Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I don't see anything in the email to suggest this is for Friends only (the link is to the ROH YouTube channel landing page).

The original post was from a Friend's email. The ROH must have made it generally available since. Thanks. 

On 14/02/2022 at 08:47, oncnp said:

Since this is a Friends event you may have to click through the original e-mail......

This is a public event I got a ticket for. However, as it's streaming on YouTube anyway, I'm wondering whether there's much point in going in person - especially as I believe it's quite short in length?

Not that I can usually justify going to ROH events (travelling from Liverpool & probable overnight stay) I would say that I used to go to events that lasted about an hour at Northern Ballet and it is always worth seeing them in the flesh rather than on a screen.

If you've got a ticket go for it!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

There is usually a 15 minute or so Q&A session after the rehearsal that is not streamed.

Will the one tonight definitely be streamed though? Just wondering because when events are set to stream on YouTube, they're usually already listed with an option to add a reminder for when they start. That doesn't seem to be up on their YouTube channel just yet

1 minute ago, whatkindofbird said:

Oh sorry, thanks for the correction @art_enthusiast — I meant the in person event is not free but of course if it's on YouTube it'll be free of charge 😊

However, I'm not sure if it's being live-streamed because it doesn't say "camera filming" for the event description. 

Here's a link on YouTube to the event: 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So, it starts at 7.45 for some reason - can anyone else tell me if it's 1 hour or 1 1/4 hours, as two sources seem to say something different?  I'm probably going to have to stay and watch it from the office, because my home broadband is down (we were swapped onto a new provider a couple of days ago, and apparently our routers aren't compatible :( ) 

7 minutes ago, whatkindofbird said:

Thanks! It's so weird, I also don't have the email (shared a few posts ago) sharing the streaming link. 

and the link in my Friends e-mail doesn't take one to that page.....

1 hour ago, alison said:

So, it starts at 7.45 for some reason - can anyone else tell me if it's 1 hour or 1 1/4 hours, as two sources seem to say something different?  I'm probably going to have to stay and watch it from the office, because my home broadband is down (we were swapped onto a new provider a couple of days ago, and apparently our routers aren't compatible :( ) 

it is scheduled for 1hr 15mins

And it is Zenaida Yanowsky coaching Fumi Kaneko and Federico Bonelli - I assume in Swan Lake

• Like 4

Thanks for info all 😊
Its just I’m staying over in London tonight where only entertainment will be the radio or my iPhone!! 
The only thing is there’s no WiFi so can you watch YouTube that’s going out live on 4G etc? I know you can watch it after the event I’ve just been watching the Olympic ice dance skating on YouTube but when it’s been streamed I’m not sure if it works without WiFi 🤔 

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Thanks for info all 😊
Its just I’m staying over in London tonight where only entertainment will be the radio or my iPhone!! 
The only thing is there’s no WiFi so can you watch YouTube that’s going out live on 4G etc? I know you can watch it after the event I’ve just been watching the Olympic ice dance skating on YouTube but when it’s been streamed I’m not sure if it works without WiFi 🤔 

If your 4G data is working, it will definitely work. Are you hotspotting via your phone or using a 4G dongle?

Just now, LinMM said:

Err what? 
1) what is hot spotting ?

2) not sure what a dongle is 🙄…I thought it was some lead which goes into your phone and then attaches to TV? Except there’s no Tv!! 

You can connect dongles to your laptop for a 4G hotspot if you have bad WiFi. I've used them in the past, they're good. You connect them via the USB port.
Hotspotting is where you use your phone's 4G data and connect that to your laptop, if your WiFi isn't working.

• Like 1

Many thanks for explaining all that. 
I’ve just the phone here! We do have a nice computer when at home and I’ve got an old IOS 9.5 iPad but no laptops! 
Tonight just me and my 4G 

Will see what happens later! 
Thankyou for being so helpful. 

• Like 1

Well art_enthusiast your link worked beautifully many thanks again! 
I got a pretty good quality broadcast with only one hiccup when after about five minutes the battery sign came up on my phone and I had to dash around trying to remember where I’d put the phone charger up here as haven’t used for a while! 
Anyway that sorted I really enjoyed this insight….. nice to see Yanowsky still around and some interesting bits of info like the Tchaikovsky pas de deux music ( choreographed by Balanchine) was originally meant for Swan Lake!! 

Im always amazed when you see dancers as fragile looking as Fumi suddenly belt out all these amazing steps as strong as an ox …but of course with great beauty!  I can’t take my eyes of her feet they are so perfect!! 
Im lucky in that I’m going to see Fumi and Frederico in Swan Lake in a couple of weeks time and this insight showed it’s going to be brilliant performances from them both. If any tickets come up I’d definitely grab one anyway. 

I love the word dongle by the way. 
I will check there isn’t one hidden away at home ….quite likely as I take a very low key role where technology is concerned so wouldn’t recognise one if I saw one!! 

• Like 2

As noted previously the upcoming  Insights: Behind the Scenes with Music Staff of The Royal Ballet has changed locations to the Linbury. Refunds are apparently available per this e-mail

According to our records you have a booking for Insights: Behind the Scenes with Music Staff of The Royal Ballet on 22 February 2022 at 7.45pm.

We have made the decision to move the location of this event from the Clore Studio to the Linbury Theatre.

You now have the following options

Move your tickets to the Linbury Theatre: Pricing for the Linbury will be exactly the same as your original booking, so your tickets will be automatically moved to the new location. You do not need to do anything. You will receive an email confirmation once this has been completed and you can download your new e-tickets.

Cancel your booking and receive a refund or account credit: Please contact the box office using the button below to make your request.

and a new one (I think)

Insights: Interrogating the Ballerina
8 March 2022, 7.45pm
The event will last approximately 1 hour 15 minutes.
£16

Join us for a panel discussion examining society's perception of the female ballet dancer, marking International Women's Day 2022. The discussion will take the image of the 19th-century dancer as the starting point for a wider discussion about preconceptions, prejudices and shifting representations of women in ballet up to the present day.

Former Director of The Royal Ballet Dame Monica Mason will be joined by current Principal Sarah Lamb, Curator of Dance at the V&A Jane Pritchard, and dramaturg Uzma Hameed, who worked on Wayne McGregor’s trailblazing The Dante Project.

Insights: Interrogating the Ballerina (roh.org.uk)

On 22/02/2022 at 22:02, oncnp said:

now on YouTube 

Insights: Behind the Scenes with Music Staff of The Royal Ballet

Insights: Behind the Scenes with Music Staff of The Royal Ballet - YouTube

Lovely to see Madison Bailey and Liam Boswell rehearsing the Neapolitan Dance from Act 3 Swan Lake (with Gary Avis and Koen Kessels having somewhat different opinions  about the correct tempo).

• Like 4