Prix de Lausanne 2015

Pas de Quatre

How did you prepare for it Strawberyy? Did her school help or did you have to seek some private tuition for it?

Cdw ....thanks for info on Miko. There are so many good young dancers to compete with out there now but I'm sure she will get in somewhere eventually.

Balletqs .....yes I think it must be difficult for any of these students who go in for lots of competitions and so learn to dance main role dances quite early on to suddenly just be a member of a corps in a large company.

I think there is always the possible problem of "burn out" in these situations. But in the end I suppose if your ambition is to be dancing leading roles in a Company you love there's still all to play for!

Where Brits are concerned .....I can t remember whether was 2012 or 2013 but a boy from Central won a prize possibly for his contemporary piece can't quite remember now but I can see it must be difficult if too many pupils from same vocational schools want to enter for it as it would take up a lot of time to prepare more than a couple of students I think.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the competition for contracts these days I wonder whether UK vocational schools are being a little complacent in not entering their students for international competitions. Being placed gets you noticed and remembered and an awful lot of the prize winners get places not just at vocational schools but in companies as well. The RBS (which has an excellent record of graduate employment) can afford not to enter its students but the others probably can't.

• Like 1

LinMM - DD's school made the preselection video. Once she was selected the school chose her 2 pieces from the Prix list. One classical and one contemporary. There was no extra charge for the coaching. 

At Prix there was a week of classes and coaching and a classical class and a contemporary class are watched by the panel of judges. The 2 solos are performed to the panel on the raked stage (not seen one quite like that before). These 4 marks are added together and the top scores go into the final. The 2 solos are performed again and based on these performances the prizes are awarded.

Anyone can watch the unmarked classes so that is when you hope to be spotted by a school or Artistic Director.

My dd was 18 and one of the oldest there.

• Like 1

There were 4 UK students entered according to the Lausanne list, but it doesn't tell you which school they were from unless they are selected. And since my DS was listed as being a US candidate they are obviously not totally accurate.

Re expense: we are having to fly DS there from Washington so flights are more expensive, but luckily another student from his school who has also been accepted comes from switzerland so DS is putting up with his family. The school haven't charged any extra for the extra coaching or for the audition DVD which they produced themselves.

I agree it is expensive to have them stay for a week but if you consider the alternative- trips to perhaps a dozen different ballet companies around Europe (even supposing you manage to persuade them to audition you) - it seems quite an efficient way to get exposure!

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Really looking forward to this!

I noticed that the Swanilda variation is not an option this year for 15-16 year old girls, there have been rather a lot of them in recent years!

Strawberyy, are the prizes awarded solely on the 2 solos performed in the finals or are the previous performances and classes also taken into consideration? I've been re-watching competitions from previous years on youtube and it's sometimes puzzling why certain candidates miss out!

ETA: Is there any information on how many candidates who don't win prizes, still get scholarships and contracts?

Edited by invisiblecircus

On tv in the introduction to the finals, they always emphasise that the marking and prizes are awarded on the work throughout the week, not just on the performances of the solos in the final.  The only prize judged on the day is the Audience award - for obvious reasons!

The prizes are for scholarships to schools or apprenticeships with companies.  However, even for those who don't make the finals, there are official "networking sessions" where Artistic directors from many places can watch and interact with the dancers.

Merde to your DS CeliB - will be following him with interest.  Love the idea of live streaming, but how will I ever get anything done next week!

• Like 1

On tv in the introduction to the finals, they always emphasise that the marking and prizes are awarded on the work throughout the week, not just on the performances of the solos in the final.  The only prize judged on the day is the Audience award - for obvious reasons!

The prizes are for scholarships to schools or apprenticeships with companies.  However, even for those who don't make the finals, there are official "networking sessions" where Artistic directors from many places can watch and interact with the dancers.

Merde to your DS CeliB - will be following him with interest.  Love the idea of live streaming, but how will I ever get anything done next week!

Thanks PdQ, I've never seen it on TV, I thought it was that way but after reading Strawberyy's post wasn't sure.

I understand about the prizes and that there are networking sessions, I'm just wondering how many contracts and places/ scholarships in schools are offered as a result of those networking sessions. I know that a few competitors who didn't win prizes went on to study at the RBS for example, but don't know if that was as a result of been seen at the PDL or whether they had auditioned for a place normally.

Sorry, when I say TV, I mean live stream, previous years it was just the finals.  But I play it through my TV which has a bigger screen than the computer.  Also I have a friend who lives in Lausanne where it is shown on TV, and every year before it was available electronically she would record it on video and then send the video by post - I was always very grateful!

I don't think there is any available information on what happens in the networking.  

• Like 1

Love the idea of live streaming, but how will I ever get anything done next week!

Oh I will be glued to the computer- have already arranged not to be on call that week. Not sure if I will be able to watch Friday though as my nerves will be in shreds. I love watching DS dance but can't bear competitions (when DD used to dive her Dad had to take her while I hid at home haunting diverecorder for the scores). DH and DD are going on Thurs to watch (you get 2 tickets per candidate which allow open access to classes and the friday show- finals tickets have to be bought - and have been!)

Re networking there is a letter published on the prix website from a parent thanking them for her daughters opportunity to attend- she didnt make finals but got several scholarship offers to schools including RBS, which she attended and then got a place in the company. There is also a list of the offers made to non prize winners as a result of the networking event and it's a fair few... see http://www.prixdelausanne.org/competition/networking-forum/

DS flies in tomorrow. Am so excited to see him...

• Like 6

Oh I will be glued to the computer- have already arranged not to be on call that week. Not sure if I will be able to watch Friday though as my nerves will be in shreds. I love watching DS dance but can't bear competitions (when DD used to dive her Dad had to take her while I hid at home haunting diverecorder for the scores). DH and DD are going on Thurs to watch (you get 2 tickets per candidate which allow open access to classes and the friday show- finals tickets have to be bought - and have been!)

Re networking there is a letter published on the prix website from a parent thanking them for her daughters opportunity to attend- she didnt make finals but got several scholarship offers to schools including RBS, which she attended and then got a place in the company. There is also a list of the offers made to non prize winners as a result of the networking event and it's a fair few... see http://www.prixdelausanne.org/competition/networking-forum/

DS flies in tomorrow. Am so excited to see him...

Thanks for the link, CeliB, I've been reading that website for the last couple of weeks but must have missed that part!

What an amazing opportunity for your son, I don't think it's possible to enter the Prix and NOT come away with something great! I'm looking forward to seeing him and I don't even know him!

I'm going to Milan next week with work. I'm really looking forward to it - but what rubbish timing!! So annoyed!!

Will there be recordings on the site? Last year I watched the daily round-up type programme they had on the site.

There's never a good time to be in Milan, Regattah! :D

• Like 1

Has anyone had any luck yet with the Prix de Lausanne I know it's the first day etc but cannot get anything from the site.

In 2013 when I was into this I was able to download and App on to the IPad from where it was really easy to access the blogs and news and videos etc though there was no daily live streaming back then. Doesn't seem to be an App this year.

When I just tried to access the live streaming it came up with error 503.

Just been to Facebook and have at least seen the piccies!

CeliB recognised your DS .....your comment made me laugh....he looks great though lol!

Edited by Janet McNulty
Edited to remove name of DS

well I'm glad you saw him as despite wanting to be glued to the live stream i was at work and frantic so couldn't attempt to watch. I thought the lifestream might have a facility to watch later but it doesn't seem to- am very sad!

Yes that's correct Porthesia.

CeliB I haven't seen him dance yet .....comment was on the photo!

I only saw about half the live stream because it wouldn't work properly at first the site kept crashing!

Usually once they start to put the daily video blogs and "what's on today" etc you get more of a chance to see around.......at least I hope the live stream isn't going to be instead of those because you can save them and Ive still some from 2013!

The bit I did see today wasn't brilliantly satisfactory as it consisted largely of an interview with one of the judges and kept showing his dancing at the Prix from some years ago....nice .....but it's 2015 students I want to see!!