Royal Ballet’s The Nutcracker Winter 2021/22

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was quite a difference in the Act 2 cast list that I screencapped at 1740 to the actual performance (and the cast list which appears now).

I don't know whether the absence of a single dancer causes a domino effect on casting but compare and contrast:

Old

51730038057_a24fa1c724_b.jpg

New

51731501649_7831b4b5e8_b.jpg

Edited by Rob S

2 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I don't know whether the absence of a single dancer causes a domino effect on casting but compare and contrast:

yes, the 'domino effect' often comes into play, if different ranked dancers asked to step in. For example, say a first artist goes down injured or ill. The only available person to step in may be a soloist. So they step into a role they know, replacing someone else who can dance the first artist's role. I think they then try to balance it out later, such that the person 'bumped' does get to dance the role they were bumped from x number of times, so we get further subs later on 'due to injury'...

• Like 1

Melissa Hamilton has appeared twice as a leading flower. I’m not aware of any other first soloists being cast in this role. Yes, there may be injuries , but, without meaning to appear rude, her opportunities to get her teeth into anything ‘meaty’ seem  to be rapidly declining .

• Like 3

I see that the cast list for this afternoon's schools' matinee (no, I don't have anything better to do than read cast lists for performances I'm not attending!) has Fumi Kaneko substituting for Tierney Heap as the Sugar Plum Fairy. Presumably that means that unfortunately Heap still isn't fully recovered. Also David Yudes substituting for Joshua Junker as Hans-Peter/Nutcracker. There seem to be an awful lot of Hans-Peter substitutions in this run.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Melissa Hamilton has appeared twice as a leading flower. I’m not aware of any other first soloists being cast in this role. Yes, there may be injuries , but, without meaning to appear rude, her opportunities to get her teeth into anything ‘meaty’ seem  to be rapidly declining .

That's a shame as she is extremely talented! Loved her performance in the Dante Project (I remember her getting a lot of applause) and the Giselle pas de six.

• Like 7

The elderly gentleman who normally 'pushes' Columbine off stage and then wields the candelabra was missing from tonight's perfomance for the first time I can remember (last year's version excepted). Daichi Ikarashi was a worthy substitute,  but........

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

Happy to read all the reports, sadly we don't have Nutcracker in Berlin for this Christmas season.😭 so ENJOY, everyone.❤

Sabine! It’s on at the UCI Mercedes Platz on December 9th Thursday - bought my ticket today! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, capybara said:

The elderly gentleman who normally 'pushes' Columbine off stage and then wields the candelabra was missing from tonight's perfomance for the first time I can remember (last year's version excepted). Daichi Ikarashi was a worthy substitute,  but........

I do hope he’s OK….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

He’s been in two of the four performances I’ve seen, one being last night, maybe he’s gone part time. 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, prs59 said:

Can I also say how great it was to see Téo Debreuil back fully (?) dancing again. Up to now, he’s been onstage as the Captain and gently doing the group dances in Act 1. Last night he went full throttle into the Spanish dance.  💃🏻 🕺🏻 

Absolutely agree.

50 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Thanks. 
Ive been following her since her Prix de Lausanne blog ( before they started streaming it) and had a feeling she would go far one day. She has a lovely stage presence. 

Agree.  As I said in the Giselle thread, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see her on the Principals list one day.  Here's hoping!

• Like 4

On 07/12/2021 at 01:13, alison said:

Ah, so there was a Nutcracker tonight!  I couldn't persuade the ROH calendar to confirm that.

I now see what you mean, the ROH website shows there are no events except a few streams😲

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I now see what you mean, the ROH website shows there are no events except a few streams😲

yes, there seems to be a fault at the ROH website. I thought it was me this morning when I was going to check availabilty in the new year (as I'd previously looked for/at the stream listing last time I was on there). I tried to delete history and cookies, and tried another browser, etc to no avail, and was about to ask the forum if it was just me - but before I could, a message popped up saying they were having problems. Or rather, STILL having problems

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

a message popped up saying they were having problems. Or rather, STILL having problems

I first noticed the following message early today (it might well have been there since yesterday):

Our internet services provider is currently experiencing technical difficulties that affect our website and others around the world. Please do not call the Box Office, but bear with us and we hope this will be resolved soon.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

it definitely appeared this morning - AFTER I'd gone through the rigmarole of trying to reset my roh website 'presence'

Just as well Nutcracker pretty much sold out already...

And also good to have your own personal list of upcoming events as they don't show on the website either...nor do cast lists

• Like 1

I'm still having problems with the ROH website since it was corrupted on the last Friends booking day, I've tried changing the cookie settings but nothing helps. I never have been able to get into My Account again, sometimes I can book tickets  and sometimes I can't, I've tried changing my password several times but all to no avail!  

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

I first noticed the following message early today (it might well have been there since yesterday):

Our internet services provider is currently experiencing technical difficulties that affect our website and others around the world. Please do not call the Box Office, but bear with us and we hope this will be resolved soon.

I work in the technical field so I understand how unpredictable and complex these things are. However, I think maybe the ROH should switch their services provider, because technical difficulties do seem to be quite prevalent on their website. (I've had upcoming events disappear for me before, and well maintained websites should not be prone to crashing due to numbers of visitors).

Given that mostly everyone accesses their tickets digitally now, it is important that people are able view current bookings and upcoming events digitally without difficulty. (Indeed, printing something out and showing it is quite abnormal for many consumers now, and also leads to more spreading of variants!) It's simply part of the 21st century good customer service experience.

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I'm still having problems with the ROH website since it was corrupted on the last Friends booking day, I've tried changing the cookie settings but nothing helps. I never have been able to get into My Account again, sometimes I can book tickets  and sometimes I can't, I've tried changing my password several times but all to no avail!  

Have you tried clearing the cache (and then restarting the PC/laptop)? I think that's what put things right for me last month whereas just clearing cookies had no effect.

38 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Have you tried clearing the cache (and then restarting the PC/laptop)? I think that's what put things right for me last month whereas just clearing cookies had no effect.

You could also try using a different browser - and BTW, the ROH website is technically dreadful, so don't necessarily blame yourself. 

Edited by JennyTaylor
To add further comment
  • Like 2