Royal Ballet - Coppelia (Dec. 2019 - Jan. 2020)

8 hours ago, FionaE said:

Are there rules at the ROH about onstage bouquets?   I’ve never given one there before?

I read this article from 2012 many months ago when I first tried to understand flower giving, a forum member appears to get a mention. It answered a couple of questions I had but not all

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2012/dec/18/ballet-flower-giving

• Like 4

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At Birmingham Royal Ballet bouquets are presented on stage for major debuts and retirements.

At Northern Ballet bouquets are presented for major retirements.

Which does not mean to say that dancers don't receive bouquets just that they are not presented on stage.

I am wondering whether the people who are noticing these things have ever sent any flowers? At the RB, any dancer in the 'front row line-up' can have them presented on stage and it is clearly nice for them but also, as this discussion demonstrates, something which audiences appreciate too.

Anna Rose O'Sullivan had so many for her Aurora debut that she couldn't get herself out through the door. That is one of the reasons why I didn't send her any on Saturday (my mistake!); indeed, I often send on a second or later night when there are fewer bouquets and, because I will have seen a show, I can say something more meaningful (I hope!) in my accompanying note. [BTW, ENB now seems to give 'company flowers' for debuts (not at Sadlers Wells shows) but, otherwise, no gifted bouquets seem to reach the stage.]

Before M&S closed, I have known RB audience members dash out at an interval to buy flowers in a lovely, immediate response to the performance they were watching. Without that local M&S, sourcing inexpensive flowers worthy of their recipient and ensuring that they are appropriate wrapped is much more complicated. I understand that Bloomsbury prices start at £55!

• Like 3

Dawnstar it is quite likely Corrales brother could have been on stage as I think he is in the 2nd year at RBS Upper school and they are the spitting image of each other I’ve forgotten his first name ...begins with L and is a biblical name I think!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

I read this article from 2012 many months ago when I first tried to understand flower giving, a forum member appears to get a mention. It answered a couple of questions I had but not all

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2012/dec/18/ballet-flower-giving

Thanks for this Rob, so interesting! I didn't know S.Wicks & M.Welford were the owners of that often mentioned florist.

• Like 1

I often give flowers to dancers.  I used to get them from M&S but now that it's closed, as Capybara says above it complicates things.  However, I try to leave enough time to get to an M&S elsewhere.  I can't afford to go to a florist where the prices start at £55.  Having spoken to many dancers about this, and apologised for not being able to compete with some of the huge and beautiful bouquets they get, the answer has always been the same:  how big or beautiful the bouquet is doesn't matter;  it's the fact that someone has gone to the effort and expense (no matter how large or small) of showing their appreciation of the dancer's art in this way.  They just love that.  Only twice have dancers not thanked me for flowers, and needless to say they never got any more from me!! 

• Like 8

Ha ha Rob S I’m assuming you are referring back to an earlier confusion of some other dancer possibly looking like Kristen McNally so who was actually on stage that night ..but the only person L. Corrales might be confused with is C. Corrales!! 
If your post doesn’t refer to that then this post is totally irrelevant! ( as I fear a good many of my posts turn out to be 🙄

When I can summon up the energy will tackle my ‘ballet cubby hole’ which has needed tidying for months and find last years RBS performance programme which will have L’s name in it. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Ha ha Rob S I’m assuming you are referring back to an earlier confusion of some other dancer possibly looking like Kristen McNally

😉

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Ha ha Rob S I’m assuming you are referring back to an earlier confusion of some other dancer possibly looking like Kristen McNally so who was actually on stage that night ..but the only person L. Corrales might be confused with is C. Corrales!! 
If your post doesn’t refer to that then this post is totally irrelevant! ( as I fear a good many of my posts turn out to be 🙄

When I can summon up the energy will tackle my ‘ballet cubby hole’ which has needed tidying for months and find last years RBS performance programme which will have L’s name in it. 

That was me in the SB thread, getting McNally mixed up with, I later worked out with @bangorballetboy's help, Grace Blundell.

I found that the younger Corrales' name is Lazaro, as per The Cunning Little Vixen cast list. Everyone was so made-up in that piece that I didn't see what he looked like at the time!

• Like 1

On the subject of flowers... do you remember when we used to throw them rather than sedately get them delivered to the stage door?  I remember one performance by Nureyev where I was moved to rush out in the interval in search of a bouquet, and could only find a tiny bunch of anemones on a street stall.  Fortunately we were sitting quite close to the stage in a box, so I was able to throw my little offering down along with all the other magnificent flowers that people had brought.  He picked up my tiny bunch, looked up and grinned and tossed them over his shoulder contemptuously - too small!  I didn't mind one bit - I agreed with him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

On the subject of flowers... do you remember when we used to throw them rather than sedately get them delivered to the stage door?  I remember one performance by Nureyev where I was moved to rush out in the interval in search of a bouquet, and could only find a tiny bunch of anemones on a street stall.  Fortunately we were sitting quite close to the stage in a box, so I was able to throw my little offering down along with all the other magnificent flowers that people had brought.  He picked up my tiny bunch, looked up and grinned and tossed them over his shoulder contemptuously - too small!  I didn't mind one bit - I agreed with him.

Well that was very Rude of Rudi, if you ask me!

• Like 10

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

Dawnstar it is quite likely Corrales brother could have been on stage as I think he is in the 2nd year at RBS Upper school.

Lazaro Corrales is in the RBS 3rd year and he has not been on stage in Coppelia. (Unless my eyes deceive me.)

Edited by capybara

Back to Coppelia (although I do have a Marianella flower story). All I want to say about this afternoon's performance is what a total joy it was to see Will Bracewell on stage as Franz, but I suppose I had better expand on that. 

I'm not sure I ever seen anyone bring such characterisation to this role: his facial expressions, his ability to play comedy, his total immersion into the role. … and that's before we get to the dancing.  I found myself so immersed in watching him in Act 1 that I forgot to watch the rest of the dancing.

That being said, I really enjoyed the overall performance. I'm very taken with Tom Whitehead's Doctor Coppelius and Akane Takada's dancing was at its usual high standard. The corps were on super form and I came out of the theatre on a real high. What a treat to complete by 2019 ballet viewing.   

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

Back to Coppelia (although I do have a Marianella flower story). All I want to say about this afternoon's performance is what a total joy it was to see Will Bracewell on stage as Franz, but I suppose I had better expand on that. 

I'm not sure I ever seen anyone bring such characterisation to this role: his facial expressions, his ability to play comedy, his total immersion into the role. … and that's before we get to the dancing.  I found myself so immersed in watching him in Act 1 that I forgot to watch the rest of the dancing.

That being said, I really enjoyed the overall performance. I'm very taken with Tom Whitehead's Doctor Coppelius and Akane Takada's dancing was at its usual high standard. The corps were on super form and I came out of the theatre on a real high. What a treat to complete by 2019 ballet viewing.   

Thanks Jenny....even more excited about Thursday now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Lazaro Corrales is in the RBS 3rd year and he has not been on stage in Coppelia. (Unless my eyes deceive me.)

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Okay Dawnstar thought she had seen him  😊

My complete inability to identify dancers continues! Although in this case I don't actually know what Lazaro Corrales looks like, I just thought one of the dancers bore a strong resemblance to Cesar Corrales so thought it might be his brother. Evidently not.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sim said:

Me too!!

Tempted to see if I can get a last minute ticket in the Friday Rush, and see it again before the current run ends! Such a dreary couple of days at work, I need something to cheer me up!

• Like 1

Has nobody got anything to say about Morera and Campbell last night, or is the issue of bouquets much more important? 🙂  I was only able to see the one live performance of Coppelia this time round, so I have no comparisons to make, but I thought it was a cracking performance from both of them.  So joyous, it was a pleasure to watch them.  Morera is one of my favourite dancers, but I was only thinking last night how rare it is for me to see her in a tutu.

I wasn't too sure about either the Aurora or the Prayer solos.   Anna Rose O'Sullivan was all smiles in the former, and Romany Pajdak balanced competently in the latter, but neither dancer looked entirely comfortable to me.  Pajdak in particular seemed to have a lot of tension in her arms and shoulders.  I didn't think she brought to the role the elegant serenity that Buvoli displayed in the cinema relay.  

It was also great to see so many children in the audience.  I do hope they put Coppelia on again next year, it was such a refreshing change from the Nutcracker, and the youngsters were loving it.  Edited to add I had a little girl sitting next to me, and she was enchanted by the whole thing.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 8

34 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

My complete inability to identify dancers continues! Although in this case I don't actually know what Lazaro Corrales looks like, I just thought one of the dancers bore a strong resemblance to Cesar Corrales so thought it might be his brother. Evidently not.

I just saw the likely candidate in Act 1 this evening, basically the one that isn’t Asian looking....now I just need a mug shot of Lazaro Corrales to compare him with 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Morera is one of my favourite dancers, but I was only thinking last night how rare it is for me to see her in a tutu.

Mine too. She is such a very thoughtful, subtle, elegant dancer and a very fine actor. I very much regret not having seen more of her in the past couple of years, and good point about the tutu roles.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Fonty said:

It was also great to see so many children in the audience.  I do hope they put Coppelia on again next year, it was such a refreshing change from the Nutcracker, and the youngsters were loving it.

I'd be happy to have Coppélia AND Nutcracker next year!

• Like 2

Thanks for the name Dawnstar ....I think if you  saw Lazaro Corrales on stage you would do a double take he looks so like Caesar!! 

I rather like the idea that he would be performing on stage in the same show as his older brother when Caesar has the lead role!! 

He has a similar build as well I hope it was him anyway....I will look out for him next Saturday afternoon just in case!! 

• Like 1