The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, anticipating the new production, Summer 2018

8 minutes ago, Darlex said:

Could 'commissioned' also extend to new productions, ie the new Swan Lake, Don Quixote and hopefully the new Cinderella?

I've just dug this up (from a couple of years back at https://www.gramilano.com/2015/09/kevin-ohare-interview-its-an-exciting-time-for-the-royal-ballet/), so yes, it looks like his interpretation might be fairly loose...

"I thought, wouldn’t it be great to present all works that had been created over the last ten years – well, we might have to stretch to 15 if we wanted to especially include a particular piece – and of course, there are modern productions like Carlos’s Don Q. I’d love it if we could do that, but people don’t need to get too scared because it would actually be spread over two seasons, but the year 2020 would have only recent productions. I think would be exciting to see, especially with these new full-length works which, after Twyla Tharp’s Mr Worldly Wise in 1995, there hadn’t been until Alice. We’re now onto our fourth or – if you include Don Q – fifth new full-length production within the last 5 years, which is quite something."

• Like 1

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Scarlett's Sandman, so I shall continue crossing my fingers for his Swanlake. Otherwise 2020 might consist of a couple of Woolf Works for me, and maybe the odd triple that doesn't have Strapless smack-bang in the middle.

2020 might end up being an excellent year for extended stays by visiting companies...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mummykool said:

It was Scarlett's Hansel and Gretel that had the spooky Sandman. They did it in the LImbury and I would LOVE to see it again

Oops, yes it's Hansel and Gretel, though I think of it as the Sandman ballet since the character really got under my skin. I'd love to see it again as well.

• 2 months later...
On 05/01/2018 at 21:01, Lizbie1 said:

I've just seen the prices - it's not so much the prices themselves which are high, it's that they've kicked a lot of the lower-priced amphi seats up a bracket or two. I note that these seats remain in the previous (lower) bracket for opera, though fairness compels me to say that they remain cheaper for the ballet then for the opera. I wonder whose bright idea that was. 

Really hope this isn't a permanent change.

On 05/01/2018 at 21:28, Lizbie1 said:

If you're a friend, it's now online via the main page of the Account area accessed by clicking on your name - if you aren't, the range is £7 to £133 for evening performances and £5 to £105 for matinees: without the seat map any more detailed pricing is pretty meaningless as it doesn't conform to previous plans. Suffice it to say though that the cheaper seats are far fewer in number than previously (I haven't counted but possibly by as much as half or even more).

Quote from the Summer booking brochure:

"Special Note

Seat prices are not printed for the new productions of Lohengrin, Swan Lake and The Royal Ballet School Summer Performance because some of the seat allocations vary slightly.  You will need to look at the specific seating plan online or call the Box Office with the printed seat plan in front of you."  (My italics)  I suppose they think all their patrons have colour printers, too.

Not living in London am I the only one utterly dismayed to find the SINGLE Saturday matinee of the new Swan Lake is not available to the general public as it's a "Welcome Performance" (whatever that is) ? What is ROH playing at? There is only a matinee on a Bank Holiday Monday at 1.30 and I don't want to be travelling on a Bank Holiday Monday with work the next day or one on a Friday which is a bad day for traveling and I can't/won't take holidays. Yes there's the cinema relay with arguably the best cast but it's no substitute for being there.

I am really very disappointed and think ROH are forgetting yet again not everyone lives in London👿

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 15

That is indeed very poor.  And it's not as if there don't seem to be any alternative Saturday performance options, to judge by the schedule - although I know that the ROH is usually busy with stage rehearsals when there are no performances scheduled.  I wonder whether rehearsals for the new Lohengrin may be eating into the stage time around the time that Swan Lake is on?  At 4 hours 45 mins, that's a lot of time to take up.

• Like 4

Incidentally, I'm interested, if surprised, to see that the Big Screen broadcast is on Wednesday 6th June, while the cinema broadcast is on Tuesday 12th June.  I don't think they've ever split the two before!  When I first saw the "Filming" logo on 3 nights, I assumed it was because they would be making a DVD, and it was only later that I noticed the "(C)" after the 3rd one.

• Like 1

Managed to pick up a few crumbs for this today - a couple of not-very-wonderful standings plus one seat - hoping that something better may turn up later.  Not a whiff of a stalls circle standing to be had, not surprisingly.

I joined the queue at 9am in 1926th place but thankfully it didn’t take too long to start choosing. I think it’s great they give you an hour to make your mind up, a newcomer like me needs that kind of time to make his mind up :lol:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, alison said:

Making your mind up is one thing: once you actually click on a ticket you only have 30 minutes to pay for it, which can be stressful :)

I found that bit quite generous too, I’m used to sites giving you only 10 minutes to complete all your details after a seat is chosen :blink:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, alison said:

Managed to pick up a few crumbs for this today - a couple of not-very-wonderful standings plus one seat - hoping that something better may turn up later.  Not a whiff of a stalls circle standing to be had, not surprisingly.

I'm jealous Alison - I wish I could buy a standing tkt but there's no way, with my knee, that I could stand that long. So it's a - expensive - seat for me, but since I don't get to the ROH every week, it's ok 🙂

2 hours ago, Sharon said:

I'm jealous Alison - I wish I could buy a standing tkt but there's no way, with my knee, that I could stand that long. So it's a - expensive - seat for me, but since I don't get to the ROH every week, it's ok 🙂

I'd have liked to have got a seat for something that long, too, but unfortunately they've priced the few seats I can sit in well out of my price range (barring maybe 4) :(  So it's more or less stand, or don't go.

Oh, and BTW, the PDF seating plan is not 100% accurate ...

• Like 1

While hanging around for my car to be serviced I noticed an email from the Royal Opera House headed "Booking for Summer now open". 

I would have missed it altogether otherwise. 

"Oh good!" I thought to myself "let's see how the tickets are going for the new Swan Lake."  "*!@#^£* " I exclaimed when I found that they had nearly all gone.  I got one of the last decent stalls tickets for the 22 to see Cuthbertson and Bonelli  as Odette/Odile and Siegfried respectively, but it wasn't cheap.

'I'll let you know on 23 May whether it was worth it.     Somehow I think it will be.

• Like 1

Yes the tickets for Swan Lake are even more expensive than usual 🙄 but I gave myself a good talking to about that. Acknowledging how much I love ballet and the few times I get to London - especially when there's something I really want to see, like Nagdhi in Swan Lake. When it comes to the expense I just have to suck it up, otherwise I'd never leave Liverpool. And that would never do. I can't survive on the yearly visit of ENB or the odd appearance of Matthew Bourne. I have to travel and that means the expense of trains, accommodation and not forgetting the ticket price. But it's totally worth it! 🤩

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Sharon said:

".................I just have to suck it up, otherwise I'd never leave Liverpool. And that would never do. I can't survive on the yearly visit of ENB or the odd appearance of Matthew Bourne. ................"

To be fair we get a lot more in the North than English National Ballet and  Matthew Bourne although one may have to negotiate the M62 to see it.   Leeds, not too far from Liverpool, has Phoenix Dance Theatre and Northern Ballet both of which are good.   Birmingham Royal Ballet manages two trips to the Lowry and one to York every year.  Lots of foreign companies perform at the Alhambra, the Lyceum and the Lowry from time to time. Ballet Black makes at least one appearance in Leeds a year and often other venues in the North.  Ballet Cymru is often in the North.  Scottish Ballet comes to Newcastle almost every year.   I once attended an excellent performance of David Dawson's Swan Lake by that company at the Empire in Liverpool.

The North is by no means a terpsichorean desert.

Indirectly, Liverpool also provides an alternative to London.   I have flown to Amsterdam from Speke at a fraction of the rail fare from Huddersfield to London.  Despite the depreciation of sterling hotels and restaurants in Amsterdam are less expensive than those in  London.  The Stopera is an excellent auditorium offering a good view of the stage even from the cheapest seats.   It also commands a magnificent view of thee Amstel , plenty of good seating and fast service in the vars for the intervals.  A comfortable seat in the stalls a few rows from the stage for Don Quixote on 28 Feb cost me 52 euros.   I am not going to raise a ruckus by comparing the Dutch National Ballet to the Royal Ballet because both companies have their strengths. However, the  Royal Opera House could learn a thing or two from the Dutch about making high quality ballet accessible to the general public.

I love the Royal Ballet and I relish my trips to Covent Garden but they are not the be all and end all by a long chalk.

Edited by Terpsichore
  • Like 3

The North overall may not be a terpsichorean desert but I absolutely agree with Sharon on this one!

The Lowry is an 80 mile round trip for me and if I didn't have a car I could only reasonably to matinees as The Lowry is on the wrong side of Manchester to easily do the tram/train combination late at night.

If you live in Liverpool and you are not in a position to afford the travel expenses then you are stuck with one week of ENB a year!  A return trip to the Lowry, including parking, costs me around £17 in my current car, and that is not much more expensive than the train/tram combination and cheaper than possibly having to get a taxi the rest of the way home from Liverpool.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more about the exorbitant cost of parking at the Lowry or the time it takes for the tram to reach Piccadilly late at night but if one can get to Covent Garden from Liverpool then surely one can get to the Lowry or Grand.    It is always cheaper and quicker to travel to Manchester, Leeds or Bradford than it is to London. 

You and I dash up and down the M62 all the time for business or pleasure and  think nothing of it.   

The comparison was between the cost of stalls  tickets at Covent Garden and those elsewhere.  My ticket for row L of the orchestra stalls at Covent Garden on 22 May costs more than tickets for similar seats at the Lowry for Casanova, the Rambert and Cinderella combined.  

Edited by Terpsichore

6 hours ago, Terpsichore said:

The comparison was between the cost of stalls  tickets at Covent Garden and those elsewhere.  My ticket for row L of the orchestra stalls at Covent Garden on 22 May costs more than tickets for similar seats at the Lowry for Casanova, the Rambert and Cinderella combined.  

(At the risk of taking this thread further off-topic...)

The payoff, often, is the range of prices; at the lowest end of the pricing structure one can generally get into Covent Garden for less than the cheap seats in regional theatres. With the possibility, if you’re prepared to stand, of a much better view than the aforementioned cheap seats in regional theatres. So while the ROH good seats are much more, getting in at all for the minimum available price is often cheaper.

(Greetings from the Milton Keynes Theatre, where I’m about to see WNO’s Tosca from a front row stalls seat which I can afford here, whereas at Covent Garden it would sell for four times the price.)

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, RuthE said:

The payoff, often, is the range of prices; at the lowest end of the pricing structure one can generally get into Covent Garden for less than the cheap seats in regional theatres

In general I agree: speaking as someone who invariably goes for the cheapest seat with a workable view of the stage (for ballet) or decent sound (for opera), regional theatres can seem expensive compared to ROH.  BRB at the Birmingham Hippodrome in particular comes to mind.

The problem with this Swan Lake however is that so many of the cheaper seats affording an acceptable view were kicked up a price band.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Terpsichore said:

To be fair we get a lot more in the North than English National Ballet and  Matthew Bourne although one may have to negotiate the M62 to see it.   Leeds, not too far from Liverpool, has Phoenix Dance Theatre and Northern Ballet both of which are good.   Birmingham Royal Ballet manages two trips to the Lowry and one to York every year.  Lots of foreign companies perform at the Alhambra, the Lyceum and the Lowry from time to time. Ballet Black makes at least one appearance in Leeds a year and often other venues in the North.  Ballet Cymru is often in the North.  Scottish Ballet comes to Newcastle almost every year.   I once attended an excellent performance of David Dawson's Swan Lake by that company at the Empire in Liverpool.

The North is by no means a terpsichorean desert.

Indirectly, Liverpool also provides an alternative to London.   I have flown to Amsterdam from Speke at a fraction of the rail fare from Huddersfield to London.  Despite the depreciation of sterling hotels and restaurants in Amsterdam are less expensive than those in  London.  The Stopera is an excellent auditorium offering a good view of the stage even from the cheapest seats.   It also commands a magnificent view of thee Amstel , plenty of good seating and fast service in the vars for the intervals.  A comfortable seat in the stalls a few rows from the stage for Don Quixote on 28 Feb cost me 52 euros.   I am not going to raise a ruckus by comparing the Dutch National Ballet to the Royal Ballet because both companies have their strengths. However, the  Royal Opera House could learn a thing or two from the Dutch about making high quality ballet accessible to the general public.

I love the Royal Ballet and I relish my trips to Covent Garden but they are not the be all and end all by a long chalk.

Actually @Terpsichore I know we get more than ENB & Matthew Bourne in the north! I was speaking about Liverpool. I know other companies perform in Manchester or Leeds, etc - I travel there too. But just because those cities are in the north doesn't mean it's free, it still costs to get to these cities, I haven't got a magic wand 😁. And I make these trips happily because as I explained clearly - ballet makes me happy and if I want to see more of it I do have to travel outside of Liverpool.

And as for using L'pool John Lennon Airport to travel abroad to see ballet, I've done that too. I went to Paris in October to see the National Ballet of Canada. And I'm going to CA to see SFB later this month, but flying from M'ter.

Yes I love going to see the RB - but I adore watching BRB. I never stated that the RB were 'the be all and end all'! My last post was about me, acknowledging that this beautiful past time of mine was expensive, that it would entail trains, sometimes hotels, plus tickets, and living with that decision.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

ooh - I envy you that - San Francisco Ballet is a wonderful company, and they always do such interesting work

On 1/6/2018 at 11:59, bangorballetboy said:
7 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

ooh - I envy you that - San Francisco Ballet is a wonderful company, and they always do such interesting work

@zxDaveM Yes I'm really looking forward to seeing them and especially the Cathy Marston piece. 

• Like 1