The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, anticipating the new production, Summer 2018

9 hours ago, capybara said:

He hardly registered in the Dowell production as he quickly  merged with three other 'friends', didn't he? The Scarlett Benno has been widely reported as dancing the Act 1 pas de trois. So a considerable step up.

Yes I suppose he didn't actually do any dancing and dancing the pdt would indeed fulfill the criteria of a bigger role.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Anyone know where Ratmansky is atm?

I would imagine at home in NYC - given that his Harlequinade is about to open with ABT and several pieces, Whipped Cream, Firebird, etc. being revived.    

14 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Yes I suppose he didn't actually do any dancing and dancing the pdt would indeed fulfill the criteria of a bigger role.

Hahaha that wasn't the attitude of several who were cast as Benno in Stephen Baynes' Swan Lake when it premiered..."what do you mean PDT means Benno is a principal role???" which was what they were told.

14 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I would imagine at home in NYC - given that his Harlequinade is about to open with ABT and several pieces, Whipped Cream, Firebird, etc. being revived.    

Thank you Bruce.

2 hours ago, Sophoife said:

He's coming for Cinderella which is not until December in Sydney. You get Kevin Jackson for Nutcracker in exchange. 

Aus Ballet currently performing Merry Widow and working on mixed programme that follows it, plus new Spartacus so I very much doubt Alexander would be coming here to learn the role this early, when you consider what he is already doing in London. It's a helluva long flight for a couple of days in a studio! And it's Ratmansky so possibly he'd be able to learn it in Yurrup anyway...? Anyone know where Ratmansky is atm?

Thanks....I thought it was a bit early for him to be leaving!  So he could have danced Siegfried, as it happens....

There are currently a few tickets available for some performances (usually the top end of the price range) online.  In particular, a few for the first Takada/Bracewell performance.

• John Mallinson changed the title to The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, Summer 2018
2 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Oh dear, have I been naughty?

Hi Rob....we are just checking out the copyright issues.  We may need to leave this hidden and just suggest to everyone that in order to see the designs they watch the link to last night's Insight which will be on the ROH YouTube channel for about a month.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sim said:

Hi Rob....we are just checking out the copyright issues.  We may need to leave this hidden and just suggest to everyone that in order to see the designs they watch the link to last night's Insight which will be on the ROH YouTube channel for about a month.  

Ok, well at least one of the three pics had the credit on it and I just thought it would make discussion of the new designs easier 

4 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Crediting the copyright holder doesn't (in general) grant a right to use the material under copyright.

Indeed. I am shaky on still images: what is situation with fair use (comment, review and so forth)?

Only 1 photo of Yasmine Naghdi in rehearsal (?)  :( :( ...or are they keeping us all in suspense  :) :) 

Her striking arms, port de bras and all over line no doubt will turn her into a gorgeous Odette.

I for one just can't wait for 28th May.

I don't think that the powers that be need worry that much as the entire run of performances has at various times been described as sold out on the web site. The bulk returns are for seats  in the orchestra stalls and they look as if they are block bookings. I am not sure that I would automatically assume that in the case of what is now the Takada, Bracewell cast that the tickets are being returned by the disappointed members of the Steven MacRae fan club, although of course I could be wrong. Whether or not this rum of Swan Lake performances is a success will have far more to do with the textual choices made by Liam Scarlett than anything else. I for one am looking forward to seeing all the casts I have booked to see perform.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Well, if I had to choose a performance based on those photographs, I'd say never mind Odette and Siegfried, catch a night when McGorian and Gartside are on!

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, Jane S said:

Well, if I had to choose a performance based on those photographs, I'd say never mind Odette and Siegfried, catch a night when McGorian and Gartside are on!

She is so amazingly glamorous! 

• Like 2

On my way to Manon today I noticed signs on Waterloo Bridge indicating that it would be closed on 28th May between 8am and 2pm due to the London 10k. This would affect anyone trying to get to the Naghdi/Kish Swan Lake Matinee from Waterloo Station. There are more road closures so other might be affected as well.

Does anyone know what the implications of this might be? Will pedestrians be able to cross the Strand? Will buses be running? The website isn’t particularly forthcoming, so I thought a knowledgeable balletco Londoner might be able to help.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the Strand will be affected...it usually is in one way or another!

In a big event like this when buses get diverted off route it really is best to avoid buses because the roads get so clogged up and anyway in the end you could walk more quickly!! You will not be able to cross the road which the runners are using of course. There will be barriers all the way along.

I hate going on the tube these days and in fact on high pollution days I cannot travel this way at the moment BUT I would advise most people to take a tube route as close to the ROH as possible. 

Obviously the Piccadilly Line to either Covent Garden, Leicester Sq or Holborn is best.

I would avoid Embankment or Trafalgar Sq tubes though if can on this day.

I have no idea of the timing of the race it could be all over by 1pm! However it often takes the roads and diversions etc a couple of hours or more after the finish to get back to normal.

Also as its a Bank Holiday Monday check out any other events on in London that day.

• Like 1