Cancellations in the UK caused by coronavirus

4 hours ago, Tango Dancer said:

Does anyone know if Don Q is going ahead at Birmingham?  I'd be very grateful if anyone had any intel as their website shows that it is still happening and I've not had a response yet to my enquiry.  

I cancelled my group booking just last week and I got a cheery email back from the Hippodrome saying "so sorry you can't join us!"

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that anyone is in a position to say when the theatres and other places of public entertainment will be able to reopen. We are still in lock down in the UK and although the Prime Minister seems to be contemplating some sort of easing of restrictions which will be announced on Sunday I don't think that it will be anything major and that everything will be taken very gradually to prevent a flare up.The number of people dying in hospital seems to be going down but there are still major problems as far as care homes are concerned. I can't see anyone except a complete idiot ignoring the fact that they are corona virus hot spots or the possibility that they could end up being a source of further infection within the wider community.

I would not put my money on autumn performances. I saw a headline which said that Cameron Mackintosh did not expect theatres to reopen until the New Year and that seems quite likely to me as most theatres of any significance draw their audiences from across a wide area and because of their design and function provide the very best conditions for a virus to spread. The experts still don't know what proportion of the population has been exposed to the virus, how much immunity anyone who has had it actually has or how long immunity might last. As no one will want their theatre identified as an infection  hot spot I think that everyone will err on the side of caution even after they are told that places of entertainment may re-open.

• Like 3

I see Glyndebourne has now cancelled their summer festival and launched an emergency fundraising appeal ... also that the Nuffield Theatre in Southampton (one with core ACE support) has gone into administration.

Here are two key sentences from a Stage article:-

It came the day after Arts Council England warned it did not “have the resources to secure the income of individuals or the future of shuttered organisations through an extended lockdown, nor the ability to support the costs of reopening under changed circumstances”.

The crisis in Southampton demonstrates that ACE is not being over dramatic, and that even if theatres were able to reopen next week (which they will not) the industry is going to need long-term government support.

Edited by Bruce Wall

Regent's Park Open Air Theatre has announced today that it is postponing its entire 2020 season to 2021.   Some had suggested that the open air venue might be easier to adapt to Covid 19 re-opening strictures.  It seems the Trustees - after I'm sure careful examination - have thought otherwise.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

On 06/05/2020 at 14:31, Tango Dancer said:

Does anyone know if Don Q is going ahead at Birmingham?  I'd be very grateful if anyone had any intel as their website shows that it is still happening and I've not had a response yet to my enquiry.  

The performances of the triple bill at Sadler’s Wells and Don Quixote have all been cancelled. If you go to the What’s On section of their website it says cancelled against those performances but they haven’t put the information on their Covid 19 update page, which is where I would expect to find it. I haven’t received any communication from the company or the Hippodrome or Sadler’s Wells about the cancellations. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pulcinella said:

The performances of the triple bill at Sadler’s Wells and Don Quixote have all been cancelled. If you go to the What’s On section of their website it says cancelled against those performances but they haven’t put the information on their Covid 19 update page, which is where I would expect to find it. I haven’t received any communication from the company or the Hippodrome or Sadler’s Wells about the cancellations. 

It's sad but not unexpected.  I've not heard about the cancellation from SW but when NB was cancelled I didn't hear officially until nearly 2 weeks after the performances should have happened.  The SW cancellation experience was very good.  I've not heard anything from the Hippodrome.

I've just had emails from the Hippodrome for each ticket I've got booked.  Credit notes valid for 2 years have been applied to my account.  If I want a refund, I've got to specifically contact them.  I'm sticking with credit notes at the moment.

• Like 1

I've also had an email from the Hippodrome this morning with a voucher for Don Q and the company class I booked for.  I rang them and they were really nice on the phone and have arranged a full refund to my card.  

I really hope they will rearrange it some point as I was looking forward to a nice weekend in Birmingham. 

Worrying article in today's Observer:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/may/23/key-cultural-intstitutions-warn-facing-financial-collapse

Edited to add that I've now put the above link in the 'practicalities of reopening' thread.   Not sure which is the correct thread for it.  Mods please delete whichever post is now redundant.

Edited by Bluebird

Cameron Macintosh has just announced that the UK and Ireland national tour of ALW's The Phantom of the Opera - which had only just launched at it's initial port (the Curve, Leicester) at the time of the lock down before a 14 month tour - will not now relight.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Birmingham Hippodrome has now announced that it is closed until 2nd November.

The effect of this for us ballet fans is that BRB's autumn mixed programme and Romeo and Juliet have now been lost.

I know it's better safe than sorry but I'm feeling a bit sad today:

https://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/extended-closure-of-birmingham-hippodrome/

• Like 1

The upcoming revival of Singin' in the Rain featuring Adam Cooper has announced new dates for its run at Sadler's Wells.

Directed by Jonathan Church, choreographed by Andrew Wright, designed by Simon Higlett and lit by Tim Mitchell, it will play at the same venue from 30 July to 5 September 2021.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

The RSC has cancelled or postponed ALL 2020 productions until 'at least the end of the year'.   That's what the title says ... The article seems less certain should changes in social distancing be forthcoming for the Swan Theatre.  Certainly it seems the main stage winter season has been moved to 2021.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-52886610

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 3 weeks later...

The Birmingham Rep has cancelled/postponed shows in its Autumn/Winter schedule ...

https://www.whatsonstage.com/birmingham-theatre/news/something-rotten-musical-uk-premiere-postponed_51798.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=19june2020

Also that the Mayflower Theatre in Southampton is shuttering through to December - and closing its restaurant on a more permanent basis ... This is all most sad given the already announced fact that the Nuffield in the same city has gone into administration ... Difficult times for all certainly ... 

https://www.whatsonstage.com/southampton-theatre/news/mayflower-closed-christmas-pantomime_51796.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=19june2020

Edited by Bruce Wall

32 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh no :(  Do the powers that be know what a positive force for tourism they were in the capital?  I've lost count of the number of "arts tourists" I've chatted to while in the queue.

I have a new moto, Alison.  I found it today viv a vis the UK arts sector:  'Hurt badly; heal stronger!'   I silently mutter this to myself ... as I find it is a way - in spite of all - of looking up.  Hope - as usual - is key.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

8 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

I really don't think this is going to be much help at all, especially as there seems to be no sign of any financial help.

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/theatre/oliver-dowden-culture-roadmap-plan-a4480341.html

Well at least it shows a commitment to getting to step 5. And steps 1 and 2 have already started. So it gives me a bit of hope.

No doubt the financial package will be announced as soon as it's been agreed. Let's hope that is very soon, and that it's as generous as possible in the circumstances.

• Like 4

I must admit, I'm starting to feel a borderline-abusive edited version of my email to my MP coming on, to be sent to the Prime Minister and Chancellor.  Along the lines of "are you seriously wanting to go down in history as the PM/C responsible for destroying wholesale this country's performing arts heritage, because that's the way it's starting to look?"  Must control myself :(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Northern Ballet has postponed Merlin (the world premiere was due to be in Bradford in October and then touring the UK) until September 2021.

The Company is hoping, within government guidelines, to put on a production for Christmas at the Grand Theatre in Leeds in December.

https://northernballet.com/merlin/merlin-postponement

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Northern Ballet has postponed Merlin (the world premiere was due to be in Bradford in October and then touring the UK) until September 2021.

The Company is hoping, within government guidelines, to put on a production for Christmas at the Grand Theatre in Leeds in December.

https://northernballet.com/merlin/merlin-postponement

Government guidelines! Okay in the morning, not okay in the afternoon on present form

• Like 1

And the official press release from Northern Ballet:

A close up of a logo  Description automatically generated

Monday 20 July 2020

For immediate release

Northern Ballet postpones Merlin world première 

Northern Ballet has announced that the 2020 world première of Merlin has been postponed due to the ongoing implications of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Intended to be the second full-length world première of its 50th anniversary year, Merlin is Drew McOnie’s choreographic debut for Northern Ballet. However, due to ongoing regulations on social distancing, the Company have not been able to commence rehearsals or work on the creation of sets and costumes, leaving insufficient time to have the production ready for the original première date. The première is now scheduled to take place in September 2021 followed by a national tour. 

David Nixon OBE, Artistic Director of Northern Ballet, said: “It is with a heavy heart that we have taken the decision to postpone the world première of Merlin. Unfortunately the COVID-19 restrictions have left us without an appropriate length of time in which to create the production in time to open in October 2020, and it is unclear when our Company will be able to start rehearsing again due to social distancing restrictions. The current situation still poses uncertainty for all arts organisations, but we are grateful that our staff remain healthy and that we are in a position to still be able to look ahead and plan to hold the première next year.”

Northern Ballet has also announced that it will now also not be able to present a new children’s ballet in Leeds in October as originally planned. The Company anticipates further changes or cancellations to the remainder of its autumn tour and asks audiences to see northernballet.com for updates.

Audiences with tickets to effected performances will be contacted by the venue with their options in due course.

In the first part of 2020, Northern Ballet was only able to give one performance before lockdown was initiated. As a registered charity, the Company continues to make use of all sources of funding currently available including the Government’s Job Retention Scheme which has been invaluable in offsetting some of the losses. The Company remainscommitted to ensuring that none of its staff and freelancers are financially disadvantaged by the current situation. The Company has launched its ‘Bring Back the Magic appeal to try to ensure that financial constraints do not prevent the Company from completing the creation of Merlin for its revised première date in 2021. Donations of any size are gratefully received and can be made online at northernballet.com/magic. For further information on other ways that you can support the Company through this challenging time, please contact the Northern Ballet Development team by emailing development@northernballet.com

Mark Skipper DL, Chief Executive of Northern Ballet, said: “Alongside the entire UK arts industry, Northern Ballet still faces uncertainty as a result of the effects of COVID-19. 

Financially, the loss of £1M in box office income from the spring tour has been a challenge but the Government’s recent announcement of significant investment in the arts sector is hugely welcome and vital to the survival of many national venues and organisations, and we look forward to hearing further details soon. We remain committed to our staff, freelancers and audiences and will persevere to return to the stage as soon as safely possible. 

Whilst current social distancing measures remain in place, it is not possible for us to rehearse and prepare for performances. In addition, there are concerns over the financial viability of performing at theatres where audience numbers may be dramatically reduced in order to adhere to social distancing. However, we continue to monitor the situation and be part of the conversation about how theatre can return safely and thrive in this new reality.

The postponements we have announced today are necessary and have been made following lengthy discussions with our theatre partners. We continue to liaise with the venues and are working hard to try and put a plan in place to return to the stage in some form before the end of the year. We will endeavour to keep audiences up to date via our website.”

-ENDS-

Northern Ballet

Northern Ballet is celebrating its 50th anniversary year in 2020.

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading ballet companies and the widest touring ballet company in the UK. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and world-class storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing world-class story ballets to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director David Nixon OBE. Northern Ballet performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at more than 40 venues annually.

For more details of Northern Ballet's tour, on sale dates and booking information, please visit northernballet.com/whatson

A screenshot of a cell phone  Description automatically generated

• 2 weeks later...

Sadler's Wells Media Update 

We are sorry to let you know that due to the continuing impact of the coronavirus pandemic, we have sadly taken the decision to cancel further performances at our theatres across the Autumn until 10 November 2020. This is an extension of our cancellations, which were previously scheduled to run until 1 September. 

Despite recent UK Government and Arts Council England announcements on rescue packages for arts organisations including Sadler’s Wells, and the initial reopening of public spaces, we are not yet able to welcome audiences to our theatres, as our programme for this autumn was not created with social distancing restrictions in place. We and the artists and companies we work with, are reimagining how we can serve audiences in ways allowed by evolving social distancing requirements, and will be in touch with more information as soon as possible.

Performances cancelled today include:   

• Machine de Cirque, The Peacock, 8 - 26 September 2020  
  • 2020 International Opera Awards, Sadler's Wells, 21 September 2020   
  • Akram Khan Company - Outwitting the Devil, Sadler's Wells, 28 - 30 September 2020  
  • Tango After Dark, The Peacock, 29 September - 17 October 2020  
  • Akram Khan Company – XENOS, Sadler's Wells, 3 - 5 October 2020  
  • Akram Khan Company - Until the Lions, Sadler's Wells, 9 - 11 October 2020  
  • Akram Khan Company - We are but Shadows, Sadler's Wells, 13 October 2020   
  • Wild Card: Christopher Matthews / Formed View Lilian Baylis Studio, 21 October 2020  
  • Flamenka, The Peacock, 29 October - 7 November 2020   
  • Pagrav Dance Company, Lilian Baylis Studio, 5 & 6 November 2020  

You can read more about today's cancellations on our website - Coronavirus Closure - Sadler’s Wells Update