Royal Ballet’s The Nutcracker Winter 2021/22

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

And I would actually have preferred Anna Rose with her own hair as well, not least because the wig added at least 30mm to her height and that was not helpful in relation to her partner.

I think the wig suits Anna Rose very well. the only thing is the mesh underneath it is very noticeable on her forehead in the photos 

• Like 1

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Who or what is a Lannister?  

I agree about those horrible wigs, I think we have this discussion every time the Nutcracker is shown.  A bit of glitter on their own hair is all that is required.

The Lannisters are a regal family in the "Game of Thrones" series and they're renowned for incest, tyranny and generally being unpleasant as well as being very fair haired (which is a plot point as it lets people work out that the king's children are actually the product of a relationship between the queen and her twin brother).  Vadim with the wig bears rather a resemblance to Prince Joffrey of that family who was a young, unpleasant king with a penchant for violent sadism.  It's not particularly a great look on him.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I've just remembered....last night Clara had to break her own Nutcracker as the boy that dropped it on the floor did so in a way that it didn't end up in two pieces😄

She coped admirably calmly with the situation considering it was her debut! As she did with a scenery mishap, when the silk came down on her as she went to examine the human nutcracker lying on the floor after the battle and threatened to shut her out of the ballet! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tango Dancer said:

The Lannisters are a regal family in the "Game of Thrones" series and they're renowned for incest, tyranny and generally being unpleasant as well as being very fair haired (which is a plot point as it lets people work out that the king's children are actually the product of a relationship between the queen and her twin brother).  Vadim with the wig bears rather a resemblance to Prince Joffrey of that family who was a young, unpleasant king with a penchant for violent sadism.  It's not particularly a great look on him.  

Thanks for the explanation.  I have never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones, but they sound like a charming bunch.  We certainly don't want the lovely Vadim to bear any resemblance to them. 

• Like 7

The ROH now have up not only tonight's cast list but also the two for tomorrow, which seems brave in thses covid times when ENB are only confirming their lead trio on the day, let alone the rest of the cast! I'm very interested to see Hirano is down for the Arabain for tomorrow's matinee. I know he does more "secondary" roles than many of the other male Principals (e.g. Lescaut, Tybalt, Paris, Espada) but having a Principal doing one of the Nutcracker diverts must be quite unusual?

4 hours ago, Fonty said:

Thanks for the explanation.  I have never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones

Thank goodness for that.  I thought that I am the only person in the whole of the Western Hemisphere not to have seen even one episode of GoT!!

• Like 9

Erico Montes, who retired a couple of years ago, has posted on IG and looks as if he may be back in the fold for Nutcracker. 

9 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I think he’s doing Friar Laurence in R&J.

Yes, he is. I asked him on Instagram. It'll be great to see him back on the RB stage. I was sorry that he was among those who left during 2020 with no farewell possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fonty said:

Thanks for the explanation.  I have never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones, but they sound like a charming bunch.  We certainly don't want the lovely Vadim to bear any resemblance to them. 

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Thank goodness for that.  I thought that I am the only person in the whole of the Western Hemisphere not to have seen even one episode of GoT!!

35 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

And me!

That makes four of us.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Five. 🙂

Six! Having read reviews, it sounds far, far too violent for me. Though I did recognise that the name Lannister has something to do with Game of Thrones so vaguely grasped the intended reference.

• Like 1

🎄A TREEmendous Act 1 tonight! 🎄 

Mr O’Hare once again came out to tell us of a cast change, Matthew Ball being the Prince….but also that an hour before curtain up they had a major electrical problem and so some scenery won’t work but Gary Avis has had a think and the show will go on!….turns out it wasn’t the old guy’s candleholder that was knackered but the tree started the party fully grown! Everything was styled out rather well, they didn’t bother putting the angel on the tree etc and the tree growing section was just padded out with moving around….but then there was no fort or dolls house. And though the tree did disappear when it was supposed to a step remained so there was no electric float thing, they walked off at the end as they sometimes do any way 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Rob S said:

🎄A TREEmendous Act 1 tonight! 🎄 

Mr O’Hare once again came out to tell us of a cast change, Matthew Ball being the Prince….but also that an hour before curtain up they had a major electrical problem and so some scenery won’t work but Gary Avis has had a think and the show will go on!

I see Avis isn't doing Drosselmeyer tonight so maybe he was happy for it to go on because he wasn't the one who had to try to grow a tree that was already grown! 😉 Also, I imagine in the context of all the cancelled performances & cast changes, a mere scenery issue must be easy for them by comparison!

Edited by Dawnstar

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I imagine in the context of all the cancelled performances & cast changes, a mere scenery issue must be easy for them by comparison!

I imagine they must have been desperate not to cancel another performance! But to have such major technical problems at the ROH is incredibly unusual.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JohnS said:

As always very impressed with the Royal Ballet’s ingenuity. I do hope the technical problems are sorted for tomorrow’s double Nutcracker and the magic sleigh makes both performances.

I miss the fort more than the sleigh but I assume the full stage width step that couldn’t lower was what stopped the fort and house being moved in, I assume it can’t fit in a more forward position in the wings in time.

Edited by Rob S

9 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I imagine they must have been desperate not to cancel another performance! But to have such major technical problems at the ROH is incredibly unusual.

Certainly not at such short notice, when much of the audience would already have been en route to the theatre. I suppose, come to think of it, the ROH is very reliable technically. I can't think offhand of any major technical problem I've ever seen there. I've certainly seen show stops & changes in blocking due to technical issues at West End shows over the years though, so if I did see one at the ROH I would assume its par for the course.

Edited by Dawnstar

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, he is. I asked him on Instagram. It'll be great to see him back on the RB stage. I was sorry that he was among those who left during 2020 with no farewell possible.

I'm sorry I'm not seeing any new performances Erico Montes is in as like Dawnstar I always really liked him and looked out for him on stage. He always added a touch of class to whatever part he took, however small.  I was disappointed he was never promoted, and the small roles he was usually given. Perhaps he'll come back for swan lake or Month in the Country when I might be able to see him.

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 2

I’ve just checked Bridiem ...yes you are still at this point in a minority of one in liking the blonde wigs...on all! 
Thought there might have been a couple of other wigophiles but apparently not. 

Ive never seen Game of Thrones either but that might be because it wasn’t on terrestrial TV or maybe I might have got hooked like others have. 

• Like 2

Changes for Act 2….angels in a foggy Kingdom of the Sweets instead of the usual foliage and none of the candle relay…also the Chinese dancers didn’t enter by the steps but from the sides even though Drosselmeyer did and the angel appeared at the top of them at the end 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Changes for Act 2….angels in a foggy Kingdom of the Sweets instead of the usual foliage and none of the candle relay…also the Chinese dancers didn’t enter by the steps but from the sides even though Drosselmeyer did and the angel appeared at the top of them at the end 

A night to remember, then 😱

But important for Yuhui Choe that she got her show.

• Like 7