The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, anticipating the new production, Summer 2018

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just booked for Naghdi and Kish on the 11th June ....Amphi seat but about ten pounds dearer than usual for Row E!! Still it's the end of a row which I like and with a nice bar to hold on to if need be and not squashed in as can be when no Arm rests etc.

I did look at Osipova Ball performances but they were just too expensive ....the ones left ....or had restricted view. 

I may try for a standing ticket for these two if one should become available down the line.

• Like 2

I just bought a ticket for the Osipova/Ball matinee on June 15th for £38 amphi row H which must have recently become available as they were sold out when I tried to book last week and I was forced to buy an evening performance which isn't good when you have to pay to stay over. There is still one seat available next to me at this price!

• 2 weeks later...

Such a shame that Madrid won't get to see Yasmine Naghdi in the role of O/O.  I guess there weren't enough performances to fit her in, and as she is the most 'junior' principal she is the one left out.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

Such a shame that Madrid won't get to see Yasmine Naghdi in the role of O/O.  I guess there weren't enough performances to fit her in, and as she is the most 'junior' principal she is the one left out.  

Their loss, for sure!

• Like 3

At first I was also surprised not to see Yasmine Naghdi cast to dance O/O during the Madrid tour but it is such a very short tour and there are only six performances. Obviously the RB must show Principals such as Osipova, Nunez, Muntagirov, McRae, Cuthbertson, Lamb and Bonelli to the Madrid audience. Nunez/Muntagirov get 2 performances whereas the others just 1 performance thus Naghdi, being the youngest Principal, clearly has "to pay the price" for the limited amount of shows.

At least here in London we have all her O/O performances to look forward to!

• Like 1

Yesterday afternoon, in between bouts of work, I spent a very pleasant time watching a Swan Lake I found on Youtube.  Starring some couple called Fonteyn and Nureyev.  :)With choreography by Nureyev.  Very interesting.  I can't remember the ending of the RB version, I haven't seen it for so long, but there is no happy ending in this one.  

I won't put the link on here, as full works videos like these have a nasty habit of vanishing, but I am sure people can find it if they want to.  Fonteyn did some lovely fouettes, incidentally, but not to the normal music.  I am not that familiar with the score, so I don't know what Nureyev actually used.  

• Like 1

From an interview with Osipova:

“The new version will still retain a lot from the traditional classical production: the white set, the swans, the duo. The choreographer is planning to slightly shift the focus of the performance and change the last scene. Nevertheless he is very careful in his treatment of the classical choreography. Actually, his version is closer to the Russian one, as I now understand. His own choreography will feature in the fourth scene (the dances he will stage himself) not be processing old versions. Perhaps, he might change something else, but he will leave the famous black pas de deux and the white scene virtually unchanged.”

On Matthew Ball:

“We first danced together in Giselle, and very successfully. He is a very pleasant person, very talented, handsome and with a very big heart. And I hope that we are going to be an inspiration for each other. So, to me, this is a very pleasant partnership.”

Both parts of the interview are worth a read.

https://www.russianartandculture.com/natalia-osipova-part-ii-so-while-i-am-carried-away-by-dancing-i-must-give-myself-to-it/

• Like 7

I guess we'll see him less and less with his initial partner Yasmine Naghdi with whom he danced Olga/Lensky in Onegin very early on in his career, followed by Romeo & Juliet, Sugar Plum Fairy/Prince and Aurora/Prince.

He is not even cast to dance with Naghdi next Season in La Bayadere nor in The Nutcracker...sad news for us fans of the Naghdi/Ball stage couple :( 

Edited by Xandra Newman
spelling
  • Like 5

Lauren Cuthbertson is the cover photo on The Times today and she and Liam Scarlett on the cover of Times2. Double page spread on pages 4 and 5 about the new production. Getting excited to find out more with the Insight next week...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Lauren Cuthbertson is the cover photo on The Times today and she and Liam Scarlett on the cover of Times2. Double page spread on pages 4 and 5 about the new production. Getting excited to find out more with the Insight next week...

The article is included in Today's Links - take a look not only at this but another 27 links!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, John Mallinson said:

Yet another silly caption. Ms Cuthbertson won't be wearing that 'traditional tutu' on stage in Swan Lake!

Quite and very confusing. I heard someone wondering whether the swans would be turning pink!

They are clearly quite neurotic about letting any details, other than the official Odette/Siegfried picture, leak out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Quite and very confusing. I heard someone wondering whether the swans would be turning pink!

They are clearly quite neurotic about letting any details, other than the official Odette/Siegfried picture, leak out.

Flamingo Lake!

They'd be foolish to let any details out, since they're pretty much guaranteed that people will jump on them to explain what a disaster the whole thing is going to be. Who wants that to be the news stories coming up to the opening?

• Like 5

What I'd like to know is whether members are going to try to avoid reviews here, in the newspapers, on Radio 4 etc until they've been to see a performance themselves

17 hours ago, Blossom said:

Lauren Cuthbertson is the cover photo on The Times today and she and Liam Scarlett on the cover of Times2.

With all due respect to Ms Cuthbertson, what a non-event to have as a front page photo.  I trust the coverage inside is better - and will try and remember to check it out tomorrow in the library.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rob S said:

What I'd like to know is whether members are going to try to avoid reviews here, in the newspapers, on Radio 4 etc until they've been to see a performance themselves

I am going to Takada /McRae on the first Saturday. I will read any reviews of the opening night (Nunez/Muntagirov) with great interest.

I know, Ian, I had a look in the supermarket.  But it's still an awful "non-event" of a photo to have on the front page of The Times.  Was there any reason Cuthbertson couldn't have been photographed in the proper tutu, since that's already been disclosed?

• Like 2

On 5/5/2018 at 06:47, Richard LH said:

I am going to Takada /McRae on the first Saturday. I will read any reviews of the opening night (Nunez/Muntagirov) with great interest.

Me, too Richard.  Couldn't get tickets for the first night but waiting with bated breath for 19th.  I feel confident we are in for a treat

• Like 1