Royal Ballet’s The Nutcracker Winter 2021/22

It’s only meant to be a temporary Covid precaution to avoid thick crowds in the foyers and amphi corridors gathering to eat ice creams. It’s actually not even ideal as people would be taking off their masks and breathing in as well as discharging potentially contagious aerosols into the auditorium.

What would be very nice to raise money for the ROH would be more sale points to sell a small selection of ROH merchandise, especially diaries, souvenirs, DVDs, to discourage people giving away money to tax avoiding online behemoths. I’ve been trying to get the Royal Ballet DVDs of Coppélia and The Cellist- I don’t want to pay for it to be delivered when I’m actually in the ROH several times. Fingers crossed I will be able to beat the crowds next time. 🙂

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

The full cast lists are now on the production pages for tonight's and Saturday's performances:

December 16 7.30pm

I’m a bit surprised to see the Sat evening one already up, as Steven McRae, who is normally efficient and helpful with casting updates, has not said that his calf muscle has healed miraculously quickly in order to allow him to dance in two days......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I’m a bit surprised to see the Sat evening one already up, as Steven McRae, who is normally efficient and helpful with casting updates, has not said that his calf muscle has healed miraculously quickly in order to allow him to dance in two days......

In fact he implied last week that he wouldn't be doing Nutcracker at all this year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bridiem said:

In fact he implied last week that he wouldn't be doing Nutcracker at all this year.

I agree, bridiem, his pronouncement seemed pretty final, hence my puzzlement. I occasionally click on to see if Vadim’s name has appeared, or whether it will be a new Prince! 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

The full cast lists are now on the production pages for tonight's and Saturday's performances:

Saturday December 18 7pm

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/l7lay

I really do need a ticket for this, even if it's just to see Giacomo Rovero be Grandfather and Clara's partner at the same time😄

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I really do need a ticket for this, even if it's just to see Giacomo Rovero be Grandfather and Clara's partner at the same time😄

Lol! I think someone who does the cast lists believes it’s 1st of April! 

I saw some tickets right in the middle of the grand tier for £135, but they are rubbish for red run photos. 

Word has it that the cast sheets on the ROH site really are subject to change.

I think that we should expect to see Mr O'Hare making front of curtain announcements before the shows.

Incidentally, there appear to be a lot of returned tickets for the three remaining performances this week.

Edited by capybara

35 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Speak for yourself!

We need to see some of bangorballetboy’s photos from the middle of the Grand Tier, back row (which was where these were).  😀 They’d be good for a wide angle shot of the whole company onstage, though. 

19 minutes ago, LinMM said:

A red run photo 🤔 the mind boggles! 
Does this strictly mean if you are in SC or SCS dashing down to nearer the side of the stage at the end 

Those lovely ones that RobS posts for us of the dancers in front of the red curtain at the end. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluebird said:

December 16 7.30pm

Just thought to double check tonight's casting.   There are a lot of  "replacements" which I don't think were there when I posted earlier.  I've pasted them in below:

Herr Drosselmeyer
Bennet Gartside
Replacement Herr Drosselmeyer
Gary Avis
Clara
Ashley Dean
The Nutcracker
Benjamin Ella
Replacement The Nutcracker
Leo Dixon
Sugar Plum Fairy
Francesca Hayward
Replacement Sugar Plum Fairy
Marianela Nuñez
Prince
Alexander Campbell
Replacement Prince
Reece Clarke
Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Word has it that the cast sheets on the ROH site really are subject to change.

I think that we should expect to see Mr O'Hare making front of curtain announcements before the shows.

Incidentally, there appear to be a lot of returned tickets for the three remaining performances this week.

Omicron panic...ourselves included. As it now transpires, we would not have been seeing the cast we booked for anyway...

Edited by Richard LH

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

We need to see some of bangorballetboy’s photos from the middle of the Grand Tier, back row (which was where these were).  😀 They’d be good for a wide angle shot of the whole company onstage, though. 

Have a look at my Instagram feed.  If you can see the dancers' feet, I've probably taken the picture from the grand tier.

• Like 1

The 'reliable' versions of cast sheets are posted under that heading at around 5.00pm daily.

Here is the one for tonight (16th December):

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/the-nutcracker-by-peter-wright/cast-list/48997 

Those for the two shows on the 18th which Bluebird found earlier seem to have been removed now.

Kevin O'Hare will, as anticipated, be making quite a few announcements front of curtain.

Sending 'get well' wishes to all the dancers who are unable to dance their show tonight. It must be hugely disappointing for them

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Fonty said:

Are ice creams allowed in the auditorium?  Why????  What next?  People slurping drinks through straws? 

Is this just for the Nutcracker, or will it be for every performance?  When I go to the ballet, I want to watch the ballet, not eat.  I can think of nothing more inappropriate than scooping up a bit of rum and raisin while  the Queen of the Willis makes her dramatic appearance.  Or licking thoughtfully on my plastic spoon while Odette steps on stage.

I wasn't aware that the rules had changed - the chap sitting next to me when I went to see Giselle a couple of weeks ago was eating his during the second act. Good job I didn't cause a fuss! Thankfully during his eating he wasn't able to sigh despondently as he had been during the rest of the performance as clearly he had been dragged there against his will!

• Like 2

I think that for the next week or two it's going to end up being pot luck as to who we see at any given Nut performance.  I am grateful to see anyone the way things are going, and luckily all the RB dancers are so fab that I won't feel disappointed with any cast change.

Get well indeed to all the dancers, and a huge thank you to those who are stepping in at the last minute, and to those behind the scenes who are working so hard to ensure that the company can continue to perform.

Does anyone know if the orchestra is being affected like this?

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Rob S said:

The way things are going, don't be surprised...much is being asked of the dancers at the moment!!  😄

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sim said:

Have I missed something about Frankie and bagpipes??!!

She posted on her IG stories - a bagpiper in the piazza outside her window. 

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Does anyone know if the orchestra is being affected like this?

A week or so ago, I heard from a member of the ROH orchestra that several players had been affected by Covid or the need to self-isolate and that there had had to be an amount of doubling up.

No news on the Omicron front specifically but the ENB pit looked more sparse than usual at last night's rehearsal and the Music Director (the incomparable Gavin Sutherland) was not conducting as per usual.

• Thanks 1

Considering the Lion King, Life of Pi, Hex, the RSC and many pantos have had to cancel shows due to many cast members being ill with Covid, reflecting the rising case numbers in the capital and the nation, the Royal Ballet is doing extremely well to be able to put its scheduled shows out so far without cancellations. One panto company had to close its entire season.  

I don’t know any of the ROH orchestra well enough to ask directly, but musician friends who work at or freelance at the major London orchestras say that they’ve had some cases of Covid, which has come in handy for freelancers and covers having the opportunity to take their place and get paid. There’s also a bit of a revolving door situation whereby once someone has recovered from Covid and finished their quarantine, they then go on to replace a colleague, or an associate in another orchestra who has fallen ill! Many orchestra musicians are also often members of more than one ensemble- you’re allowed as long as commitments don’t clash. 

I’m guessing there are lots of artists, first artists and soloists being prepped to cover some solo roles they might never have dreamed of dancing so soon, and quite a few first soloists and soloists being asked to re-rehearse a role they weren’t down to do this season, just in case they have to step in if the covers of the covers of the original cast member are ill with Covid! A bit of a possible “42nd Street” scenario! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4