Cancellations in the UK caused by coronavirus

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Sorry to hear that, Bluebird.  Sorry for you and in mourning for the Arts.

Just took a look at ROH website.  Tickets still on sale for all peformances other than tonight.  Any thoughts, anyone?

The website has not caught up with the decisions made by the ROH management/Governors.

• Like 1

the government have 'hinted' that people shouldn't go to theatres (and pubs etc), without actually saying they should shut, sorta abdicating the responisilty and leaving it up to the venues. I can't see how the venues can ignore that hint though, and stay open. So even if we wanted to chance it, I don't think we'll be given the opportunity.

So, boxed sets and books it is!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

many of us in the UK prefer to chart our own course rather than follow diktats

I would hardly call WHO advice a 'diktat'. This is a global pandemic and the idea of 'charting one own's course' is not very helpful.

52 minutes ago, capybara said:

The daily statement from the Prime Minister has just made it clear that people should not be going to theatres.

I wonder why they are not enforcing closure. Seems like a mixed message. Surely enforcing closure would help venues and performers with insurance payouts and the like?

Edited by Gargouillade
  • Like 9

I guess that's it, then.

I was wondering a couple of weeks ago whether it would be possible to record the scheduled broadcast of Swan Lake in an empty theatre, for future release, but I suspect not even that.

Just now, alison said:

I guess that's it, then.

I was wondering a couple of weeks ago whether it would be possible to record the scheduled broadcast of Swan Lake in an empty theatre, for future release, but I suspect not even that.

probably not, as they will be closing cinemas too, I assume

From the ROH Twitter feed:

"In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have taken the decision with a heavy heart to close the building to the public and cancel all performances at the Royal Opera House with immediate effect We will be in contact with all ticket buyers in due course"

• Like 1

By Alex Beard (Chief Executive)
Monday 16 March 2020, 6.12pm

The safety and security of the Royal Opera House staff, audiences and artists is of paramount importance and we take this responsibility very seriously. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have taken the decision with a heavy heart to close the building to the public and cancel all performances in Covent Garden with immediate effect.

The staff and artists of the ROH are vital to the lifeblood of our art forms, without them we would simply not exist. This suspension of performances will impact not only our loyal audience but also our committed and talented workforce. We will work within the government guidelines to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our staff and artists during this difficult time.

Our employees, permanent and casual, are reliant on the income which we derive through ticket purchases. Without performances it is inevitable that we will become more reliant on philanthropic support and charitable donations.

We will be in contact with all ticket buyers in due course. Where possible, we ask that you consider donating the value of your tickets to the Royal Opera House Covent Garden Foundation rather than requesting a credit note or refund.

You can keep up to date via the ROH social media channels for announcements on a programme of free broadcasts we will bring you during this period of closure.

We thank you for your continued support of the ROH, it is invaluable during these uncertain times.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Given the developing situation with the COVID-19 virus, the Royal Opera House is currently closed

(home page of ROH site now)

just came through on their Facebook page too:

"In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have taken the decision with a heavy heart to close the building to the public and cancel all performances at the Royal Opera House with immediate effect

We will be in contact with all ticket buyers in due course"

Just now, Sim said:

It had to happen.  He didn’t say for how long.   I guess they will have to see how it goes.  

Yes, that's a point, no-one has said for how long these closures will have to be for. Weeks? Months? (and sadly, in some cases probably forever 😞  )

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Yes, that's a point, no-one has said for how long these closures will have to be for. Weeks? Months? (and sadly, in some cases probably forever 😞  )

During today's official press conference, I think it was Chris Whitty who said this is not "two weeks and we're done" but significantly longer (the BBC probably has the exact quote). 

Some bodies have made date announcements, others (like the government or the ROH just now) are leaving things open. The experts are clearly monitoring events as they develop and it is far too soon to set an exact timetable. So when we see announcements saying such-and-such is closed "until April 10th" we should prepare for the possibility that the date will be extended. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I'm guessing it'll be 'four week'...then after three weeks it will be two more weeks, then a week later etc etc

7 minutes ago, Geoff said:

During today's official press conference, I think it was Chris Whitty who said this is not "two weeks and we're done" but significantly longer (the BBC probably has the exact quote). 

Some bodies have made date announcements, others (like the government or the ROH just now) are leaving things open. The experts are clearly monitoring events as they develop and it is far too soon to set an exact timetable. So when we see announcements saying such-and-such is closed "until April 10th" we should prepare for the possibility that the date will be extended. 

From the live report on the Guardian website:

Q: When will we know this is going to be over?

Whitty says this will run for some time. "This is not two weeks and we’re done. This is a significant period of time."

Please look to the countries that were at this point before you: EVERYTHING is going to close, except for supermarkets, pharmacies and banks. Everyone will go into isolation at home.

Let's hope the internet won't break down...

Good luck to you!!!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, alison said:

I guess that's it, then.

Dancers and staff have the right to protect their health too.

Naples Teatro di San Carlo launched #stageathome and will stream some archive performances

https://www.teatrosancarlo.it/it/pages/stage-at-home.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alison said:

I guess that's it, then.

As the Takada/Bonelli performance was filmed for Japanese telly perhaps they'll just use that for something in the future

• Like 9

The Moulin Rouge in Paris closed on 13 March. Says they will stay shut until 15 April. A few hours after the Moulin announcement, the Lido did the same. ( For those of you who don't know, the Moulin Rouge and Lido are both owned by different branches of the same family; the Clericos from Italy).

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

4 minutes ago, Rob S said:

As the Takada/Bonelli performance was filmed for Japanese telly perhaps they'll just use that for something in the future

I do hope so; that thought crossed my mind the other day. I thought their performance was wonderful. 

• Like 5

As others have mentioned, it's not just ROH who will take a financial hit here. It might be worth considering alternative beneficiaries for your refunded money, such as the smaller companies.

We should probably also wait a few days for further announcements about Government help before assuming the hit will be solely borne by the theatres and companies. There's an awful lot going on right now and I don't think it's reasonable to expect it all to be worked out from the off. And I doubt they'll get that much sympathy here, but we should also be wary of sending the insurance companies - already taking big hits from the floods and cancelled travel - into bankruptcy by pushing all liability onto them.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Rob S said:

That's what I was thinking. But I wonder if they are releasing past broadcasts that we've probably already seen (hence free?). Either way, unfortunate for the company and dancers who wanted to dance SL so badly. 

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 1

Statement from Sadler's Wells:

c2FkbGVycy5qcGc=

MONDAY 16 APRIL 
PRESS STATEMENT - CORONAVIRUS UPDATE

Sadler’s Wells announces the cancellation of all performances with immediate effect in support of efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus (Covid-19) 

Performances at its three theatres – Sadler's Wells theatre, Lilian Bayliss Studio and Peacock Theatre – are cancelled for up to 12 weeks 

Sadler’s Wells is very sorry to announce the cancellation of all performances, effective from today. This is in support of efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus (Covid-19).  

The thoughts and sympathy of all at Sadler’s Wells are with those impacted by the current coronavirus pandemic. Sadler’s Wells is closely monitoring the situation and following government, NHS and Public Health England guidance. Given their updated advice this afternoon, performances at all three of Sadler’s Wells’ theatre spaces – Sadler's Wells Theatre, Lilian Baylis Studio and Peacock Theatre – are now cancelled for a period of up to 12 weeks.  

Based on this calculation, Sadler's Wells hope to be able to resume presenting performances on 9 June. However, this may change depending on developments and as further guidance from the government becomes available. 

Ticket holders for cancelled performances will be contacted directly by Sadler’s Wells’ Ticket Office team. There are a number of options as to how ticket holders accounts can be credited, or refunds given.  

Ticket holders can do any of the following: can do any of the following: 

1. Turn their ticket price into a gift to Sadler’s Wells, in support of the organisation as it navigates this uncertain time. Sadler’s  Wells is a charity and up to 75% of its income each year is generated through ticket sales. Donations will help in continuing to commission artists, produce new work and deliver artistic and learning programmes in future.  
  3. Donate part of their credit to Sadler’s Wells; any remaining amount can be put towards tickets for a future performance at any venue or can be claimed as a partial refund.their credit to Sadler’s Wells; any remaining amount can be put towards tickets for a future performance at any venue or can be claimed as a partial refund. 

4. Use their credit to purchase tickets for a future performance at any of our venues. 
  6. Claim a full refund using their original method of payment. 

Ticket holders will be contacted in order of date of performance. Sadler’s Well’s Ticket Office is receiving a high volume of phone calls and emails and will respond to customers as quickly as possible.  

The team at Sadler’s Wells thanks all customers for their understanding and support in these difficult circumstances, and is especially grateful for any donations made at this time. Sadler’s Wells will continue to monitor developments around the Coronavirus outbreak and will let audiences know in due course, when performances will resume. 

Alistair Spalding, Artistic Director and Chief Executive of Sadler's Wells, said: "This is an unprecedented and uncertain time. The coronavirus pandemic is increasingly affecting people’s lives, health and livelihoods. While we know cancelling performances for a substantial period of time will have a significant financial impact for us, our priority is to ensure our staff, artists and audiences are keeping safe. We will work together to support each other and face the difficult period ahead.” 

• Like 1