Royal Ballet - Coppelia (Dec. 2019 - Jan. 2020)

I loved the matinee this afternoon.

Laura Morera and Alexander Campbell gave sparkling performances as the leading couple.  The grand pad in Act 3 was absolutely scintillating ... so much so that there were shivers running down my spine!  Claire Calvert and Melissa Hamilton were both lovely as Dawn and Prayer respectively.

I must admit to preferring both the BRB and ENB productions.  SPW's for BRB seems to make a more cohesive role and makes clearer why Swanilda falls out with Franz over his flirting not only with Coppelia but the seductive gypsy girl.  Nevertheless I hope this production continues to be performed in the future as it has much to commend it and it fits the RB like a glove.

• Like 7

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

What a great performance from Yasmine this evening and most amusing in Act 2 😂

Absolutely fabulous!  She and Matthew Ball were clearly having a real hoot out there, full of the joys of Spring and the natural exuberance of youth. Coupled with astonishing dancing and a natural comedic touch, this wonderful partnership continues to go from strength to strength. Bring on Saturday night (and afternoon!).  

• Like 13

On the train home now but wanted to say that it was another wonderful performance this evening with Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball in their double debut
A different performance from this afternoon’s matinée but just as enjoyable. Good to see the depth in the company and the different characterisation of the roles.

I also enjoyed Mayara Magri as Aurora and Gina Storm-Jensen in her debut as Prayer.  
I forgot to mention Claire Calvert and Melissa Hamilton in this afternoon’s performance who danced (really well) the same roles.

One little niggle for me is that I wish Claire wouldn’t rush the second crossing of the wrists towards the beginning of the Aurora variation. Mayara made both of hers nice and clear... don’t ask I’m hung on that detail - no clue. 🙂

• Like 5

What a terrific day - a double header of Coppelias that have largely converted me to theis ballet. Laura/Alex and Yasmine/Matthew were all super, making it an unforgettable day. Watching Yasmine dance in particular, is probably as near to heaven as I'm likely to ever get!

• Like 6

What  lovely performance tonight from everyone tonight.....I particularly liked Gina Storm Jensen as Prayer and Mayara Magri as Aurora

PC230073

PC230081

One of those wide angle views I can get thanks to the debut of my new lens

PC230122

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 15

14 hours ago, Fonty said:

Thanks for that, Jam Dancer.  I can only see one cast, so I chose Morera precisely because she is so good at comedy.   Not sure how cake will help with the overstuffed feeling, although the rum carrot cake is exceedingly good....🙂

Luckily I thought better of the cake idea Fonty! I shall have to try the rum carrot cake on my next visit.

Agree with what has been said about Naghdi and Ball, especially Yasmine whose facial expressions read marvellously well at a distance and whose dancing was a delight throughout.

What did people think about Bennet Gartside's Dr C? I rather liked him, partly because, not appearing so effortful as Avis, he perhaps came across more sympathetically. However, his mime (notably the doll shapes and the making signs) was not always absolutely clear.

I've been 5 times now and Swanilda's Friends haven't changed. Did Laura Morera acquire any new ones?

I should add that, last night, I was in the middle of a family outing (3/4 generations) and their obvious enjoyment gave a clear message that the RB's decision to have Coppelia as a Christmas ballet was spot on.

• Like 4

I very much enjoyed yesterday’s Matinee and with all the reports about last night am very much looking forward to 28th and double Coppelia - Anna-Rose O’Sullivan and Yasmine Naghdi.  I thought Laura Morera wonderful, every step, gesture, expression to me seemed so right - she is such a consummate artist.  We really are being spoiled by so many Swanildas.  Alexander Campbell again brilliant and I enjoyed Bennett Gartside’s Coppelius - more understated than some and I think all the better for that.  I’d go further and have a little less gurning which I don’t think adds anything.  I wondered how the dropped key was to be covered and thought Swanilda’s ‘key finder’ friend might have been given it to take on stage but the key is so big it would have been difficult to disguise.  Anyhow, the pretend key worked fine.  Even without the Coppelia dummy at the end of Act 2, I thought there was real pathos.  A tremendously enjoyable Act 3, a fitting end to a memorable performance.

• Like 4

There was a time (ten, twenty years ago) when I would attend a RB performance and a debut was literally "a debut": a bit rough around the edges, room for improvement, and I knew I'd need to see the dancer again and give her/him a second chance before forming an opinion.

Not so any longer since Mr.O'Hare became the AD. The results are there for all to see. Debuts no longer mean debuts as such.

Again so last night, what a glorious Coppelia danced by Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball. To see a very different and comical side of Yasmine Naghdi during Act 2 was a real revelation and I agree with Capybara, Yasmine Naghdi's facial expressions read so easily no matter where one is seated.  Matthew Ball and Yasmine Naghdi look so at ease dancing with each other now and I am greatly looking forward to see them dance Swan Lake together.

Their Act 3 Wedding pd2 so beautifully danced and impressive, Naghdi's difficult backward hops on one leg on pointe was flawlessly executed, her overall technical control, precision and strength are now a total given, she is on top of her game, totally delightful.

Matthew Ball has gained a lot in maturity and technical strength and he has become a natural on stage. The Naghdi/Ball partnership is now one of my absolute favourite partnerships, I can only imagine how they'll grow their partnership over the next decade!

I loved Gina Storm-Jensen's Prayer, and Claire Calvert's Peasant Girl, Bennett Gartside was good as Dr. Coppelius but no one can get is as right as Luke Heydon did in the past, he WAS Dr. Coppelius and I greatly miss him in this role.

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I wondered how the dropped key was to be covered and thought Swanilda’s ‘key finder’ friend might have been given it to take on stage but the key is so big it would have been difficult to disguise.  Anyhow, the pretend key worked fine.  Even without the Coppelia dummy at the end of Act 2, I thought there was real pathos.  A tremendously enjoyable Act 3, a fitting end to a memorable performance.

The key finder 'pretended' to have found the key and held 'it' aloft - but I'm sure I saw Laura changing the mime slightly, to indicate the door was ajar before they ventured in - which was beautiful stage craft.

Am I misremembering? I always thought that when exposed, the Coppelia doll was like a dressmaker's dummy like one - but in the evening it was the dancer who played her in the window in act 1 (after going completely awol in the afternoon). If that dummy gone amiss, then that would account for the dancer being pressed into appearing in a leotard and almost practice tutu (all in white) - but is that always the way? Or is it supposed to be the dressmakers dummy? Anyone care to enlighten me as to which is the normal one?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

The key finder 'pretended' to have found the key and held 'it' aloft - but I'm sure I saw Laura changing the mime slightly, to indicate the door was ajar before they ventured in - which was beautiful stage craft.

Am I misremembering? I always thought that when exposed, the Coppelia doll was like a dressmaker's dummy like one - but in the evening it was the dancer who played her in the window in act 1 (after going completely awol in the afternoon). If that dummy gone amiss, then that would account for the dancer being pressed into appearing in a leotard and almost practice tutu (all in white) - but is that always the way? Or is it supposed to be the dressmakers dummy? Anyone care to enlighten me as to which is the normal one?

Good job the train company I work for wasn’t in charge, the performance would’ve been ‘Cancelled due to a shortage of dummy crew’ 

• Like 3

Having only seen the opening night Coppelia before yesterday’s Matinee, I was taking Dave’s earlier post as confirmation of the Coppelia dummy.  I thought I recalled the dummy rather than the dancer playing Coppelia being wheeled on for the denouement on opening night - if incorrect many apologies to Ashley Dean.  

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

So sweet !   

AkaneWilliam-2.thumb.jpg.7a15eab7feed69b680112e1e3e3ec5cb.jpg

Those are lovely photos. I was going to see them on the 31st but given all the issues with transport thought that it would be taking a risk. Going on Saturday for the matinee instead but will have to battle with a strike and major engineering works at Guildford. Perhaps if I set off today I might make it in time!

Edited by MJW
correction
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, LinMM said:

Sorry about that penelopesimpson 😢

we had this on Southern railway two years ago (already) I was sympathetic to their cause ...the Guard issue...but it did drive me mad on occasions 😬

Yeah, I'm torn, as well.  I absolutely agree that a guard is necessary.  I get the last train after attending ROH and get off at the end of the line when there can be just a handful of people on board and I don't fancy it without a guard.  The guard always walks through the tunnel under the station with us which is reassuring.  But I have missed three outings in December as the timetable, such as it is, is unreliable and the trains full to bursting.

• Like 3

On 22/12/2019 at 12:04, Tango Dancer said:

That's stunning, he's always so beautiful when he jumps and spins and looks so beautifully light in motion.  I agree  with others that lighter coloured tights would have shown off his legs better.  They did rather blend into the background. 

The shinier lycra tights would have been more effective, fantastic performance though

• Like 1

Oh my, oh my....what scintillating and fabulous debuts from Anna-Rose O’Sullivan and Marcelino Sambe just now. As far as I am concerned, Anna-Rose is now a principal in all but name.  A very special afternoon.  ❤️❤️

• Like 17

40 minutes ago, Sim said:

Oh my, oh my....what scintillating and fabulous debuts from Anna-Rose O’Sullivan and Marcelino Sambe just now. As far as I am concerned, Anna-Rose is now a principal in all but name.  A very special afternoon.  ❤️❤️

In the words of John Le Mesurier “that was all really rather lovely” 

A terrific afternoon

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Couldn't agree more, Sim! They were both brilliant but she was just sensational. She had everything - technique, characterisation, stage presence, projection. She positively glowed. At one stage I seriously wondered if she had springs hidden in her legs. She bounced and she flew. Amazing. I half hoped that Kevin O'Hare would announce her promotion after the performance because she owned the role and the stage so completely.

• Like 8

Is anyone else as thrilled as I am that Anna Rose, who wanted to join the Royal Ballet Company from a very young age, seems to be having her every ballet dream come true? I’m sure that she has worked insanely long and hard to achieve them. 

• Like 10