DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

I don't mind most of the more joyous shouts in the town square, seems in tune with what's going on. The bits I really don't like is the 'appreciative' exclamations around the gypsy campfire - sounds like dirty old men lusting after a lap dancer

I can't stand any of the act 2 shouts....I've yet to work out what they are all yelling about before being told to shut up by the lead gypsy....I would understand a smaller rant between one couple and a third party but why are they all going HEY HEY HEY?

• Like 6

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to have to don my hard hat because I didn’t feel wowed by last night. I have to preface this with a long-standing coolness towards DQ and a general preference for the production which Carlos has since produced  for BRB - far less cluttering of the stage ( also less busyness) and a wonderful  windmill scene.

It’s not a ballet which has much light and shade, but I was hoping for a more interesting interaction between Kitri and Basilo, but even though our two principals danced their hearts out of their various variations - in particular the  grand pas de deux, I didn’t find myself responding to them as a couple in the way I hoped I might. I also found Leticia Dias as Mercedes, though technically very secure, lacking any real characterisation. For me, the stand out performances were James Hay, Gary Avis and Leo Dixon, who were totally convincing. Having said that, I think the Company is dancing with an attack and energy that is great to see. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

I don't mind most of the more joyous shouts in the town square, seems in tune with what's going on. The bits I really don't like is the 'appreciative' exclamations around the gypsy campfire - sounds like dirty old men lusting after a lap dancer

I thought the same.  It seem as though they were crying out the gypsy equivalent of "Get 'em off."  And perhaps it is my warped and evil mind, but the way in which the female dancer responds seemed to be appropriate for those words.  Even if she does remain decently clad....

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Silke H said:

squashed by his Nutcracker Trepak replicating friends...

In that case they don't do it correctly as they aren't in a pile, they're barely touching each other, and very often he's unconscious the moment he hits the floor. 

5 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I am going to have to don my hard hat because I didn’t feel wowed by last night. I have to preface this with a long-standing coolness towards DQ and a general preference for the production which Carlos has since produced  for BRB - far less cluttering of the stage ( also less busyness) and a wonderful  windmill scene.

I think I'd agree on the Birmingham version being slightly better in terms of set design.  I loved the way they made better use of the windmill to show you how Don Q saw it.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

It’s not a ballet which has much light and shade, but I was hoping for a more interesting interaction between Kitri and Basilo, but even though our two principals danced their hearts out of their various variations - in particular the  grand pas de deux, I didn’t find myself responding to them as a couple in the way I hoped I might. I also found Leticia Dias as Mercedes, though technically very secure, lacking any real characterisation. For me, the stand out performances were James Hay, Gary Avis and Leo Dixon, who were totally convincing. Having said that, I think the Company is dancing with an attack and energy that is great to see. 

Don Q is very far from being my favourite ballet, in any production, and I do find that some of this one is a bit repetitive and choreographically uninspired. (I can only take so much olé-ing, skirt swirling and bare-chesting...). And I'm afraid I completely agree about Leticia Dias. But for me, the sheer energy, commitment and brilliance of the dancers make it work.

• Like 2

Always interesting to see both a ‘real’ and cinema performance of the same ballet.

This time, felt there were different aspects to love in both Friday’s and Tuesday’s Don Qs.

Seemed that the cinema/special occasion cast was making everything that bit more emphatic which may not always be a good thing but surely is forgivable and indeed welcome in this of all ballets where subtlety is not the biggest priority.

Loved Ball and Magri’s cheeky characterisation (certainly no lack of ‘chemistry’ from where I was sitting!) just as the sheer charm of Bracewell/Kaneko’s approach had an equal but different sort of appeal. Richardson and Dias spectacularly confident and assured, beautiful dream sequence again, Avis as usual giving that little extra in what can be a thankless part, and Hay even more wonderful seen closer up. Among the others, I think it was Sae Maeda who caught my eye this time. Enjoyed seeing more of that remarkable horse, as well as the rest of the interviews etc.

Yes, Fumi’s fabulous fouettés were in a class of their own but but the way Magri bounced instantaneously back and carried on smiling through meant that it’s the other 99 per cent of her thrilling performance which will linger in the memory.

Not sure that the gypsy bit is any better in close up than in the theatre, and always seems interminable. Why can’t the two main gypsies just do a really dramatic, show-stopping pas de deux, rather than all the noisy faffing around, as Len Goodman might have said?

But a lovely evening and thanks to all involved with both performances. Sorry not to be able to  see Osipova but perhaps best to stick with memories of her and Vasiliev…

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Silke H said:

The audience was clap-happy at every minor break in the music and even along with the music in parts.  Too much whooping and screaming with most claps.  Generally noisy and "unresty" with lots of filming attempts.  Very distracting. 

I'd give the audience a break - the make-up of it probably had a large number of non-regular theatre/ballet goers for whom it would have been a marvelous novelty (first time attendance?), so can hardly blame them for being excitable

• Like 14

I loved last night's Don Q at the cinema, wonderful performances by Matthew Ball and Mayara Magri, absolute highlight being the one hand lifts in Act 1, thought I was at the Bolshoi!  Also particularly loved Calvin Richardson's toreador and of course, the amazing James Hay's Gamache!

That's only the highlights, beautiful dancing from soloists whose names I am not sure of, and Gary Avis made me feel so sad as the Don, first time I have been really moved by this character.

The production looked tighter and more classical than before.

And um, the King and Queen were there😊

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I'd give the audience a break - the make-up of it probably had a large number of non-regular theatre/ballet goers for whom it would have been a marvelous novelty (first time attendance?), so can hardly blame them for being excitable

I do think that it must be nice for the cast to experience spontaneous vocal appreciation. To a point. But from where I was sitting I couldn’t hear the orchestra, the screaming, whooping and clapping was so loud. Hopefully the dancers still could. 

• Like 4

I was wondering if my wife and I were the only ones rather underwhelmed by last night's cinema screening, but I see a few other posters do seem to feel the same way.

The poor screen lighting in our cinema, and the dearth of attendees, didn't exactly help, but even allowing for this I thought that whilst the dancing was technically fine, most of the main dancers  failed to achieve the same level of detail in  characterisation as other casts we have seen.

I was a bit surprised about this in the case of Mayara and Matthew, as, for example, their characterisation in the Carousel Gala segment was brilliant. Perhaps they were overly nervous given the Royalty/screening combo, or perhaps they are  more  successful at acting  as (respectively) more vulnerable/unattractive characters ....(Matthew is a really good Tybalt).

Or is it more difficult to act out a similar relationship to the one that you have already in real life?

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 3

Last night was particularly special, even though from where I was sitting it was impossible to see the King and Queen. There was a definite buzz among the (definitely increased number of) staff when I arrived, quite early and the building had been closed for a few hours no doubt for a security sweep.  It was lovely to attend for such an official occasion and also lovely to see many children attending as part of the invited audience.

Mayara is in her element with this ballet and enjoyed seeing her perform with Marcelino Sambe, but something was definitely dialed up in the performance last night because of the very special partnership with Matthew Ball. There was just that extra layer of confidence, intuition and trust. Matthew seemed to lift Mayara aloft for even longer than in his performance with Yasmine Naghdi and Mayara's horizontal leaps into Matthew's arms in act 3 (not a fish dive and no idea what the technical 'throw yourself horizontally for partner to catch' is called) were spectacular no doubt because of the connection and trust between the 2 of them. 

Sophie Allnat and Sae Maeda were a lovely pair as Kitri's friends. They had an excellent rapport and confidence.

Was really happy to see Leticia Dias as Mercedes, she is a really pretty dancer to watch but wish she had more to dance! Calvin Richardson was incredibly sharp and completely believable as Espada although I still think of the casts i've seen, Joseph Sissens oozed the most testosterone...

Not a big fan of act 2 and the often awkward choreography for the gypsies is a key reason for this. Last night was the least awkward I have seen overall and Hannah Grennell and Leo Dixon were paired well as the gypsy couple. 

I absolutely adore Annette Buvoli and Queen of the Dryads was perfect for her.  She has the strength but also the fluid port de bras to make a tough solo look incredibly easy and beautiful to watch. I feel her casting on previous visits as lead gypsy didn't work because of her long limbs and neck - too much to squeeze under lead gypsy man. I liked seeing the beginnings of her Mercedes in the insight and would have loved to see her full performance.

Great to see Liam Boswell as Sancho Panza again being so remarkably adaptible in such an ungainly and comedic role.

And of course always a delight to see Gary Avis. His ability to take on a character and become it so completely and so physically real is always such a treat.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I loved it. I loved the way the ROH was made more accessible. I don't like the snobbery about the etiquette. Ballet should be accessible to all. I had a great time. The dancing was fabulous and the ballet a master class in mime. Only gripe was that I wish Joe Sissens had a bigger role last night. Well done ROH and Royal Ballet. 

• Like 3

I notice none of the dancers were giving a little bob curtsey or bow when speaking to the King.  Were they told not to?  And did I see Darcey Bussell kissing Camilla?  On that topic, who was the lady Charles kissed when entering the building?  Who did curtsey, I saw.  

32 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Mayara's horizontal leaps into Matthew's arms in act 3 (not a fish dive and no idea what the technical 'throw yourself horizontally for partner to catch' is called)

I'm trying to think of a good name for it that ends with '....or dive trying' 

• Like 1

Reading all the reports from last night mkes me think that in hindsight I'm glad I was unable to get a ticket for that performance & had to go on 28th instead, though I was decidedly annoyed at the time booking opened, as on 28th the audience weren't too over-enthusiastic & Mayara Magri didn't fall over. I'm booked to see the cinema encore on Monday but will now be attending with some trepidation as it's never nice to see a dancer fall on stage but especially not for them when it's being filmed.

8 minutes ago, Shade said:

If they have filmed more than one performance could they edit that out?

Yes; that's one of the reasons they film twice....assuming, of course, that it will be released on DVD/Blu Ray.  

• Like 2