DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I agree. I was hoping for Will and Fumi for Manon but I am really pleased he is dancing with Yasmine - I love her and think they will be brilliant together and it's good to see another dynamic. Yes, I saw the clips too over the summer and they looked really good together - Yasmine is an exceptional dancer.

We are incredibly lucky. I can't deny I was hoping for Will and Fumi in either Manon or Swan Lake - they were the 'biggies' for me but I also understand they can't dance together all the time. I think I would have forgone Nutcracker with them to have either Manon or Swan Lake though. I am really looking forward to Manon - I particularly am fond of the bedroom PDD and can't wait to see what Yasmine and Will do with that. 

Linnzi5, did you manage to catch Fumi & Will in Swan Lake at the Sat 19 March matinee last year? They performed the entire four act ballet and then hot footed (I'm hoping by cab or a friend/colleague's car!) it down to the Coliseum to dance the Act 2 pas de deux again for the Dance for Ukraine gala, with a different orchestra and conductor. What impressive stamina and great compassion (all the dancers at the fundraiser gala gave their performances for free). 

I can't remember  if they had 2 Swan Lakes together or just that one (he danced several more with Francesca Hayward and Lauren Cuthbertson, and she had danced her first one with Federico Bonelli a little over a week before) as there were lots of Swan Lakes last year and a nunber of replacements took place. I couldn't go to both matinee and fundraiser but they were truly beautiful together in the pdd that evening. Am sure they will be paired again for Swan Lake at some point. 

9 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Linnzi5, did you manage to catch Fumi & Will in Swan Lake at the Sat 19 March matinee last year? They performed the entire four act ballet and then hot footed (I'm hoping by cab or a friend/colleague's car!) it down to the Coliseum to dance the Act 2 pas de deux again for the Dance for Ukraine gala, with a different orchestra and conductor. What impressive stamina and great compassion (all the dancers at the fundraiser gala gave their performances for free). 

No. I didn't, I'm sad to say.  I would love to know what they were like together. I did know they'd danced the Ukraine gala but as far as I know that wasn't filmed? Why did they dance the 19th March matinee? To cover for illness? I knew Fumi had danced with Bonelli though. I went to the Hayward and Cuthbertson performances but possibly I missed that Fumi and Will danced together - I don't remember reading anything about it on here - or maybe I hadn't discovered the forum then? I certainly didn't know at the time, I don't believe.

9 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I can't remember  if they had 2 Swan Lakes together or just that one (he danced several more with Francesca Hayward and Lauren Cuthbertson, and she had danced her first one with Federico Bonelli a little over a week before) as there were lots of Swan Lakes last year and a nunber of replacements took place. I couldn't go to both matinee and fundraiser but they were truly beautiful together in the pdd that evening. Am sure they will be paired again for Swan Lake at some point. 

I really hope they are paired together as I'd love to see them. Lucky you seeing the gala! I would have loved to have gone to that! Thanks for passing the information on :) 

Edited by Linnzi5
typos!
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

No. I didn't, I'm sad to say.  I would love to know what they were like together. I did know they'd danced the Ukraine gala but as far as I know that wasn't filmed? Why did they dance the 19th March matinee? To cover for illness? I knew Fumi had danced with Bonelli though. I went to the Hayward and Cuthbertson performances but possibly I missed that Fumi and Will danced together - I don't remember reading anything about it on here - or maybe I hadn't discovered the forum then? I certainly didn't know at the time, I don't believe.

I really hope they are paired together as I'd love to see them. Lucky you seeing the gala! I would have loved to have gone to that! Thanks for passing the information on :) 

Fumi was initially down to dance the matinee with Bonelli (and they both said yes to the Ukraine gala very early) but I  think Bonelli withdrew  after the first performance either for physical  reasons (injury-related, though not necessarily a new injury, he said in his farewell speech on stage that he needed a lot of help from the physio and health team at RB to get him back on stage in recent years- he even looked around to and asked if any of them were around to joiin him on stage to be acknowledged) or to prepare for the directorship at Leeds, or both.

Bracewell was asked to step in as Bonelli's replacement for the matinee, and he agreed to do the gala too. (Bracewell actually made his Swan Lake debut in the first run of the production in 2018 partnering Akane Takada after Steven McRae had to withdraw through injury.) The Ukraine gala was filmed for Marquee TV and was available for their subscribers last year. Not sure if you can still see it if you subscribe now but you could email them to ask. Lots of our members outside London watched it on Marquee TV. 

I do remember all this as I had been trying to get a ticket for the matinee before the invasion happened....then after I got tickets for Bonelli's farewell and for the gala I stopped trying for the matinee as I had to pick up a friend early who was coming to the gala as well. I did remember watching them for any signs of fatigue but if they were, they were absolutely super strong at not showing it and were simply graceful, elegant and acted beautifully as well. A very special memory from two very special people.  👏 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't that 19th March matinee a Schools performance or Welcome performance or something like that? I'm pretty sure it wasn't available for public booking & that was why Bonelli's official farewell performance with speeches & flowers was done on 4th March. So while Kaneko & Bracewell did dance SL together in the last run most people wouldn't have been able to see them no matter how much they wanted to.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Wasn't that 19th March matinee a Schools performance or Welcome performance or something like that? I'm pretty sure it wasn't available for public booking & that was why Bonelli's official farewell performance with speeches & flowers was done on 4th March. So while Kaneko & Bracewell did dance SL together in the last run most people wouldn't have been able to see them no matter how much they wanted to.

Exactly so, @Dawnstar

I remember people (including on here) being disappointed that Bonelli's last show would be inaccessible to his fans. Then there was a further wave of 'indignation' when Bracewell came in as the replacement and the first Swan Lake outing together for him and Fumi was 'hidden' from public view.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went to the March 4th performance as it was Fumi’s debut mainly but also Bonelli’s farewell. 
If Bracewell had been advertised as dancing with her I would have chosen that performance so I think Dawnstar is correct it wasn’t available for public booking at the time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

1 minute ago, capybara said:

Exactly so, @Dawnstar

I remember people (including on here) being disappointed that Bonelli's last show would be inaccessible to his fans. Then there was a further wave of 'indignation' when Bracewell came in as the replacement and the first Swan Lake outing together for him and Fumi was 'hidden' from public view.

Thank you both. That explains why I didn't see any reviews for it. :) 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Ah, you are right Dawnstar- it was a schools matinee. That was probably the actual reason why I ended up getting  tickets for the 4th and not the 19th, haha. I think they should have a "do over", as they say across the pond, and cast Fumi with Will next time for Swan Lake so that the fans and the rest of the public get a chance to see them in the whole thing. 

17 minutes ago, capybara said:

Exactly so, @Dawnstar

I must admit I was surprised not to see Kaneko and Bracewell cast to dance it together this season given their obvious success as a pairing. (And as you rightly noted, the "indignation" that the public couldn't see them together in Swan Lake.)  Fingers crossed they will be paired together next time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Ah, you are right Dawnstar- it was a schools matinee. That was probably the actual reason why I ended up getting  tickets for the 4th and not the 19th, haha. I think they should have a "do over", as they say across the pond, and cast Fumi with Will next time for Swan Lake so that the fans and the rest of the public get a chance to see them in the whole thing. 

I must admit I was surprised not to see Kaneko and Bracewell cast to dance it together this season given their obvious success as a pairing. (And as you rightly noted, the "indignation" that the public couldn't see them together in Swan Lake.)  Fingers crossed they will be paired together next time. 

It looks from the casting as if Bracewell is needed in other partnerships. I would particularly like to see him and Takada together again as in the first run.

I am glad that Muntagirov is going to dance with someone in addition to Nunez. It’s a bonus for it to be Kaneko.

• Like 7

Briefly back to Friday, belated due to a wedding this weekend, but I just couldn't let it go without saying how much I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this cast! This was surely the adorable couple that no-one could help rooting for, with Bracewell the lovable, romantic boy next door that every mother wants for her daughter, the boy that you just know will be there for her come what may, and Kaneko the beautiful, open-hearted girl of his dreams. As to the dancing: a dashing, characterful, heart-warming display from Bracewell, and as for Kaneko - just wow! And the rest of the cast was fantastic, too, every one of them, with a special shout out for the way that James Hay's Gamache minced, bluffed and beckoned his conniving way around all three acts, not forgetting the curtain calls, to the arrogant swagger of Leo Dixon's 'God's gift' Espada, Ashley Dean's cute-as-a-button Amour, and to Hanna Park for pulling off those Italian fouettes with such aplomb this time round.

• Like 14

On 04/11/2023 at 17:59, Sim said:

Tuesday is the State Opening of Parliament and the first King's Speech for 70 years.  Maybe that has something to do with the invited crowd.  Sorry, guests.

I read in the media recently that it's King Charle's 75th birthday in a week - could that have something to do with the 'special' performance and invited audience? Could it be representatives from his favourite charities have been invited? Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Not sure where to post this:

Starting tomorrow (6th November) for one day only, you can head to the AllSaints Covent Garden Store

(57-59 Long Acre WC2E 9JL) or the Royal Opera House to win big. All you have do is find an envelope

The grand prize is a pair of tickets to The Royal Ballet's

Don Quixote on 11th November.

Good luck.

*Note: The ROH is open from 12pm and AllSaints

Covent Garden from 10am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I read in the media recently that it's King Charle's 75th birthday in a week - could that have something to do with the 'special' performance and invited audience? Could it be representatives from his favourite charities have been invited? Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I think it was speculated when the (non-)news first broke.

26 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I have booked my ticket for tomorrow at the cinema.  Looks like it will be a packed house - all 8 of us.  Incidentally, why does it say "Recorded" beside the date for every cinema?  Does it usually say that?  

All of the "live" cinema relays are marked as recorded on the ROH website

Edited by oncnp

It’s definitely not the King tomorrow! 
It’s invited audiences who are celebrating anniversaries for example the NHS celebrating being 75 years old and even the RBS I believe? 
I phoned the box office because I wanted to know if there was any likelihood of tickets being released tomorrow or not and the young lady is finding out for me. 
I think as there’s now no big security issues involved there just might be a few last minute returned tickets. If they get back to me I will post here. 
As the encore cinema broadcast isn’t until next Tuesday ( not on Sunday as it usually is) I can’t get to see it so am hoping for a ticket instead. Have only seen one Don Q so far. 

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I have booked my ticket for tomorrow at the cinema.  Looks like it will be a packed house - all 8 of us.  Incidentally, why does it say "Recorded" beside the date for every cinema?  Does it usually say that?  

I have booked my ticket too - my local cinema had about 20 seats reserved when I looked last week. 

Managed to grab a ticket for Saturday’s matinee. One of the few times I will have seen Osipova live.

Hopefully the planned demonstrations don’t cause an issue travelling on Saturday 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It’s definitely not the King tomorrow! 

I have to say I would have been very surprised indeed if it had been.   I very much doubt if the King would have asked for existing ticket holders to be moved in order to accommodate his own guests.  It isn't the way the monarchy usually does things in the UK.  

• Like 1

I think I've pulled a bit of a fast one 🙂

Sky Cinema offer two tickets per month for a free cinema visit, to be used Sunday-Thursday. Now I assumed this was for a standard film, but just for cheek I tried one of this month's codes for the DonQ cinema relay tomorrow - and it worked!!! So I'm there for nowt, along with about 7-8 other people at the moment.

Bit of a result!

• Like 9

Have no idea what all the secrecy has been about! 
Apparently the original tickets put on sale were done so erroneously. 
Who knows perhaps way back they may have invited the King for his 75th birthday only to later find out the date clashed with the opening of Parliament! 

6 minutes ago, MJW said:

Managed to grab a ticket for Saturday’s matinee. One of the few times I will have seen Osipova live.

Hopefully the planned demonstrations don’t cause an issue travelling on Saturday 

I didn't have any trouble on the last Saturday matinee.  Just got caught up in many of them walking up Charing Cross Road to the tube, but I ignored them to the best of my ability and just kept walking.  No problems with actual travel for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sim said:

I didn't have any trouble on the last Saturday matinee.  Just got caught up in many of them walking up Charing Cross Road to the tube, but I ignored them to the best of my ability and just kept walking.  No problems with actual travel for me.

Hopefully so; I was in London a fortnight ago at St James Palace and there were quite a lot of people with flags about. I understand there was a sit-in at Waterloo that day but thankfully missed that

Fumi Kaneko has posted on IG that last Friday (3rd Nov) was exactly 10 years since she injured herself in her debut as Kitri. 

I think it was an ACL tear which, IIRC, took her some time from which to recuperate. Subsequently, she tore her other ACL.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MJW said:

Hopefully so; I was in London a fortnight ago at St James Palace and there were quite a lot of people with flags about. I understand there was a sit-in at Waterloo that day but thankfully missed that

I’ll be coming in from Waterloo on Saturday, hope it’s not too bad. 

It’s a big station, hopefully not all of it will be impacted 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Apparently the original tickets put on sale were done so erroneously.

I can just about understand accidentally putting a performance on sale then withdrawing it shortly afterwards but that performance must have been on sale for at least a month and a half, given I gather it was available to book for all levels of Friends & was only marked as off-sale the night before public booking. How could no-one at the ROH have noticed a performance was on sale that shouldn't have been for weeks on end?

• Like 1