Prix de Lausanne 2015

Pas de Quatre

And wow again CeliB that they were considering offering 404 (sorry being stupid now) the Het I mean. Great Company!!

Ozz friends would love him to go to Queensland of course!!

Nowhere near them but friend there who used to work for the Australian Arts Council in connection with Dance thinks that Li is transforming this company and making it much more classical

Don't know how often they get to Sydney to perform though.

Just thinking ....when was the Australian National company last here in UK?

• Like 2

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, LinMM from what we have seen, Li is doing incredible things with QB. Strangely, the performance they did at Prix doesn't represent the company at all. They mostly perform classical works, what they showed at Prix seemed much more like Australian Ballet Company work. Not sure if Greg Horseman often choreographs for QB.

• Like 1

Queensland Ballet is coming to the Coliseum this August. They will be performing Peter Schaufuss' acclaimed Sylphide. Last year I believe that the company performed MacMillan's R&J. I don't know when Australian Ballet last visited the UK.

Edited by aileen
  • Like 1

Of course .....that's what the prize is about.....they've already seen him before this anyway.

The previous posters were incorrect as have just said!!

Just a little bit of sympathy for Tamara re auditioning boys at the moment though.

I think the actual company is quite strong for men at the moment and if anything maybe looking more at mo for principal level.

Unless of course she had previously said she was interested and then just "forgot him" so to speak(re 404)

Aileen.....thanks for that info....will tell friends in Sydney as they hope to,be over here this summer!! Something to,look forward to.

Pastel.....haven't seen the professional performances of the Prix yet.....as got too busy catching up with the finalists performances but hope to see them during the next week. ......though I'm nearly ballet 'd out I must say!!!

• Like 1

No she did remember auditioning him. I think DH was just surprised at the lack of engagement compared to all the other companies/schools- I mean why bother to tick him for interview if you aren't really interested? It's not obligatory :)

He isn't bothered tho- it would never have been his first choice anyway!

• Like 2

I'll make a date in my diary!! We can always go and watch anyway! As it happens M in Sydney has suggested we do it one day.....perhaps we can all go for the week!!

My partner will be pleased as he's been fed up with me hovering over the IPad all week!! And nothing else getting done!!

• Like 1

But if you wait until she's the age to be thinking about companies it's a very very cost effective way of being auditioned by at least 13 European companies with the possibility (if you win a prize) of a guaranteed apprenticeship.

• Like 9

That's a good point CeliB. It seems there are a lot of schools and scouts for companies there.

If she's serious about it I think she should have a go ....why not.

Perhaps we can continue this conversation on Friday Pastel!! Looking forward to seeing your DD dance then too!

• Like 1

Thanks CeliB - she will be 18 this year, so next year is her last opportunity. She has been watching it since she was a small child and always expected that one day she would be there.

LinMM, yes we can chat on Friday :). It really is mostly a matter of funds, plus I'd like to see how much studio time she gets to practice for World Ballet Competition and see how that all goes in March. The initial audition fee for Prix is quite expensive and I don't know if she is of the standard to be accepted. If only we all had a money tree in the back garden!

• Like 1

The initial audition fee for Prix is quite expensive and I don't know if she is of the standard to be accepted. If only we all had a money tree in the back garden!

Pastel,I might be wrong but I think that you can submit a dvd rather than attend pre selection .... might be worth investigating

• Like 1

Pastel,I might be wrong but I think that you can submit a dvd rather than attend pre selection .... might be worth investigating

I think most people apply that way and it costs around £85, plus you'd have to pay to have the DVD made so it is quite expensive but I think that if you don't try it's one of those things you'd always regret not doing!

Re Lausanne: the prizewinners choose their schools/companies in the order they won the prizes, so if Harrison chose Royal Ballet (for example) no - one else could choose that one (had they wanted to).

The marks go 25% contemporary class work, 25% classical classwork, 25% contemporary performance, 25% classical performance. And as I said before, roughly 5 per gender and age group. 

My understanding is that a school or company can choose to accept more than one prize winner but they don't have to, in which case the lower placed winner must choose an alternative. I think RBS have taken 2 winners in the past.

Interesting that the marks are evenly weighted, presumably that also goes for the final. Group B seemed stronger this year which has obviously meant that some brilliant candidates were left out of the final but even so, I thought that some of the ones selected were weaker than some of the ones who didn't make it but as we didn't see the classes we don't know how well everyone performed there.

Re DSs choices ABT is a great offer but we hear it is near to impossible to get a green card to work in the states so it is not likely to lead to anything long term.

Oh yes you're right. What a shame! Luckily he still has other amazing offers to consider!

• Like 2

Do you think lack of jobs in companies has had an impact meaning the younger end of the candidates went through? Sorry probably a bit controversial! I felt the winner and the Swiss girl were outstanding but I was surprised by some of the selections for the final. My thoughts were perhaps they put through ones who were likely to benefit from a school scholarship rather than an apprenticeship/company place.

Edited by balletqs
  • Like 1

The 15 year old who won is incredibly mature physically and emotionally - to perform like that is staggering.

As a first year Prix watcher I am now disappointed there were so few British at the finals. My understanding is that the vocational schools here don't tend to enter them? Clearly there will be affordability issues but if I was the parent of a DC in a vocational school and my DC was of the necessary standard I would like them to have the option of entering. It is clearly a great way to be viewed by potential employers.

I am happy to be corrected by those with greater knowledge!

• Like 2

Do you think lack of jobs in companies has had an impact meaning the younger end of the candidates went through? Sorry probably a bit controversial! I felt the winner and the Swiss girl were outstanding but I was surprised by some of the selections for the final. My thoughts were perhaps they put through ones who were likely to benefit from a school scholarship rather than an apprenticeship/company place.

Rather depressing if that is the case - particularly with the cost of attending. 

SarahW - I wondered about that too. I know one of the main reasons students apply from Australia, is for an opportunity to be seen by directors of schools. It is less expensive to fly to Europe for one event than try to attend lots of different auditions since the auditions don't run back to back. Australian schools can also offer audition tours but they are extremely expensive, so Prix would still be a more affordable option for many. Once you are in a vocational school there possibly isn't such a need to go to Prix until the final year when you are trying to get a job.

Just thoughts????

• Like 3

CeliaB - I was really pleased to hear of all the offers your son has. I hope he enjoyed the whole experience. It brings back lots of memories including an Australian Mum whose son was at school with my daughter coming to support her as she always wanted to see Prix live. 

• Like 2

I'm puzzled about the UK vocational schools' attitude to international competitions,especially the Prix de Lausanne. If you look back at the lists of past winners there are some UK trained dancers who have won prizes eg Joe Caley. Why would Polunin have been entered when he was already at the RBS? It seems that this competition is a very good way of getting seen by, and making contact with, a lot of schools and companies relatively inexpensively if you live in the UK. An awful lot of places in upper schools and companies are given to prize winners at international competitions and if I were a parent of a vocational student I would be asking why my DC could not be entered. I feel that, with fewer contracts up for grabs these days, the UK schools need to be a bit more proactive about getting their students noticed.

• Like 1

Like you aileen,i'm puzzled especially with the UK schools being "partner" schools. Perhaps they network on behalf of their pupils while they are there and invite the artistic directors to visit them in house to showcase the entire year group rather than selected candidates. I'm thinking it would be impractical to have whole year groups there .... perhaps I'm over thinking the whole thing :P

I'm puzzled about the UK vocational schools' attitude to international competitions,especially the Prix de Lausanne. If you look back at the lists of past winners there are some UK trained dancers who have won prizes eg Joe Caley. Why would Polunin have been entered when he was already at the RBS? It seems that this competition is a very good way of getting seen by, and making contact with, a lot of schools and companies relatively inexpensively if you live in the UK. An awful lot of places in upper schools and companies are given to prize winners at international competitions and if I were a parent of a vocational student I would be asking why my DC could not be entered. I feel that, with fewer contracts up for grabs these days, the UK schools need to be a bit more proactive about getting their students noticed.

Totally agree with you! I have a very cynical view about that but I won't share it on a public forum.

Well Ernst Meisner (Dutch National) said he thought competitions were only useful for those who weren't already at a big name school (or older candidates from outside Europe/USA who want to get into those countries). He said if you were already at a big name school you  wouldnt have trouble getting a company audition. Of course this conveniently ignores the cost of getting to multiple company auditions....and I dont know what the definition of big name school would be and how that miht vary between ADs... 

Perhaps the Royal only enter someone if they think they'll win- just to remind everyone how fabulous Royal is?!

• Like 2

You could be right there about the Royal.

When Serge Polunin entered (and won it) in 2006 he had already been at the RBS for a couple of years.

He stayed on there I believe after winning the Comp but maybe the prize money helped with his final year there? Or he was trying to confirm a place for sure at their Upper school? (He had been at White Lodge since the age of 13) Though having said that I imagine he was on a scholarship already there......but maybe not?

I also wonder what would be a "big name" school. When considering schools worldwide that is!

Obviously the Royal but on a worldwide stage which others in the UK for example?

I wonder if he meant the schools just directly connected to main Companies like the Royal here and ABT in US the HET for Netherlands the Berlin school and Stuttgart school .......just a few of that ilk??

• Like 1

In connection with who should have been in finals this year ......I STILL haven't seen the Fridays selections solos......so not seen your son apart from the coaching session yet CeliB (but I know he's good anyway :) ) hoping they will be on YouTube very soon.

But this year the big thing that was missing for me .....was not seeing any of them in class which has been truly irritating in my opinion!

There are so many candidates that I think there will always be some you like who don't get through and others who although still pretty good were a bit surprising.

I have found this in previous years at any rate.

• Like 3

Who are all these 'new' people posting here?  I can only recognise LinMM's name and - of course - Aileen's.  The newbies all sound very ballet 'in', so I wonder if they are dancers?

Whatever, I do hope they will continue to post when the 2015 Prix de Lausanne becomes old news. 

The 15 year old who won is incredibly mature physically and emotionally - to perform like that is staggering.

As a first year Prix watcher I am now disappointed there were so few British at the finals. My understanding is that the vocational schools here don't tend to enter them? Clearly there will be affordability issues but if I was the parent of a DC in a vocational school and my DC was of the necessary standard I would like them to have the option of entering. It is clearly a great way to be viewed by potential employers.

I am happy to be corrected by those with greater knowledge!

He is really quite amazing isn't he?

Like you, I feel it's a shame so few British candidates were evident. I think it's a wonderful way to audition, all under one roof, a weeks classes and coaching with top dance professionals and a great way to find out more about the companies you are auditioning for. All leads to a better fit for all concerned.

• Like 5

Who are all these 'new' people posting here?  I can only recognise LinMM's name and - of course - Aileen's.  The newbies all sound very ballet 'in', so I wonder if they are dancers?

Whatever, I do hope they will continue to post when the 2015 Prix de Lausanne becomes old news. 

Quite a lot of us are parents, and have been posting on here for years!

• Like 6