DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

If arriving at Waterloo on Saturday, 11 November, there is a strong chance the bridge will be closed to all

traffic so be prepared to walk rather than catch a bus or taxi. I had to sprint to make it to the Don Q at 1

pm! The bridge was closed because of a protest march. I do not know if it will close for the LM Parade.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, BeauxArts said:

If arriving at Waterloo on Saturday, 11 November, there is a strong chance the bridge will be closed to all

traffic so be prepared to walk rather than catch a bus or taxi. I had to sprint to make it to the Don Q at 1

pm! The bridge was closed because of a protest march. I do not know if it will close for the LM Parade.

I always walk from Waterloo anyway (not so much fun in the rain of course!)

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

It’s definitely not the King tomorrow! 
It’s invited audiences who are celebrating anniversaries for example the NHS celebrating being 75 years old and even the RBS I believe? 
I phoned the box office because I wanted to know if there was any likelihood of tickets being released tomorrow or not and the young lady is finding out for me. 
I think as there’s now no big security issues involved there just might be a few last minute returned tickets. If they get back to me I will post here. 
As the encore cinema broadcast isn’t until next Tuesday ( not on Sunday as it usually is) I can’t get to see it so am hoping for a ticket instead. Have only seen one Don Q so far. 

When the performance was taken off sale (months ago), the ROH told ticket-holders that 'we have taken all remaining seats off sale for reasons we are excited to announce in the coming weeks'. So have they announced the reasons, but only to those going to the performance who have (for some reason) been sworn to secrecy? Or have they not announced the reasons, for some reason...? Call me unreasonable, but the reasons given above don't seem to me to be reason enough to make it a big secret anyway. Unless there are additional reasons not yet announced. :)

• Like 11

I think Saturday 11th November's 'ceasfire' demo (it's a democratic right to peacefully protest) is going to be huge to be honest. Coaches are booked from all over the country, I think the meeting place is Hyde Park at midday.  I'll see if I can find the planned route, but anyone going to London needs to be aware of this and plan accordingly.

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I can just about understand accidentally putting a performance on sale then withdrawing it shortly afterwards but that performance must have been on sale for at least a month and a half, given I gather it was available to book for all levels of Friends & was only marked as off-sale the night before public booking. How could no-one at the ROH have noticed a performance was on sale that shouldn't have been for weeks on end?

perhaps the information given to @LinMM by the young lady isn’t the complete picture.
it isn’t uncommon for plans, be they personal or those of an organisation, to change or be modified according to changing circumstances which may be what happened in this case. 

54 minutes ago, bridiem said:

When the performance was taken off sale (months ago), the ROH told ticket-holders that 'we have taken all remaining seats off sale for reasons we are excited to announce in the coming weeks'. So have they announced the reasons, but only to those going to the performance who have (for some reason) been sworn to secrecy? Or have they not announced the reasons, for some reason...? Call me unreasonable, but the reasons given above don't seem to me to be reason enough to make it a big secret anyway. Unless there are additional reasons not yet announced. :)

Well I’m going to the performance but I haven’t been told anything. But then I am never informed about any of the 25% discounts for the expensive seats (that I couldn’t afford anyway) so nothing new there. 

• Like 2

I’m sure Magri, Ball et al will provide the fireworks although I hope whatever’s planned isn’t a damp squib. I’m planning to see the cinema relay in Keswick so I’d settle for a glimpse of the Northern Lights which would certainly add to the occasion.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Silke H said:

Lovely to see Valentino Zucchetti being back on stage dancing (lead gypsy couple)

He was great opening night. 

21 hours ago, Ondine said:

I think Saturday 11th November's 'ceasfire' demo (it's a democratic right to peacefully protest) is going to be huge to be honest. Coaches are booked from all over the country, I think the meeting place is Hyde Park at midday.  I'll see if I can find the planned route, but anyone going to London needs to be aware of this and plan accordingly.

But there have been marches every Saturday for weeks, with numbers in 6 figures, and just as you describe (coaches from all over, starting at Hyde Park (or the Embankment).

These have been family events. I have seen them. In sun and in downpours.

I suppose what one media outlet describes as a "demo" is another's 'protest' is another's 'peaceful march'.

My point is I'm not aware of anything substantially different happening this Saturday (than there has been for the past 4 Saturdays). Arguably, more politicians have now spoken out (rather than continue to ignore the size of the marches), and a new spin may have been added ('stop' replaced by 'ceasefire').

There is no intention the event itself will be different. It will still be the same family groups and interest groups and concerned people.  Having largely ignored it for a month, national media will do what it does.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, postie said:

Having largely ignored it for a month, national media will do what it does.

Indeed.

There is now some controversy about Saturday's march going ahead, so we will see. I'll keep watch on the situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/07/justice-secretary-alex-chalk-calls-for-armistice-day-pro-palestine-march-to-be-postponed

All I'm saying is it's all going to be a very busy Saturday in London all things considered.  Anyone attending the matinee, I'd try to get into London and in the vicinity early.

well, this is odd, cast list for tonight states Leo Dixon again as lead gypsy couple, same as in last Saturday's matinee.  I guess the cinema-published cast list is incorrect

admittedly, Valentino only told me a coupe of weeks ago that he hopes to be back for Nutcracker Prince and Hans-Peter, but reading the cinema cast sheet I had hoped he recovered earlier than anticipated.

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/43/don-quixote-by-carlos-acosta/cast-list/56674

1 minute ago, Silke H said:

well, this is odd, cast list for tonight states Leo Dixon again as lead gypsy couple, same as in last Saturday's matinee.  I guess the cinema-published cast list is incorrect

The cinema cast list must, indeed, be incorrect. I've only just noticed that the it contains the following:  

"All casts subject to change. For full up-to-date casting, find the full cast sheet online." 

Well.

Don Quixote

BALLET IN THREE ACTS

07.11.2023 7:30 PM

The 122nd performance by The Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House. Tonight we welcome the individuals, schools and groups we work with to place ballet and opera at the heart of communities. We also welcome workers from the NHS who do so much to support the nation. This evening has been made possible by the generous philanthropic support from Doug and Ceri King.

Cast

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah I see. So the panning to audience moments won't be filled with the usual Stalls-area regulars "rattling their jewellery" (as John Lennon once said of the Royal Variety Performance at the Palladium). Instead cameras will track to a multicultural panoply of gleeful children and grateful NHS workers.

Probably not paying £52 to sit 4 rows from the back of the Amph, then. With a beguiling view dominated by snaking handrails.

Cynicism aside, who can begrudge them. Hope they all have a lovely evening.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Well.

Don Quixote

BALLET IN THREE ACTS

The 122nd performance by The Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House. Tonight we welcome the individuals, schools and groups we work with to place ballet and opera at the heart of communities. We also welcome workers from the NHS who do so much to support the nation. This evening has been made possible by the generous philanthropic support from Doug and Ceri King.

Cast

So, ‘royalty’ may well be in attendance this evening after all. Rather than the King and his Queen though we may be in the presence of two Kings instead.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Well.

Don Quixote

BALLET IN THREE ACTS

Cast

And the reason they didn’t (indeed couldn’t) make a big splash about this earlier is that thousands of tickets for Don Q and Anemoi/The Cellist were also ‘disposed’ of to the same ‘partners’.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gdallas said:

I’m in the Paul Hamlin hall right now and it is empty….. huge security getting in. What is going on?

Maybe they are being extra careful....it would be tempting for certain groups to 'do their thing' when they are being beamed live around the world (although is there a time delay as there often is with live programmes?).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterS said:

What do you mean?

I thought I was clear. The groups from which tonight’s audience has been drawn were also given the opportunity to attend the poorly sold performances of Don Q and Anemoi/The Cellist so tonight was no longer the special ‘one off’ that it was intended to be.

King and Queen are going to be in the house. 
I took a pic of the programme (bought one already and not buying another for the special cover).

editing to say I have no idea how to make the file size smaller to share!

Edited by Blossom
  • Like 2