DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

whether it's the lighting, the camera work, or a combination of the two, it wasn't half gloomy - even in the sunny town square (where sunny = beige, and indoors = dark brown)

Same for us (Bedford Vue where only about 20 people attended) and not for the first time for these ROH cinema screenings. Did others suffer the same  poor lighting?

• Like 1

I'm so sorry for those who missed this because of technical problems - that must have been so disappointing and frustrating. At Wimbledon Odeon there were a few momentary losses of sound but nothing too intrusive so we were lucky. I thought it was a terrific performance and I'm very glad the King and Queen were there. So many highlights, as mentioned by others above - especially Gary Avis's monumental performance as Don Q, James Hay's magnificently funny Gamache (the timing! the eyes!), Calvin Richardson's elegant, sultry Espada, Annette Buvoli's strength and beauty as Queen of the Dryads, Isabella Gasparini flitting joyfully as Amour, and in Magri and Ball a leading couple who gave everything in a brilliant technical and expressive display. I felt so dismayed when she fell because she'd been superb and it was just so sad that that should have happened. But the company were in top form - amazing. And the horse!! I just love that horse. And I loved hearing from the props man in one of the intervals. A reminder of the people who perform such crucial roles behind the scenes but who are rarely lauded as they should be. Thanks and congratulations to them and everyone else for putting on such a great show.

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Same for us (Bedford Vue where only about 20 people attended) and not for the first time for these ROH cinema screenings. Did others suffer the same  poor lighting?

No. The lighting was excellent on the screen at Cineworld and everything was very clear. In fact, the live relay feed seemed a better quality than usual. I think at my cinema there must have been 60+ people - most I have seen except for Nutcracker. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Missfrankiecat said:

No problems with live feed in N London.  Thoroughly enjoyed evening.  Shame that just as I thinking I'd finally seen Mayara not make a mistake in performance (I've only seen her three times in a leading role) she took a tumble again but otherwise it was a wonderful evening.  More anon but I have work tomorrow.

It seemed to me that the orchestra were going at breakneck speed in that part  - quicker than I’d heard in other performances of Don Q I’ve seen. I felt sorry for her as she was stuck between a rock and a hard place - turn at a safe pace and get off beat or keep up with the music and risk a fall. In the end the latter occurred. 

Anyway I loved the performance tonight - such chemistry between Mayara and Matthew Ball as Kitri and Basilio and those lifts in Act 1 - I’ve never seen a ballerina be lifted with one hand above her partners head for soooo long. Incredible strength on Matthew Ball’s part.

There was a real tenderness and sense of youthful love and sensuality between Kitri and Basilio as well as a little cheekiness which was a portrayal I’d not seen before, but I really enjoyed it.

The only other Kitri I’ve seen is Marianela who gives more sass and cheekiness as Kitri which I adore, but Mayara’s interpretation was equally lovely. The only way I can think to articulate my thoughts is that Mayara as Kitri was ‘Ok Basilio, I really love you very much, but I’m going to play a little hard to get’ whereas Marianela’s Kitri is ‘I’m cheeky, fiery and I might just let you adore me if you play your cards right, yes of course I love you and am secretly thrilled you feel the same, but I want you to remember that I’m the prize here’.

Isabella Gasparini as Amore was spritely and delightful and Annette Buvoli was a beautiful Queen of the Dryads. Hannah Grennell really came across as a fiesty Gypsy Queen - which was exciting to watch. 

I watched the cinema relay at Basildon Cineworld which went off without a hitch (sound and lighting fine and cinema about three quarters full) and included Darcey and Petroc doing some backstage interviews Carlos Acosta, The props manager (who knew there are 300 props in Don Quixote!) and KOH as well as showing rehearsal footage and interviews with Matthew Ball and Mayara. Fabulous evening. 

Edited by Angela Essex
  • Like 7

I'm not sure you do sing the National Anthem in such cases.

Agree that the lighting was distinctly dingy, but I don't know whether that was my cinema or just what you have to expect when a staged performance is being broadcast live without additional lighting.  Perhaps they can adjust it for any stream/DVD, assuming that they have a good recording of the fouettés from the other performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angela Essex said:

It seemed to me that the orchestra were going at breakneck speed in that part  - quicker than I’d heard in other performances of Don Q I’ve seen. I felt sorry for her as she was stuck between a rock and a hard place - turn at a safe pace and get off beat or keep up with the music and risk a fall. In the end the latter occurred. 

I agree with the speed, as soon as she started I thought this is verrry fast.  Was so relieved when it looked like she was going to finish them but then the fall happened....very sad for her.  

I saw this at the cinema and I usually have the problem other people are describing with the dim lighting but it was actually well lit tonight.  I absolutely loved everything about this performance.  I love Don Q but the last couple of times I've seen it (not this current run, this is my first time of this run) I felt like it didn't have that spark and was a little flat but not tonight.

I thought Mayara and Matthew were brilliant in this, had so much fun energy and bravura I really loved both of their performances.  They were technically amazing but also very just a really nice, warm, cheeky performance which I thought was perfect.

Gary Avis was so wonderful as Don Q....I have to admit I don't tend to care too much about the Don Q character so it's a testament to his acting skills that I was very invested in the character 😂  I thought Calvin Richardson did such a brilliant job as Espada, I loved his performance.  Leticia Dias was a very cool and sultry Mercedes.  Loved Annette Buvoli as queen of the Dryads, a very soulful solo.  Isabella Gasparini really shone with Amour, she really radiates joy it's infectious.  Mica Bradbury in the fandango section was also great.  But I loved everyone really.

The only thing I still hate is all the shouting on stage, it still doesn't work for me and I think it's a bit jarring.

Really looking forward to seeing it again on Saturday with Natalia.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Angela Essex said:

Side note: why did no one sing the National Anthem? The orchestra played it since their Majesties were in attendance and everyone stood for it, but nobody sang. 

Everyone got distracted trying to take pics of Charles and Camilla? 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Richard LH said:

We had around 30+ at Bedford Cineworld so there are a few more ballet fans locally than I thought! 😃

I always enjoy the behind the scenes segments, so interesting and I really enjoyed this performance and close ups. I’d seen James Hay as Gamache earlier in this run but thought he was even better last night. I love to watch Isabella Gasparini and Leticia Dias in anything they do and they were great but my highlight of the evening was Calvin Richardson whose terrific characterisation and dancing as Espada was fabulous!

Mayara and Matthew were sweet together and their dancing was amazing. Felt so sad for Mayara when she slipped but it didn’t detract from the success of the evening, they both excelled as Kitri and Basilio.

• Like 7

The lighting at the Odeon at Switch Island (Liverpool) was fine.

I don't die in a ditch over fouettés and I prefer to see the traditional single fouettés danced with the music rather than fancy bits (doubles and triples) added in and bearing no relation to the music.

Mayara Magri gave us the absolute fireworks last night - singles, doubles and triples AND with the music.  Brava Mayara!

A minute of fouettés do not a ballet make and, unless the performance had to be stopped due to injury, I don't mention slips.  IIRC and most definitely paraphrasing did not Mr Balanchine say if someone fell it showed they were giving it their all and taking risks?

• Like 10

I  agree totally with this,  which is why I didn't mention it, and Magri gave a super performance all round - with so much smiling that managed to look very natural ( though she must have been very nervous in the circs) , which makes a difference in that role.

• Like 2

I am glad everyone else enjoyed the evening.  I was so looking forward  to it, and my local Odeon doesn't always put on the live feed from the ROH.  Not surprised if only 4 people turn up.  Having said that, it does seem to be very badly publicised.  I told several people about it, and they didn't realise it was on.  It seems that unless you are a regular at the ROH, (or the cinema) then you are unlikely to see any advanced publicity about it.  

I did feel sorry for the Odeon staff, as the power cut meant every screen cut out, not just ours.  I bumped into a disgruntled customer as I was going to see what was happening, and he was half way through his film when the blackout occurred and was fuming.  Later on, apparently there was an altercation by the popcorn stand, with members of the public shouting, swearing, and threatening violence.  The very young chap dealing with the situation was dreadfully upset about the whole thing. 

So, what was the official reason for the attendance by King Charles?  And who were the specially invited guests?

I agree with Jan too! For what it’s worth, the fouettés went well at the other filmed performance, the Saturday before last. 
Our lighting was a bit dark, but it only bothered me when I couldn’t see number two windmill very well.

Edited by AnneL
To make clear who I agree with
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

IIRC and most definitely paraphrasing did not Mr Balanchine say if someone fell it showed they were giving it their all and taking risks?

I don't know, but if so he was right! Unfortunately, however, a fall breaks the spell of the performance - you're suddenly reminded that this is a human being doing something that is in fact immensely difficult, and not the character and world that they and everyone else have been busy creating through both acting and technique. So sadly I think it does matter, and risk-taking does have to be tempered with good judgement about when to rein back to avoid disaster. But these are split-second decisions made under huge pressure, a pressure that would have been much higher even than usual last night because of the occasion. (And, in my experience the audience is always immensely sympathetic when someone falls, and they get even more applause than if they'd stayed upright!! Which is I think a very heart-warming tribute to human nature at its best.)

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, bridiem said:

So sadly I think it does matter, and risk-taking does have to be tempered with good judgement about when to rein back to avoid disaster. 

I have seen so many problems when dancers are doing fouettés, and almost always because the dancer is attempting to do something more complicated than single ones, gets out of time with the music, and loses their way.  Why do they feel they have to do this now?  Nobody in the audience is going to think the less of a dancer who doesn't attempt doubles, triples, or anything else.  The singles are impressive enough; why make it harder?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Mayara Magri gave us the absolute fireworks last night - singles, doubles and triples AND with the music.  Brava Mayara!

A minute of fouettés do not a ballet make and, unless the performance had to be stopped due to injury, I don't mention slips.  IIRC and most definitely paraphrasing did not Mr Balanchine say if someone fell it showed they were giving it their all and taking risks?

I wholeheartedly agree @Jan McNulty, we certainly had fireworks last night! My heart was in my mouth at various points during the performance and I think watching on screen really allows us to fully appreciate the effort, strength and poise displayed by these wonderful dancers. 👏 👏 

• Like 3

I am very pleased for the cinema goers to have enjoyed the evening, there must have been some very clever editing going on.  In the house we were a little underwhelmed (at least the regulars I spoke with).  The audience was clap-happy at every minor break in the music and even along with the music in parts.  Too much whooping and screaming with most claps.  Generally noisy and "unresty" with lots of filming attempts.  Very distracting.  But also, there were a rather unusual number of minor (and one larger) mishaps on stage going on.

Sadly I was a bit underwhelmed with the performance and have missed the chemistry between Kitri and Basilio that I have felt with other couples.

My favourites of the evening were Gamache, Espada and Kitri's friends.

Edited by Silke H
clarification
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, capybara said:

I thought I was clear. The groups from which tonight’s audience has been drawn were also given the opportunity to attend the poorly sold performances of Don Q and Anemoi/The Cellist so tonight was no longer the special ‘one off’ that it was intended to be.

This is not correct.  The poorly sold Anemoi were offered to staff and their families at a discounted price, not "given away" nor to the same group that was in attendance last night (unless of course they are coincidentally family of ROH staff)

I agree with this, it’s a case of less is more, too many tricks! I think it’s come from Instagram and also ballet competitions. My other pet peeve is when dancers hold their legs high and hold them just to show they can, often breaking the fluidity of the dance. Some young competition dancers seem to go from trick to trick with no thought for the dancing between or the music. Obviously there are times when balances and leg holds are important but they shouldn’t be pushed into places they don’t belong.

• Like 5

Lovely to see all these upbeat reviews but sympathies to those whose cinemas let them down (again).

I was just in the process of enquiring about the atmosphere in the House when @Silke H’s post popped up.

Are others who were there able to give their perspectives, please.

PS Regarding who the unsold tickets went to. My use of the term ‘given away’ was overkill but, when I had paid £100+, £12.50 felt that way.

My ‘take’ on the recipients of the tickets came in the form of a reply to me from Alex Beard.

Anyway, the need for ‘sell-offs’ is hopefully all over now.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, serenade said:

The only thing I still hate is all the shouting on stage, it still doesn't work for me and I think it's a bit jarring.

I don't mind most of the more joyous shouts in the town square, seems in tune with what's going on. The bits I really don't like is the 'appreciative' exclamations around the gypsy campfire - sounds like dirty old men lusting after a lap dancer

• Like 10

12 hours ago, LinMM said:

Well the young lady in the box office yesterday either didn’t know about the King and Queens visit herself or directly lied to me!! It was the way she completely dismissed that idea “ oh no nothing like that “ ( is happening). 
Perhaps she had been sworn to secrecy who knows but as she didn’t bother to phone me back either ( and she suggested it!) am feeling a bit peeved about ROH at the moment. 

i don't think that you will have been lied to.  though rumours may have abounded of the King & Queen attending, it is my understanding that only Department Heads or above were informed of what was going to happen and this only on a "need to know" basis.  presumably kept secret for security reasons, or, as another member has suggested, the King & Queen reserved the right to return their tickets in the event that they were exhausted by their daytime duties.

• Like 3

I do agree with Silke’s comments and having read all the other posts I wondered whether it was just me and my daughter feeling a little underwhelmed by the performance and irritated by the people around us. Coincidentally we were sitting in very close proximity to Silke, half way up the amphitheatre, so I wondered also about the effect of positioning in the auditorium and whether it might have felt more immediate and exhilarating in SCS. It may, however, have been that our expectations were too high and that Friday’s superlative performance by Kaneko and Bracewell was too fresh in the mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

So, what was the official reason for the attendance by King Charles?  And who were the specially invited guests?

See an item in today's Links: the guests were 'hundreds of NHS workers who had been invited to the show in recognition of their work and service, as well as teachers the Royal Opera House works with, and members of the Songs for Ukraine chorus – which invites displaced Ukrainians to come and sing at the Royal Opera House'. So, deemed to be a special performance worthy of a royal visit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silke H said:

I am very pleased for the cinema goers to have enjoyed the evening, there must have been some very clever editing going on.  In the house we were a little underwhelmed (at least the regulars I spoke with).  The audience was clap-happy at every minor break in the music and even along with the music in parts.  Too much whooping and screaming with most claps.  Generally noisy and "unresty" with lots of filming attempts.  Very distracting.  But also, there were a rather unusual number of minor (and one larger) mishaps on stage going on.

Sadly I was a bit underwhelmed with the performance and have missed the chemistry between Kitri and Basilio that I have felt with other couples.

My favourites of the evening were Gamache, Espada and Kitri's friends.

I think you must be right about the clever editing Silke - I didn't notice any clap-happiness, whooping or screaming in the cinema - or did I just edit it out of my brain?

Christopher Gable, when AD of Northern Ballet, encouraged people NOT to clap mid-act and I still stick to that unless there are obvious applause pauses.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jan McNulty said:

I think you must be right about the clever editing Silke - I didn't notice any clap-happiness, whooping or screaming in the cinema - or did I just edit it out of my brain?

I didn't notice any of that either - I suppose it just didn't carry through to the broadcast. And the only other on-stage mishap I saw was a matador having a bit of a challenging time at one point... 

3 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I presume broadcast microphones are aimed at the stage/orchestra pit, not the audience, which is probably for the best 🙂

• Like 5

Seeing the photos of the Royal Party and the dignitaries (Board members) surrounding them makes me want to address the latter thus:

”You, yes YOU. It’s all very well turning out for important occasions like this, but do you realise that you are presiding over an organisation where key aspects need urgent sorting? And are you calling the Executive systematically to account for improvements in these respects?”

• Like 9