Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

That would mean they are rehearsing the Agnus Dei role in Requiem for Hamilton and Woyzeck role in Different Drummer for Sambe, unless one or both are in the other trio of dancers for Danses Concertantes (the members of which haven't been published yet) and they're doing that. Ooh, it's  started.....

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a brilliant Insight! Watson and Bussell both terrific coaches, Sambé and Hamilton excellent, and a really interesting discussion between Eagling, Ferri, Bussell and Lady MacMillan. Very moving to see dancers who thrilled me in my early years of ballet-going talking and coaching so vividly. Has even made me look forward to Different Drummer (which I'm afraid I loathed on it première; I will go next week with an open mind...). I didn't catch the name of the presenter but she was very good too. Thank you to all concerned! 

• Like 11

Agree, this was the best Insight I have seen, and so wonderful to see Alessandra Ferri and Wayne Eagling again, brought back fond memories. Very good picture quality too, plus some funny unintentionally incorrect subtitles 😊

• Like 3

I really enjoyed the Insight. I’m struck by just how special the coaches are at RB . Both Darcey Bussell and Ed Watson demonstrated in spades the productive, informal and mutually respectful  relationships they have with the dancers they coach. It’s something you regularly witness in other Insights with coaches like Laura Morea, Gary Avis and Christopher Saunders. It was a joy to watch two talented and intelligent dancers in Marcelino Sambe and Melissa Hamilton responding to input about the impulse or the physicality of a movement. The discussion afterwards was a further treat with a dream panel who between them had such a wealth of knowledge and experience of Macmillan the man and the choreographer . Lady Macmillan’s final comments regarding the generosity of previous dancers in willingly passing  on the torch to the next generation as being rare in the arts, was something which I had never considered before and made me feel rather warm and fuzzy! 

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

A fantastic insight live in the studio and the first one my daughter has joined me for- she was a bit star struck. Love that one of my kids has the ballet big too.

The discussion and the rehearsals were a real treat, especially having not seen any of the works before. There is something really special about Kenneth MacMillan’s works and it was fascinating to see the dancers and coaches really breathe life into them. The conversation element is brilliant - a way for us as the audience to really get close to the genius of MacMillan and understand better that baton passing from generation to generation. 

• Like 9

Just finished watching on YouTube slightly behind time and it has really whetted my appetite for this programme.  I agree with the comments about how special it is that this generation of dancers still can have an almost direct contact with MacMillan's intention via the generation he created these works on.  [I thought the same when I saw Muntagirov being coached by Sir Anthony Dowell in Ashton's Blessed Spirits just before lockdown].  Watching Ed Watson working with Marcelino Sambe was extraordinary - the movements must be so jarring for bodies used to classical technique.  I know they are all incredibly fit but I wonder if the injury level in MacMillan works is higher than others?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I do so agree with all of you who have praised this Insight; it went some way to alleviating my frustration that the triple bill is not being shown in cinemas in Spain. I thought Sambé was dancing superbly and what a treat to see so much of the glorious, elegant Melissa Hamilton, whom I adore.

Delighted that Eagling and Ferri were there with their input and Lady Macmillan never ceases to amaze me: she attends so many Insights when  they involve Macmillan's works and yet she never seems to mind having to comment, time after time, and, what's more, she always manages to find something fresh and different to say.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this thread up as a reminder of this evening's Winter's Tale insight. The YouTube link is above.

This four minute short from 2018 is a brief introduction to the ballet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy birthday @Silke H, what a lovely birthday treat.

Gutted I didn't book for this - leaving for hols at the crack of dawn and I think it would have been too much to take on (and it wouldn't have gone down well with my husband while he is left to finish packing, deliver dog to sitter etc). 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Nope.  Can't get onto YT on this £$%£"$^ train.  Don't remember there being any ban on streaming in the T&Cs :( 

It's only just now begun.  You can watch it later though! 

And it was fabulous!   Vadim is going to make a fine Leontes (debut).  Ed Watson seemed genuinely impressed with him and Fumi together.  (Not her debut).  High praise indeed considering Ed was the creator of this role.  

To  me this seems another level of Vadim … first Mayerling, now Leontes.  We await Onegin 🤞

Luca Acri and Sae Maeda were lovely in the Florizel/Perdita roles.  It seemed odd to me that this will be Luca’s debut.  I guess mostly principals have been cast before.  

Good to see former dancer Nathalie Harrison hosting.  

• Like 14

21 minutes ago, FionaM said:

And it was fabulous!   Vadim is going to make a fine Leontes (debut).  Ed Watson seemed genuinely impressed with him and Fumi together.  (Not her debut).  High praise indeed considering Ed was the creator of this role.  

To  me this seems another level of Vadim … first Mayerling, now Leontes.  We await Onegin 🤞

Luca Acri and Sae Maeda were lovely in the Florizel/Perdita roles.  It seemed odd to me that this will be Luca’s debut.  I guess mostly principals have been cast before.  

Good to see former dancer Nathalie Harrison hosting.  

V A D I M 😁🤩 

What we saw last night was a glimpse of a very special Leontes. If anyone missed his revelatory Rudolf, a ticket for his WT would seem to be a ‘must buy’.

The coaching session (Act 3 pdd) with Edward Watson was a real ‘insight’ but, maybe, the Florizel/Perdita pdd with Chris Saunders which came later was at too early a learning stage for the occasion even though Sae Maeda and Luca Acri are lovely to watch.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

The coaching session (Act 3 pdd) with Edward Watson was a real ‘insight’ but, maybe, the Florizel/Perdita pdd with Chris Saunders which came later was at too early a learning stage for the occasion even though Sae Maeda and Luca Acri are lovely to watch.

Yes - I did find with the second rehearsal that stopping the dancers literally every few seconds with purely technical rather than 'artistic' feedback didn't make for very illuminating viewing. But all the dancers were excellent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Yes - I did find with the second rehearsal that stopping the dancers literally every few seconds with purely technical rather than 'artistic' feedback didn't make for very illuminating viewing. But all the dancers were excellent.

I thought it an interesting contrast - virtually stage ready and being 'tweaked', compared to the early stages of learning the intricate and often non-classroom steps

• Like 8

I love The Winter’s Tale as a story and I think the ballet is Wheeldon’s masterpiece.  

The story is a good contrast to R&J where the love of the children of the warring families leads to the children’s deaths, whereas in TWT the love of the children reunites eventually the parental relationships.  (Though tragedy remains with the death of one child.).  The genius of Shakespeare.  

• Like 5

The origins of the story? Shakespeare was very good at retelling.

"Where did Shakespeare get the idea for The Winter’s Tale? He often reworked elements from earlier literature and other authors, making a practice of creating something new and powerful from existing stories, and The Winter’s Tale was no exception.

Popping up in the play are characters and scenes from Robert Greene’s 1588 romance Pandosto: The Triumph of Time, considered Shakespeare’s primary source material for The Winter’s Tale. If Greene’s name sounds familiar, it may be because he’s the same man who mocked Shakespeare as a poor writer and an “upstart crow.” " 

https://www.folger.edu/blogs/shakespeare-and-beyond/how-we-got-the-winters-tale-and-where-it-went-from-there/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well Winters Tale is my old A level Shakespeare text!! 
Id probably enjoy it more now but back then I was dying to read Romeo and Juliet and was disappointed in the choice of Winters Tale. So in the end I did read R&J in my spare time ….but not such a good plan at the time for me!!   It was Chaucer and TS Eliot who got me through my A level in the end  lol. 
I much preferred the ballet to my remembered time with the text at any rate!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed last night’s Insight. The Winter’s Tale is a favourite of mine and Fumi and Vadim were a complete joy, especially as they were rehearing that heartbreaking pas de deux at the end of the ballet. I cannot wait to see Vadim’s Leontes in its full glory now - he got me from the moment he started to walk towards Fumi/Hermione. Fumi was so dignified - and what a beautiful straight back she has.

Whilst I saw the point of the second rehearsal with Luca Acri and Sae Maeda, I did find myself losing interest a bit in as much as I would have liked to see them run at least part of the whole thing before all the minute breakdown - impressive though it was, it didn’t make for compelling watching as it was hard to get a sense of it. However, they were looking good and I’m sure will shine in the actual performance.

• Like 6

I’ve watched the replay and I have to say I do like all those technical details about where the foot is and how to achieve a certain arm position in a difficult lift etc etc. So I enjoyed the second one too. Just beginning to get a good idea of Sae Maeda as opposed to a couple of others in the Company and I like her a lot she seems to have a warm personality. 

• Like 1

I thought the first rehearsal with Vadim and Fumi struck the right balance of them dancing and then getting the detail on how to improve things. I found the second one a bit too much the other way. But just my personal opinion!

• Like 3

Thank you for posting this insight @Balletfanp. I must admit that I had hoped that Vadim would reprise his performance as Florizel in the WT. However, having seen this rehearsal, I think he should be a great Leontes and I now wish I had bought a ticket for both performances. 
Vadim is certainly busy, he’s now off to La Scala where he’s dancing Sleeping Beauty PDD with Marianela on Friday and next week I believe he’s dancing with Fumi at a gala in Belgrade.

• Like 2