Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, capybara said:

Thomas Whitehead moved straight from Soloist to Principal Character Artist.

Apologies, I must have misread when I was checking biographies earlier.

3 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Good point, although this is not impossible, if my calculations and biological knowledge are correct!

Biologically possible but not really how the characters are presented in the RB's production.

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

It’s a pity Tomas Mock is leaving, I would have  thought him a good choice as Drosselmeyer 

I agree, he would have been one of my suggestions for potential Drosselmeyers. The other one would be Calvin Richardson. I know he's doing the Prince but then he combined Espada & Gamache in Don Q.

As they have shown Aiden rehearsing Drosselmeyer in the Insight I'm surprised he still isn't on the cast list. Presumably he's replacing Bennet Gartside who is injured but I'm sure plenty like me would love to try and get a ticket to see him but daren't risk buying one until it's definite because of living so far away. Ironically, the 2 performances I may be seeing (cinema broadcast and Jan 1st matinee) have the other 2 Drosselmeyer's performing. Never thought I'd choose to see anyone other than Gary as Drosselmeyer but I would like to see Aiden. I just hope if it works out for him he will be given a chance next year even if Bennet is back.

• Like 6

A great Insight....it made me feel quite emotional to see a rehearsal of the first PDD I fell in love with (when Hayward and Campbell were in the roles), and which  remains one of my favourites.The music is so beautiful and it's the moment the Nutcracker magic really begins. 

The dancers featured were brilliant, and Gary Avis did a superb job in passing on his extensive knowledge and enthusiasm.

I also loved the interview with Kate Shipway, and her amazing duet with Rob Clark.

• Like 8

On 22/11/2023 at 15:46, Dawnstar said:

So what has made the RB casting team this time go for a First Artist who's only about 25? If O'Brien does replace Gartside then he'll make his debut with a Nephew, Zuchetti, who's about a decade older than him!

You can definitely have nephews and nieces older than you if you're from a large family with many offspring. I know someone whose niece is around 9 years older than he- daughter of his eldest sibling who married young. He's the youngest of 16 kids. Not uncommon in the past. Of course, the acting is what matters as ballet companies routinely cast Berthes who look and are actually significantly younger in real life than their Giselles, and lots of Siegfried's mothers who look and are much younger than their "sons" ....although thankfully RB generally doesn't. Aiden is a very good dance actor- he really made the role of Du Pre's cello teacher come alive in The Cellist in October.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

On the age thing ….

Frequently the RB go with character artists who are way too old.   Juliet’s mother should be no more than 30.  RB too frequently has ones who could be her grandmother or even great-grandmother.  (Of course the dancer portraying Juliet is herself much older than the character). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FionaM said:

Frequently the RB go with character artists who are way too old.   Juliet’s mother should be no more than 30.  RB too frequently has ones who could be her grandmother or even great-grandmother.  (Of course the dancer portraying Juliet is herself much older than the character). 

Yes. I seem to recall posting about this recently on another thread.  Clara's parents too?

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Sim said:

This will be well worth watching for the rehearsal.  Just saying!

you had me going for a moment, I thought Fumi Kaneko & Vadim Muntagirov were lined up to dance.

Yasmin Nagdhi & William Bracwell will more than suffice though 🙂

Edited by PeterS

32 minutes ago, PeterS said:

you had me going for a moment, I thought Fumi Kaneko & Vadim Muntagirov were lined up to dance.

Yasmin Nagdhi & William Bracwell will more than suffice though 🙂

Much more than 'more than', I am sure!!  :)

• Like 5

So glad Morera stayed on to coach, she is a treasure...and what a good comment about the generosity of ballet as an art form ' 'people saying 'Have what I did, and let me help you make it better' '- Indeed!

• Like 10

I really enjoyed the insight. Laura Morera is an amazing woman - her attention to detail is astounding and she makes a wonderful coach, as I've seen before, but appreciated so much this evening. I'm really looking forward to seeing this wonderful ballet! I agree that the three debutants show great promise. Can't wait! 

• Like 8

Laura Morera tonight as the coach. Simply wonderful.

She could dance the whole ballet, every role.

Very much looking forward as well to the three upcoming debuts.

On reflection, it’s surprising that Joseph Sissens is the only new Lescaut (I think).

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, capybara said:

On reflection, it’s surprising that Joseph Sissens is the only new Lescaut (I think).

Interesting that she said if she could have ever danced male roles, she would have chosen Lescaut and Mercutio.  I’m sure she would have been brilliant as both!

• Like 8

9 hours ago, capybara said:

I’m surprised and disappointed that the opportunity to dance Lescaut has not been given to one or two of the soloists rather than dancers doubling up and dancing Lescaut and Des Grieux. There are few enough meaty roles in the rep for up and coming dancers. 

• Like 7

That really was a fabulous Insight setting up next week’s Manon run. Laura Morera’s Midas touch continues to dazzle me and I’m very much looking forward to seeing all the dancers perform their roles.

I was delighted to hear that Laura is ‘staging’ Manon so has a role beyond that of principal coach for some of the dancers. But I’m unsure what the staging role entails and would be very interested to hear what it covers. Would anyone be able to provide some enlightenment please? Many thanks.

• Like 2

Was wonderful to get an insight into such minute detail which adds to every performance thanks to Laura’s coaching. Incredibly sad that I can’t make either of the Naghdi/Bracewell dates, even more so now that I have seen them working on it, but glad I get to see Sissens at least!