Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, bridiem said:

21st November, not 23rd in fact.

Yes that was a typo... thanks. I don't do mornings! 😐 Will edit.

Watch Royal Ballet dancers and coaches in rehearsal as they prepare some of the works they will soon perform on stage. The countdown to Nutcracker has begun!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And even more so, seeing the RBS students in Les Noces which made me ache to see it again. If Nijinska is so important and mustn't be forgotten etc, why does the RB not stage her works?? It's precisely because the RB (etc) don't stage them that she's being forgotten! (Yes, I know about cost etc in respect of Les Noces; but it's really a question of priorities and choices.) I have to hope that this Insight is an indication that at least one revival is on the way.

• Like 14

Really interesting Insight BUT even more frustrating is the inability of the RB (or any other UK company for that matter) to actually perform these works. I know Monica Mason programmed Les Noces a few times but when was the last time Les Biches was performed? It’s not as though the music or choreography is perceived as ‘difficult’ as Les Noces & I’m guessing the costs for performance is less than the Stravinsky? Next year perhaps (unlikely unfortunately). 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ianlond said:

. I know Monica Mason programmed Les Noces a few times but when was the last time Les Biches was performed? 

Almost 20 years ago - 2005.

Edited to add that I remember Ashton’s Symphonic Variations was on the same bill. Does anyone remember what the third piece was?

Edited again to answer my own question.  I just googled it and found a Guardian review of this mixed bill

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2005/jun/04/dance  The third piece was Month in the Country.  What a wonderful mixed bill!

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 7

23 hours ago, bridiem said:

And even more so, seeing the RBS students in Les Noces which made me ache to see it again. If Nijinska is so important and mustn't be forgotten etc, why does the RB not stage her works?? It's precisely because the RB (etc) don't stage them that she's being forgotten! (Yes, I know about cost etc in respect of Les Noces; but it's really a question of priorities and choices.) I have to hope that this Insight is an indication that at least one revival is on the way.

We also  really enjoyed seeing the dancers from Chile and an insight to their rehearsal of the work. The excerpt we saw showed what emotionally connected dancers they are. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Who is on the cast sheet for tonight. 
I got a ticket from the Forum for this but as not a Friend have no info etc 

On the website under cast sheets

Edited by oncnp

2 hours ago, FionaM said:

New Drosselmeyer is going to be fabulous! 

Someone was proposing a couple of new, younger (shorter?) Drosselmeyers the other day, but I hadn't considered this one.  I assume the vital thing is whether you can do the magic tricks sufficiently well.

5 hours ago, alison said:

Someone was proposing a couple of new, younger (shorter?) Drosselmeyers the other day, but I hadn't considered this one.  I assume the vital thing is whether you can do the magic tricks sufficiently well.

ironically, Drosselmeyer is a younger role for Aiden O’B who has danced the Grandfather in many Nutcrackers for at least the past two seasons. really looking forward to seeing him as the magician. 

5 minutes ago, alison said:

Do we know when he's on?  I don't remember noticing his name in the casting.

Perhaps replacing Bennett Gartside who is injured? 

14 hours ago, alison said:

Someone was proposing a couple of new, younger (shorter?) Drosselmeyers the other day, but I hadn't considered this one.

I'd love to know how they selected O'Brien, as he sems an atypical choice for the role in the RB's production in terms of age & rank. As far as I can find, the last new RB Drosselmeyer was Whitehead in 2015, who would have been about 40 at the time & a First Soloist. The ROH database gives Gartside debuting in 2012, when he would have been mid-30s & a First Soloist; Avis in 2005, again mid-30s and the year he became a Principal Character Artist; Saunders in 1999, again mid-30s and already a Principal Character Artist. So what has made the RB casting team this time go for a First Artist who's only about 25? If O'Brien does replace Gartside then he'll make his debut with a Nephew, Zuchetti, who's about a decade older than him!

• Like 3

In my family we have such instances (and I have a niece the same age as me.)

However .....the point is that the uncle feels a parental sort of worry and care for the nephew- so maybe this does need to look plausible onstage. However, I am sure this will be achieved through the magic of theatre!

• Like 2

I have just watched the Insight and loved it.  I have long had my eye on Giacomo and Marianna, and to see them dancing together was a joy to behold.  If Joshua is unable to dance (and I hope that is not the case) then I hope Giacomo can dance with Marianna.  

Aiden has a big cape to fill, following Gary Avis' Drosselmeyer, but it looks like he has great potential.  He is being taught by the very best!

I never tire of watching these rehearsals.  It's always amazing to be reminded of the sheer amount of work and detail that go into making the seemingly effortless beauty that we are presented with onstage.

• Like 10