Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Richard LH said:

In mentioning, during the Insight, his 3 other colleagues playing  Don Q (Gary Avis, Thomas Whitehead, and Bennet Gartside) I was reminded what brilliant character artists the Royal Ballet is currently blessed with. They really add extra levels of depth and  enjoyment to the ballets in which they are cast.

Chris always gives such good direction and correction in rehearsal, and also seems really nice.  

RB has the best character artists who add so much to everything they do. The others are amazing too.  I love watching all of them dance and have a particular weakness for Gary as Tybalt in Romeo and Juliet.  I'd add that Benn is also a wonderful teacher, I did his classes during Covid and since and can't say enough nice things about him (I'd still do them only I've moved away so it's harder).  

• Like 4

I hope they can get Leanne Cope to present again one day when she’s available - she was very good and it’s nice to see what she is up to in between being a star of musical theatre. 😊 Nathalie Harrison too. And I always  Alexander Campbell and Kristen McNally’s clear, engaging and high quality presenting - though they are probably busy preparing “The Limit” (for the premiere in Linbury Theatre) at the moment.  💃

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

I hope they can get Leanne Cope to present again one day when she’s available - she was very good and it’s nice to see what she is up to in between being a star of musical theatre. 😊 Nathalie Harrison too. And I always  Alexander Campbell and Kristen McNally’s clear, engaging and high quality presenting - though they are probably busy preparing “The Limit” (for the premiere in Linbury Theatre) at the moment.  💃

And as @capybara mentioned above, Alexander Campbell has far more important things than ballet to do this week. 🍼👶

On 19/09/2023 at 20:10, Richard LH said:

In mentioning, during the Insight, his 3 other colleagues playing  Don Q (Gary Avis, Thomas Whitehead, and Bennet Gartside) I was reminded what brilliant character artists the Royal Ballet is currently blessed with. They really add extra levels of depth and  enjoyment to the ballets in which they are cast.

I thought that Tom Whitehead’s turn as Gameche in the first run of DonQ was a revelation and very funny.  A more unfoppish man I can’t imagine, but he was perfect in the role.  Just my own opinion.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sim said:

I thought that Tom Whitehead’s turn as Gameche in the first run of DonQ was a revelation and very funny.  A more unfoppish man I can’t imagine, but he was perfect in the role.  Just my own opinion.  

Completely agree. Tom was a 'knock out' as Gamache.

As I told him that at the Stage Door, Ben Gartside (first cast) appeared and there was some terrific 'in character' banter between the two Gamaches.

• Like 3

On 19/09/2023 at 14:04, Silver Capricorn said:

I visited the Vienna performance and I clearly prefer Nureyev's version.

Did you see it in Vienna a couple of weeks ago? I had a ticket but couldn’t use it. What was the show like (not in such good shape before the summer, so I heard)? 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Did you see it in Vienna a couple of weeks ago? I had a ticket but couldn’t use it. What was the show like (not in such good shape before the summer, so I heard)? 

I was in Vienna last Saturday. The performance was very warmly received by the audience, the atmosphere was very pleasant. However, Nureyev's choreography is, in my opinion, very demanding, and the soloists did not always have such good technique. The dancer Konovalova, who danced Kitri, did not give her role any acting expression. I liked the Canadian dancer Brendan Saye in the role of Espada, he was excellent. I look forward to seeing Don Q at the Paris Opera in the spring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The Don Q insight is now available on the ROH stream. I enjoyed watching it, and as others have said, Chris Saunders is excellent at taking rehearsals and always seems very nice and encouraging but with a great eye for detail.

I was also impressed by Annette Buvoli as Mercedes, and Lukas BB looked very promising as Espada. I could certainly believe in the ladies going all gooey eyed at him!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Nina99 said:

The Don Q insight is now available on the ROH stream. I enjoyed watching it, and as others have said, Chris Saunders is excellent at taking rehearsals and always seems very nice and encouraging but with a great eye for detail.

I was also impressed by Annette Buvoli as Mercedes, and Lukas BB looked very promising as Espada. I could certainly believe in the ladies going all gooey eyed at him!

Also still on You tube for those who don't subscribe to stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTIjeATuuAE

Edited by oncnp

Not an Insight but don't know where else to put this. Mods please move as appropriate

Free Tickets for Young Creatives to performances of "The Limit"

image.png.34d914d7d14faf9e0d1b058d2dff583f.png

@alexandercampbellproductions is inviting applications to receive a free ticket to a performance of The Limit @royaloperahouse and the opportunity to meet the creative team behind this new production.

This extraordinary collaboration includes artists working at the Royal Opera House within dance and ballet for the first time and we wish to offer emerging creative artists the chance to experience this production and learn more about the creative process which lead to this staging.

Tickets are available for the following performances:

• Wednesday 25th October - 19:30
  • Thursday 26th October - 19:30

Applicants can contact us via Instagram or email:

enquiries@alexandercampbellproductions.co.uk sending a short CV and preferred performance date.

Applications close on the 11th October

Edited by oncnp

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Interesting the dancers are talking rather than acting to a soundtrack like The Statement.

it sounds like it'll be another case of the MacGregor: dancers moving, music playing but neither really having anything to do with the other.

Like Kristen McNally said herself that she would have choreographed some things very differently had she had the music to those segments before.

I also wonder how much we will still be able to hear the dancers speak once the music is added.

Edited by Silke H

Thanks for sharing, Rob. Having trained as an actor and not a dancer, I very much enjoyed seeing their process working with a choreographer and director. I'm intrigued by what we've seen so far. This seems to play to Francesca's and Alexander's strengths as naturalistic performers. If I lived in London, I would book to see in a heartbeat! Maybe they'll tour this in New York if it's a success. 

• Like 2

On 23/09/2023 at 12:15, oncnp said:

Also still on You tube for those who don't subscribe to stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTIjeATuuAE

I was a bit surprised about Chris Saunders repeatedly mentioning the dancers' height - as if this was a problem.  e.g.

22:50 "You;re tall so..."

54:30 "You're the tallest Espada..."

56:40 "Because you're tall..."

57:05 "For 2 tall dancers..."

I felt that in each case the correction could have been made without the preceding remark.  It just seemed unnecessary.  There is no issue about height - unless a couple are ill-matched.  You are what you are. 

Edited by Henry
Added last sentence
  • Like 2

But height does make a difference, especially for men in ballet. It’s really difficult - for both men and women - to do the fast petit allegro, and the big jumps if you are tall with long legs! It’s no coincidence that Wayne Sleep, for example, could do amazingly fast petit allegro. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

But height does make a difference, especially for men in ballet. It’s really difficult - for both men and women - to do the fast petit allegro, and the big jumps if you are tall with long legs! It’s no coincidence that Wayne Sleep, for example, could do amazingly fast petit allegro. 

You are quite right.  Height does make a difference to abilities.  Basketball players are usually tall and gymnasts are often short. 

However, the height is a given.  It isn't going to change.  Instead of saying "You're tall so take bigger steps", just say "Take bigger steps".  

If the choreography isn't suitable for the dancer's build/ abilities, then the dancer has been miscast - and not that the dancer is at fault.  

Edited by Henry
Last sentence added.

58 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

Yes. This.

On 08/10/2023 at 10:44, Kate_N said:

I have never understood this logic.  Scientifically, the relative speed of any sized body has only to do with training, inclination, and their own proportions.  

Shorter male dancers focus on petit allegro etc as they are conditioned to not expect noble prince and lyrical roles.

No, there is a difference in physique between tall and short dancers because of the length and elasticity of the soft tissue supporting their skeleton.  It has been known about for centuries! Noverre classified dancers' legs into jarretté and arqué. Loosely translated the former is knock or sway back knees, long tendons, feet roll in, overall flexible so high extensions but inclined to injury. Usually a tall dancer. The second is bow legged. Shorter, tighter tendons with more 'ping' in their elastic. Really good at jumps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Pas de Quatre

Surely the “length and elasticity of the soft tissue supporting their skeleton” is PROPORTIONAL to their height.  

Therefore the movement ability each body has is about their personal relative skeletal makeup … i.e. a person with short body and long legs can do different things to a person with long body and short legs.  Dancers with the same proportions, (and turnout) whatever their height, should be able to do the same ballet steps.  

I think Reece Clarke is proving with increased training in his professional life that tall longer legged dancers can also jump and do fast petit allegro.  If only he was given the chance to do the roles that encompass that more often.  Will Bracewell already has beautiful petit allegro as does Vadim Muntagirov. All are tall dancers. 

Edited by FionaM

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Loosely translated the former is knock or sway back knees, long tendons, feet roll in, overall flexible so high extensions but inclined to injury. Usually a tall dancer.

Interesting that theory suggests taller dancers are inclined to injury when among the RB Principals in recent years it is some of the shorter ones (McRae, Takada, Corrales) who have been off injured more frequently.

• Like 1

Isn't it related to why gymnasts are nearly always short? Google suggests this helps with "rotational skills" - I suppose that means logically that if your extremities are further from their axis they have more distance to travel, slowing you down.

• Like 3

A good illustration of body types is to look at runners. Sprinters have a totally different physique to long distance runners. I am not saying that there aren't exceptions to the observations I posted, but they do still hold good in general terms. Now that ever higher extensions are looked for in both male and female dancers, overstretching can also cause problems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2023 at 13:49, FionaM said:

tall longer legged dancers can also jump and do fast petit allegro

Of course they can! But it is harder because they have more body to move through more space in the same time as a shorter/smaller dancer. Sometimes the orchestra can adjust tempi to suit a particular dancer, but only for solos.

I remember once learning a Kitri solo using pre-recorded music - the music for the solo had been recorded for a performance of Lucette Aldous (Australian Ballet star). The music was fast. My teacher explained that this was because she is tiny but could jump fast & high. One of my class mates was tall & long-legged and she found it hard to keep up. Of course, we were not professionals who are trained to do amazing things. But still, it gave me an insight into how music tempi, choreography, and body types all interact.

And also, I used to do classes with Julie Felix at DanceXchange (as was) in Birmingham. These were summer classes, so included a number of young teen dancers, some at Elmhurst, ENBS, or RBS. It took a bi of courage as a middle-aged woman turning up in leotard and tights amongst those beautiful long-limbed girls!

But Ms Felix once said something really helpful during pirouettes across the floor. Some of the tall, and slim long-legged girls was having trouble with their stability in that old standard chassée, pas de bourree, pirouette en dehors from 4th.

Ms Felix commented that sometimes older women with broader hips could better manage the required  torque in shoulders, torso, and hips than the long thin body type with no hips. Our wider hips gave us stability and turning force. I thought it was very kind of her to say that to us older women, but also a very interesting observation about the physics of turning. 

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 8

Some of the allegro music for RAD early grades 3/4/5 etc can be quite fast and then forget that the enchainements are probably aimed at 9-10 year olds who would be much smaller than middle aged adults trying to make them look precise and neat!! 

• Like 1

Additional Insights. Both marked for filming. 

REHEARSING: SWAN LAKE

22 FEBRUARY 2024     THURSDAY, 7.30PM

REHEARSING: DANSES CONCERTANTES / DIFFERENT DRUMMER / REQUIEM

14 MARCH 2024           THURSDAY, 7.30PM