Royal Ballet - Coppelia (Dec. 2019 - Jan. 2020)

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

I can’t add much to previous superlative comments made, other than that I thought Annette Buvoli danced Prayer with a lovely intensity and serenity (beautiful feet too) - I found her really moving and I hope we see more of her in solo roles from now.

Also a Buvoli fan, on the basis of her Winifred Norbury alone. Hope to see her as Prayer and hope more roles come her way. 

I’ve only seen Nunez’s Swanilda so far.  Anna Rose O’Sullian and Yasmine Naghdi to come, but I felt Marianela was too careful.  This role needs a fresh abandonment IMO.   Will be very interesting to see how the younger ballerinas fare.  The technical aspects are quite demanding, on top of the acting at which Marianela did a pretty good job.  

Vadim Muntagirov was charming and comedic and danced beautifully.  Couldn’t fault him.  The lighting could be better so that we could actually see his solo when wearing black tights.   😬 how many times do we need to say this.

I usually love Gary Avis’ characters.  I didn’t quite believe his Dr Coppelius.   Maybe it will mature with more performances. 

• Like 2

Quote from JaneS: Muntagirov's Solo. Wow, and then some.......

Precisely. Vadim exudes an amazing 'stage energy' while, at the same time, appearing effortless. In this instance (and in Don Q earlier in the year), this seemed to induce a very special atmosphere in the audience, followed by a huge roar.

• Like 5

Wow indeed!!!! I can see myself having this permanently on my phone to enjoy it whenever I feel the need (fairly frequently I imagine!) It's not just an amazing talent; he just exudes 'niceness' and happiness and the joy of dance. We have had fracking going on near us until recently. Now that's failed perhaps you could just attach Vadim's smile to the National grid. I'm sure it can power the entire North-West of England if not all of it. Bring on the dvd, please!!!!!

• Like 6

I also love the fact that as well as being technically brilliant,  whatever he's in, whether it's rehearsals or performances, he looks so happy and as though he's having the time of his life and that he's found himself in the place that's right for him.  He also seems like a thoroughly nice person when he's interviewed. 

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Tango Dancer said:

I also love the fact that as well as being technically brilliant,  whatever he's in, whether it's rehearsals or performances, he looks so happy and as though he's having the time of his life and that he's found himself in the place that's right for him.  He also seems like a thoroughly nice person when he's interviewed. 

Let's hope he has found the right place for him. It certainly seems that way. We've been so privileged he chose the RB when he could have probably had his pick of any company in the world including all the Russian ones. However he seems to have found the right mix of varied rep, the chance of having new work created on him and the opportunity to guest internationally when possible. No wonder he's smiling! I've met him a few times at the stage door and he is always smiling, modest, charming, unassuming and willing to chat if he isn't rushing off. Just a great dancer and a really nice person.

• Like 10

Vadim Muntagirov is the guest of The London Ballet Circle on the 20th January at 7.30pm at The Civil Service Club, Great Scotland Yard, London SW1A 2HJ.

Members £5; non Members £8 - payment on the door on the night. Nearest stations are Embankment and Charing Cross.

• Like 6

Ok today is my Coppélia day! Not sure why I’m seeing a ballet that has never been amongst one of my favourites twice in one day... I rarely get a chance to see the RB live these days so when I get a chance I tend to gorge myself - Laura Morera this afternoon and Yasmine Naghdi this evening, what a treat!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jam Dancer said:

Ok today is my Coppélia day! Not sure why I’m seeing a ballet that has never been amongst one of my favourites twice in one day... I rarely get a chance to see the RB live these days so when I get a chance I tend to gorge myself - Laura Morera this afternoon and Yasmine Naghdi this evening, what a treat!

I've booked to see it 4 times in 8 days after Christmas, including twice in one day, and when I booked I'd never seen it before so didn't know if I'd like it or not! There were just so many tempting casts! Fortunately when I saw the livestream last week I did like it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jam Dancer said:

Me too....and a great start with wonderful performances from Alex and Laura!  

• Like 4

Spoiled myself for Christmas with four shows because I wanted to see the debuts (Hayward, Naghdi, O'Sullivan, Magri — and yes, the gentlemen also ). Following these dancers on Instagram is a peek at how important these milestones are to them. So it is an extra buzz to be in the audience 💐

• Like 3

I had been looking forward to tonight too, especially after not been able to make Friday's triple bill, but got no further than Brighton Station, more floods locally! Think it has been sold online already, and by way of condolence I received a Naghdi/Ball Swan Lake ticket today I had booked in the post, I know they will be fantastic tonight.  Have also got Magri, Takada and O'Sullivan to come, and strangely enough I don't count Coppelia as one of my favourites either, just nice to see these exciting dancers in something different.

Edited by Beryl H
  • Like 1

Well, part one this afternoon (Laura Morera and Alex Campbell) was a terrific start to the long day  - and jolly good they were too! Couple of minor staging hiccups: Doc Coppelias ‘forgot’ to lose his key that Swanilda’s friend then ‘found’; and at the end of act 2, there was no  clotheless Coppelia doll, just an empty chair. Not that it spoiled the show in any way - just fed my inner (and outer?) geek! 🙂

• Like 5

Oh dear Beryl H ...did you have a ticket or were you going on the off chance? So sorry if you've had to waste your ticket and miss something you were looking forward to. But at least you have other chances! 

Travel from Brighton whether by road or rail has been dire for the past few days because of the flooding .....as well as the signal failure of course. I feel really sorry for people trying to get to Gatwick. 

Im seeing the Saturday matinee Magri/ Corrales performance and am toying with the idea of going up the night before as it's the only one I'm going to. Will see how things are nearer the time both on mainline and TFL sometimes tubes are up the creek around Christmas time.

Lovely performance this afternoon from Laura Morera and Alexander Campbell. Grateful to have the chance to see Laura again as it’s been a while. I always enjoy her in comedic roles (her Queen of Hearts in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is hilarious) and her comedic timing helped to hold the second act together for me - such an expressive face.

I don’t recall enjoying this ballet this much. The last time I saw it the RB do it, I saw Miyako Yoshida as Swanilda and I think I either skipped the next run or was exiled abroad for work (as I am now).

I was even excited about the student dancers! Usually I don’t take little notice of them but I couldn’t help but notice Them today - promising group!

I’m now very much looking forward to the evening performance but I think I’ve had too much to eat and I’m now in danger of nodding off during the performance. 😊

Perhaps some coffee and a slice of ROH’s  exuberantly-priced cake will help with that!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I've booked to see it 4 times in 8 days after Christmas, including twice in one day, and when I booked I'd never seen it before so didn't know if I'd like it or not! There were just so many tempting casts! Fortunately when I saw the livestream last week I did like it.

Gosh - wish I could do that! 
No longer living in London and staying outside the city this Christmas has just reminded just how expensive U.K. train fares are!

I treated myself to Balcony tickets and if I factor in return tickets to the nearest a station (from which I still need the other half to be generous and come fetch me) that would be over £100 per performance. (Eek!)

LinMM, I had a ticket but I think I have been able to sell it online (the ROH do this marvellous E-mail resell now until 5.30pm on the day so I dashed home and was able to resell it, all other tickets at the same price have to be sold out), and I even managed to get a refund on the rail ticket (hopefully anyway, never done that before), I've just looked and the trains seem to be starting up again but I wouldn't have made it by 7pm, the flooding today was at the Patcham tunnel. My next trip is Monday 30th matinee, that's Magri/Corrales too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jam Dancer said:

Lovely performance this afternoon from Laura Morera and Alexander Campbell. Grateful to have the chance to see Laura again as it’s been a while. I always enjoy her in comedic roles (her Queen of Hearts in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is hilarious) and her comedic timing helped to hold the second act together for me - such an expressive face.

I don’t recall enjoying this ballet this much. The last time I saw it the RB do it, I saw Miyako Yoshida as Swanilda and I think I either skipped the next run or was exiled abroad for work (as I am now).

I was even excited about the student dancers! Usually I don’t take little notice of them but I couldn’t help but notice Them today - promising group!

I’m now very much looking forward to the evening performance but I think I’ve had too much to eat and I’m now in danger of nodding off during the performance. 😊

Perhaps some coffee and a slice of ROH’s  exuberantly-priced cake will help with that!

Thanks for that, Jam Dancer.  I can only see one cast, so I chose Morera precisely because she is so good at comedy.   Not sure how cake will help with the overstuffed feeling, although the rum carrot cake is exceedingly good....🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jam Dancer said:

Gosh - wish I could do that! 
No longer living in London and staying outside the city this Christmas has just reminded just how expensive U.K. train fares are!

I treated myself to Balcony tickets and if I factor in return tickets to the nearest a station (from which I still need the other half to be generous and come fetch me) that would be over £100 per performance. (Eek!)

I don't live in London either, I just spend a lot of time & money on trains! Though I am fortunate to live near enough to be able to day trip, as if I had to pay for hotels I certainly wouldn't be able to go down to London an average of once a week for theatregoing purposes.