Prix de Lausanne 2015

Pas de Quatre

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re Lausanne: the prizewinners choose their schools/companies in the order they won the prizes, so if Harrison chose Royal Ballet (for example) no - one else could choose that one (had they wanted to).

The marks go 25% contemporary class work, 25% classical classwork, 25% contemporary performance, 25% classical performance. And as I said before, roughly 5 per gender and age group.

All those who don't get finals do an audition class Sat morning watched by all the Ads who are there and it's on this basis that they make the offers (and for finalists who dont get prizes obv they have seen them in the finals and offer on that basis). But not all partner companies turn up for this (e.g. no-one fromSan Fran,Vaganova or Canada)

Re DSs choices ABT is a great offer but we hear it is near to impossible to get a green card to work in the states so it is not likely to lead to anything long term.

ENBS were (DS and DH felt) rather lacklustre- DS auditioned for Tamara Rojo in Jan and she said then she had no men's contracts at the moment but she thought his technique was astonishing- then at Lausanne she sat like a dead kipper (in DHs words) and barely spoke to him. And as you say the ENBS to ENB pathway is by no means certain. DH wasn't impressed.

Munich and Hamburg both fabulous and enthusiastic but very contemp/modern and DS feels he needs to cement his classical technique before branching out.

Li Cunxin was beyond lovely and were this not the other side of the world QB would be a serious contender. Personally I feel DS is too young to be that far from home...

So at the moment Dresden and Het National are top of the list with the most heartfelt and high quality offers (and with Het National he knows both Ernst and Ted really rate him as when he auditioned for them both in Jan they said he was the best male candidate they'd seen all year).

Yes I agree another year of vaganova would be ideal but because the school isn't a feeder to a company this is playing a dangerous game as you have to hope companies will agree to audition you when they have no idea who you are.

Re RB yes Patricia Zhou went there as an apprentice because she won the Prix so they couldn't say no, but she didn't get an offer to stay- which confirms to me that they will only stomach Russians at principal level (when they're famous enough to draw a crowd).

Many congratulations to your ds, CeliB! It sounds as if entering has given him some wonderful prospective opportunities. :-)

Just my personal opinion but I am not sure describing any AD as a "dead kipper" is advisable on a public forum.....?!

• Like 3

Im an overseas lurker/occasional poster. Regarding current vocational students not participating. It has been my understanding that the competition is directed at students that are not already in a partner school. Not a hard and fast rule but generally speaking. Schools want to hold onto their own and it could be perceived negatively if students jump ship. There are working relationships within the partner schools and companies that current students have some access to. My dd will be auditioning in Europe/UK soon for graduate training and the school helps setup the auditions.

It would be nice, of course, to do it in one week at something like the Prix but alas not an option.

• Like 2

On the subject of other competitors, I thought Julian MacKay was outstanding and, in fact, I thought he would win overall. Harrison Lee was truly fab, as well. Of the surprise non-finalists, Miko Fogarty... I thought she was pretty flawless and was surprised she didn't get through. I suppose she was in the older age group this time around, though.

Of the way the live streaming was done, I actually liked the interviews with the judges and their watching of their own youthful endeavours at the competition, which many of them obviously didn't think much of! It just brought it home that the competitors are still student dancers, and they are going to get even better as their careers develop.

• Like 4

Who are all these 'new' people posting here?  I can only recognise LinMM's name and - of course - Aileen's.  The newbies all sound very ballet 'in', so I wonder if they are dancers?

Whatever, I do hope they will continue to post when the 2015 Prix de Lausanne becomes old news.

They're all "Doing Dance" regulars, Ann! :-)

• Like 5

On the subject of other competitors, I thought Julian MacKay was outstanding and, in fact, I thought he would win overall. Harrison Lee was truly fab, as well. Of the surprise non-finalists, Miko Fogarty... I thought she was pretty flawless and was surprised she didn't get through. I suppose she was in the older age group this time around, though.

Of the way the live streaming was done, I actually liked the interviews with the judges and their watching of their own youthful endeavours at the competition, which many of them obviously didn't think much of! It just brought it home that the competitors are still student dancers, and they are going to get even better as their careers develop.

Yes, I wondered about Miko Fogarty too. My dd follows her very closely and she has won some huge prizes like Gold medal in Moscow last year and couple of silvers at big comps lately. 

I hope they put up the footage of the variations soon, as it would be very interesting to watch, especially the classicals.

• Like 1

In connection with who should have been in finals this year ......I STILL haven't seen the Fridays selections solos......so not seen your son apart from the coaching session yet CeliB (but I know he's good anyway :) ) hoping they will be on YouTube very soon.

But this year the big thing that was missing for me .....was not seeing any of them in class which has been truly irritating in my opinion!

I hope they put up the footage of the variations soon, as it would be very interesting to watch, especially the classicals.

It's not on YouTube yet but you can still watch the entire coverage of the selections here: http://concert.arte.tv/fr/selections-du-43eme-prix-de-Lausanne

LinMM, I agree it was a shame not to see more of them in class! There was a bit of footage of a girls contemporary class on Monday but not much more. I'd much rather see that than footage of previous winners cringe at watching their variations!

• Like 3

I know it's very personal but when I saw Miko Fogarty having her classical 'practice' on stage it did nothing for me.......

Re: the competition being for mainly non vocational pupils in the UK I think you would need to be at a school that was able to offer a lot of classes and private tuition to reach that standard? (I think of them as non- vocational vocational schools - ie not your average dance school.) That's why I assumed they were mostly from vocational schools. But it makes sense that DC at non vocational schools would benefit most from the exposure...... Does that mean all the Upper Schools here would be visited by 10+ ADs to look at pupils?

I would think Miko was probably there for the Swiss Prize which she won last year and she had very stiff competition for that so the right girl won. Also for the actual week and exposure to companies. I would have thought it a bit of a wasteful exercise putting her in the final, with her exposure she must always be getting offers. Anyway that's sll on another thread. I think personally Harrison had the edge potential wise. He could be a real super star.

Edited by balletqs
  • Like 1

What do people think about the rights and wrongs of videoing the classes? Although I would have loved to have seen more of the classes and workshops and the classical coaching, should we, as general members of the public over the entire world, have been able to see them? I know everything's all over the internet these days and it seems quite normal for young people to upload videos of themselves all the time. The performance videos are perhaps another matter. In a normal ballet class, you can't just turn up as an outsider and watch the class - or only in certain circumstances. Are these videos going to be on the internet for ever? Probably. Everyone will have signed their permission for videoing - perhaps they all welcomed it - it would increase their exposure and perhaps other potential employers who were not at the competition would see them, and make job offers, etc. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned!

Ann Williams I may ask 'who are you' in the Doing Dance Forum? Welcome to this section of Ballet.co. I havent posted in this particular thread but am enjoying members contributions. I have been s member for many years as have other posters and do occasionally post I'm other sections

• Like 2

Personally, I would love to see more class work and I don't see why that would be a problem re exposure. I could sit and watch class for days, you see so much and I like to see the real work that goes on. Variations are nice and you get a feel for performance quality but for a competition you need to see more detail I think.

As for the finalists, I want to feel moved by the performance. Some of the performances were 'nice', technically proficient but left me feeling neutral - have to say on balance I thought the contemporary was performed better than the classical - and I think the boys were stronger than the girls. I felt some of the girls were performing to a point but not able to project to the audience. I really liked both of the girls who were prize winners though.

• Like 3

What do people think about the rights and wrongs of videoing the classes? Although I would have loved to have seen more of the classes and workshops and the classical coaching, should we, as general members of the public over the entire world, have been able to see them? I know everything's all over the internet these days and it seems quite normal for young people to upload videos of themselves all the time. The performance videos are perhaps another matter. In a normal ballet class, you can't just turn up as an outsider and watch the class - or only in certain circumstances. Are these videos going to be on the internet for ever? Probably. Everyone will have signed their permission for videoing - perhaps they all welcomed it - it would increase their exposure and perhaps other potential employers who were not at the competition would see them, and make job offers, etc. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned!

I don't know about the rights and wrongs but all classes except the assessed ones and the one for non-finalists are open for viewing by the public at the event. I'd love to see a whole class but I also enjoyed seeing short excerpts from each one as we did last year.

I would think Miko was probably there for the Swiss Prize which she won last year and she had very stiff competition for that so the right girl won. Also for the actual week and exposure to companies. I would have thought it a bit of a wasteful exercise putting her in the final, with her exposure she must always be getting offers. Anyway that's sll on another thread. I think personally Harrison had the edge potential wise. He could be a real super star.

I would hope that the panel would not take any candidates previous exposure into consideration when selecting the finalists and that everyone would start off with an equal chance. Regarding Miko and the Swiss prize, she won it 2 years ago, didn't compete at the prix last year and this year I do not believe she was eligible to win it as they have changed the wording to be "Best Swiss TRAINED candidate."

With regards to the number of British entries, RBS has been quoted as saying that they don't allow their students to enter due to the demands of their timetable. Elmhurst, Central and Ballet West have all entered pupils in recent years.

I wonder whether the relatively low number of British entries could be due in part to British school nurturing it's students at a slower pace. The 5th placed winner this year for example has just turned 17 and will be getting an apprenticeship. If she was training in the UK, she would only just have completed one term of upper school at this point. Would students coming from UK schools be ready for a professional contract at that point? I believe most would not. Not because of lack of talent but because their training hasn't been geared to then being ready at that time. Many third year students would be too old to enter.

Celib, I just wanted to add to the many congratulation posts on here.  I've enjoyed following his journey through this thread and the Prix footage - what a fabulous outcome for him - you must all be bursting with pride!

I look forward to hearing what he decides to do - please do keep us up to speed x  

• Like 3

Oh dear - so sorry to all you 'newbies'!  It should have occurred to me to check to other forum headings, but I seldom stray far from the first three,plus the 'ticket exchange' forum and the 'not dance' one.  I did try the 'doing dance' forum briefly, but found it too technical so stopped.  Anyway, following thequays advice, I shall look in now (starting tomorrow) and will post whenever I can make a sensible-sounding comment, on the strict understanding that this will be a reciprocal arrangement and that you newbies will also look in on the forums I mention above and comment there from time to time.  We have to spread ourselves more evenly over the forum headings - think of spreading marmalade on a piece of toast.  One doesn't put it all in one corner, does one?

Sorry - getting a bit silly now - time for bed....

• Like 10

Thanks IC for the info. I hadn't noticed that change. Yes I would hope it is an even playing field. It is a shame there are not more UK entrants. I know of 3 UK non Voc girls who have applied for the Prix in the last couple of yrs. One is gorgeous and now in her first year of Voc training she have would more than held her own judging by what I've seen this year. Yet not chosen. I just feel sometimes poor Brits are not given the chance with any of these things. A bit like the Eurovision Song Contest!!!

Oh dear - so sorry to all you 'newbies'! It should have occurred to me to check to other forum headings, but I seldom stray far from the first three,plus the 'ticket exchange' forum and the 'not dance' one. I did try the 'doing dance' forum briefly, but found it too technical so stopped. Anyway, following thequays advice, I shall look in now (starting tomorrow) and will post whenever I can make a sensible-sounding comment, on the strict understanding that this will be a reciprocal arrangement and that you newbies will also look in on the forums I mention above and comment there from time to time. We have to spread ourselves more evenly over the forum headings - think of spreading marmalade on a piece of toast. One doesn't put it all in one corner, does one?

I read the top 3 areas of the forum. They are very interesting on the whole and I have commented once or twice, but noticed that some posters there can be very 'snippy'. That doesn't seem to happen on 'doing dance'. I feel much more comfortable here!!

• Like 2

Oh dear - so sorry to all you 'newbies'!  It should have occurred to me to check to other forum headings, but I seldom stray far from the first three,plus the 'ticket exchange' forum and the 'not dance' one.  I did try the 'doing dance' forum briefly, but found it too technical so stopped.  Anyway, following thequays advice, I shall look in now (starting tomorrow) and will post whenever I can make a sensible-sounding comment, on the strict understanding that this will be a reciprocal arrangement and that you newbies will also look in on the forums I mention above and comment there from time to time.  We have to spread ourselves more evenly over the forum headings - think of spreading marmalade on a piece of toast.  One doesn't put it all in one corner, does one?

Horses for courses, Ann. :-)

For parents of aspiring dancers, "Doing Dance" is a lifeline - the most appropriate place to congregate and try to make our way through the minefield of training, finance, injury, pointe shoes, schools....the list goes on! There are some posters, parents and teachers here who are also avid ballet-goers, hence you will see their names pop up in the other sub-forums. But there are many for whom Doing Dance is the only appropriate board - just as there are many ballet-goers over in "Performances Seen" who never venture over here because it holds no interest for them - and that's fine too!

• Like 12

Would just like to add my congratulations to your son Celib, what a wonderful experience and achievement. I have also enjoyed your commentary on how the competition works, some real insider info!! I wish your son well in the next stage of his journey, sounds like he has a promising future ahead of him.

WF

• Like 2

yes I have to say I only ever post on this forum as all I am interested in is negotiating the minefield of an unknown profession on behalf of my son. Other than this I have never had (and still don't- shhhh don't tell) any interest in ballet whatsoever so you aren't likely to see me post anywhere else!

With regard to the Prix I have just gritted my teeth to watch DS in the selections and am not surprised he didn't make it through- his classical was pretty lacklustre. I think he fluffed the first double tour and then just gave up- I've seen him do it so much better! The contemporary was great though... Talking to him last night he also really struggled with the raked stage (I'm sure he wasn't the only one so this isn't an excuse just a comment). I don't understand why they have this- people complain about it year on year- and surely (being Swiss) they could easily afford to change it!!!

He's now off to YAGP (against his better judgement) with the caveat that he doesn't do the Desire solo as he always knew he wasn't really confident with it...

Anyway, after big family conference last night I am pretty sure this time next year will find DS in Amsterdam :)

Edited by CeliB
  • Like 24

I'd like to echo the thanks to CeliB and the congratulations to her son. Their personal story has really made the competition 'live' this year.

The Amsterdam option sounds really good and, having seen both Ernst Meisner and Ted Brandsen at work with younger dancers, I am sure that CeliB's DS will be nurtured there  in a way which will maximise his talent.

• Like 11

It has been lovely listening to such positive and wonderful news for CeliB son. Because we are all frequent visitors to this part of the forum, it feels as if we all know each other. Mostly we are all very supportive, sometimes we agree with each other and sometimes we don't. However we all respect each other's feelings and emotions, especially during stressful times eg auditions etc. So welcome to this section of the forum, a lot of is have been here for a long time and we are all very supportive of newcomers.

• Like 10

I too would like to thank CeliB for sharing her son's journey with us over the last few years.  Such wonderful news as he is now on the brink of a professional career.  Even though I have been in the dance world for decades - as a student, professional dancer, teacher and parent of a dd, I still learn a great deal from others experiences.  So thank you to everyone here for sharing joys and problems. Let's hope we can all continue support each other through good times and the not so good!

• Like 12