Prix de Lausanne 2015

Pas de Quatre

CeliB I have been following this thread with interest and was really excited to "virtually" know one of the dancers participating! Huge congratulations to your DS and good luck for the future, that I am sure will be far more than just bright. Thank you for sharing with us the whole experience!

Ellie, wonderful article about the McKay family. What a fortune to have four children all so talented!

• Like 3

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, what a fascinating story.  It says that the mother moved to Moscow with the boys - does anyone know what happened to the father - did he move too?  And if not I wonder what that did to their marriage - must have been very hard.......  I shall go back and watch Julian's variations again now that I know something about his background - wonder if he has his sisters' feet?

• Like 1

Yes, what a fascinating story.  It says that the mother moved to Moscow with the boys - does anyone know what happened to the father - did he move too?  And if not I wonder what that did to their marriage - must have been very hard.......  I shall go back and watch Julian's variations again now that I know something about his background - wonder if he has his sisters' feet?

The Father stayed in the US.

If my memory is correct Rory and Iain (def Iain) attended Dance School of Scotland before continuing their training at upper school of RBS. I think only the oldest Clarke brother attended the Dance School and not for the whole of his secondary education. I remember Reece in Scottish Ballet JA's before going to RBS. The whole Clarke family moved down to Lobdon to be near their sons when they were at training at RBS.

I know it's not the Prix, but I just heard some great news about a former student of ours who moved to California with his family in July.  The boy is just 12 and was with us for 5 years, the last three with me. Last year, when he was 11, he got 95% for his Grade 7, so rather special.  Anyway, his new school entered him for the semi finals of the YAGP San Francisco (that's the comp featured in First Position) in the male junior division ages 12 to 14.  Well - he won!!!!!  We are all so thrilled!  Next stop New York Finals in April!

• Like 9

Yes I am hoping I will be able to see a video of his dance on the YAGP site.  All his ex class-mates are absolutely thrilled for him.  He is of course still in touch with them.  They become such good friends when they grow up together in ballet school, don't they?  He was younger than them by quite a bit as the girls are now 13 to 15, so he was sort of their mascot!  He came to us when he was 6  3/4 and we tried to put him in Primary!  He was having none of that and ended up in Grade 3!  He is incredibly musical and very versatile - he was brilliant in modern, jazz and flamenco as well as ballet and he has super feet too.  Definitely one to watch! 

• Like 3

Yes sorry Clarke brothers!! Reece is the boy I saw at the 2013 Yorkshire Ballet Summer School and he stood out then

Recently saw him again in Symphonic Variations so realised he had joined the Company.

He was one of eight boys at that summer school who was coached by Anthony Dowell in an evening session there on Romeo and Juliet.

All those boys were good but there was another who had been at Elmhurst and had just got a place at the RBS senior school so must be graduating this year. He was very good as well cannot remember his name......anyway way off thread!!

It must be lovely to see pupils who started at your school go on to do so well later ......any ballet teachers that is.

So now we'll be following YAGP with extra interest then in April.

I believe Harrison Lee won this last year in his category.

• 2 weeks later...

LinMM were you at the Anthony Dowell coaching session?  I was there too!  Isn't that a coincidence?  My husband and I were driving up to Scotland, which was where we met, for our 40th wedding anniversary and stopped off in York so that I could watch classes!  He toured the town and I did my ballet thing!  I've always been curious about the Ballet Seminars.  I was at the RBS with Marguerite Porter - amazingly she remembered me - although of course she could have just been polite!   Anyway, those boys were so good!   I loved the Scottish one - he was brilliant.  There was a boy there whom they'd used for the RAD Intermediate DVD and also for the Advanced Foundation DVD. He was at Elmhurst. Is he the one now at RBS?

• Like 1

Dance is Life that is a coincidence!!

It was a brilliant session and Dowell was so lively and funny and wonderful with the boys I thought.

Yes you are right about that boy I thought was very good being used on some DVD ......trying to remember it all now I know at the time someone told me what his name was (in a private post here on the forum) but have forgotten.....though I'd know if I saw it.

Reece was a bit older than the other students there that evening ....which is why he has already graduated ....the others would all presumably graduate this year from the RBS or other schools they were attending.

Marguerite Porter is amazing .....she has to be in her 60's now?

My friends DD may be going to Yorkshire Ballet summer school again this year so may be there again this summer as I can only catch up with her every two years.

Sorry yes I was told the boy in the DVD is the one from Elmhurst now at the RBS........well that was happening in July 2013...whether he changed his mind of course have no idea.....perhaps he stayed at Elmhurst .....but was definitely wanted by the Royal anyway!!

Edited by LinMM