Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I emailed Customer Services about whether or not the ballet Insights were being filmed. Graham Boland replied and said he had been advised that Don Q will certainly be filmed and the Nutcracker almost certainly.

Glad they are likely to be filmed, but hoping it's possible to get tickets for these (especially as I have gone against the grain and upgraded my membership since the last booking period).

• Like 1

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
On 17/07/2023 at 14:38, jmhopton said:

I emailed Customer Services about whether or not the ballet Insights were being filmed. Graham Boland replied and said he had been advised that Don Q will certainly be filmed and the Nutcracker almost certainly.

Both are now listed as being filmed 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another new Insight

INSIGHTS: THE LEGACY OF NIJINSKA

18 NOVEMBER 2023, 12PM
CLORE STUDIO
BALLET AND DANCE
Join us for this extended Insight that celebrates the innovative creative genius of Bronislava Nijinska.

11 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Another new Insight

18 NOVEMBER 2023, 12PM
CLORE STUDIO
BALLET AND DANCE
Join us for this extended Insight that celebrates the innovative creative genius of Bronislava Nijinska.

I can think of a better way to celebrate her.

• Like 9

Still more.....

INSIGHTS: PHOTOGRAPHING THE DANTE PROJECT WITH MARY MCCARTNEY
30 NOVEMBER 2023, 7.30PM
CLORE STUDIO
Join Mary McCartney in conversation with Wayne McGregor as they discuss the art of capturing a creatives' vision from behind the camera lens. 

Are there ever returns for Insights? I desperately want to go (loved Nijinska's autobiography, such a pity the promised second volume never materialised, and love Les Noces and Les Biches).  But as a basic Friend my chance of getting a ticket is probably nil. I need to know in plenty of time to book train tickets before the prices get astronomical. If I thought there was a chance of a return I could book my train ticket sooner.

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

Are there ever returns for Insights? I desperately want to go (loved Nijinska's autobiography, such a pity the promised second volume never materialised, and love Les Noces and Les Biches).  But as a basic Friend my chance of getting a ticket is probably nil. I need to know in plenty of time to book train tickets before the prices get astronomical. If I thought there was a chance of a return I could book my train ticket sooner.

I guess it depends how popular the insight is? I tried for the ballet ones (I'm a Friend+ only, I'm afraid). I logged on at the exact given time and all tickets were already gone and I was, and remain, very disappointed. I believe there is a chance of returns but I don't expect to be able to get a ticket - what are the chances I will see if there's a return? I hope you are successful. :)  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I guess it depends how popular the insight is? I tried for the ballet ones (I'm a Friend+ only, I'm afraid). I logged on at the exact given time and all tickets were already gone and I was, and remain, very disappointed. I believe there is a chance of returns but I don't expect to be able to get a ticket - what are the chances I will see if there's a return? I hope you are successful. :)  

Which insight were you looking for?

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

I find that there are returns close to the date or on the day in the past. Not 100% guaranteed but keep your eye on the one you are interested in.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Which insight were you looking for?

Either of RB in rehearsal. I know they are really popular, so, though disappointed, knew that there would be little chance of me getting a ticket to either DQ or Nutcracker. 

49 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Not an Insight but the ROH is giving free tours as part of the Open House Festival 9 and 10 September

Royal Opera House (openhouse.org.uk)

I thought it worth highlighting the details which include an option to book future tours at discount price of £15.

Tours - 9th and 10th September

Tours run across the weekend (9-10 September) and last 30 minutes each. They explore the architecture of our world-famous building and its transformation over the centuries – and reveal how the historic and the contemporary connect seamlessly to create an epic urban set piece, the experience of which is as exhilarating as the action taking place on and off-stage. Please note that these tours do not enter the auditorium, but do enter the Royal Retiring Room, which is normally closed to the public. 

Over the weekend (9-10th September), visitors are also welcome to explore the Royal Opera House’s Front of House spaces, and make use of an exclusive 10% discount in the Shop (if ‘Open House’ is quoted at the till) and a 10% discount on food and drink in the Piazza restaurant or Café. Future tours can be booked for just £15 if tickets are purchased in person over the weekend.

5 hours ago, PeterS said:

Tours ... explore the architecture of our world-famous building and its transformation over the centuries – and reveal how the historic and the contemporary connect seamlessly to create an epic urban set piece, the experience of which is as exhilarating as the action taking place on and off-stage.

Um, no - the experience of this 'epic urban set piece' is NOT as exhilarating as the action on stage (or off stage, whatever that means). Nothing is more exhilarating than what happens on stage (at least on a good night). And the tour doesn't include the auditorium, which is the whole point of the building and the most significant area into which there is normally no access unless you have a ticket!

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, alison said:

Blimey - what have they gone up to now?

£19.

16.75 for students, unwaged  and <16

Edited by oncnp

Whoever writes this kind of ‘promo speak’ ?

I wandered around the building a few years back when the Open House initiative afforded the first opportunity to see all the changes. It seemed like a good way of drawing people in if those I spoke to in the new Linbury Theatre were anything to go by. I wonder how many visitors returned for a show?

• Like 2

On 26/08/2023 at 11:45, oncnp said:

Another new Insight

18 NOVEMBER 2023, 12PM
CLORE STUDIO
BALLET AND DANCE

a bit more information as booking opens next week

£40

In an afternoon of talks, panel discussion and rehearsals, this event examines the powerful legacy of a choreographer much neglected in the history of 20th-century dance. Overshadowed by the fame of her brother, the legendary dancer Vaslav Nijinsky, and battling opportunity undermined by gender, Nijinska stands today as an uncompromising and pioneering figure of modern ballet. Her landmark works including Les Noces, Les Biches and Le Train Bleu, and her magnificent collaborations with the likes of fashion designer Coco Chanel and composer Igor Stravinsky, inspired the choreographers who took up the creative baton in the 20th century such as Frederick Ashton and George Balanchine.

Curated by the choreographer Avatâra Ayuso, and with guests including former Royal Ballet Director Dame Monica Mason and Lynn Garafola, author of La Nijinska: Choreographer of the Modern, the Insight will feature rehearsals with dancers of The Royal Ballet and The Royal Ballet School. In the centenary year of Les Noces, one of Nijinska’s most emblematic works, this event is a timely celebration of an inspirational artist.

Please note that some Insight events will be filmed.

Edited by oncnp

41 minutes ago, oncnp said:

a choreographer much neglected in the history of 20th-century dance

All sounds wonderful. How sad that the Royal Ballet isn't actually going to perform any of her work.

(Edited to say... if the company and school are 'rehearsing' are we looking forward an announcement of a revival of Les Noces at some point in the near future?)

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 7

Yes, quite -  they’re giving piecemeal to an important and influential female choreographer.  Wouldn’t it be great to actually celebrate these pioneering women, without whom ballet wouldn’t have developed the way it has, by actually mounting their works, rather than just talking about them?  ENB are performing a new version of Les Noces in Nijinska’s centenary year, wouldn’t it have been a nice and fitting tribute to dance Nijinska’s version instead?  What a wasted opportunity; once these works drop out of company’s repertoires, I’m afraid they’re gone for good as no one will be able to pass them on. 

• Like 5

So someone, somewhere within the ROH organisation recognises that the choreographic legacy of Nijinska is worth marking, and yet the resident company does not seem to think it’s worthwhile dancing either Les Noces or Les Biches in their centenary years. (Arguably Les Biches is in more dire need of a revival).
Hopefully the Insight is a sign of something to come but somehow I doubt it & do wonder how much this event has been driven by archivists, dance historians or the music department rather than the Royal Ballet itself. I would love to be proved wrong. 

• Like 5

Tickets appear to be on sale for the Nijinska Insight now (v. Next week as previously announced)

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Tickets appear to be on sale for the Nijinska Insight now (v. Next week as previously announced)

You're right - I've just booked a ticket. I'm a standard Friend and wasn't expecting booking to be open until my ticket booking date! (Since that's what the email told me...). Thank you @oncnp. I hope you can get a ticket too now, @SheilaC.

P.S. It still says 'Buy Tickets' even when I'm not signed in, so being a Friend doesn't seem to be relevant. (Maybe this is a mistake and booking will close again shortly! Who knows.)

Edited by bridiem
Sentence and P. S. added
  • Like 3

Nothing came up for me when I used the search box for the Nijinksa insight - I had to scroll all the way through all the insights to find it! I also could have done with knowing how long it was going to last - 'extended' and 'afternoon of' is a bit vague when thinking about time off work, childcare, trains, hotels...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

Nothing came up for me when I used the search box for the Nijinksa insight - I had to scroll all the way through all the insights to find it! I also could have done with knowing how long it was going to last - 'extended' and 'afternoon of' is a bit vague when thinking about time off work, childcare, trains, hotels...

I have a note that it ends at 5.30pm, but I don't know where I got that from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bridiem said:

It was in the Friend’s’ ENews that was sent last Friday.

NB: The event has now been taken off sale. The fact that it was on sale yesterday was clearly a ‘mis-step’ by the IT department!

Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, bridiem said:

Confirmed by box office

the event will last from 12.00 to 5.30pm.

Part I 12noon - 2pm

Interval 60 minutes

Part II 3pm - 5.30pm

Intrigued to see the paragraph about rehearsals with RB dancers and RBS students and the mention of Les Noces. Wonder if it will include excerpts from Nijinska’s other works like Les Biches and Le train bleu.  Perhaps Les Noces might be staged for RBS. I’d like to see Les Biches revived by the Royal Ballet in a mixed bill. 

• Like 2