• Like 7

Leeds Grand Theatre has formally closed today.  At least we managed to see the premiere of Northern Ballet's Geisha.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Closure Update 
Following official government advice issued on Monday 16 March, which stipulates that people should avoid public buildings, including theatres, we regret to announce that Leeds Grand Theatre & Opera House Ltd. will close from today to help slow the spread of coronavirus.

Both Leeds Grand Theatre and City Varieties Music Hall will cease public performances from Tuesday 17 March.

We will be in touch regarding the options available to you for refunds or transfers to other performances, but as you will appreciate, we will prioritise the performances closest to today then be in touch with customers who have tickets booked to future shows as the length of closure becomes clearer.

Please bear with us – we will contact customers on an ongoing basis. Our customer service teams will be very busy so please do not email or telephone regarding your booking, you will hear from us in due course.

This is an unprecedented event for our venues – combined, we have been open for over 300 years - our future is now uncertain.

Thank you for your continued support and loyalty.

Best wishes

Leeds Grand Theatre & Opera House

Birmingham Hippodrome has closed until 28th March - currently they have The Book of Mormon.

I think this means the Alexandra in Birmingham and all the other ATG theatres (Leeds, Bristol, etc) are closed too.

The Town Hall and Symphony Hall are still open at the moment, but are expected to close soon. No news on the other Birmingham theatres.

I have bookings for some theatres in the near future. Pinkies crossed, it wil all be over soon.

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Leeds Grand Theatre has formally closed today.  At least we managed to see the premiere of Northern Ballet's Geisha.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Closure Update 
Following official government advice issued on Monday 16 March, which stipulates that people should avoid public buildings, including theatres, we regret to announce that Leeds Grand Theatre & Opera House Ltd. will close from today to help slow the spread of coronavirus.

Both Leeds Grand Theatre and City Varieties Music Hall will cease public performances from Tuesday 17 March.

We will be in touch regarding the options available to you for refunds or transfers to other performances, but as you will appreciate, we will prioritise the performances closest to today then be in touch with customers who have tickets booked to future shows as the length of closure becomes clearer.

Please bear with us – we will contact customers on an ongoing basis. Our customer service teams will be very busy so please do not email or telephone regarding your booking, you will hear from us in due course.

This is an unprecedented event for our venues – combined, we have been open for over 300 years - our future is now uncertain.

Thank you for your continued support and loyalty.

Best wishes

Leeds Grand Theatre & Opera House

I just received my cancellation email for Geisha: choice of donate, refund, credit or rebook tickets for Merlin. I chose the Merlin option. With Sean Lake, Geisha and Dante tickets likely to be cancelled I can't afford to just donate especially with train tickets for Sunday I can't use, but rebooking seems like a good compromise. 

• Like 1

The following LONDON BALLET CIRCLE events have now been postponed or cancelled until further notice:

Anna Rose O'Sullivan, First Soloist of The Royal Ballet "In Conversation" - was 6th April

Visit to Dance Forward Easter Course at the RAD - was 11th April

Visit to Freeds - was 20th April

Visit to The Royal Ballet School - was 28th April

An Evening of Words and Music with Gavin Sutherland Music Director/Conductor of ENB - was 5th May

Remembering Rudolf - a special reflection on Nureyev's life and work including reminiscences, film and dance - was 18th May

It is hoped to be able to resume activities in June! Fingers crossed.

Members are being notified by e-mail or letter but, in view of the wider interest of this programme, it seems important to post the news here as well.

Meanwhile, there are some reports online of recent conversations with guests from the ballet world which people might be interested to read: https://www.tlbc.org.uk/lists/3-reports

• Like 1

I have been notified that all Vue Cinemas are closed from today and that refunds will automatically be issued in the scheduled month. Tragic! I had booked ahead for a host of ballet, opera and theatre relays including many from the commercial theatres that I had already seen in situ and looked forward to seeing again. Perhaps the theatres will now start issuing discs in the hope of finding al alternative source on income?