Royal Ballet - Coppelia (Dec. 2019 - Jan. 2020)

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fab opening act, some very humorous bits in it, particularly in the closing moments with the appearance of the ladder and the girls going in to the house. I just wish I wasn’t sat next to someone rummaging through a packet of Dairy Milk Caramel Nibbles through much of it. Then he had a drink. Then he had a look at his programme about two minutes before the end of the Act. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rob S said:

What a fab opening act, some very humorous bits in it, particularly in the closing moments with the appearance of the ladder and the girls going in to the house. I just wish I wasn’t sat next to someone rummaging through a packet of Dairy Milk Caramel Nibbles through much of it. Then he had a drink. Then he had a look at his programme about two minutes before the end of the Act. 

What a pain in the proverbial. Hopefully an usher will sort him out!

Hayward enchanting...and so funny: lovely pas de deux- with Campbell on form: their trust and rapport was a joy to see. Fumi Kaneko quite radiant as Auora... but Gary Avis stole the show..he is incomparable!

Edited by Mary
  • Like 6

Just now, Mary said:

Hayward enchanting...and so funny: lovely pas de deux- with Campbell on form: their trust and rapport was a joy to see. Fumi Kaneko quite radiant as Auora... but Gary Avis stole the show..he is incomparable!

Thank you, Mary, for telling us about the performance itself.

What did you (and others) think about the production overall?

Action packed night in the amphi. Amphi ladies loos closed! A frightful bore and much frantic rushing about. 

Then -

someone called out at start of Act 1 :

'Stop texting and turn off your bloody phone!'

Whoever you are ... Well done. 

• Like 15

Capybara: a frolic. The comic scenes excellently staged. Some longeurs and a few first night fumbles..in the various peasant etc dances I thought ...

A serviceable, slightly old fashioned set but none the worse for that ..and the act 1 costumes a bit glaring red and white. Franz's outfit not v flattering. But Aurora an d  Swanilda wedding tutus beautiful sparkly visions and some gorgeous midnight blue costumes at the end. 

A really good Xmas ballet. 

But a top notch Dr Coppelius is needed to make Acts 1 and 2 work. ...fortunately we have Mr Avis. 

On wobbly train on phone...giving up!

• Like 5

I thought both the production and the performances were a total joy. Glorious music, a riot of colour on the stage with the most beautiful sets and costumes, wonderful dancing and characterisation; truly 'such stuff as dreams are made on'. No doubt assisted by having the most superb cast - Francesca Hayward, Alexander Campbell and Gary Avis deserve 'all the superlatives'. And Fumi Kaneko was a gorgeous Aurora, with Itziar Mendizabal a positively spiritual Prayer. Yes, the plot is as thin as air; but like air, it transports you to other realms.

It's many years since I've seen Coppélia, and I wasn't sure how enthusiastic I felt about seeing it again. Now, it's right up there with Fille as the most joyous experience I can imagine.

• Like 12

Bridiem spot on with her review, Frankie showed great comic timing and playfulness, you could see the fun she and Gary were having in the second act, she is a total joy. But in the pdd in Act 3 you saw the serious side with a glorious pairing with Alexander, very moving. All the cast really looked to be enjoying themselves which came across the footlights concluding with loud appreciation at the end. Great Christmas show and I hope everyone has a very Happy Christmas and peaceful New Year.

• Like 11

This was my first Coppélia. I knew it was a comic ballet but purposely didn't delve much deeper in advance. Was surprised (and delighted) to see how challenging the Swanhilda role is for a ballerina. And what a privilege to see Francesca Hayward live the part on opening night 🌟

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

the most superb cast - Francesca Hayward, Alexander Campbell and Gary Avis deserve 'all the superlatives'. And Fumi Kaneko was a gorgeous Aurora, with Itziar Mendizabal a positively spiritual Prayer. Yes, the plot is as thin as air; but like air, it transports you to other realms.

Agree. Bravo to them all.
Frankie and Alex are so perfect in these roles. Although the mime is a bit overblown for my taste, they are charming actors as well as beautiful dancers. 

My attention admittedly wandered when they weren't onstage. Much of the choreography and costumes (and props) in the Third Act could use a make-over imo and the different dances seemed quite random. 

In the first act, I thought Mayara Magri was wasted as the Peasant Girl. The small part would have been a treat for a First Artist , but doesn't need the skill of an amazing First Soloist. Am really looking forward to her Swanhilda debut.

• Like 4

For many it will have been the first time-and it was very welcome that the cast list featured a short synopsis. However, it would have been very helpful to note the significance of some of the dances,  which, without any explanation, might well seem entirely random, as Candleque says;  especially Aurora, Prayer ( beautifully danced by Itziar Mendizibal with great soulfulness), and the wheat-ear scene, at which point I could sense much puzzlement in the audience about what on earth was going on.  It is important to know that here Swanilda is testing whether Franz loves her by shaking an ear of wheat to see whether it rattles ( a comic version of Giselle and the marguerite, He loves me,  he loves me not...) A few extra lines in the Notes really were needed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mary said:

It is important to know that here Swanilda is testing whether Franz loves her by shaking an ear of wheat to see whether it rattles ( a comic version of Giselle and the marguerite, He loves me,  he loves me not...) A few extra lines in the Notes really were needed.

Thank you Mary! I did wonder what in the world was going on.

8 minutes ago, Mary said:

For many it will have been the first time-and it was very welcome that the cast list featured a short synopsis. However, it would have been very helpful to note the significance of some of the dances,  which, without any explanation, might well seem entirely random, as Candleque says;  especially Aurora, Prayer ( beautifully danced by Itziar Mendizibal with great soulfulness), and the wheat-ear scene, at which point I could sense much puzzlement in the audience about what on earth was going on.  It is important to know that here Swanilda is testing whether Franz loves her by shaking an ear of wheat to see whether it rattles ( a comic version of Giselle and the marguerite, He loves me,  he loves me not...) A few extra lines in the Notes really were needed.

Yes that kind of thing could have done with explaining...particularly as I couldn't see what it was that wasn't making a noise and only too aware of things that were making noises next to me.....still I'm going several times more and after a read of the programme may be more clued up about things other than the main 'plot'

• Like 1

Given my unfamiliarity with Coppélia, I bought a programme (for once) and so I was able to compare the longer synopsis there with the one on the cast sheet. I did wonder in advance if the 'wheat thing' would be understandable to those who didn't buy a programme, though as I watched I did think it might have become clear as it went on (just as the Giselle flower becomes clear, I think, even if you don't know what it means in advance) - but clearly not, here. It would only take an extra couple of lines in the cast sheet, so it would seem like a good idea to add it in. I did think that the programme (though very expensive, of course) is very good and I think well worth buying (for once...).

• Like 3