Royal Ballet’s The Nutcracker Winter 2021/22

37 minutes ago, capybara said:

Well, I've just been e-mailed to the effect that Fumi Kaneko will replace Yasmine Naghdi tomorrow afternoon (1.30pm) and Vadim Muntagirov will replace Steven McRae in the evening (7.00pm).

Also - it's that man again...........!!!! Leo Dixon will replace Benjamin Ella as Hans Peter.

The website hasn't caught up yet....it looks as if the SPF is dancing by herself. No Princes listed. 

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

What's worrying is how their entire website system is built - its failure shouldn't be dependent upon the absence of one or two people (especially not in this current day and age!). I'd be interested to know how they built the website, and how its format leads to things like this happening...

Must admit that was just a guess on my part; it could have just been a system crash due to too many people using it/glitch due to the new checkout system.  Glad it was resolved eventually . 🙂

I did think Leo Dixon had a real “matinee idol hero” look about him when he appeared in his debut as Hans Peter 😊. Looks like he’s come heroically to the rescue in different roles! I guess they decided to update the casting info quite quickly about Fumi Kaneko replacing Yasmine Naghdi, but weren’t sure about the Prince casting. They should use “TBA” (to be announced) as they always used to.  I wonder if Reece is sufficiently recovered enough from last night to do it tomorrow afternoon with Fumi?? After all, they have already danced it together a few weeks ago and make a sweet couple onstage too. 😊 The other option is Nicol Edmonds, if Fumi has already started rehearsing it with him for her original scheduled performances. Perhaps a bit of swapping around required in Arabian or Flowers.... 

For what it’s worth, I used to remember substitutions like this being extremely common in the late 80s- I remembered never ever getting the Romeo or the Juliet that was announced when I bought my tickets or even a month before the show! They still performed beautifully together and you couldn’t tell one was substituting for a colleague.  

Edited by Emeralds

A 100 plus tickets available now for both shows (in all parts of the House) when previously they were sold out.

I think that most of them were returned before the cast changes were announced?  And many other shows now have significant availability.

By the way, the name of one of the leading cast members is now missing from most dates so there is clearly a technical issue somewhere.

Edited by capybara

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Well, I've just been e-mailed to the effect that Fumi Kaneko will replace Yasmine Naghdi tomorrow afternoon (1.30pm) and Vadim Muntagirov will replace Steven McRae in the evening (7.00pm).

Also - it's that man again...........!!!! Leo Dixon will replace Benjamin Ella as Hans Peter.

its like having our very own Nutcracker Advent Calendar, not knowing who will be behind each day’s door ready and able to dance. Such fun 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Rob S said:

The Flowers are Romany Pajdak, Julia Roscoe, Nadia Mullova-Barley and Isabel Lubach

For a moment I considered looking back at your photos to see what was so special about the flowers that they couldn't be identified.  I mean they're usually roses or carnations aren't they?

Yes I am tired.....🙄😴😴😴

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Lovely performance from the four leads tonight.  The whole evening really cheered me up.  

I was imagining Ashley Dean as a future Juliet.  

It was indeed. It really felt as though Christmas was here at last, with that extra little touch of magic from start to finish. A glorious Clara, one of those 'can't take your eyes off her' performances from Ashley Dean in a shimmering, sparkling, joyous confection of feelgood Yuletide cheer.

• Like 6

I was there for the 1.30pm performance yesterday it was Matthew Ball as the prince with Fumi Kaneko. They were amazing together huge cheers from the audience. And Isabella Gasparini as Clara was absolute perfection - so beautiful and expressive. She really conveyed a sense of childlike wonder and raw emotion.  I’ve been three times this season now (think I’m developing an addiction 😂) and it’s been really interesting to see the energies different dancers bring to the role of SPF.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

I was there for the 1.30pm performance yesterday it was Matthew Ball as the prince with Fumi Kaneko. They were amazing together huge cheers from the audience. And Isabella Gasparini as Clara was absolute perfection - so beautiful and expressive. She really conveyed a sense of childlike wonder and raw emotion.  I’ve been three times this season now (think I’m developing an addiction 😂) and it’s been really interesting to see the energies different dancers bring to the role of SPF.

I see it was just the Sugar Plum Fairy role that needed covering from the original cast and not the Prince’s- I still think the person doing the cast changes on the website is either getting to grips with the software or pranking us by not updating it with information or deletions that are already well known, or putting in illogical entries....glad Aiden O’Brien turned out to be the one portraying Grandfather in the end, so that Giacomo Rovero didn’t have to be both Clara’s partner as well as her grandfather. Those double tours are a bit hazardous to attempt in a wheelchair. 😂

Glad you are enjoying Nutcracker so much, Angela! I think the company and the orchestra are really putting their all into it, and performing each show as if it were their last (and each one could well be, given the spectre of restrictions looming every day). I felt that with the two I attended with very different casts- very different qualities and energies but both really marvellous and outstanding. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Fonty said:

There seem to be so many people imagining the dancer performing Clara as a future Juliet.  I was just thinking, is it because the costume and hairstyle is similar?  

For me, Ashley Dean’s breakout role/performance was in Crystal Pite’s The Statement this summer, where she showed she could hold her own dramatically alongside experienced colleagues.

Previously I’d only seen her as the doll Coppelia or one of the many “friends of the female lead” type roles or in the corps de ballet, where you have to blend in, but suddenly here she was, projecting a powerful personality across the lights, showing how different her character was to the other three in this demanding piece. I didn’t think of Juliet at all when I saw her on 10 Dec - too busy enjoying her performance as Clara - but I agree with others that she has potential to be an outstanding Juliet. 

• Like 3

I have seen Ashley Dean twice now as Clara and I thought that, last night, she had added more interpretative layers to her already excellent portrayal.

I first noticed her properly in Flight Pattern (there was something about her face which drew my eye even though she wasn't near the front) and have sort of 'followed her' since then. It's been great to watch her progress and I agree with others' assessment of her in The Statement.

There are quite a number of 'Juliets-in-waiting' at the RB. I think that Romany Pajdak and Isabella Gasparini have had several mentions on here? But, by the time R&J returns to the rep. (and I don't mean for the 15 further performances in the New Year), Ashley must surely have a good chance of being cast.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Emeralds said:
24 minutes ago, Fonty said:

For me, Ashley Dean’s breakout role/performance was in Crystal Pite’s The Statement this summer, where she showed she could hold her own dramatically alongside experienced colleagues.

I didn’t see her in The Statement, Emeralds, but last night she showed that she can act as well as she can dance, with an engaging characterisation and little touches that I hadn’t seen with other Claras that put her own stamp on the role. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fonty said:

There seem to be so many people imagining the dancer performing Clara as a future Juliet.  I was just thinking, is it because the costume and hairstyle is similar?  

No, not for me.  I can look beyond the costume and hairstyle!   Last night when Ashley was mourning over the “body” of the Nutcracker I had a vision of her mourning over the body of Romeo, such was the depth of that moment.  An excellent dance actress is emerging from this lovely dancer. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Sim said:

No, not for me.  I can look beyond the costume and hairstyle!   Last night when she was mourning over the “body” of the Nutcracker I had a vision of her mourning over the body of Romeo, such was the depth of that moment.  An excellent dance actress is emerging from this lovely dancer. 

I would like to 'like' this post more than once 😊

Also, I am wondering whether anyone else noticed how distinctively Ashley Dean has danced Columbine on other nights? 

But I am now risking diverting this thread......... apologies!

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

I wish we could combine Matty Ball and Cesar Corrales for a really high quality SPF Prince … one has all the princely looks, stature, partnering skills and musicality, the other a formidable technique.  And both disappointed me by not having enough of each other’s skills.  

I guess I’ve been unlucky this season in my casts.

Well probably the one you need to see is Muntagirov...I believe most think he has it “all”

On the other hand it’s nice to have a bit of variety in dancers. 
There’s nothing wrong with a few slightly shorter Princes in stature either lol! 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Well probably the one you need to see is Muntagirov...I believe most think he has it “all”

On the other hand it’s nice to have a bit of variety in dancers. 
There’s nothing wrong with a few slightly shorter Princes in stature either lol! 

Indeed, height definitely doesn't affect dancing quality!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Glad you are enjoying Nutcracker so much, Angela! I think the company and the orchestra are really putting their all into it, and performing each show as if it were their last (and each one could well be, given the spectre of restrictions looming every day). I felt that with the two I attended with very different casts- very different qualities and energies but both really marvellous and outstanding. 

Aww thanks Emeralds 😊 - who were the casts for the two you attended?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Aww thanks Emeralds 😊 - who were the casts for the two you attended?

Hi Angela Essex, I saw Kaneko/Clarke/Hinkis/Dixon/Saunders (Sugar Plum/Prince/Clara/Hans Peter/Drosselmeyer) and Lamb/Muntagirov/Dean/Ella/Whitehead, and both casts were fantastic in their own way with their own special qualities. I enjoyed all the other bits too- from Clara’s dancing partner leading the boys in their party dance to Mirlitons to Arabian to Waltz of the Flowers to Chinese to Snowflakes, etc.

I think what also makes Sir Peter’s 37 year old production with its updates so delightful is that  the entries and movements of every cast member - even non-dancing performers -  are so musical, from Drosselmeyer’s “floating down” with glitter, the maids coming out to light the candles on the tree, to the  handkerchiefs “flying” out of his bag  ....they’re all timed to a suitable phrase or highlight in the music. (My family are Nutcracker geeks after watching different productions on SkyArts and on DVD....lol.) We did consider coming back for another performance but we do have English National Ballet’s Nutcracker and Raymonda too, so we might be short of days to fit Christmas and everything else in as well! 😂

We also enjoyed the novelty of the new-since-last-year battle scene with adult mice and soldiers, even though we’re also looking forward to the pre-pandemic battle scene (with children portraying mice, toy soldiers and “civilian” toys) coming back eventually, especially the little mice carrying the stretcher and the toy rabbit drummer!  😁

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 5

Oh no! Came home to find out that the Royal Ballet’s Kingdom of the Sweets and the Stahlbaums’ party have also been hit by the Omicron Curse. Shows on 21 Dec to 3 Jan all cancelled. I feel awful for Marcelino Sambé- two years running now that his debut as Prince got cancelled, and he wasn’t down as Hans Peter this year (I missed his wonderful jumps in that role). 

Just noticed your thread is a new topic thread, Alison....thought it was a link to the ROH website ! Oops...I suppose we return here when 5 Jan rolls around- presuming, fingers crossed, performances allowed to go ahead? 

Edited by Emeralds

10 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Just received an email from ROH reminding me that I am attending the (cancelled) performance of The Nutcracker on 31st December.!!

In that case don't forget to book a hotel, limo to the ROH, posh outfit, and flowers for Claire Calvert!!😆

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Oh dear ....looks like that left hand right hand issue again 🙄

Why? Is Claire Calvert ambidextrous? 😉

Seriously  though, let’s cut the ROH some slack at this heartbreaking time. Like any organisation these days, I’d suggest that  standard reminder emails are programmed to go out and have done re upcoming Nuts because it wasn’t possible to stop them, whereas the cancellation announcement was swift action taken at very short notice and emails were sent asap. It will take time for ‘the machine’ to catch up. Another example of this I can think of is that I’m still getting regular reminders both by text and email to book my booster even though I had it a month ago and my Covid pass was almost immediately updated.

Also on the subject of refunds, credit notes etc, these were processed as rapidly as possible in the first lockdown and I’m sure that will be the case again this time.

If one thing is certain at the moment, it is how uncertain the world we live in is. With Nut cancelled this afternoon, less than 2 hours ago, over the phone to the box office, I booked to see Spring Awakening at 14.30. I arrived at the Almeida at 14.15 to find that the performance is cancelled due to a positive Covid at the theatre. That’s how quickly things can change.

Edited by prs59
  • Like 12