Royal Ballet’s The Nutcracker Winter 2021/22

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Most of my ballet friends are not Forum members unfortunately! 
I suspect quite a lot of them think I’ve got a bit of a cheek reporting here lol! 

Why?  That's what the forum is for.....people who love ballet/dance to share the love with others.  And to learn a lot from others, as well!!  :)

So no cheek involved...

• Like 4

I was there last night, so lovely to see it return to 'normal' after the Covid version last year!

Anna-Rose was a lovely Clara, I especially liked her interactions with the White Lodge children; she danced the whole performance beautifully. I think there were some nerves from Joseph Sissens as the Nephew/Nutcracker (hadn't realised it was his debut) - some of the partnering in the pas de deux just before the snowflakes looked a patchy, but he seemed to have settled into the role for Act 2. 

They’ve kept the Covid version of the battle scene which I do prefer, but feel sad for the White Lodge students who will no longer get to perform in it. I think they've also kept a reduced number of snowflakes (could be imagining that), which I thought made that scene under-whelming – or maybe I’ve got used to seeing the massed ranks of the Willis….

Marianela Nunez & Vadim Muntagirov were as fabulous as expected – they dance together so beautifully and instinctively; a pure masterclass in a grand classical pas deux and technique, but then I love them both so could be biased!! The ‘new‘ Arabian dance was, to my eyes, nearly the same as previous years with just a few tweaks to make it into a pas de deux – Melissa Hamilton and Lukas B. Brændsrød danced it beautifully. It was also so lovely to see Yuhui Choe back on stage, such a musical dancer. William Bracewell was a stand out Rose Fairy cavalier – why he’s not a Principal yet is beyond me!!  Gary Avis was wonderful as Drosselmeyer, almost goes without saying!!

Wayne McGregor was also in the audience – would be very interested to hear what his thoughts were!

• Like 17

In reply Sim about Forum membership I think some people are just more private and don’t like the idea of public Forums per se.. ....my own partner ..not into ballet...would not dream of making his views more public even on things he knew a lot about! 
He gets fed up with me sometimes saying  “you’re not still spamming on that d****d Forum.....” 

Whereas I cant help myself lol! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LinMM said:

In reply Sim about Forum membership I think some people are just more private and don’t like the idea of public Forums per se.. ....my own partner ..not into ballet...would not dream of making his views more public even on things he knew a lot about! 
He gets fed up with me sometimes saying  “you’re not still spamming on that d****d Forum.....” 

Whereas I cant help myself lol! 

To each their own…but no-one should be criticised for posting on a forum such as this.  It’s educational, interesting and fun, as well as serious!  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Hmmm….sounds lovely yet still nothing from our members???!!!

I wonder if people are holding off for less familiar casts? Given O'Sullivan, Avis, Nunez & Muntagirov have all been appearing in their roles for years & were in the last cinecast, perhaps all the forum members who wanted to see them have already seen them in previous runs. I know my 2 Nutcracker bookings are in order to see dancers new to roles - Magri as the Sugar Plum Fairy & Pajdak as Clara - and I've probably seen far fewer Nutcrackers than most people on here.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Probably because so many have fallen down during Giselle.....😉

I think they've also kept a reduced number of snowflakes

apparently it has something to do with climate change, not so much snow as in previous years and the snowflakes have melted rather than settling on the ground

• Like 9

2 hours ago, EVWS said:

I I think they've also kept a reduced number of snowflakes (could be imagining that), which I thought made that scene under-whelming

At the rehearsal there were definitely fewer snowflakes than there have been in the past.  There were only 16 of them and I'm sure we used to have at least 24.

Edited by Bluebird

9 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

At the rehearsal there were definitely fewer snowflakes than there have been in the past.  There were only 16 of them and I'm sure we used to have at least 24.

Last year, to assist with social distancing and other COVID requirements and advice, changes were introduced, one of which was to reduce the number of snowflakes. 
I believe that at the time the current run was planned it was decided to continue with the changes

31 minutes ago, RobR said:

Last year, to assist with social distancing and other COVID requirements and advice, changes were introduced, one of which was to reduce the number of snowflakes. 
I believe that at the time the current run was planned it was decided to continue with the changes

I really hope that won't become permanent; the stage filled with snowflakes is a wonder to behold.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

A mix and match of topics, I know, but why on earth wasn't Bracewell cast as Albrecht?

Not enough ‘slots’. Principals are only getting two each this time.

So much talent at the top.

Actually, as a Bracewell admirer, I found his dancing in Nutcracker a treat but he didn’t seem to be wearing an appropriate ‘performance face’. He seemed to have a bit of a scowl on from where I was sitting.

Hee Hee perhaps doggy can sit in the wings or even take part lol....led on by one of the children perhaps!! 

Hope Osipova not too badly injured or perhaps just temporarily indisposed. 

Edited by LinMM

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

I don't understand why Snowflakes need to be limited to 16 if 27 Wilis are OK.

Indeed also considering we have a full audience auditorium as well. Seems a bit of a bizarre decision that doesn’t have any real rationale so hopefully this isn’t permanent. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, prs59 said:

We hope you are looking forward to seeing The Nutcracker on 25 November at 7.30pm.

Please be aware that the following cast change has been made: 

Natalia Osipova is replaced by Fumi Kaneko as the Sugar Plum Fairy.

in which case,  wonder who will be dog-sitting.....

Oh dear - that’s a shame. 

personally I would rather save my money for Giselle than Nutcracker. I would love to see Cinderella at Christmas for a change.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, prs59 said:

We hope you are looking forward to seeing The Nutcracker on 25 November at 7.30pm.

Please be aware that the following cast change has been made: 

Natalia Osipova is replaced by Fumi Kaneko as the Sugar Plum Fairy.

in which case,  wonder who will be dog-sitting.....

Very sorry to hear this - I specifically got a seat for this performance because I really wanted to see Natalia Osipova in this role, I've never seen her dance the Sugar Plum Fairy before (huge admirer of her work).
I think Fumi Kaneko is absolutely amazing but I already got a ticket to see her performance later in the run...
I understand this is last minute news and of course I really hope Natalia's injury isn't serious, wishing her the best recovery. I suppose exchanges aren't possible in the case of a last minute cast change? I'm unable to find any information about whether it's a possibility.

17 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Very sorry to hear this - I specifically got a seat for this performance because I really wanted to see Natalia Osipova in this role, I've never seen her dance the Sugar Plum Fairy before (huge admirer of her work).
I think Fumi Kaneko is absolutely amazing but I already got a ticket to see her performance later in the run...
I understand this is last minute news and of course I really hope Natalia's injury isn't serious, wishing her the best recovery. I suppose exchanges aren't possible in the case of a last minute cast change? I'm unable to find any information about whether it's a possibility.

No you can’t change a ticket for one change of cast…see item 1.2 of the ROH terms and conditions of sale:

https://www.roh.org.uk/policies/terms-and-conditions-of-sale