Royal Ballet - Coppelia (Dec. 2019 - Jan. 2020)

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night’s performance was fun, as it should be.  Nunez at 38 was completely convincing as a young peasant girl – charmingly naughty and flawlessly nimble-footed, just beautiful to watch, as she always is.  What a combination of technique, comic acting ability and winsome cuteness she has!  I dread the day when she retires – which cannot be far off, alas.

Muntagirov had little to do except partner beautifully (which he did), until the third act when he was unleashed like a purebred Arab racehorse let loose from the traps, dancing with absolute brilliance and leaving us hungry for more.  I have never seen him perform better.

I noticed Magri make the best of her small part with her wonderful stage presence, and was struck by Buvoli’s solo work which was excellent. Lukas BB was completely underused in a non-dancing part (please excuse shorthand but I’m in a hurry).

The actual production I don’t like as much as the last one I saw (Paris OB) and the orchestra weren’t at their best, with some unbalance in the wind section and an occasional screechy violin that seemed a half-tone out of tune.  But the main dancers were wonderful and well worth the hearty applause they received.  I will upload some pics later if I have time.

Edited by maryrosesatonapin
Mis-spelled Lukas with a c
  • Like 9

BTW, I saw the rehearsal earlier this week which featured 2 casts;  Hayward/Campbell and O'Sullivan/ Sambe.    Frankie and Alex have already demonstrated their brilliance but I would also highly recommend Anna-Rose and Marcelino - they are going to be stunning too. Forgot it was a rehearsal when I saw them - really impressive.  I will make no further comment as I know we are not supposed to on rehearsals - OK, I will - Gary Avis brilliant too - as he has also since demonstrated. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, alison said:

Perhaps nobody went? 😀

Maybe fewer people are choosing to see Nunez/Muntagirov live because they have the cinecast? I've booked for their performances together in other pieces this season but for Coppelia have decided to just see them at the cinema & to see other pairings live.

• Like 3

I concur with what maryrosesatonapin said. Nunez and Muntagirov were both on top form last night.

I enjoyed the ballet itself although I don’t think it’s ever going to be one of my favourites - too much miming and messing about, and not enough dancing for the Principals in Acts 1 and 2 for my taste, although Act 3 is sublime. However, it is undoubtedly pretty to look at, and fun - the comedy moments came off well with the audience laughing in all the right places.

Nunez’s sunny personality and smile suited Swanhilda perfectly and her miming was spot on. She has such an expressive face and the mischief of her character came across perfectly. And her dancing was perfectly controlled and light - beautiful. Also her interactions with Muntagirov and Avis were so warm and human that it was delightful to watch.

Unfortunately the principal male has even less to do in this ballet than others, with only one big solo in Act 3. But boy, was it worth waiting for with Muntagirov last night. Perfect technique, stunning jumps and all performed with “that” smile. Tremendous applause, and no wonder. It’s possible to think that he is wasted in this ballet - but although his dancing role was minimal, his excellent acting and the comedy played to the hilt contributed enormously to the overall success.

Gary Avis was of course a wonderful Dr Coppelius and his mime and expressions must have been clear for even those in the highest reaches of the auditorium to read.

Claire Calvert made a beautiful Aurora (and that tutu is gorgeous!). She has always been a lovely dancer, but occasionally a bit shaky technically; however, she seems to have improved tremendously in that respect recently and nailed everything last night.

I thought Annette Buvoli’s Prayer was beautifully danced, a lovely debut. It’s nice to see some dancers who haven’t normally been in the spotlight now being given solo opportunities and a chance to shine - which she certainly did.

So overall, not one of my favourites, but worth it for Act 3!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Maybe fewer people are choosing to see Nunez/Muntagirov live because they have the cinecast? I've booked for their performances together in other pieces this season but for Coppelia have decided to just see them at the cinema & to see other pairings live.

Good point, Dawnstar!

• Like 1

Having swapped from Nunez/Muntagirov last night to Hayward/Campbell on the first night because I thought I couldn't make next Wednesday, I'm now kicking myself, because I've just spotted that Hayward has another performance in early January which I could have made :( 

12 hours ago, alison said:

Having swapped from Nunez/Muntagirov last night to Hayward/Campbell on the first night because I thought I couldn't make next Wednesday, I'm now kicking myself, because I've just spotted that Hayward has another performance in early January which I could have made :( 

Well, at least you can see them at the cinema!

On 29/11/2019 at 17:05, LinMM said:

Maize crops seem to feature strongly in American Horror films ...all sorts of nasty things hiding out in them! 

As a contrast to the horror genre, may I recommend Field of Dreams, where the corn field (maize) plays a major role. It is a baseball movie though, so may appeal mostly to my fellow Americans.

(Apologies for the digression back to agriculture but I am really grateful for the corn/wheat discussion. I was close enough to see the prop, yet doubly confused to hear it called 'corn'.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

For anyone interested in the designs, there's an article in the Spectator about Osbert Lancaster and the ballet: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/11/from-cartoons-to-stage-design-the-genius-of-osbert-lancaster/

(I don't think it's appeared in the Links - apologies if it's been posted elsewhere.)

Thanks Lizbie.  The Spectator articles don't always turn up in our searches but I'm including it in tomorrow's links thanks to you linking it here!

• Like 2

On 29/11/2019 at 17:34, Beryl H said:

The RB Benjamin/Acosta DVD is the same production, I like it very much, Leanne Benjamin took over at short notice, there is also an excellent performance of the Prayer solo, one of my favourites, by Zenaida Yanovsky. 

I don't suppose you can remember who Leanne Benjamin replaced? It was nagging at me the other day as I couldn't remember. I'm wondering if it was Miyako Yoshida?

If you don't remember the beginning of that run of Coppelia, it was ... a bit difficult: it was to be a long run, with three senior casts in the first weeks and then a gap followed by a set of debutantes as Swanilda. Yoshida and Acosta did the first night; the second cast was announced as Belinda Hatley and Ethan Stiefel but Hatley was injured and out for the whole run so Benjamin stood in for her, and two days later did her own scheduled performance with Angel Corella. Then Yoshida hurt her back and Benjamin also danced with Acosta, including at the televised performance. To  save Benjamin from having to dance every show, they brought Sarah Wildor's debut forward about 2 months and she did one performance with Stiefel (she was magical - I've never seen it done better) but she hurt her foot that night and didn't dance again till the second half of the run. Benjamin deserved a medal , or a lot of champagne at least.

Am I right in thinking, from the photos that have been posted of the cast sheets, that they don't give any casting this time for Act 3 apart from the soloists, and no listing at all of the different bits of the masque of the hours?

• Like 1

I'm afraid so, Jane :(

I hadn't realized the situation was quite so bad back in 2006, or whenever it was, but I do remember that Benjamin was a very late substitute for Yoshida - was it on the day of the performance?  (And also that the timing was moved back, I think to 7.30, to make it a live broadcast from the ROH.  I remember the amphitheatre was quite underpopulated in Act III as all the people who'd booked an early start performance so they could get home to places further afield had to leave to catch their trains)

It was a very long run in 2000. (I think that's what Jane was referring to.) Details are in the ROH performance database here. (scroll down) You can see how many performances Benjamin did. 

http://www.rohcollections.org.uk/production.aspx?production=1929&row=1

I thought I recalled seeing Sarah Wildor also paired with Kobborg, later in the run and I did. I don't think they danced together otherwise. 

I see Morera, Nunez and Galeazzi were all friends of Swanhilda at that time. 

Edited by Lynette H
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, alison said:

Fascinating to see who else was further down the ranks then, too, including a couple of later principals performing the dolls in Act II!

I just picked a date at random, and found Jamie Tapper and Cojocaru in the cast list as well.  

• Like 1