Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

38 minutes ago, capybara said:

I understand that the ‘cast’ for the Insight does NOT include William Bracewell but will feature three dancers who will be appearing in Mayerling.

Thank you for clarification.  It did seem rather unlikely to me to include shadow cast when there are plenty of casts needing audience exposure.  And of course every rehearsal adds to the depth of interpretation. 

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Et voilà, no more suspense:

ROYAL BALLET IN REHEARSAL

15.09.2022 7:30 PM

APPROXIMATE TIMINGS

The rehearsal lasts about 1 hour 15 minutes. There is no interval.

GUIDANCE

Intermediate

Suitable for those who wish to explore the art form in more depth. All events are suitable for ages 14 upwards unless otherwise stated.

CAST

Presenter

Petroc Trelawny

Director of the Royal Ballet

Kevin O'Hare

Guest Speaker

Lady Deborah MacMillan

Guest Répétiteur

Zenaida Yanowsky

Head of Music

Robert Clark

Principal of The Royal Ballets

Matthew Ball, Mayara Magri, Laura Morera

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

This Insight was far more than I was expecting; quite mesmerising, in a distinctly steamy way. Could have watched Mayara guiding Matt and Laura for at least another hour. It felt like they weren't performing for us but as if we were eavesdropping as they progress through the process. To see elite performers like this is such a treat. Marvellous.

Can't wait to see them in 3 weeks. Five steamed up spectacles out of five.

p.s. as it was still early I wandered over Waterloo Bridge and traced the queue for Westminster Hall back to Tower Bridge, which was not the end.  What a sight, what an atmosphere. Quite the evening, all told.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I caught the Mayerling Insight last night which I thought was the last opportunity to see it but I’m delighted to say it was still on YouTube this morning. I’d seen one or two clips but been tied up with other things.

Seeing Laura Morera dance Mary Vetsera and then coach Mayara Magri dance Larisch was simply astonishing: every step or gesture revealing rich understanding of both characters. How wonderful it will be to see her Mary and Larisch in performance.  And very good to see Matthew Ball’s Rudolph develop during the rehearsal.

A fabulous Insight, do catch it if you haven’t seen it, and very much looking forward to the Mayerling run (Avanti permitting).

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I caught the Mayerling Insight last night which I thought was the last opportunity to see it but I’m delighted to say it was still on YouTube this morning. I’d seen one or two clips but been tied up with other things.

The Insights usually stay on YouTube for quite a long time (months if not years) but that may be changing with the rumored new streaming service. 

• 4 months later...

I can't find the WW insight online either - does anyone know if it was filmed and if so how to access it? Thanks - but I realise it probably wasn't. So this is just a hopeful query ....

Edited by J_New

11 minutes ago, J_New said:

I can't find the WW insight online either - does anyone know if it was filmed and if so how to access it? Thanks - but I realise it probably wasn't. So this is just a hopeful query ....

According to Yuhui Choe it wasn’t filmed and was actually their first rehearsal with Wayne McGregor. 
Such a shame for us but I guess takes off the pressure for them! Just a little unfair given tickets are like gold dust!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, J_New said:

From the ROH Box office 

We would have loved to have filmed that Insight, but unfortunately it couldn’t be accommodated in the Film and Broadcast schedule.

We only stream approximately 50% of Insights- because of resources (staff, Film and Broadcasts schedules, and funding). It is always listed as filmed on the website with a link to YouTube if the Insight is going to be filmed.

With best wishes,

Graham Boland
Customer Services Manager

• 3 weeks later...

On the WW Insight, they were using Max Richter's music which is not ROH copyrighted. Also, Youtube is very, very fussy about that.

Best I understand, it's quite a palaver sorting that out, and rarely happens in timely fashion.

Edited by postie

13 hours ago, Tebasile said:

Does anyone know what this Insight might involve? Will there be a rehearsal element or just discussions with the production team?

usually, there is a mix of rehearsal and chat about the production

5 minutes ago, alison said:

Where's that Fairy Godmother when you need her?

Quite obviously NOT in Alison's office!!!  Do you see any pumpkins out of the window, Alison?  If so, I hear they are of the 'technical error' variety.  Sadly, hardly rare nowadays ... :)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3