Royal Ballet - Coppelia (Dec. 2019 - Jan. 2020)

1 hour ago, Sim said:

It sounds like you are consigning her to the character roles already, FionaE!  I am sure she has many more purely dance roles to come.  I don't think one slightly off performance shows a lack of confidence;  she might just have been feeling a bit unwell.  She had after all been replaced as a peasant girl, indicating something not quite right.  I have admired her dancing this whole year and was delighted when she got her well-deserved promotion. 

As I mentioned above, Pajdak WAS NOT replaced as the peasant girl.  She was excellent in this role during the matinée.  I also agree that a bit of a wobble on the first day back after the Christmas break counts for naught in what was a beautifully emotional Prayer.

• Like 8

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Given she has played the Nurse in R&J, isn't that a bit of a kiss of death as far as aspiring to do lead roles goes? Has anyone ever played the Nurse & then gone on to do Juliet?

I don't think anyone was ever suggesting she was in line for Juliet.

Anyway, am I misremembering, or was it not Pajdak who was leading out the Shades in La Bayadère last time around?  You don't do that if your arabesque is generally unreliable.

• Like 14

33 minutes ago, alison said:

I don't think anyone was ever suggesting she was in line for Juliet.

Anyway, am I misremembering, or was it not Pajdak who was leading out the Shades in La Bayadère last time around?  You don't do that if your arabesque is generally unreliable.

She did, and in every performance.  

• Like 5

Talking generally about wobbling in arabesque, in the Prayer solo, (or indeed in any solo that requires prefect balances) it must be a nightmare for a dancer who, for whatever reason, doesn't get the balance quite right the first time and then fails to nail it the second time.  What pressure there must be with a third or fourth one looming over them.  While it is annoying for the audience to see a less than perfect performance, it must be a ghastly experience for the performer.  .  .   

2 hours ago, Sim said:

It sounds like you are consigning her to the character roles already, FionaE!  I am sure she has many more purely dance roles to come.  I don't think one slightly off performance shows a lack of confidence;  she might just have been feeling a bit unwell.  She had after all been replaced as a peasant girl, indicating something not quite right.  I have admired her dancing this whole year and was delighted when she got her well-deserved promotion. 

Of course I was not consigning her to character performances quite yet!  Although I am glad someone else pointed out her portrayal of the Nurse in R&J which I had also noticed.  Not everyone is destined to become a principal and it is probably already too late for Romany.  Having said that she has a number of years to be a fine soloist, and possibly get a chance at some principal roles. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Why?  I am commenting on my perception of her dancing technique.  There’s nothing personal about it. 

I must have misread your original post and, as a consequence, misunderstood it. 
I am happy to stand corrected and apologise.

It was just that I thought that you were generally criticising her and/or her dancing as 'leaden' and 'lumpen' with regard to all her performances and not just that in Coppelia.

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

Talking generally about wobbling in arabesque, in the Prayer solo, (or indeed in any solo that requires prefect balances) it must be a nightmare for a dancer who, for whatever reason, doesn't get the balance quite right the first time and then fails to nail it the second time.  What pressure there must be with a third or fourth one looming over them.  While it is annoying for the audience to see a less than perfect performance, it must be a ghastly experience for the performer.  .  .   

Indeed.  It must be an awful feeling.  On top of trying to do a decent job and not fall over in the actual performance, there must the thought in your head of ‘I’ve been given this chance and if it goes wrong, I might not be given another’.  The mental challenge is as a tough as the physical challenge.  

Another terrific performance of Coppelia this afternoon. Cesar Corrales made a great rogue of Franz with impeccable comic timing, projection and buoyant technique. Loved him! And I loved having a matinee audience around me really laughing over his Act 1 antics.

Mayara Magri once again showed what an excellent all-rounder she is. I really liked her interpretation of Swanhilda which, like her partner's, was natural and believable.

For me, Thomas Whitehead (on his debut in the role) hit the spot with Dr Coppelius as he captured the all-important pathos which has somehow eluded the other casts.

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, capybara said:

For me, Thomas Whitehead (on his debut in the role) hit the spot with Dr Coppelius as he captured the all-important pathos which has somehow eluded the other casts.

I thought that too. He was the first Coppelius who I felt a pang for at the end of Act 2.

I thought Magri & Corrales were both very good except for the first section of the grand pas which seemed slightly tense, with their held hands shaking at times. They both looked more comfortable in their subsequent solos. I thought both were excellent on the acting front. Magri is just a joy to watch on stage.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

Can only imagine how special it must have felt to Mayara to bring to life a character that is so important to her journey to the Royal Ballet. I’m still seeing if it will be possible but I’m gonna try to watch her on her Swan  Lake debut  at the end of the season 😊

I had a suspicion that Thomas would nail the role from the rehearsals made available on Youtube. But good to hear he apparently did great.

Edited by Ingrid
  • Like 2

I absolutely loved Corrales today and couldn’t take my binoculars off him!  Such a Latin interpretation of Franz and I loved it.  Fabulous dancing as well.  I liked Magri but she didn’t have the same ooomph as Francesca, Yasmine and Anna-Rose.  She didn’t quite own the stage like the others did.  She also rushed things a bit.  I am sure that some of it was nerves.  

• Like 5

Loved Mayara Magri and Cesar Corrales in the matinee of Coppelia today. What a joyful afternoon. Also very impressed with Tom Whitehead's Dr Coppelius. I took my 2 step grandchildren aged 7 and 5 and they were entranced, especially in Act 2.  Pleased to report too that Romany Pajdak performed Prayer extremely well.  

• Like 10

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Wonderful photos Rob.

I would like to see better bouquets for debuts.  My New Year’s resolution .... next one I attend.  Bloomsbury Flowers be ready!

Bloomsbury Flowers has been closed over the holiday period.

Edited to add that my own bouquets are always very much smaller but always appreciated by the dancers concerned. 

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

I would like to see better bouquets for debuts. 

hang on - no doubt a fan has paid good money for those (possibly more than they would normally afford), so there is no need to be disparaging about it. Its nice someone made the effort

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

hang on - no doubt a fan has paid good money for those (possibly more than they would normally afford), so there is no need to be disparaging about it. Its nice someone made the effort

At the stage door afterwards I overheard Magri thanking someone there for flowers so as she only had the one bouquet with her presumably that person was the donor. She evidently appreciated them at any rate. Personally I don't know how fans can afford to keep dancers supplied with flowers, given large bouquets seem to cost £30-40 nowadays. I know I couldn't afford to, not that I'd have the nerve to anyway.

• Like 1

I thought Magri was a lovely Swanilda. I wasn't wholly convinced by her acting in the very early stages, but as the performance went on she inhabited the role more and more and was very sweet, likeable and amusing. I thought she rose impressively to the technical challenges and she has a beautiful amplitude to her movement. Corrales was a suitably flirtatious Franz and formed a good partnership with Magri; and when he could let rip with the Act III solo he did so with great vigour. I also liked Thomas Whitehead's Dr Coppélius and found him more moving than Avis or Gartside (but they had other virtues - I think all three have been brilliant!). Claire Calvert danced the Peasant Girl with style and precision, but with no apparent connection with her partner (Franz); and she was a secure and confident Aurora in Act III. Romany Pajdak seemed a little more comfortable as Prayer and again danced with great beauty. I do find my eye constantly drawn to Annette Buvoli now; I can't wait to see her in more roles. Anyway the performance went down a storm with the audience, and justifiably so.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Sorry, Pajdak was both the peasant girl (i.e. the one who dances the czardas with Franz) and Prayer at the matinée (I commented at the first interval that Padjak made the peasant girl a character rather than just a role).  IIRC, Buvoli was the second to appear of the lead peasants (so many peasants, it gets quite confusing).

thank you for this, evidently I wasn’t the only one who got a little confused! 

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Please don’t misunderstand.  I was not disparaging the size of the bouquet, only that there seemed to be only one.  I am wondering why no other folks have bought bouquets for Mayara’s debut ...... and making a note to myself to do so in future.  

At a show in Zurich that I attended recently, the promoters of the event bought enormous matching bouquets for all 5 main protagonists (male and female) which I thought was a great idea.  Flowers for all !

• Like 2

Just now, FionaE said:

Please don’t misunderstand.  I was not disparaging the size of the bouquet, only that there seemed to be only one.  I am wondering why no other folks have bought bouquets for Mayara’s debut ...... and making a note to myself to do so in future.  

At a show in Zurich that I attended recently, the promoters of the event bought enormous matching bouquets for all 5 main protagonists (male and female) which I thought was a great idea.  Flowers for all !

Are there rules at the ROH about onstage bouquets?   I’ve never given one there before?

I won't post any photos from this afternoon, as @Rob S has already posted much better ones, but I can't see that anyone has posted any of the Morera & Campbell cast so here are some (more pics on my Instagram/Twitter):

ETA I've realised I've spelt the heroine's name as Swanhilda throughout but it's half two in the morning & I am not re-doing a dozen Instagram/Twitter posts now!

ETA 2 On the bouquet discussion, Morera only got one not-that-large one too, as can be seen above, though admittedly today wasn't her debut.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 5