Royal Ballet’s The Nutcracker Winter 2021/22

15 minutes ago, Sim said:

No you can’t change a ticket for one change of cast…see item 1.2 of the ROH terms and conditions of sale:

https://www.roh.org.uk/policies/terms-and-conditions-of-sale

I understand - presumably it doesn't qualify as "substantial alteration" though it certainly counts as some kind of alteration.
Slightly unfair though, since the cast change was released outside of the 24 hour exchange window. If I'd known this was going to occur, I would definitely have exchanged  for a gift certificate.
I assume on the day resale is still possible, up until a certain point before the performance. They should really build an online feature on their website for ticket returns, as I've been on hold for at least 45 minutes every time I've tried to call the box office, and emails are unanswered. 

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can certainly understand your disappointment.  In the old days before mobiles and computers we wouldn’t know about a cast change until we arrived at the House…and often by an announcement just before curtain-up!  I had many big disappointments (including Pavarotti not showing up twice when I had tickets…I was lucky the third time!).  Getting a refund wasn’t an option…it’s a risk we take.   It’s just one of those things…we can never be sure that we are going to see who we pay to see.  

• Like 5

Hi Art_enthusiast, they will accept tickets for resale in exchange for a credit digital code, ie a digital voucher.

The fastest way to do it is to send an email to boxoffice@roh.org.uk with your order number, date and time of the performance and “tickets to return” or “ticket for return” in the title, then in your email briefly explain why. I think there may be a service charge of maybe £4 or £5 per ticket deducted off the credit value (not your credit card), but it’s better than not getting anything, or going reluctantly and feeling frustrated all evening, especially if your travel costs are expensive, or if you have to pay for a hotel stay too. 

Since you will presumably see another show in future, not getting the money back should not be a problem- it’ll feel like your tickets are cheaper next time! I’ve had to do this on the day of the show when a) we had flooding causing cancellation of trains and couldn’t actually get to Covent Garden and back that night, b) woke up with a fever and flu symptoms, c) friend tested positive for Covid the day before she was going to come to a matinee with us. If you phone, you are often asked to email anyway as proof in writing that you wish to do this. 

Alternatively you could go tonight and return your other ticket in the future, which may be less stressful- unless there was someone else in the later cast you wanted to see, and not just Fumi.

They don’t guarantee resale of course, but Nutcracker might stand a good chance of a resale. Good luck, whatever you decide! 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm wondering why I got a notification about the cast change in Giselle, people get notified about a change in Sugar Plum Fairy, but nobody bothered to let me know about the change to Hans-Peter ...

Perhaps because it was noted on the website (at least) 10 days before opening night and they assumed everyone had seen it? Or more likely they don't consider anyone other than the SPF/Prince a "major cancelation". 

Edited by oncnp

Leo Dixon now replaces Benjamin Ella tonight as Hans-Peter/Nutcracker, who had himself been scheduled as a replacement for Valentino Zucchetti. Both Benjamin and Valentino are still listed for later performances, eg as the Prince. If I remember correctly this makes tonight a delayed debut from last year in the role for Leo? (Or was his one of the very earliest shows before restrictions closed Nutcracker early? I remember being disappointed that even the livestream got cancelled!) 

16 hours ago, LinMM said:

Hee Hee perhaps doggy can sit in the wings or even take part lol....led on by one of the children perhaps!! 

Hope Osipova not too badly injured or perhaps just temporarily indisposed. 

According to her IG too ill to perform and hopes to be back next week. Also presumably out of the Ballet Icons Gala on Friday. 

Given the number of replacements recently I wonder if there is a bug running through the company. 

11 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I understand - presumably it doesn't qualify as "substantial alteration" though it certainly counts as some kind of alteration.
Slightly unfair though, since the cast change was released outside of the 24 hour exchange window. If I'd known this was going to occur, I would definitely have exchanged  for a gift certificate.
I assume on the day resale is still possible, up until a certain point before the performance. They should really build an online feature on their website for ticket returns, as I've been on hold for at least 45 minutes every time I've tried to call the box office, and emails are unanswered. 

Can't you go to this one and exchange the Fumi ticket you have for later in the run instead?

11 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Hello Art_enthusiast and welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1

Well, I thought I wasn't ready for the Nutcracker, being completely zoned in on Giselle, but from the moment tears started welling at the opening bars of the overture, I was lost.  What an exquisite performance this afternoon from all the dancers. What a joy, crowned by a 95th birthday celebration at the end for Sir Peter Wright.  Yes, I do hope there are some photos.  

I can only heap praise on all the principals who gave immaculate performances. Tears came again in Act 1 when the tree grew and also with the Hans-Peter / Clara pdd.  The glorious music plays such a part in this emotional experience in addition to what's happening on stage.  

Gary Avis, his cloak and his glitter commanded the stage. It must be exhausting to play that part!  So much energy goes into it plus there are so many times when physical objects can go wrong.  Marianela and Vadim - perfection in the technically demanding dancing and Anna-Rose and Joe Sissens very much a couple now.

Wonderful

• Like 12

23 hours ago, capybara said:

Not enough ‘slots’. Principals are only getting two each this time.

So much talent at the top.

Actually, as a Bracewell admirer, I found his dancing in Nutcracker a treat but he didn’t seem to be wearing an appropriate ‘performance face’. He seemed to have a bit of a scowl on from where I was sitting.

I'm happy to report that he was wearing an appropriate performance face today. All is well with the world. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I'm happy to report that he was wearing an appropriate performance face today. All is well with the world. 

I completely agree, Jenny, and I came on here to say as much.

Bracewell shone in the male foursome just as I recall him doing in Theme and Variations in Birmingham when I said to my companion: “If you’re a male dancer, it’s best not to be on stage with children, dogs or William Bracewell”!!!

A simply lovely show today was made all the more wonderful by the appearance on stage of Sir Peter Wright, for his 95th birthday.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

Wonderful photos ! Thank you Rob S !

Yes, and an unusual opportunity to see some up-close detail on parts of the sets and costumes we might not usually see, too :) 

I was lost for words to describe Nunez and Muntagirov this afternoon - possibly just as well, since the on-train wifi didn't seem to want to let me post.

But since the birthday celebrations left me probably a bit tight to catch my train, I treated myself to a piece of cake in the cafe in honour of Sir Peter's birthday.

• Like 11

23 hours ago, Shade said:

personally I would rather save my money for Giselle than Nutcracker. I would love to see Cinderella at Christmas for a change.

Indeed. Particularly as Giselle is cheaper! (Not that it is cheap but Nutcracker tickets are feeling a bit silly proportionately.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnticaFiamma said:

It's a bit dodgy that Kevin O'Hare announced that Fumi is stepping in for Osipova but didn't even mention Leo Dixon. I know he's nowhere near as famous as she is, but it's literally the title role!

The announcements are made for Principals.

Leo’s debut as Hans Peter crept forward twice - my ticket purchases can’t keep pace. But what a season he’s having - seemingly ‘on’ in ‘name roles’ all the time!! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, capybara said:

Leo’s debut as Hans Peter crept forward twice - my ticket purchases can’t keep pace. But what a season he’s having - seemingly ‘on’ in ‘name roles’ all the time!! 

Yes, and very good in the Swan Lake number in the Ashton stream last night (as was Sissens, it goes without saying).

Thank you for the photos, RobS! I enjoy seeing them as much as the ballets! How lovely to have a photographic record of celebrations for Peter Wright- 95 years old and all those wonderful productions, and his work at Stuttgart, Covent Garden, Birmingham (and  when they were based at Sadlers Wells)...truly awesome. (I’m hoping there was more Nutcracker-themed cake backstage.😀)

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Thank you for the photos, RobS! I enjoy seeing them as much as the ballets! How lovely to have a photographic record of celebrations for Peter Wright- 95 years old and all those wonderful productions, and his work at Stuttgart, Covent Garden, Birmingham (and  when they were based at Sadlers Wells)...truly awesome. (I’m hoping there was more Nutcracker-themed cake backstage.😀)

I don't think the whole cake is edible, it's what they use during Act 1, the actual cake was the bit in front and did have candles on it which he blew out 🙂

• Like 4

7 hours ago, whatkindofbird said:

Would love to hear more about yesterday's (25th) performance from those who were there! 

I was there at the evening show – Peter Wright was still in attendance and Kevin O'Hare acknowledged both him and his birthday when he came to announce that Osipova would have not performed. Fumi Kaneko was just wonderful as the Sugar Plum Fairy and she had great chemistry with Reece Clark, who was also superb as the Prince. The grand pas de deux was really magnificent. But so was the whole cast, and I particularly enjoyed Calvin Richardson and Luca Acri in the Chinese dance. Leo Dixon made a lovely debut: he was (understandably) a little tentative in the first act, but really delightful in the second one – the mime and the Russian dance were exquisite.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

btw – how does it work with the portraits in the Drosselmeyer's workshop? Because I've definitely seen portraits of Luca Acri, Marcelino Sambé and Joseph Sissens, but last night it was clearly not Leo Dixon – maybe Alexander Campbell?

That's a good question - last year in the short run of the Nutcracker James Hay was performing but the picture certainly wan't him - it looked more like Sandi Toksvig!

• Like 6