Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

Lovely insight. I particularly enjoyed Fumi and Vadim and always enjoy Ed Watson's coaching.  I got a real sense of where they were taking their roles. I didn't enjoy the second rehearsal as much - as others have said, the dancers were stopped what felt like every two seconds and I found myself losing interest (I could see they were, perhaps, at a different stage of learning their roles though). It was an enjoyable experience overall though.

• Like 2

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An evening of dance and discovery 🩰
Join us on Thursday 25 April for a collaboration between The Royal Ballet, Dance Theatre of Harlem and the Black British Ballet.
Presented before a live audience in London and in New York City, this special program will highlight the little-known but extensive history of Black dancers in ballet in the UK and US, and will feature a performance by The Royal Ballet and Dance Theatre of Harlem.
'Insights: Black dancers in ballet - sharing a rich trans-atlantic legacy' will be co-hosted in New York City by Jacob's Pillow and the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts: https://bit.ly/442VXIM
🎫 Missed out on a ticket? Livestream the event from 7pm BST on our YouTube channel: https://bit.ly/446PrRh or at 2pm EST on Dance Theatre Harlem's Facebook page: https://bit.ly/3Q7xf4d

Edited by Roberta
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

A very interesting insight with lovely dancing. I had no idea there was another version of Giselle set in New Orleans, it would be great to see the whole thing.

It was made available online for ages in 2020 :(

• Like 1

9 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

A very interesting insight with lovely dancing. I had no idea there was another version of Giselle set in New Orleans, it would be great to see the whole thing.

There are probably many different interpretations of Giselle.

The DTH production was shown on television in the late 1980s.

Mats Ek choreographed a very different version (which I also saw on TV).

Northern Ballet had a production (late 1990s) set in a ghetto.  The choreography for Giselle and Albrecht was the traditional.  The rest of the choreography was original and, due to the smaller size of the company at the time, the Wilis were both male and female.  It was very moving and very wonderful.

13 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

There are probably many different interpretations of Giselle.

The DTH production was shown on television in the late 1980s.

Mats Ek choreographed a very different version (which I also saw on TV).

Northern Ballet had a production (late 1990s) set in a ghetto.  The choreography for Giselle and Albrecht was the traditional.  The rest of the choreography was original and, due to the smaller size of the company at the time, the Wilis were both male and female.  It was very moving and very wonderful.

I much prefer the earlier Northern Ballet version from 1990. I seem to remember the set from the second act seeming to step straight out of a Romantic painting; very Casper David Friedrich and so atmospheric. I remember it especially as I saw the Kirov ballet (as they were then) perform it in Manchester a few months later. It was the first time I saw the Kirov and I thought Northern Ballets production was far better.