Audience Behaviour - Thread 2

On 20/04/2024 at 17:47, Rachel H said:

At the matinee of 'Swan Lake' this afternoon, the couple next to me started humming along during act 2! I shushed them, and the woman looked at me as if to say 'what's the problem? This is jolly isn't it,' and started humming a bit louder. They got another 'shush' from me, which did the trick.

Yesterday evening someone near me, though I wasn't certain who, did a bit of humming during Siegfried's solo at the start of Act II & Odette's solo later in the same act. I found myself thinking that there's a distinct advantage to less well-known ballet scores, given some people seem to hum along when they recognise music.

• Like 8

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s certainly fine to hum along to the radio in your car, for example. But in a public place where people have paid to hear live music/a live performance, it does seem bizarre. It should be obvious that opera and ballet don’t require audience participation as maybe pantomimes or musicals do. Maybe they need to start putting that on the cast sheets.

I certainly hope people don’t do it at the Proms (I haven’t been for a while so I don’t know)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

What do people think of conductors who hum along to the music?

I never sit near enough to them to hear them....but if I did, I wouldn't want to hear them anymore than I would want to hear an audience member!  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

What do people think of conductors who hum along to the music?

Well, since the chances of my ever watching him conduct again are likely to be around zero, I'm not that bothered.

23 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Is it The Attic Term when Lawrie, a droning singer, volunteers to conduct so she can "be Sir Thomas Beecham and hum"? I don't have access to mine in order to check. IIRC she then suggests André Previn as his hands go like Concorde's nose. 

@Lindsay @DelphiumBlue @CCL?

Haha yes it is! When they are preparing their Form's contribution to the Carol Service.  But after Lawrie has a theatrical attempt at conducting they (correctly) decide that her talents would be better used in a dramatic reading of Kipling's Eddi's Service 

• Thanks 1

I return to a topic that was discussed here some time ago. I visited the Vienna State Opera on Saturday to see the ballet performance of The Lady with the Camellias by John Neumeier. As the weather was very cold, all the audience came in coats or winter jackets. In front of the entrance to the auditorium, all those who did not put their coats in the cloakroom were uncompromisingly detained by the auditorium staff and sent to the dressing room. No one was allowed to enter the auditorium wearing a coat. It should be noted that there is no charge for leaving clothes in the cloakroom, only voluntary. I really liked this procedure.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I had a bit of an awkward encounter last night at the Winter's Tale, regarding seating. I was sitting in A100 of the stalls circle (which I chose specifically to avoid people leaning in front of me as it's right at the end, though I know it cuts off some of the stage).

Before Act 3 several people next to me in A98, A97, A96 didn't come back so there were a few empty seats. A man sitting behind me in row B asked if I knew whether those people were coming back or not. Act 3 was about to start so I said, probably not.

He then said, "Could you move down and let my friend sit in that seat" - gesturing to my seat, A100. (I think his friend was in row C or B, not sure.) I said, "Feel free to sit in these seats" - tapping the empty ones next to me - "but this is my seat."

Meaning: I would be fine with them sitting in the empty seats next to me, but I'd rather not move down from the seat I originally booked and paid full price for.

He then said in rather a disgruntled tone to his friend - "Stay where you are, she won't move down" and then Act 3 started, so I couldn't really hear them after that. (They did speak a bit during Acts 1 and 2, making a few comments on the dancing - it was a bit annoying as I'd rather people didn't speak until the interval, but I ignored it as it wasn't too disruptive).

I was a bit confused by this interaction. His disgruntled and entitled tone insinuated that I should have moved down into the empty, no longer occupied seats and let his friend have my seat. I'm not sure why his friend couldn't have just got up and walked around me to sit in one of the empty seats. He had three to choose from and it's not a particularly taxing thing to do.

If the friend had some sort of disability or other reason for taking my seat at the end he could have explained that, but didn't. (And even so, I paid for that seat specifically so... it would still be a bit of an imposition). Quite bizarre really.

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I had a bit of an awkward encounter last night at the Winter's Tale, regarding seating. I was sitting in A100 of the stalls circle (which I chose specifically to avoid people leaning in front of me as it's right at the end, though I know it cuts off some of the stage).

Before Act 3 several people next to me in A98, A97, A96 didn't come back so there were a few empty seats. A man sitting behind me in row B asked if I knew whether those people were coming back or not. Act 3 was about to start so I said, probably not.

He then said, "Could you move down and let my friend sit in that seat" - gesturing to my seat, A100. (I think his friend was in row C or B, not sure.) I said, "Feel free to sit in these seats" - tapping the empty ones next to me - "but this is my seat."

Meaning: I would be fine with them sitting in the empty seats next to me, but I'd rather not move down from the seat I originally booked and paid full price for.

Of course you had no obligation to move to the other seats! As you say, if someone else wanted to move forward into the empty seats that would have been up to them but you chose your seat and were 100% entitled to stay in it. How strange. I hope you still enjoyed the last act!

• Like 4

Did they think that somehow the empty seats were actually better than your seat?  So didn’t understand why you weren’t keen to move.  Otherwise they had no good reason to ask you to move to a worse seat if even only a slightly worse seat!! 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Did they think that somehow the empty seats were actually better than your seat?  So didn’t understand why you weren’t keen to move.  Otherwise they had no good reason to ask you to move to a worse seat if even only a slightly worse seat!! 

Yes.  Also sometimes people have different views on what is a better seat.  I always like an aisle seat and will sometimes book an objectively worse seat if it gives me an aisle where I want one and am not inclined to move from a seat I've carefully selected.  

I think you have no obligation to move from your seat and they should have moved if they wanted.  

• Like 5

I’m an aisle person too….ever since I had my one and only terrible coughing fit when at Sadlers Wells sat right in the middle of one of their long rows!! 
Ever since I like to be at the very end of an aisle even if not quite so central etc. 

• Like 3

I was at the performance of Swan Lake last night, which was stunning, and I hope I can get some time to write a few words about it on the appropriate thread.  However, after a magnificent performance the curtain calls were completely ruined for me.  I had treated myself to a very expensive seat in the front row of the stalls circle, as I knew I would only be able to get to see it once and decided to give myself one of the best views in the house.  It was truly sensational, but at the end, a lot of people in the stalls got up to leave.  Ok, nothing wrong with that, as they might have had trains to catch.  What was completely unacceptable was that instead of leaving, several of these people stood at the top of the stairs, gossiping and completely blocking my view.  Not only that, but those that were actually trying to leave then gathered around them, making the situation even worse.  Even when I stood up I could not see over the head of a very tall man and an equally tall lady, both holding their phones up high in order to capture the moment.  Her position was perfect; standing right where the artists come out in front of the curtain.  All I got could see was the back of her phone.  I cannot tell you how angry I was.  This was a magical performance, and I wanted to see two magnificent artists take their curtseys, and applaud them.  I did NOT want to see selfish individuals jumping the queue to leave, but loitering to get a few photos.  

By the way, did I say HOW ANGRY I WAS?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I was at the performance of Swan Lake last night, which was stunning, and I hope I can get some time to write a few words about it on the appropriate thread.  However, after a magnificent performance the curtain calls were completely ruined for me.  I had treated myself to a very expensive seat in the front row of the stalls circle, as I knew I would only be able to get to see it once and decided to give myself one of the best views in the house.  It was truly sensational, but at the end, a lot of people in the stalls got up to leave.  Ok, nothing wrong with that, as they might have had trains to catch.  What was completely unacceptable was that instead of leaving, several of these people stood at the top of the stairs, gossiping and completely blocking my view.  Not only that, but those that were actually trying to leave then gathered around them, making the situation even worse.  Even when I stood up I could not see over the head of a very tall man and an equally tall lady, both holding their phones up high in order to capture the moment.  Her position was perfect; standing right where the artists come out in front of the curtain.  All I got could see was the back of her phone.  I cannot tell you how angry I was.  This was a magical performance, and I wanted to see two magnificent artists take their curtseys, and applaud them.  I did NOT want to see selfish individuals jumping the queue to leave, but loitering to get a few photos.  

By the way, did I say HOW ANGRY I WAS?

Ugh 😩.... my sympathies, Fonty. One downside of seeing very popular dancers is that you can get some extreme behaviour (or what might be tactfully described as "over enthusiastic") during the curtain calls, including picture taking in aisles or in front of the stairs. The culprits don't realise they're blocking other patrons as nobody appears to be sitting immediately behind them. They believe they're considerate as well as securing an unimpeded camera angle but unfortunately in a rounded seating configuration, they will be blocking patrons further away.

The most effective and speedy solution in those situations is to leave your own seat quickly (if standing up still results in a blocked view) and move to somewhere else where you can see.  There's simply not enough time to try to walk round to them to get their attention or to find an usher to ask them to help resolve it (you can, but the curtain calls/red runs will be finished by then). I've seen this happen in the Amphitheatre and the Stalls Circle quite often. Actually, nobody is supposed to stand on the top of the stairs like these folk did - they're blocking an emergency exit. In the past ushers would tell them either to leave or to return to their seats but not to remain there because it is a safety hazard. However, nowadays......

I've also experienced two instances when an usher was the one standing on the staircase (once at ROH, once at Sadler's Wells) when the overture was playing (!) and the curtain went up ...I did wonder if they were going to spend the entire Act standing there and blocking our view of the dancing! Luckily they both eventually moved after putting a few of us in our section through some stress (and tickets were not cheap either.....).

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Fonty said:

What was completely unacceptable was that instead of leaving, several of these people stood at the top of the stairs, gossiping and completely blocking my view.  Not only that, but those that were actually trying to leave then gathered around them, making the situation even worse.  Even when I stood up I could not see over the head of a very tall man and an equally tall lady, both holding their phones up high in order to capture the moment. 

That really is poor.  I mean, if you need to go, then EXIT quickly and get out of people's way!  Unfortunately, I've noticed similar happening in the Orchestra Stalls quite a lot: people get up to make their way out, but then Damme they don't go!  Just stand in the middle of the stalls.  And of course when I'm already standing in the Stalls Circle I can't do anything to elevate myself further once row C starts standing up :(

• Like 4

First-timers used to a simple single curtain call at a theatre who make to leave the ROH at that point can be caught out like rabbits in headlights when the multiple curtain raises and red runs happen.

Considerate patrons will sit again or move to stand where the view of others isn’t obstructed. 
Non-thinking patrons just stand and gawp. IMHO the latter are in the majority.

• Like 3

@alison  There was an usher there at one point, but she didn't seem to move people along.  I wonder if there is someone to write to at the ROH about this?  As you say, if you push past people in order to get out early then leave.  Don't block the exit.  Having said that, would ushers do anything about it, other than stand on the stair and still block the view themselves?  They can hardly yank people by the arm and tell them to go, so I suppose they are restricted in what they can actually do.  

@Emeralds I would have got out of my seat had I realised quickly enough that my view would be blocked.  Unfortunately, I was wedged in and two of the people in my row had mobility issues, so even if I had asked them to move, by the time I got to the aisle I would probably have missed most of it anyway.  

• Like 2

@Fonty, you can write to the head of Visitor Experience, Samantha Potts. It is actually unsafe to have people standing in front of the stairs.

In the past, the ushers would have been insistent that those blocking the exit move - not by pulling them away on the arm, but if they were trying to take pictures, then making it impossible (eg blocking their shot) to do it from there, and persisting till they moved. There are ways to move people politely but firmly when they are presenting a hazard to others.

Of course, as you were unlucky and already wedged in and unable to get past to get a better view, it would have been impossible for you to find a front of house manager to move those people from the stairs in time. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I went to Lucia di Lammermoor on Friday night and enjoyed the performance a lot, however a bit perturbed by the middle aged man in the stalls circle who seemed to feel the need to blatantly record specific parts on his phone. It didn’t directly obscure my view at all and I couldn't be bothered to get into any altercations, so I didn’t report it. Quite irritating though.

On the Saturday matinée of Swan Lake there was an older couple a few seats down from me in the front row of the orchestra stalls. They blatantly talked through quite a lot of the opening waltz/Siegfried’s sisters/Benno solo, just very casually, even laughing, like they were sitting in the sofa in their living room. I gathered that they were probably ROH first-timers, but even so?!

Luckily, just before the Act 2 transition, I think the man in between me and them told them to be quiet, and a few people from behind shushed them. Thank the lord, they shut up through the rest of the performance. But really, I’m not sure how anyone could think talking during a performance is acceptable, especially when you are in the front row of all things…

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
On 04/05/2024 at 18:28, art_enthusiast said:

He then said in rather a disgruntled tone to his friend - "Stay where you are, she won't move down" and then Act 3 started, so I couldn't really hear them after that. (They did speak a bit during Acts 1 and 2, making a few comments on the dancing - it was a bit annoying as I'd rather people didn't speak until the interval, but I ignored it as it wasn't too disruptive).

I was a bit confused by this interaction. His disgruntled and entitled tone insinuated that I should have moved down into the empty, no longer occupied seats and let his friend have my seat. I'm not sure why his friend couldn't have just got up and walked around me to sit in one of the empty seats. He had three to choose from and it's not a particularly taxing thing to do.

If the friend had some sort of disability or other reason for taking my seat at the end he could have explained that, but didn't. (And even so, I paid for that seat specifically so... it would still be a bit of an imposition). Quite bizarre really.

We were also in SC A100/99 for The Winter's Tale last night....fortunately no-one asked us to move, although rather cheekily a chap did come and sit on the aisle step just behind A100 during the first two Acts....presumably he had a standing ticket but thought this preferable! 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yesterday at The Barbican for Ballet Black's new double bill.  Half way through the first piece two latecomers were admitted, one from each side, one into our row and the other into a row further forward.  Needless to say, both had seats in the middle of their respective rows.  The Barbican Theatre is famous for its comfortable sofa-style seating and ample leg room which allows people to remain seated while someone else passes in front of them, but the disruption was marked and very annoying.

Lovely programme, though!

Edited by AnneMarriott
add a missing word
  • Like 2