Royal Ballet’s The Nutcracker Winter 2021/22

I was interested to see Lauren Cuthbertson post on Instagram today a video of her hair being sprayed with blonde colouring prior to dancing the SPF whereas in the photos Yasmine Naghdi posted of herself post-SPF on Monday she looks to be wigged. Does anyone know why there is this difference in achieving the required SPF hairstyle & which is the more popular option for the dancers?

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I was interested to see Lauren Cuthbertson post on Instagram today a video of her hair being sprayed with blonde colouring prior to dancing the SPF whereas in the photos Yasmine Naghdi posted of herself post-SPF on Monday she looks to be wigged. Does anyone know why there is this difference in achieving the required SPF hairstyle & which is the more popular option for the dancers?

I think I read somewhere that it's only LC who doesn't wear a wig for SPF, and it's just because she prefers it that way.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 3

On 07/12/2021 at 12:34, Odyssey said:

Melissa Hamilton has appeared twice as a leading flower. I’m not aware of any other first soloists being cast in this role. Yes, there may be injuries , but, without meaning to appear rude, her opportunities to get her teeth into anything ‘meaty’ seem  to be rapidly declining .

I’m hoping to see her in lead role of the new Kyle Abraham, as she was in the short excerpt earlier this year.   And she is cast to do Juliet in the next run of R&J.  

Also she does get international guesting opportunities … regularly with Roberto Bolle (seems to be his first choice of partner) and also in Russia.   She performed Cathy Marston’s “In Our Wishes” with Lukas BB in St Petersburg at the annual Dance Open Festival in November.  How I wish for some video of that! 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I’m hoping to see her in lead role of the new Kyle Abraham, as she was in the short excerpt earlier this year.   And she is cast to do Juliet in the next run of R&J.  

Also she does get international guesting opportunities … regularly with Roberto Bolle (seems to be his first choice of partner) and also in Russia.   She performed Cathy Marston’s “In Our Wishes” with Lukas BB in St Petersburg at the annual Dance Open Festival in November.  How I wish for some video of that! 

Yep, would love to see that.

Did she do Manon with Roberto Bolle? I saw a video on the ROH YouTube of her rehearsing Manon with Matthew Golding. I don't believe there's any recordings of that performance?

I suppose it's not possible to predict when she might be doing the Arabian Dance in the Nutcracker again? (After tonight). I'm going in a few weeks and I was hoping to see her in that role, or as the Rose Fairy.

Edited by art_enthusiast

3 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Yep, would love to see that.

Did she do Manon with Roberto Bolle? I saw a video on the ROH YouTube of her rehearsing Manon with Matthew Golding. I don't believe there's any recordings of that performance?

There is usually only one recording each run (and sometimes none).  That year the Manon relay may have been Sarah Lamb and Vadim Muntagirov.  

I’m not aware that she has done a full length with Roberto Bolle … that tends to be Marianela Nunez.  Melissa tends to do the modern pdd with Roberto at his gala shows.  

Edited by FionaE
Correcting myself
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Such a shame! But of course recovery is most important.

Do you know who might be standing in for him?

RB might probably be playing rock/paper/scissors to decide who goes on instead.... 😉

that's what makes Nutcracker season interesting, the uncertainty of who will actually dance on the day/night....  it also tends to throw up some 'scratch' pairings which one might never have got to see otherwise.  we've already had Reece (Clarke) & Fumi (Kaneko).

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, prs59 said:

RB might probably be playing rock/paper/scissors to decide who goes on instead.... 😉

that's what makes Nutcracker season interesting, the uncertainty of who will actually dance on the day/night....  it also tends to throw up some 'scratch' pairings which one might never have got to see otherwise.  we've already had Reece (Clarke) & Fumi (Kaneko).

Yes sure - I'm guessing it won't be William Bracewell, as he's already on that day!

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Vadim Muntagirov - now updated on the ROH website. A real shame for McRae, hopefully he recovers quickly. But Lamb and Muntagirov are a really nice partnership too. 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Vadim Muntagirov was an elegant and chivalrous Florimund to Sarah Lamb’s Aurora in 2016 (and Romeo to her Juliet in other seasons) so I’m really interested in seeing how they will interpret their roles together in Nutcracker. 

Commiserations to Steven McRae, who said on his social media accounts that while they did complete a full run through in rehearsals, his calf muscle which was strained at one rehearsal isn’t ready so he won’t be doing Nutcracker this season at all. No indication yet at this point if Vadim will dance on 18th as well as 10th or whether it will just be 10th only. Speedy recovery to Steven ! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

man alive, I'd love to have seen THAT performance!

They were very sweet together, Dave! He really looked like he was trying to take the best care of her. I think he looked more nervous for her, while she looked completely at ease and totally in (gracious) command of the Kingdom of Sweets. But they were both lovely that evening. I’d like to see them together in Sleeping Beauty, Romeo and Juliet or Sylvia one day. I missed their SB in 2019! 

• Like 2

I'm enjoying tonight's live relay....although not exactly live since it started at 19.50.

The camera work could be a lot better thought.  The screen is a 3/4 full of the back drop when I would rather see the dancers feet....🙄

Let's hope act 2 is better. 🤞🏽

• Like 2

Just got to say I was there tonight and my word Yasmine Nagdhi was a stunning SPF ❤️❤️❤️ Every little flourish of the music interpreted perfectly. She even made those odd steps in middle of dance of spf look effortless and elegant (sorry idk what they’re called as I’m a newbie but it looked like she was moving all her arms & legs at once during a jump 🤷‍♀️)Pure magic. 

• Like 6

It was late starting in the opera house not sure as much as 20 mins but defo not on time. We assumed somebody somewhere was making a speech to camera for the cinema audience. 
Glad you got Ticket in the end Sim

I just got in soaked ....bl**** weather️ no umbrella with me 😳

Show was absolutely lovely hope to say a bit tomorrow but need a cuppa right now!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Just got to say I was there tonight and my word Yasmine Nagdhi was a stunning SPF ❤️❤️❤️ Every little flourish of the music interpreted perfectly. She even made those odd steps in middle of dance of spf look effortless and elegant (sorry idk what they’re called as I’m a newbie but it looked like she was moving all her arms & legs at once during a jump 🤷‍♀️)Pure magic. 

They are called gargouillards and I agree, Yasmine made them look good!  She was so lovely as SPF.  Musical, benevolent and gloriously classical.  

• Like 3

Loved so much of the cinema relay … the always charming Isabella Gasparini as Clara, lovely smooth and sweet Luca as HansPeter with excellent mime storytelling.  Gorgeous atmosphere in the Arabian - Melissa Hamilton and Lukas BB.  Incredible spiral jumps and all round jumpiness from Calvin Richardson and Leo Dixon in the Chinese.  Very jolly Trepak with its awkward moves from Harrison Lee and Joonhyuk Jun.  So good to see Yuhui Choe sparkling as the Rose Fairy, less than a year after giving birth.  Loved Christopher Saunder’s Drosselmeyer … came over as a lovely gentle caring person.  Yasmine was almost perfect (whipping foot in the fouettés should be neater), but everything else was superb … her poise, her mastery of the choreography, her interaction with all on stage.  Benevolence is the right word.  Just beautiful and serene.  And her musicality .. wonderful how she never looks rushed.  In command.  

Really liked the fight scene between dancers of the company.  Is it shorter than pre-pandemic version?  Or am I imagining things.

Act 2 camera work was so much better!

Thank goodness as I didn't want to miss anything especially not Yasmine Naghdi's wonderful performance.  My god what a ballerina! A credit to her wonderful training and her natural born talent. KoH should be proud of her and I hope she is invited to perform with POB and Mariinsky as her pure classical style, so technically proficient would be amazing to see on those famous stages, an example of excellence and the English style.  I could rave on forever about her amazing technique, that I imagine some of her colleagues aspire to perform.But I have to mention Miss Naghdi's musicality - this is a talent that one is born with, yes you can learn it to a certain extent.  But those wonderfully musical dancers that we see occasionally are rare, but mirrored  with her brilliant, pure classicism, we are witnessing a very special ballerina, 

I for one am grateful every single time I am lucky to see her dance. I said the same when I saw Seymour,  Sibley and Durante and now we have Yasmine Naghdi  - happy days....🌟

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Nutcracker was sheer delight from beginning to end yesterday  no doubt helped by sitting in the best seat have done for years now in Row A in the Stalls Circle.....I certainly could get used to this!! 
Maybe a treat a couple of times a year.

Isabella Gasparini was a real star as Clara perfectly capturing the essence of that borderline between childhood and adulthood. She definitely deserves a shot at Juliet I think she’d be fab in the role.
Luca Acri was a fine Nutcracker and definitely seems to generally be becoming a more stylish dancer. Another dancer who caught my eye in the first act was Stanislaw Wegrzyn as Clara’s partner who had an interesting stage presence and would like to see more of him. 
Snowflakes weaved it’s usual magical spell except I wasn’t sure where the choir was as couldn’t see them so I thought either they were in the deep recesses of the orchestra pit or it was a recording? As it had an echoey quality to it which it doesn’t usually anyway didn’t have that fullness of sound ringing out that is so evocative of this piece. 
Needless to say Naghdi and Corrales were superb in the final pas de deux. Naghdi so gracious and somehow supremely confident in her every move another dancer who finds so much time in the music so always perfectly in control. A real delight of a Sugar Plum Fairy. It’s a while since I’ve seen Naghdi so will try to see more often. 
I almost didn’t recognise Cesar in his Costume and don’t think it particularly suited him but the choreography did so some fine dancing from him  with some super fast jete turns at one point. 
The waltz of the flowers can seem interminable sometimes but was beautifully danced last night and the dancers seemed to be enjoying it too. Great to see Joseph Aumeer in this ....another dancer would like to see more of ....and a dancer newish to me Francisco Serrano accompanied by Joe Sissens and David Donnelly so a bit of a treat of male cohorts!  Yuhui Choe was the Rose Fairy a relaxed and charming performance so typical of her not a showy dancer but always pleasant to look at. 
All the Kingdom of Sweet dances were really well and joyously performed and we had probably the best Arabian pair in Melissa Hamilton and Lukas Braendsrod. 
It was one of those Nutcracker evenings I didn’t want to end as wanted to stay in the magical Christmas comfort of it all so a really lovely evening but the main star of the evening for me yesterday was Isabella Gasparini. 
And a very very belated Thankyou to Tchaikovsky for that wonderful score. 

• Like 13