Cancellations in the UK caused by coronavirus

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Not UK, but Boston and Houston Ballets have now cancelled the remainder of their 19/20 seasons and ABT has moved its 80th Anniversary Spring Gala to October.  I wonder if the ROH (Royal Opera House) is intending to cancel any more performances after 19th April.  Has there been a notification that I may just have missed?  My lockdown project I fear has been taking up a lot of time.  

As far as I know there's been no further announcement from the ROH, but I assume one must be imminent.

Yes, an announcement is due from the ROH sometime this week.  I think people should remember that, unlike most of the other "big" ballet companies, the ROH is a much larger organisation (having an opera company, ballet company and an orchestra, together with everything that goes with that), with quite a number of matters that need to be dealt with before telling the public about things and so they are likely to take a bit longer than others to make announcements like this.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Yes, an announcement is due from the ROH sometime this week.  I think people should remember that, unlike most of the other "big" ballet companies, the ROH is a much larger organisation (having an opera company, ballet company and an orchestra, together with everything that goes with that), with quite a number of matters that need to be dealt with before telling the public about things and so they are likely to take a bit longer than others to make announcements like this.

Birmingham Royal Ballet is also a bit late with announcements.  I suppose they are hoping that restrictions may be lifted by mid-June but then how long will the company take to be stage ready.  Personally, I can't see BRB performing again till the Autumn season.  

Northern Ballet's cancellations have been creeping up - there are only 2 dates not yet cancelled and I can't see them happening either for the same reasons as BRB.

Perhaps we should just completely write off 2020 and start again in 2021 - shifting everything one year to the right!  

• Like 1

I've just had an E-Mail from SW inviting me to re-book for Creature in November using a gift voucher from the cancelled one, which was the same price, so have done, there are very few performances. I've got a ticket for 10th June for BRB too.

Have only received 1 E-mail refund from the ROH out of 5, but suppose it's time to think of cancelling all remaining tickets up to the end of June.

On 23/03/2020 at 11:57, capybara said:

An unacceptable silence from Curzon, unlike every other place at home and abroad from whom I have purchased tickets.

I've now been told that the number to ring for a refund is: 03333210104

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alison said:

You have to ring for a refund?  In this day and age?  (And while many organisations are asking us not to ring, but to email, because their phone systems aren't actually accessible?)

Yes - they don't keep any card details, apparently. It's beyond astonishing and, no doubt, everyone who does ring, will be kept hanging on for ever.

I have just visited the ROH website and it is clear that all remaining opera and ballet performances due between now and the end of the season have been cancelled. The one exception seems to be the RBS main stage performance and that may simply be an oversight on someone's part. I don't expect any early information about next season's opera or ballet programmes.  At this point the ballet company is at a considerable advantage as the management knows who will be in the company next season and their versatility, the availability of those who also perform abroad and how much flexibility in programming it will therefore have.The opera company on the other hand will have to work around the singers it already has signed up for the operas it had intended to stage next season and their " fach" or precise vocal type. It seems to me that we shall have an opera season made up of those works which are in virtually every singers' repertory.I expect that both companies will settle for crowd pleasers which sell themselves rather than challenging or obscure ones which need to be plugged or require ticket discounts or the house to be papered.

Edited by FLOSS

15 minutes ago, FLOSS said:

I have just visited the ROH website and it is clear that all remaining opera and ballet performances due between now and the end of the season have been cancelled.

This is not correct. Tosca, Butterfly and Don Carlo have not been cancelled (whether they are in the future is a different matter).  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FLOSS said:

The opera company on the other hand will have to work around the singers it already has signed up for the operas it had intended to stage next season and their " fach" or precise vocal type.

The main singers are signed up up to five years in advance and the rest of the casting is generally done at least a full season ahead, so I don’t get your point here.  

My thoughts exactly.  I doubt singers would generally be available for a sudden change in schedule, unlike dancers, who can more or less dance whatever they're given to dance, I should think (conductor availability might be a different matter).  Although, from the Royal Opera point of view, given sales this season they clearly can't rely too heavily on La Traviata and La Bohème to fill the coffers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, onemouseplace said:

I've just had an email to confirm that the remainder of the season at the ROH is now cancelled (I had tickets to Tosca).  

Mine also mentioned that all donations through the end of June are being matched one for one by an anonymous benefactor. 

Guest oncnp
13 minutes ago, alison said:

Wow.  I hope he or she has large pockets ...  And that other, less high-profile, companies don't miss out.

Not mentioned on the website (yet) - one would think they'd be shouting that from the housetops. 

On 27/04/2020 at 19:28, oncnp said:

Mine also mentioned that all donations through the end of June are being matched one for one by an anonymous benefactor. 

I hadn’t got round to doing anything with my tickets, in part because I was waiting to see what was going to happen to June/July performances and also I’d been rather put off doing anything because of the difficulties reported earlier. But today I went on line, simply included all my booking references, often for multiple tickets and when only some of which were cancelled, wasn’t asked to specify the dates/ticket numbers, and found I’d submitted my donation/refund request in a few minutes. 

I have to say it’s incredibly generous that someone is matching the donation. With gift aid as well as the matching donation, hopefully the ROH will find its ticket income holding up.

• Like 1

I noticed on the BRB website that the cancelled Swan Lake performances in Plymouth have now been moved to the Autumn tour, replacing Romeo and Juliet.  As the Autumn tour only comprises Birmingham, Sadler's Wells and Plymouth I wonder if there will be further changes.

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I noticed on the BRB website that the cancelled Swan Lake performances in Plymouth have now been moved to the Autumn tour, replacing Romeo and Juliet.  As the Autumn tour only comprises Birmingham, Sadler's Wells and Plymouth I wonder if there will be further changes.

Good spot!

The Chichester Theatre Festival which had hoped to carry on with its late productions which run into the Autumn has now cancelled the entire programme - promising to schedule its major 2020 presentations in their 2021 season outline. 

13 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

Does anyone know if Don Q is going ahead at Birmingham?  I'd be very grateful if anyone had any intel as their website shows that it is still happening and I've not had a response yet to my enquiry.  

I live in hopes but I very much doubt it.  I think companies are being cautious about announcing cancellations until government advice gives an indication that theatres should remain closed for longer.  I think it could affect any insurance claims they may be able to make if they cancel voluntarily.

We only got notified yesterday that Northern Ballet's Cinderella, which was due on at The Lowry during the first week in June, has been cancelled.

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I live in hopes but I very much doubt it.  I think companies are being cautious about announcing cancellations until government advice gives an indication that theatres should remain closed for longer.  I think it could affect any insurance claims they may be able to make if they cancel voluntarily.

I think that was why so many theatres stayed open in March, wasn't it?

• Like 1