Royal Ballet’s The Nutcracker Winter 2021/22

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that’s a shame prs59 ...I love the Almeida Theatre and it’s just around the corner from where I lived for 25 years!! 

I guess we do all have to be a bit more patient. I suppose having gone through this all last year not many of us thought we’d be in this exact same position again this year. 
Let’s hope it’s not for as long this time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Mayara Magri has just posted that she’s expecting to be Sugar Plum Fairy on 5/1 after isolating for 10 days! She seems to be replacing Claire Calvert 

I've just put that on the info. thread, Rob S. She's dancing with Ryoichi Hirano.

On 03/01/2022 at 22:58, Rob S said:

Mayara Magri has just posted that she’s expecting to be Sugar Plum Fairy on 5/1 after isolating for 10 days! She seems to be replacing Claire Calvert 

Oh! I really wanted to see her and Ryoichi before their performances were cancelled. I suppose there aren't any seats left though

Full cast for tonight, Jan 5, now on ROH website:

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/80k3a

Edited to add that casts for the other performances this week are also on the website. They're, presumably, all subject to change:

Jan 6: https://www.roh.org.uk/events/0tk5b

Jan 7 https://www.roh.org.uk/events/c8rhm

Jan 8 matinée https://www.roh.org.uk/events/wqpea

Jan 8 evening https://www.roh.org.uk/events/bj2li

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, alison said:

So, would someone like to summarise which of the scheduled performances in the main roles are now debuts, given all the cancellations?  Pajdak and O'Sullivan I know, but are any of the others?

Sambé is a debut too (he was originally scheduled to dance with O'Sullivan on 24th and 30th December).

Maeda was scheduled to debut Clara on 31 December.

Junker remain as a debut as originally scheduled (Allnat performed Clara earlier in December).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Other debuts I consider 'main roles' appear to be Gina Storm Jensen as Rose Fairy and Romany Pajdak in the Arabian dance (?)....and following on from the other Nutcracker thread I assume the soprano Haegee Lee hasn't done the Russian dance before 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Full cast for tonight, Jan 5, now on ROH website:

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/80k3a

Edited to add that casts for the other performances this week are also on the website. They're, presumably, all subject to change:

Well, something will have to change for tonight's cast because at the moment Thomas Mock is down for both the Spanish & Arabian dances! I'm also dubious about Benjamin Ella being down as the Soldier given he's being replaced as the Prince on Friday. Why would he be able to dance tonight if he can't dance then.

Well probably the soldier role is less demanding than the Prince role. 
Did you decide to go in the end? 
Am just arriving at Blackfriars! Everything normal on trains so far but better not divert this thread again...there is a transport thread somewhere!! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Well, something will have to change for tonight's cast because at the moment Thomas Mock is down for both the Spanish & Arabian dances! I'm also dubious about Benjamin Ella being down as the Soldier given he's being replaced as the Prince on Friday. Why would he be able to dance tonight if he can't dance then.

Ben Ella might not have had sufficient time to rehearse the grand pas de deux with Yuhui Choe: it is a very difficult piece.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Did you decide to go in the end? 
Am just arriving at Blackfriars! Everything normal on trains so far but better not divert this thread again...there is a transport thread somewhere!! 

Yes, I am going to go, assuming the trains decide to behave themselves come 5pm! Per your comment on the other Nutcracker thread, Magri's Swan Lake debut is a Friday evening, 11th March, & I'm already booked for it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, I am going to go, assuming the trains decide to behave themselves come 5pm! Per your comment on the other Nutcracker thread, Magri's Swan Lake debut is a Friday evening, 11th March, & I'm already booked for it.

😀

If you are using Thameslink, may I suggest City Thameslink rather than St. Pancras (provided it's before 11 o'clock).  It's significantly closer to the ROH and there are likely to be fewer people around compared to St. P's.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

If you are using Thameslink, may I suggest City Thameslink rather than St. Pancras (provided it's before 11 o'clock).  It's significantly closer to the ROH and there are likely to be fewer people around compared to St. P's.

Yes, I'm thinking about doing that on the way home. It'll depend on exactly what time the performance finishes. If the 2h50 running time is accurate then I'll have time enough to walk to St Pancras but if it finishes later then I'll probably go to City Thameslink instead.

The cast sheet is now up on the ROH website for tonight. Ella is not on it & Mock has been pinned down to one nationality!

24 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

are people still able to see tickets available for tonight? I can but am wary of the site's technical reliability

I don't know why you are wary.

There are plenty of tickets and the site is working perfectly well (I bought some tickets for tomorrow earlier).

• Like 1

Yesterday I said that I don't cry at The Nutcracker. I've just proved myself wrong by crying at Clara & the Nutcracker's pdd! I think it was because I was so pleased for Romany Pajdak that finally she's dancing Clara on stage, over a year after seeing the Insight stream of her rehearsing the role.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Then I cried again in the grand pas at seeing Mayara Magri make her debut. I give up!

Same. Mayara was amazing. And Ryoichi Hirano of course.

I also cried a bit when the Christmas tree was growing, I just love the music there.

Drosselmeyer at the end, seeing his nephew, was so moving.

• Like 9

I can still hardly believe how lucky I was to see tonight's (is it now last night's as it's now 4am?!) Nutcracker cast. My original Nutcracker plan involved booking both performances on 22nd December to see Mayara Magri debut as the Sugar Plum Fairy at the matinee & Romany Pajdak debut as Clara in the evening. When omicrom got going I cut myself down to just the matinee, then lost even that. Tonight as both of them debuted at the same performance so I got 2 for 1! I'm so pleased that both of them did finally get to make their debuts & I thought they both gave excellent performances.

This is the first time I've seen the production since the various recent changes have been made (indeed its only the second time I've seen the production live full stop). I prefer the Soliders & Mice being adults rather than children but am not so keen on the Arabian dance as a pdd.

I hesitate to post curtain call photos after @Rob S's as-usual-perfect ones but for once most of my photos actually came out in focus (apart from Drosselmeyer & his glitter) & they are, literally, a different angle to Rob's so:

P1510178.jpg

P1510173.jpg

P1510147.jpg

P1510151.jpg

P1510155.jpg

P1510156.jpg

P1510159.jpg

P1510164.jpg

P1510165.jpg

P1510170.jpg

P1510171.jpg

• Like 17